WSL Cup 20/21 | Everton v United - Wed 16 Dec at 7pm

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We're already out of the WSL Cup so we're playing for pride in this one. The same is almost true of Everton - they'd need to win by a huge margin to move into one of the best runner-up spots.

With any luck it'll be a night where players who haven't had much game time (Zelem, McManus, Ross, Okvist etc) can have some and the younger ones (like Bentley) as well, and I'll be disappointed if Fuso doesn't play. I also hope that we don't need to play some of our key players - people like Galton, Groenen and Heath could do with a night off. The rest of the story, I guess depends on the injury list. Lucy Staniforth is the new injury from Saturday, and so far it seems no one has left it - it includes Alessia Russo (longterm) Martha Harris, Jess Sigsworth, Emily Ramsey, Lauren James, Christen Press.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
I would love to see Fuso get some playing time and with the injury list I think Casey will think this is the right time to utilize her for upcoming fixtures till more of our players return

Lightbringer

Groenen starting again in this meanless game, are we not allowed to put in a junior or something instead? With a game in the weekend I wish we could rest her. Its a great shame so many players are injured. I hope Jackie will be subbed at halftime at least.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
For fecks sake!! At least sub Fuso on in the second half Casey!! We are all waiting to see how she does on the pitch and we are hurting immensely by seeing her on the bench

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Groenen starting again in this meanless game, are we not allowed to put in a junior or something instead? With a game in the weekend I wish we could rest her. Its a great shame so many players are injured. I hope Jackie will be subbed at halftime at least.
Yep, I admit I'd have been happier if Ladd, Groenen, Galton had a night off. Looks like Casey doesn't believe in giving games away - perhaps good psychology given where we are. Still, I'd have like to see Fuso start, if only out of curiosity - hopefully she does get to play today.

The U21 team had a match today as well, which may have influenced things - perhaps we wanted to win them both!

RORY65

For fecks sake!! At least sub Fuso on in the second half Casey!! We are all waiting to see how she does on the pitch and we are hurting immensely by seeing her on the bench
I get not starting her, she's had injuries and hasn't played a minute yet but she has to have some involvement today. I'm surprised a couple of the regulars (Groenen especially) are starting but I guess we are playing the team bottom of the league at home at the weekend then we have the break so it's not as big a deal and it would still be nice to get a result tonight. It would be nice for the club to give a bit more clarity on some of the injured players but I suppose they have no obligation to do so and they must consider their to be some benefit to not making it public.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Minus the finishing United have been absolutely dominant in this game with their pressing game and almost perfect defense. Now it's just to put the ball in the back of the net

madi5h

need to see fuso in the 2nd half, ross proving as usual that shes not quite at this level

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Minus the finishing United have been absolutely dominant in this game with their pressing game and almost perfect defense. Now it's just to put the ball in the back of the net
Yep 0-0 doesn't really tell the story today. We're just not quite crisp enough to make the chances or take them. Whether that's because it's effectively a dead match, or something else I don't know. Certainly need to see a bit more quality in the second half.

Lightbringer

I am totally chill about the loss since we were already out. I also tend to believe its good that we lost a game to keep the team and fans grounded a bit. Its a bit concerning when I see people talking like we are already the dominant team of english football etc. We´ve done well, but lets not get carried away, the season is long. I´d like for the fanbase to stay humble.

Is Fuso in Stoneys doghouse? Or is she being eased in after her injury? I was shocked she did not get more playing time tonight in a meaningless game.

Not everyone is relaxed about the loss though :-)

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I am totally chill about the loss since we were already out. I also tend to believe its good that we lost a game to keep the team and fans grounded a bit. Its a bit concerning when I see people talking like we are already the dominant team of english football etc. We´ve done well, but lets not get carried away, the season is long. I´d like for the fanbase to stay humble.

Is Fuso in Stoneys doghouse? Or is she being eased in after her injury? I was shocked she did not get more playing time tonight in a meaningless game.

Not everyone is relaxed about the loss though :-)

I'm fascinated that someone is putting effort into a Danny Drinkwater parody account that has 15 followers :lol:

How did Fuso look? Not even sure what kind of player she is.

madi5h

fair point however however a i believe a little external pressure from the fanbase is always important to keep players and managers honest
for an example, the one large mistake i think casey has made was signing jane ross, i just dont think shes good enough for this level but casey keeps falling back to her to try and prove herself right when she has clear better options available,

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
fair point however however a i believe a little external pressure from the fanbase is always important to keep players and managers honest
for an example, the one large mistake i think casey has made was signing jane ross, i just dont think shes good enough for this level but casey keeps falling back to her to try and prove herself right when she has clear better options available,
The thing is the Players and Casey have always been honest in their post match interviews, they don't beat around the bush and I always speak what is on their minds. If they didn't like their performance they are upfront with it including Casey. When it comes to post match interviews Casey doesn't hold anything back, she is brutally honest in her assessment and strives for perfection which makes her one of the best Managers in the WSL so far.

And with that my post count is expired till after midnight. Catch y'all tomorrow

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Obviously Casey did cause she fielded her somewhat strongest 11 on that field. She wanted to win no matter what, even if we were already eliminated

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Eh? Russo's out long-term, Press has been ill, James and Sigsworth are injured. Fuso has been recovering from a big injury. Ross has scored 60 international goals and played a similar role at City for 3 years. Pretty sure Stoney is just trying to manage the players she has available rather than any strange ego trip.

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Eh? Russo's out long-term, Press has been ill, James and Sigsworth are injured. Fuso has been recovering from a big injury. Ross has scored 60 international goals and played a similar role at City for 3 years. Pretty sure Stoney is just trying to manage the players she has available rather than any strange ego trip.
Russo is back doing light training, Press is back in training, James is still out injured, Sigsworth played yesterday for till she was subbed off for Tobin Heath, Fuso was subbed on for Ross after Everton took the lead. As for Ross I am not a huge critic of her cause she was recruited by Casey for a reason but most of the criticism of her it seems that she isn't living up to her billing

madi5h

for me the better option in this case was to start fuso, that way you could judge how much time she was fit for and replaced her with ross when she tired.
but i was more talking about every other time she played, as i remember asking myself every time ive seen her in the lineup, why such and such wasnt starting ahead of her

also ego trip are your words not mine, wanting to right your mistakes instead of acknowledging them and moving on is natural but not always for the best

Last edited:

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
for me the better option in this case was to start fuso, that way you could judge how much time she was fit for and replaced her with ross when she tired.
but i was more talking about every other time she played, as i remember asking myself every time ive seen her in the lineup, why such and such wasnt starting ahead of her

also ego trip are your words not mine, wanting to right your mistakes instead of acknowledging them and moving on is natural but not always for the best
To quote Hayley Ladd when it comes to Egos: "We haven't got any egos or anyone getting ahead of themselves. We're a hardworking bunch who just keep grafting & wanting the best for each other."

kundalini

Someone who watched the game already please do a summary of Fuso if you can. I'm intrigued by what she offers our attack.
She barely saw the ball but here goes:

- relatively short

- probably reasonably fast from what I could see

- her one moment involved a decent link-up with Katie Zelem, found some space inside the area, demanded the ball back, nice skill from Zelem, Fuso tame left foot shot from a slight angle, easy save

No opportunities to assess her hold-up play. I'd be surprised if she offered much in this respect, given her height, but who knows ?

She came on for Jane Ross but I wonder if a more natural switch might have been with Sigsworth, as a wide forward.

In the Bristol City match she saw a bit more of the ball. Played 2nd striker/no 10 role. Likes to carry the ball forwards at pace then pass. Technical ability looks decent. Still struggles to get involved compared to other players. Seemed to work hard off the ball. Right-footed.

Last edited: