WSL Cup 22/23 | Durham v United - Wed 26 Oct 7:00 pm

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
On the one hand I want us to win something this season so I do want us to win this convincingly and give us a chance of qualifying for the knockouts. On the other hand, I do think that unless they're injured we need to give some of the squad some playing time - including the ones Skinner seems reluctant to use, even when they look like the obvious subs. Let's win it and use the squad then :D

Durham have been tough opponents for us in the past, but they've had a slow start to the season (P5 W2 D1 L2 in the Championship) - they won their opening WSL Cup match on penalties.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Zelem shoots wide on the first penalty. Durham score.

Turner's rather soft penalty is saved. Durham score.

Boe Risa scores. Durham score.

Le Tissier's shot is saved.

Game over - Durham win on penalties.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Very disappointing to conceed right at the end of each half

Seems our women's have the same penalties curse as the men unfortunately

I dont really understand this cup format though - it's a group stage but you still can't have a draw ?!

Lightbringer

United still have not learned that the best penalty is to put the ball in the middle of the net as the goalkeeper will go one of the sides. Embarrassing performance overall.

Baggaley once again showing she is terrible at penalty kicks, so nothing new there.

In the 93th minute Leon and Parris got a 2 on 1 from center field only for Nikita to waste it with a horrible pass to Leon and Durham instead scored with the last kick, very poor.

Can we bring up the junior girls team to play the rest of this tournament? Is that allowed? Because there is zero reason to waste energy of having our main players traveling or playing in this competition.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Disappointing result after a disappointing performance. All the more annoying because Villa dropped a point last night and we could have been back in the chase with a decent result in this.

It's tempting to blame rotation but after last weekend's performance against Leicester, that's too easy an out. Same story in many ways - we looked like we saw possession as being more important than what we did with it.

It's not just our finishing or even the final ball that's letting us down - we aren't getting that far. We created very few chances. Too slow in the build-up and too inaccurate in our passing. If I was feeling generous I'd have a go at the pitch, and the unfamiliar lineup - but this was more or less the same performance as against Leicester.

Least said about individual players the better really. Vilde Boe Risa reminded us that she's a good player. Maya le Tissier reminded us that she can double up as a fullback. Tounkara looked good as an individual defender but was as guilty as anyone when it came to our collective defending - maybe unsurprising given her lack of match time.

I'm sure Skinner will talk about the lessons of the match. I can't help but feel that he's one of the people who needs to be learning from them.