WSL Cup 22/23 | group stage draw

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Makes a change from the last few years to get Sheffield United and Villa (rather than City and Liverpool). Of course we have been drawn against Durham and Everton in past draws, but that's inevitable giving the regional structure used.

Lightbringer

"The three clubs who have qualified for the 2022-23 UEFA Women’s Champions League – Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City - will be exempt from the group stage, and will enter at the quarter-final.

However, should Arsenal or Manchester City exit the UEFA Women’s Champions League in round one or two, they will enter the FA Women’s Continental Tyres League Cup at the group stage and will be drawn in an existing group of four clubs in the appropriate geographical grouping."

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
"The three clubs who have qualified for the 2022-23 UEFA Women’s Champions League – Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City - will be exempt from the group stage, and will enter at the quarter-final.

However, should Arsenal or Manchester City exit the UEFA Women’s Champions League in round one or two, they will enter the FA Women’s Continental Tyres League Cup at the group stage and will be drawn in an existing group of four clubs in the appropriate geographical grouping."
Wild!

Only in women's football can you have a group draw that isn't a group draw...

That said, even if City get knocked out, according to that statement of the rules they can't get added to our group - because we're in a 5 club group.

Lightbringer

Wild!

Only in women's football can you have a group draw that isn't a group draw...

That said, even if City get knocked out, according to that statement of the rules they can't get added to our group - because we're in a 5 club group.
I wont believe that until I see them in a different group - we know they love City VS United matchups, I am sure they can tweak the rules a bit, haha.

How do you feel about the 3 CL teams skipping the group stages btw? Its a bit interesting concept and the only reason why we avoided City this time - FOR NOW :D

No City in CL = full party mode ;)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I wont believe that until I see them in a different group - we know they love City VS United matchups, I am sure they can tweak the rules a bit, haha.

How do you feel about the 3 CL teams skipping the group stages btw? Its a bit interesting concept and the only reason why we avoided City this time - FOR NOW :D

Come on Madrid!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

It's happened in the mens's game before so nothing really unusual.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It's happened in the mens's game before so nothing really unusual.
It's no different in principle to how the LC and FACup operate.

What's amusing for us is that we seemed to keep drawing City in the group stage of this. The one time I'm pleased to announce that we're going to see a bit of variety in opponents - it turns out we couldn't have drawn them :D

MUW4Eva

It is just great to not play City yet again, although playing Durham yet again is somewhat annoying.

Does give us a chance to actually win a game in 90 mins on their pitch, which I don't think we have ever done.....oddly enough....they are seemingly our bogey side!