WSL Cup: Everton Ladies V United | Thurs 13 Dec - United won 0-3 and are in the QF

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
After a tough weekend and a defeat in the League, we're up against a WSL1 team next. We need to win to guarantee that we go through to the quarter-final stage of the Cup - the top two in the group go through. Everton are managed by Willie Kirk our old assistant coach, and they're in the top division. It should be a good night and I wouldn't be surprised if some United fans show up (including RedCafeteers).

OK, the match is in Southport so it's an hour or so from OT, but they are almost our neighbours and not many of us get the chance to get to a United away :smirk:

Everton's match with Liverpool (that should have been played in Tranmere last night) was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, hence the discrepancy in games played.

Match tickets are available from the Southport FC ticket office - they send you an email ticket. I think they're normally available on the night as well - but from the club ticket office near the ground rather than on the turnstile.
https://southportfc.ktckts.com/brand/everton

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Sunday was not a good day for us, nor for Everton. Everton lost 0-2 against Bristol, we lost 1-3 against Durham. On Thursday night we're up against our old assistant manager, Willie Kirk, who knows us, our tactics, the players and the set pieces.

Everton's cup match with Liverpool will be played on Sunday. If we win on Thursday we qualify. Anything else and it's anyone's guess.

Everton are playing their home games in Southport at the moment. They got a crowd of 211 on Sunday. I'm hoping that we'll have some United fans there on Thursday night. It's a 7pm kickoff, but if you can get there give it a try. I reckon we'll be Everton's biggest crowd of the season, but there will be plenty of space. You can buy your ticket online, they email it to you, or at Southport's ticket office on the night

If you've not been to a women's game before, don't be scared, once they kick off it all seems perfectly normal. :D

RedPamie

Was confident before Willie moved there. He got the advantage of knowing our recent tactics and strengths and weaknesses of our players.

Hopefully we'll win. Don't care if it's only 1-0 smash and grab.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
No sign of any video/radio coverage for tonight's match. So the main sources are going to be:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ManUtdWomen
https://mobile.twitter.com/EvertonLadies
It's a 7pm kickoff.

A couple of us are going to the match. If anyone else is and wants to meet up at the ground, send me a PM. From the looks of the weather forecast, wear gloves, otherwise it might be a Bovril for handwarming night!

RedPamie

Well you should :)
Would be nice to out numbered Everton fans and also sing with the fans :devil::lol:

Kent Devil

Was wondering if the game was going to be on tv. Had kind of accepted that it was not going to be. So thanks for posting this as I would of been none the wiser and probably would of got my info via twitter.

Anyway thanks again for posting the info RedPamie(Can't quote you as I do not have 5 likes yet).

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Was wondering if the game was going to be on tv. Had kind of accepted that it was not going to be. So thanks for posting this as I would of been none the wiser and probably would of got my info via twitter.

Anyway thanks again for posting the info RedPamie(Can't quote you as I do not have 5 likes yet).
Keep up to date with this sub forum mate, @jojojo is really good at keeping the tv coverage up to date.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Missed the first 15 minutes as I didn't realise this was on MUTV, but wow! The girls are doing so well out there! Absolutely dominating Everton who are a league above us!

I still can't see what was wrong with that goal
I don't think anyone knows what was wrong with the goal. It seemed to take a long time for the referee to decide it was a free kick.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
3-0 FT

Well the second half was a lot more competitive than the first, but still a great win. And we've topped the group and made it through to the quarter-final!

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I was there for the first half until the cold weather scared me away. Very impressive to see the skill and commitment showed by the women.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Good performance tonight. Particularly in the first half - United just too fast in thought and action for Everton.

The win sees us go through to the quarter final round as top of the group. This apparently means we are seeded, which is a big deal as we won't play Chelsea, City or Arsenal and we will play the quarter final at home.

RedPamie

Great win wow. This is big. We are in QF!
:devil::lol: before I'd take smash and grab 1-0 win, so can't believe it we won 3-0 and could have been more.

Kent Devil

You look at all the other teams in the knockout stages and every single one of the except united are in the league above. It just shows how good this team really is. And to top the group with three top flight teams in it well it does not get any better.

If the team get promoted they will be a team to be feared.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Loud and proud.

I suspect the area behind the goal isn't normally used at the women's matches and they used the "but we need somewhere to put our banners" tactic. :lol:

As the boss says:
I know it was bitterly cold on the night but i'd have thought there would have been more there for a cup game, was it a hastily arranged fixture, do Everton ladies not attract decent crowds, or was everybody stood/sat camera side ???

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I know it was bitterly cold on the night but i'd have thought there would have been more there for a cup game, was it a hastily arranged fixture, do Everton ladies not attract decent crowds, or was everybody stood/sat camera side ???
Normal for Everton, they had 211 at the weekend for their WSL1 game and that's pretty typical for them, despite match tickets being free for Everton men's season ticket owners. They got 267 on Thursday, that's probably United's smallest crowd of the season, but one of Everton's better home gates

Being in Southport probably doesn't help them. They were in Widnes last year, but that's almost as far from Goodison Park and the attendances weren't much different - but it probably means they don't have much of a local (to the stadium) crowd at all.

Midweeks tend to be problems for women's teams I think. 7pm kickoffs are hard for anyone working, but still finish too late for families with young kids. The family groups that you see at United women's weekend home matches just weren't there at Everton.

We're currently averaging around 2000 at home and we're breaking women's attendance records for people like Lewes, Durham etc on our aways. I think part of that is that the volunteer driven clubs like them are probably excited to have any United team show up, and advertise the occasion. I doubt anyone is doing much marketing for Everton Ladies, and United's name doesn't trigger them into action.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Normal for Everton, they had 211 at the weekend for their WSL1 game and that's pretty typical for them, despite match tickets being free for Everton men's season ticket owners. They got 267 on Thursday, that's probably United's smallest crowd of the season, but one of Everton's better home gates

Being in Southport probably doesn't help them. They were in Widnes last year, but that's almost as far from Goodison Park and the attendances weren't much different - but it probably means they don't have much of a local (to the stadium) crowd at all.

Midweeks tend to be problems for women's teams I think. 7pm kickoffs are hard for anyone working, but still finish too late for families with young kids. The family groups that you see at United women's weekend home matches just weren't there at Everton.

We're currently averaging around 2000 at home and we're breaking women's attendance records for people like Lewes, Durham etc on our aways. I think part of that is that the volunteer driven clubs like them are probably excited to have any United team show up, and advertise the occasion. I doubt anyone is doing much marketing for Everton Ladies, and United's name doesn't trigger them into action.
Thanks for that, they(Everton)have obviously looked at it, but there's plenty of non League venues in and around Merseyside and you'd think playing at say Marine FC or Prescot Cables whose grounds are a damn sight nearer to Goodison Park than Southport or Widnes would boost their gates.

Or if League rules don't prevent them sharing Prenton Park with Liverpool ladies and Tranmere Rovers would make even more sense.