WSL Cup QF 19/20 | United women v Brighton | Wed 15th Jan at 7:30

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So, with the Liverpool match postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, next match up is back at Leigh, and it's in the WSL Cup. We've already played Brighton at Leigh in WSL1 and won that 4-0. Their League form has been poor this season P12 W2 D3 L7 but as we lost our last match to bottom of the table Bristol, nothing can be taken for granted.

Annoyingly this one clashes with our FA Cup replay against Wolves so I won't be able to go. Scheduling is going to be an ongoing problem really for the women's game as it tries to get its head round the idea that the newer clubs (in particular) like United, have fans who expect to see both teams play.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

A real shame about the clash with the Wolves game.
Millie Turner apparently carrying a knock. Looks like a 4-4-2 maybe? Is this match being broadcast at all? MUTV is covering the FA Cup game, and I can't see anything on the FA Player either.

buchansleftleg

Brighton have been pressing well. The goal rocked them for 5 minutes but we just missed a couple of chances. Their #9 looks a physical threat but has just made one run into the box with menace so far.

buchansleftleg

Half time and it stays 1-0 somehow. Hope Powell's Brighton showing some class and threat in that half. Not just dependent on lumping it up to their big #9.

United getting in some good crosses but not quite getting another goal.

"Next goal crucial" is no doubt what the pundits would say.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Thanks for the updates @buchansleftleg , let's hope they can settle it in the 2nd half.

If you want an update from Old Trafford, its 0-0 and its shit. That's all.

buchansleftleg

Start the second half quite flat, we struggle to deal with their height. Ref gives a penalty to Brighton but they hit the crossbar.

United have been telegraphing their passes a bit... maybe time for some guile from the bench?

buchansleftleg

Last 10-15 minutes descended into a farcical referee display....letting them push and clothesline James, and giving Brighton over 6 minutes of added time when we had 3 minor knocks.

Really impressed by Casey Stoney today. I would have expected her to take off Ross who had run a lot but had little impact.

She played Ladd at the back and brought on 2 extra attackers and changed the momentum of the game immediately. It felt like Brighton were going to equalise but we got the vital second goal thanks to Casey's changes.

Grande

Well done to fo to the semi’s. Only team outside the big three to get there!

Katie Zelem involved in both goals, Casey Stoney with some good subs, and a goal for Jane Ross. Good cup day for United!

Bogga

Well done ladies! Lets forget these last tough games and get back to winning every game!

Lightbringer

Chelsea at home for the semi-finals. That must be considered a good draw since it was home? From what I have seen, I reckon we have had the most trouble with Arsenal also.