WSL Cup QF: United Women v West Ham | United win 2-0 to go into the semifinals

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

West Ham are currently sixth in WSL1 with a record of W5 D1 L5. That means they're just below Reading, but ahead of Liverpool and Everton.

The WSL cup story so far. We came top of our group stage, beating Liverpool and Everton (WSL1 clubs) and Durham, but we lost to WSL1 Reading. Our group stage win gave us a top seed place in the quarter finals, despite being the only Championship club still in - the seeding also meant we got a home tie.

The other QFs:
Chelsea v Reading
Manchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion
Arsenal v Birmingham City

I'm not sure if this is on TV - I can only see MUTV a week ahead - @RedPamie can you see more? I'm also keeping an eye on the BT and BBC schedules, but so far they've not announced coverage of any of the QF games.

RedPamie

Usually I can see up to 2 weeks from my local MUTV right holder, but only can see until Monday Jan 7 now. I can see Bees game is going to be shown live, but not yet info on this game.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We’ve beaten Liverpool and Everton already this season, so why not West Ham?
Indeed. I suspect West Ham are more or less at the same level as us. They're also a new pro team (though they existed as a semipro team before and they opted to go straight into WSL1) and they've established themselves as a solid team very quickly.

We do have home advantage and if we get the first goal we'll be very hard to stop. Most of our problems so far have come with physically strong, defensive teams - statistically at least West Ham aren't one of those. It should be a good match.

Grande

It seems West Ham has been getting better performances under their new coach, and their team is gelling more and more. Any Hammers supporters here who can confirm if this is correct? ;)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

West Ham lost 4-2 to Arsenal at the weekend, but Arsenal are top of the WSL1 so that's no surprise.

It looks like we'll be going to it on form and with some players rested, which isn't a bad base for the game. As has happened a few times this season, we're the only people televising the WSL Cup game - so it's nice that MUTV seem to have got into good habits early.

Phil Neville was at our match against the Bees and only saw 45 minutes of Alex Greenwood and about half an hour of Lauren James. I'm sure Alex will be in the England squad for the She Believes cup at the end of February. I'm still hoping that Phil might take the gamble of inviting Lauren, but so far she's not even played for the U21s so that might be too much to expect.

Dudu

Glad I saw this!

Might just tune in.. been a while since i watched a game.

Andersons Dietician

At the weekend was thinking to myself that Greenwood is so good and multifunctional she could play anywhere and would probably be good in midfield. Here we go hopefully that left foot does some damage tonight from the middle.
Can’t wait for this.

Andersons Dietician

Tell you what only 2 minutes in to the game but you can see the massive difference in quality between London Bees and West Ham. They are properly working the ball about and opening up opportunities. Could be a tough game ahead.

Dudu

At the weekend was thinking to myself that Greenwood is so good and multifunctional she could play anywhere and would probably be good in midfield. Here we go hopefully that left foot does some damage tonight from the middle.
Can’t wait for this.
Agreed. She's certainly got the quality.

When did she transition from LB to deep mid? Or has it only been a handful of games like today?

Andersons Dietician

Couldn’t be anyone else really. molly Green somehow gets the ball in the back of the net. Might be a OG actually.

Andersons Dietician

Agreed. She's certainly got the quality.

When did she transition from LB to deep mid? Or has it only been a handful of games like today?
First time I’ve seen her but she was playing CB at the weekend and looked pretty assured with some nice moments of play which made me think she could play as a CM.

Andersons Dietician

Kinda liking that Lauren James is getting a bit of a proper test. She’s not really had the freedom or influence she normally has and is instead really having to work for it where in most games she doesn’t seem to get out of 2nd gear and coasts through games.

Andersons Dietician

Save!! I mean I know it’s smashed straight at her but you gotta be there for it to hit you. Point blank as well.

Dudu

Cagey game towards the end.. but WH definitely there for the taking. Missed a few good chances to go 2 up there.

Lauren James just has so much time on the ball.

Andersons Dietician

If that had gone in from James oh my word. She needs some of those Sanchez wages. Woody make it happen.

Andersons Dietician

@48 hours thats the one, just effortless.

Good game that and a good test. Feel like we were properly challenged at times and it looked like the ladies really had to work for pretty much everything they got, you could just see West Ham are of a higher quality in terms of structure in their play compared to what we’ve come up against mostly in the championship.

Grande

@48 hours thats the one, just effortless.

Good game that and a good test. Feel like we were properly challenged at times and it looked like the ladies really had to work for pretty much everything they got, you could just see West Ham are of a higher quality in terms of structure in their play compared to what we’ve come up against mostly in the championship.
Three wins out of four against top division teams in our first season, that’s a fairytale right there. Now it’s gonna be United underdogs against one of th big ones. Refreshing!

RedPamie

Wow wow we're in the semi! We wanted it more I guess and it's great to see. Casey wanted this esp if you noticed her selection Sunday.

Nice feeling to again show the women's footballing world what we can do. Buzziiiing

Andersons Dietician

Three wins out of four against top division teams in our first season, that’s a fairytale right there. Now it’s gonna be United underdogs against one of th big ones. Refreshing!
Yeah looking forward to it, could you just imagine if we went on to win the cup. The media would surely have a field day and get behind that and you would think if we do get promoted and achieved that it would be good for the league and draw more eyes to it and probably coverage.

I’m getting carried away but sometimes it’s good to dream. Be really intresting to see us against Arsenal, City or someone like that.

Grande

Yeah looking forward to it, could you just imagine if we went on to win the cup. The media would surely have a field day and get behind that and you would think if we do get promoted and achieved that it would be good for the league and draw more eyes to it and probably coverage.

I’m getting carried away but sometimes it’s good to dream. Be really intresting to see us against Arsenal, City or someone like that.
I think just a game between United and one of those three, at this point, will be an eyebrowraiser.

United - City will be a dream draw, and we’d have next to nothing to lose.

Andersons Dietician

I think just a game between United and one of those three, at this point, will be an eyebrowraiser.

United - City will be a dream draw, and we’d have next to nothing to lose.
I feel like that is actually the one I want the most, wonder if they’d consider having that game at OT if there was the intrest/chance. I’m sure there was mention of them trying to get a game arranged for there at some point and a City vs United game would seem like as good a time as any. Are the semi’s straight knock out or over 2 legs?