WSL Cup SF | Arsenal Women v United | 7 Feb - United lost 2-1

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Arsenal score

Jazz

Man this Arsenal team is tough.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Arsenal that bit better and faster in possession and sharper in finishing. Our central defenders aren't used to the quality (or the quantity!) of attacks they're seeing - the yellow cards are going to weigh heavily on them in the second half I think.

We lost our rhythm after they scored, but it's only one goal difference. Stoney usually does a good job with the HT team talks and formation changes etc, so lets hope we can come out with the same kind of intent that we started with.

Jazz

:(

2 nil to Arse

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Miedema again. She's just too good at the moment.

We've been getting good possession in their final third but the quality not quite there at the moment to turn the possession into goals or even good chances.

Jazz

It's not easy against Miedema ^^
Probably one of the best players in the world at the moment.
She really is quite good. That second goal was very very good.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Miedema again. She's just too good at the moment.

We've been getting good possession in their final third but the quality not quite there at the moment to turn the possession into goals or even good chances.
United will need to sign 2/3 v good players to compete with the top 3 next season. In womens football, 2/3 quality players is the difference between league winners and mid table sides basically. Miedema a clear example.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United will need to sign 2/3 v good players to compete with the top 3 next season. In womens football, 2/3 quality players is the difference between league winners and mid table sides basically. Miedema a clear example.
I think we'll be hoping that a couple of the younger ones like Ella Toone will be ready to really break through next year. But yes, I'm sure they'll want to strengthen - recruitment should be more straightforward though (assuming we're in WSL1).

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I think we'll be hoping that a couple of the younger ones like Ella Toone will be ready to really break through next year. But yes, I'm sure they'll want to strengthen - recruitment should be more straightforward though (assuming we're in WSL1).
Unsure what your actual budget is but would imagine it's probably going to be the biggest. Be interesting to see who moves, WSL fast becoming the favourite destination outside of Lyon now basically for the elite players.

Jazz

Yes! 1 back!

Jazz

That was a much much better 2nd half from us.

Not bad in the end.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Game over. Good last quarter hour from us, but just not quite good enough to stop Arsenal. I think it confirms what we suspected - we look like a WSL1 side, but we've got work to do to join the top teams.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Shame about the result, but a great cup run in the end facing quite a few WSL teams and only coming up short against the best side in English football. Hopefully we can go far in the other cup competition, but even without any recruitments I reckon this side will do quite well in the top division next season.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
The live review I followed made it sound like we were better in the first half?
We were better up until the Arsenal goal. They weren't coping well with our high press and we had a couple of chances early on. After the goal though, Arsenal were finding their way through our press with more ease and game was a lot more difficult after that.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The live review I followed made it sound like we were better in the first half?
We were good until they scored, then looked very nervous for the next 20 minutes with Arsenal dominating possession and dictating the pace for long periods, recovered a bit towards the end of the half. Second half, again we looked adrift for a while, the subs helped though and when we really started chasing the game we pushed Arsenal back well.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Unsure what your actual budget is but would imagine it's probably going to be the biggest. Be interesting to see who moves, WSL fast becoming the favourite destination outside of Lyon now basically for the elite players.
I'm not sure what the transfer window dates are this summer but I suspect there will be quite a few players on the move after the WC in the summer, swapping to new leagues - maybe even some switching continents. The World Cup itself might affect things, especially if England do well - I can imagine Woodward suddenly finding an extra pot of money if they think there's an opportunity to cash in on a wave of excitement :smirk:

Andersons Dietician

Just watched the replay on MUTV. Unlucky, I knew Midiawhatsherface would be an issue. The few times I’ve seen Arsenal this season she has always scored and the first goal was class from her and the pass but feel like Turner could have cut that out. Was totally against the run of play as well.

Grande

We were better up until the Arsenal goal. They weren't coping well with our high press and we had a couple of chances early on. After the goal though, Arsenal were finding their way through our press with more ease and game was a lot more difficult after that.
We were good until they scored, then looked very nervous for the next 20 minutes with Arsenal dominating possession and dictating the pace for long periods, recovered a bit towards the end of the half. Second half, again we looked adrift for a while, the subs helped though and when we really started chasing the game we pushed Arsenal back well.
Makes sense. All in all, does sound like a fairly impressive performance for a newbie in the second level playing away to one of the dominating forces in England for a long time.

Particularly gutsy going at them like that.

Grande

Just watched the replay on MUTV. Unlucky, I knew Midiawhatsherface would be an issue. The few times I’ve seen Arsenal this season she has always scored and the first goal was class from her and the pass but feel like Turner could have cut that out. Was totally against the run of play as well.
Vivianne Miedema is a world class forward. Seen her live, and her movement, instinct and finishing is top class. Our Jessie Sigsworth has some way to go to reach her level (neither is she that kind of striker, though).