WSL Cup: United Women v Reading | 25 August | United lose 0-2

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Big Ed in the crowd, looking like an absolute player with his shades on. I always imagine him being like a character from Wolf on Wall Street.

Good game, tasty tackles going in, no rolling about like you’ve just been shot, just getting back up and going again.
:lol:

Don't have MUTV so will have to keep up with the scores here.

Nice of Ed to support the ladies. Probably enjoying it unlike the games with our lads:D

Jazz

Lauren James is so good.
She really is at only 16.

Spoke to a Gooner friend of mine and she says the Arsenal ladies are so bloody good that it would have been tough for her to break through right now, even though she's super talented. Happy about it as we get to see her develop with our team.

Andersons Dietician

:lol:

Don't have MUTV so will have to keep up with the scores here.

Nice of Ed to support the ladies. Probably enjoying it unlike the games with our lads:D
It’s been a really good game even tho we are losing 1-0. We just put them under pressure as I was writing this, good bit of play and thought we were going to get the equaliser. In extra time now.

Some of the passing from Zelem has been top level, Greenwood certainly showing why she is captain and looks like the perfect choice. Lauren James, at times I thought she was struggiling with the game, maybe a lack of fitness or effort on her behalf but then there are moments when the ball just comes to her and she shows her composure, power, strength and a tun of pace. There have been two moments in the game where she was being harassed had 3 around her and she has binned them, left them for dead with a turn and then picked out a great pass.

Unfortunately or actually impressively we’ve gone full United and gone for the win, flooded bodies forward had them on the backfoot holding on just laying siege and they’ve just gone and caught us on the counter attack. 2-0. Great game tho.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Reading get one on the break when we'd committed everything up front. 2-0 flatters Reading - a lot. Really the biggest difference there was that they scored in a scramble, we missed in our scrambles.

Andersons Dietician

Reading get one on the break when we'd committed everything up front. 2-0 flatters Reading - a lot. Really the biggest difference there was that they scored in a scramble, we missed in our scrambles.
We probably had a lot more chances as well, if Sigsworth finishes that first one probably a very different game. Ran her absolute heart out she was all over the place, looks a proper player, really impressed with her.

Grande

It’s been a really good game even tho we are losing 1-0. We just put them under pressure as I was righting this, good bit of play and thought we were going to get the equaliser. In extra time now.

Some of the passing from Zelem has been top level, Greenwood certainly showing why she is captain and looks like the perfect choice. Lauren James, at times I thought she was struggiling with the game, maybe a lack of fitness or effort on her behalf but then there are moments when the ball just comes to her and she shows her composure, power, strength and a tun of pace. There have been two moments in the game where she was being harassed had 3 around her and she has binned them, left them for dead with a turn and then picked out a great pass.

Unfortunately or actually impressively we’ve gone full United and gone for the win, flooded bodies forward had them on the backfoot holding on just laying siege and they’ve just gone and caught us on the counter attack. 2-0. Great game tho.
Have a feeling many of the Mou-mourners/moaners will turn to this soon.

Jazz

It’s been a really good game even tho we are losing 1-0. We just put them under pressure as I was writing this, good bit of play and thought we were going to get the equaliser. In extra time now.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like we're on the right track. Have faith in our ladies.

Nice we went 'full United':lol: makes a change:(

Disappointed they didn't even get one goal but next time.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Great to see so many turn up for the first home game. Glad to be there despite the result And like the match against Liverpool, we didn't look out of place at all against Reading. I think our best chances came in the first half, before the red card. Greenwood, Zekem and Sigsworth all looked very good. James was better in the second half. And Toone played well when she fame on. Overall I'm delighted with the team. Good effort Ladies!

RedPamie

Gutted we lost. Thought we could nick it, but they are good.

The crowds fantastic! Almost 5k?! Wow.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yes, a decent size crowd today. Good to see it, hopefully that's the kind of kick start that will help them start building a real identity in the area.

Lots of work for the team to do - of course - you only have to look at the age profile of the squad to know that it's about creating a team for next year and the year after that. Good start though against WSL1 opposition, we don't look out of place against top tier teams, we were the better team for long periods, and we didn't fall apart when we fell behind. Frustrating not to get something out of it, but I think they gave the crowd their moneys worth. That'll do for a start.

Grande

It seems Greenwood, Zelem and Sigsworth are likely to be key players this year. Especially Katie Zelem’s eye for a pass should be vital, setting up lively wingers like Arnot, Hanson, Galton or Toone against Championship backs. Can’t wait for the league to start.

Andersons Dietician

It seems Greenwood, Zelem and Sigsworth are likely to be key players this year. Especially Katie Zelem’s eye for a pass should be vital, setting up lively wingers like Arnot, Hanson, Galton or Toone against Championship backs. Can’t wait for the league to start.
Have to say with the very little I’ve seen of Galton, Toone, Arnot and Hanson been impressed with all of them so far. Toone and Galton looked really good when they came on yesterday. Shame they all can’t play together, nice to have options tho.

Was thinking have to give props to the finish of that reading girl for their first goal. That wasn’t an easy take and she dispatched it no bother whatsoever. Can’t wait for the season to start I’m not familiar with the standard of it but going off of how we have performed against 2 more experienced teams in a higher division I think the girls will do well. Anyone more familiar with the WSL2 standards?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Unlucky girls, thoroughly enjoyed that, nice to see a United team play on the front foot all game, everybody seeming to know what their job was, each and everyone of them working their tripe off and having pride at wearing the shirt....

Others impressed more, but think Lizzie Arnot will soon become a fans favourite, she's got an awkward running style(think Waddle)but she does the work of two players, looking forward to how she with her unselfish running and Jess Sigsworth link up as the season progresses. Goals aplenty methinks.

The skill from Katie Zelem(in the 69th minute), and Lauren James(89')the highlight(s) of the match for me, well worth a look

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Shame about the result but Great to see a decent turnout - lots of kids and especially girls, I assume many going to a match for the first time.
Will be interesting to see if this kind of support can be maintained - the difficulty of getting to the ground without a car is an issue, I saw that Altrincham FC is mentioned as another possible venue and that would be much better in that respect, probably a stronger area for general United support as well.

Greenwood is obviously the best player by a long way, I noticed her getting frustrated a few times with other players who arent on her level but its early days I suppose

Last edited:

Grande

Shame about the result but Great to see a decent turnout - lots of kids and especially girls, I assume many going to a match for the first time.
Will be interesting to see if this kind of support can be maintained - the difficulty of getting to the ground without a car is an issue, I saw that Altrincham FC is mentioned as another possible venue and that would be much better in that respect, probably a stronger area for general United support as well.

Greenwood is obviously the best player by a long way, I noticed her getting frustrated a few times with other players who arent on her level but its early days I suppose
You don’t think Katie Zelem’s at the same level?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You don’t think Katie Zelem’s at the same level?
Not yet - shes a bit younger though so could get there

Just to clarify, my view is all based just on this one game - it was my first exposure to any of these players apart from Greenwood who I have seen play for England

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The other match in our group played this week ended in Durham 1-0 Everton.

We don't play on matchday 3 (16 September). But Durham play Liverpool and Reading play Everton that weekend. The cup group matches pause for a while after that, then resume in December.

Grande

The other match in our group played this week ended in Durham 1-0 Everton.

We don't play on matchday 3 (16 September). But Durham play Liverpool and Reading play Everton that weekend. The cup group matches pause for a while after that, then resume in December.
So that means our next league cup match is in December? I’m hooing we can punch above our weight in the FA Cup this year.