WSLCup 19/20 | United women v City | Sunday 20th October - 12 noon

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Next match and we're playing City again. This time though, it's in the League Cup (aka the Continental Cup) group stage. The other teams in our FAWSL Cup group are: Everton (who we'll play away), Birmingham (H) and Leicester (A) - we play each team once and the top two go through. Tough group.

Tickets are £6 online, £6.50 on the day.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I think we can easily take 2nd in this group. Should be between us and Everton. I can't see City dropping points against the other teams so anything we get in this match will be huge. Is James suspended for this match or against Reading? I think all things considered I'd rather have her in the league game against Reading as that could be a really close one.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think we can easily take 2nd in this group. Should be between us and Everton. I can't see City dropping points against the other teams so anything we get in this match will be huge. Is James suspended for this match or against Reading? I think all things considered I'd rather have her in the league game against Reading as that could be a really close one.
You could well be right. Birmingham have started the season badly, having lost some key players, including Hayley Ladd to us. Everton have started this season better than last, that should be a good match but a winnable one.

City are going to be tough of course. So far this season, they've played 7 matches and won 7 - including that first WSL match with us.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A couple of bits of news. As it's a WSLCup match, it's not included on season tickets this season so it's all being sold from https://www.eticketing.co.uk/muticketsandmembership/EDP/Event/Index/4851
There should be tickets available on the gate as well.

According to that, West stand (the one the TV camera faces) has been sold out for a couple of weeks now and South Stand is now sold out as well. They've now moved onto East stand. It should be a good turnout, despite the fact that at least some of us will be heading out directly from Leigh to Old Trafford after the match.

In other news, the match is on MUTV. The Cup matches aren't normally broadcast by anyone, hence why MUTV have this one live.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Despite it being on a Sunday would imagine unless it's a filthy day there should be close to the max:12,000 crowd for the match.
I've not heard any suggestion that the North end (standing area) is open, so I doubt we'll seeing that sort of number. It certainly looks like it'll be our biggest attendance so far at Leigh though - a 5000+ crowd, and it'll be nice to see more of the ground open. Hopefully the shape of things to come.

Personally I like these Sunday at noon matches. They work well with people who like to have that mid-afternoon family Sunday dinner afterwards or watch the late afternoon TV match. Going straight from a tough match at Leigh to a tough match at OT could be a bit heavy for some of the potential crowd though - and of course a bit of a nightmare for anyone doing it by public transport.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I've not heard any suggestion that the North end (standing area) is open, so I doubt we'll seeing that sort of number. It certainly looks like it'll be our biggest attendance so far at Leigh though - a 5000+ crowd, and it'll be nice to see more of the ground open. Hopefully the shape of things to come.

Personally I like these Sunday at noon matches. They work well with people who like to have that mid-afternoon family Sunday dinner afterwards or watch the late afternoon TV match. Going straight from a tough match at Leigh to a tough match at OT could be a bit heavy for some of the potential crowd though - and of course a bit of a nightmare for anyone doing it by public transport.
Oh right, just thought that despite it being a tricky venue to get to, and even harder for those relying on public transport on a Sunday the capacity would be challenged considering 31,213 were at the Etihad only recently.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Leigh is filling up its onsite car parks. I got delayed getting into my favourite car park by a coach load of City fans walking up from the coach park to the ground. :eek:

Morrisons and its cafe are having a busy morning. Some of the locals were talking about it ahead of me at the tills in the shop - one saying, "I thought the (rugby) season had finished." The other explaining, "no, it's United, the women are playing." "That's good," came the reply. Which isn't a bad reaction to getting stuck in a queue.

Grande

Manchester is red! :devil:

To beatuifully taken goals. That’s so thoroughly impressing, beating Spurs and City consecutively! It’s so great to have two exciting wide players like Leah Galton and Kirsty Hanson. And then Katie Zelem to put a freekick in the top corner!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Very impressive, everybody worked their tripe off and took advantage of the heavy legs in the City side after their exploits in midweek and didn't give up for the 90+ minutes and fully deserved the win.

Martha Harris my player of the match, she obviously took advantage of her time on the sidelines to watch Dennis Irwin's video on how a right-footed defender should play on the left. Outstanding.