WSLCup 20/21 | Liverpool v United | 2pm on Wed 7 October

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Our first match as a pro women's team was just over two years ago, and we beat Liverpool away in the group stage of the WSLCup. We were a brand new Championship team then, and they were in WSL1. They got relegated last season, so I guess they're the underdogs now.

They've won their last three league matches, and drew with Durham (tough opponents) before that.

Annoyingly we've got a daytime kickoff, apparently that's because with no crowd it's not worth them turning the lights on. The match is live on MUTV.

Interestingly it's also live on Liverpool FC TV - and they're running a special offer that gives you the first month free. Just saying, like.
Https://video.liverpoolfc.com/
Offer code: 2021GOFREE
Don't forget to cancel :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Some comments from Casey Stoney on the TV rights issue. She also said that she agreed to Liverpool's request for a 2pm kickoff because it gives us a little bit more time to recover - given that we play Spurs on Saturday.

“Visibility of the game is massive at the moment. I think we’re not making the game as visible as it should be, and could be. We’re not showing enough women’s games on BT Sport or us, being allowed as a club to show it on MUTV. We’re only allowed to show three games a season. Now that for me is a nonsense at the moment when the game needs to be visible, so why not give us permission to show all the games? The fans can’t get in the ground. The game is in danger at the moment of losing the fan-base that it has when we’re desperate to grow it. It is on TV which is great. Selfishly, I took the 2pm kick-off because it meant we had more recovery time”.

Himannv

Yeah, I got MUTV hoping to catch more games on the official channel. So far I'm able to at least catch them when they're uploaded later, but it would make a big difference to be able to watch it live and that's my biggest gripe with the service at the moment. Same complaint with the men's games as well though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yeah, I got MUTV hoping to catch more games on the official channel. So far I'm able to at least catch them when they're uploaded later, but it would make a big difference to be able to watch it live and that's my biggest gripe with the service at the moment. Same complaint with the men's games as well though.
If it was going out on BBC or BT (especially if they were paying for it - which they don't at the moment!) then I think it's fair enough to say MUTV can't show it in the UK, though maybe even there they could show games abroad.

The matches that no one broadcasts (like the WSL Cup and WFA Cup) or where FA Player stream it, those ones, MUTV should automatically be able to show. The FA Player thing is simply irritating as MUTV are better at it (commentary, halftime highlights, replays of goals etc), but the matches with no broadcaster at all should certainly be available to the clubs - especially now, while it's all being played without spectators.

Himannv

If it was going out on BBC or BT (especially if they were paying for it - which they don't at the moment!) then I think it's fair enough to say MUTV can't show it in the UK, though maybe even there they could show games abroad.

The matches that no one broadcasts (like the WSL Cup and WFA Cup) or where FA Player stream it, those ones, MUTV should automatically be able to show. The FA Player thing is simply irritating as MUTV are better at it (commentary, halftime highlights, replays of goals etc), but the matches with no broadcaster at all should certainly be available to the clubs - especially now, while it's all being played without spectators.
I get the exclusive rights aspect, but it's hard to accept because you pay for an MUTV subscription; so not getting live Manchester United games on their official channel after spending money on it is just plain disappointing. One reason for doing this was to avoid just getting a river and illegally watching games and the reward for doing the right thing isn't too great.

I suppose it's fair that you get to see it the following day or something, but it's a little less exciting since you probably already know the score.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Attacking lineup to start, and we have Staniforth, Press, Galton, Hanson available on the bench :D Katie Zelem returns after her covid quarantine and rehab. We play Spurs on Saturday so I'm expecting us to use all 4 subs again today.

Lauren James and Ivana Fuso still out injured.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Very disconcerting - United, the officials and Liverpool's keeper all appear to be dressed in black. Hopefully that's just a camera/screen colour problem :wenger:. I'm guessing we wearing the dark green kit.

Good chance for Tobin Heath early on and Alessia Russo has put a freekick over the bar. We've had the possession. Liverpool have had one attack so far that Ramsay dealt well with. 11 minutes in and it's goalless so far.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
McManus scores from a header after Liverpool fail to clear a corner. No VAR so no chance to argue about offside... And we're winning 1-0

Corner came from nice work from Russo followed by a good attempt from Heath that Liverpool deflected over the bar.

30 minutes played.

Dudu

Damn. Thought that was a OG.

Great ball in!!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
HT 1-1. We've been in their half for most of the game but without really getting many shots off, neither keeper had had that much to do so far. We're usually better in the second half though, so let's hope that applies today.

There will be subs made, and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of changes happen at HT.

Lightbringer

So Liverpools youtube channel is broadcasting the game in 1080p for free, while MUTV which is a pay channel delivers it in poor 720P. Very odd. i switched to Liverpools youtube feed.

MUTV need to deliver the games in full HD, why is that not happening already? You would think that the club has the technical and financial resources to make this happen surely?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So Liverpools youtube channel is broadcasting the game in 1080p for free, while MUTV which is a pay channel delivers it in poor 720P. Very odd. i switched to Liverpools youtube feed.

MUTV need to deliver the games in full HD, why is that not happening already?
I watched the weekend's game later and was amazed at the poor quality of the picture. I pay for HD, so expect HD. Very poor.

Lightbringer

I watched the weekend's game later and was amazed at the poor quality of the picture. I pay for HD, so expect HD. Very poor.
The sound quality is bad as well, got some kind of distorted noise to it. When i switched to the Liverpool feed I immediately noticed the difference in audio too. Even the studio audio is poor. I have no idea to why that is.

Is it possible to contact MUTV? It seems like they have done it on purpose so that its impossible to communicate with them at all.

Lightbringer

We really need to win this game obviously, with only the 1st place team guaranteed to move on!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Frustrating after we've had so much of the positional play. But, unless you turn it into goals, it doesn't matter how long this spend in the opposition half. Liverpool will make this very tough - they've been stubborn defensively all through and have no reason to leave any spaces now.