WSLCup 20/21 | Liverpool v United | 2pm on Wed 7 October

Dudu

We've been terrible since they scored the 2nd.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Poor second half from us in the end and a particularly poor response to going behind. Whether that's too many subs or something else, I doubt Casey will be pleased with anyone's performance in that half (probably not even her own!)

3-1 win to Liverpool, and that's the best we've seen them play against us.

Dudu

I'm not seeing that helping today. Unfortunately, we look like we've lost our nerve since their second. Decent run from Galton there, but not sharp enough to turn it into a goal.
Yeah. Too wasteful and they made us pay. Need to be more clinical.

I guess we'll probably need to win our all remaining games to have a chance to moving on?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Gonna have to get more clinical with chances. One to forget but better get those performances out of the way in the cup, just a shame it was to the scouse.

Lightbringer

We are pretty much eliminated from the cup sadly. 3-1 loss against the worst team in the group. Now we need to win both against Everton and City to have a small fraction of a chance to finish as one of the best 2nd place finishers. The best two runner ups from the groups go through. Most likely it wont be enough to beat City and Everton by one goal to advance. We probably have to beat them by 2 or 3 goals each and that might not be enough either.

I expected the last games against City to decide if we advance or not, so this is quite shocking.

For the game, they got the tying goal from a corner and and a penalty. And then 2-1 after Millie tried to get too cute in her own box for no reason. Cant make mistakes like that and expect to win especially with all the chances we wasted.

Last edited:

Grande

Yeah. Too wasteful and they made us pay. Need to be more clinical.

I guess we'll probably need to win our all remaining games to have a chance to moving on?
Really disappointing reaction to not getting the goals also. We have quite a young squad, and some of the more experienced players are new, rotated or back from injury in this game, so maybe thatexplains a bit why we died off after an hour and never came back. Hate losing to the scousers though!

Lightbringer

Really disappointing reaction to not getting the goals also. We have quite a young squad, and some of the more experienced players are new, rotated or back from injury in this game, so maybe thatexplains a bit why we died off after an hour and never came back. Hate losing to the scousers though!
Well, obviously Liverpool who were hanging on the ropes got a massive momentum swing from the 2-1 goal, and United obviously became shocked. For Liverpool they got a massive energy boost and were running round on pure adrenalin until the end. We see this happen from time to time when a lesser team gets a sniff, they grab it with the whole hand.

What do we do now? Treat the cup like friendlies and make the league priority? The chances of going through are so slim it might not be worth putting in any more effort to the cup at all.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I think Liverpool wanted it more and MU were complacent, they seemed to get annoyed when things weren't going their way instead of fighting for it. Both were pens for me, First wasn't Ross's fault but the 2nd was stupid from Millie, that was frustration and then she lost Furness for the 3rd. I get all the subs at the time but in hindsight (and assuming fitness) I'd have replaced Ross with Press at halftime and kept on Heath. They were double/triple marking Heath and that would have left more space for Press. 2nd half seemed disjointed after the subs when it shouldn't have been. The sun was definately an issue in while attacking in the 2nd half so they should have done better in the first when they had the advantage. Oh and Heath should have had a pen in the first half and Russo isn't good enough on set pieces yet.

Overall doesn't mean the Conti's over but now have to win the next 2 games in the comp to have any chance of progression. Also Casey's right, now teams know they can lose so they've lost a bit of their fear factor.

Oh and this is the type of match (stupid time of day excluded) where fans are missed. I don't think that result happens with fans.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Just finished watching the game. So poor in the second half! We just seemed to lose control very quickly after we went behind, with the midfield not seeing much of the ball and by the end of the game, Liverpool looked far better than us. Even in the first half, we weren't controlling possession as well as we should have and Liverpool had decent chances to counter-attack. We can still qualify for knock-outs, but we now have to beat Everton and City, which is gonna be tough.

Lightbringer

Just finished watching the game. So poor in the second half! We just seemed to lose control very quickly after we went behind, with the midfield not seeing much of the ball and by the end of the game, Liverpool looked far better than us. Even in the first half, we weren't controlling possession as well as we should have and Liverpool had decent chances to counter-attack. We can still qualify for knock-outs, but we now have to beat Everton and City, which is gonna be tough.
It wont be enough the beat City and Everton by one goal. We must beat them with 2 or 3 goals to have a chance. There will be plenty of the other groups where the 2nd team win games by 4 or 5 goals agains the teams finishing 3rd and 4th. I personally believe we need to beat City and Everton with a goal difference of at least +6 to have any chance at all. Especially as we lost with 2 goals against Liverpool.

Last edited:

Grande

Well, obviously Liverpool who were hanging on the ropes got a massive momentum swing from the 2-1 goal, and United obviously became shocked. For Liverpool they got a massive energy boost and were running round on pure adrenalin until the end. We see this happen from time to time when a lesser team gets a sniff, they grab it with the whole hand.

What do we do now? Treat the cup like friendlies and make the league priority? The chances of going through are so slim it might not be worth putting in any more effort to the cup at all.
Yea, I know, it’s not the first time. I dare say we beat Liverpool a few times as well using the underdog surge, both with the men in the 80’s and the women in 2018.

Lightbringer

Whats the tiebreaker in the groups? Goal differential or head to head meetings?