WSLCup 20/21 | United v City - 7pm on Thurs 19th Nov

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It's them lot again. This time in the WSLCup. We lost our opening WSLCup game against Liverpool - so we need to win this one to have any chance of progressing to the knockouts. No WSL match this weekend - yes, it's another pointless international break - which might mean that we can play a strong team?

It's live on MUTV. No word yet on whether it will also be on FAPlayer.

Lightbringer

Am I completely crazy if I say I would be devastated if we would be eliminated after this game and fully able to focus on the league going forward? I am not wanting us to lose by any means, but its going to take a miracle to go all the way in that cup and I believe its more important to get the champions league spot.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Am I completely crazy if I say I would be devastated if we would be eliminated after this game and fully able to focus on the league going forward? I am not wanting us to lose by any means, but its going to take a miracle to go all the way in that cup and I believe its more important to get the champions league spot.
Guessing you meant to say wouldn't? I'm inclined to agree. Chance of silverware would be nice but chance of Champions League is bigger for us right now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I don't quite buy it. The idea of breaking into the top three and starting our European adventure sounds great, but at this point in our history trophies are better. We need to get some silverware.

That said, when Liverpool beat us in the first game, I kind of gave up on the LC. And if we had a match this coming weekend, I'd want to see key players rested on Thursday, because we really do have our work cut out to qualify. As it is, and especially as it's City, I want a win.

madi5h

i agree that our focus should be the league and champions league qualification, however we now have a large squad and these games are important to give more players minutes
so the further we can go the better
zelem, james, sigsworth, okvist, among others badly need minutes also games like this our the only chance for big match experience for ramsey who i have a feeling is going to quickly become better than earps, maybe even a first game for fuso? her insta posts make it seem like shes near ready

saying this does make me think of one question though, we shud have 2 or 3 young players that could play in this tournament, why since the clubs restart 3 years ago have we seen no
young players coming through?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
4 points could be still good enough to reach the knock-out rounds if Liverpool will finish on the last place in the group.
Only the top team qualifies automatically, then you're looking at the best two runners-up slots. Losing to Liverpool (who then lost to City and Everton) makes the group really hard for us. I'm not ready to give up on it though, if only because beating City is always a good thing.

Lightbringer

Only the top team qualifies automatically, then you're looking at the best two runners-up slots. Losing to Liverpool (who then lost to City and Everton) makes the group really hard for us. I'm not ready to give up on it though, if only because beating City is always a good thing.
What does it require to win the group? Is head to head meetings the tiebreaker if City and Utd finish on the same points? Or is it goal differential? Regardless we need to win both games and likely with a a bigger margin than just 1-0 wins.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
What does it require to win the group? Is head to head meetings the tiebreaker if City and Utd finish on the same points? Or is it goal differential? Regardless we need to win both games and likely with a a bigger margin than just 1-0 wins.
This is another one of those (many) times when the FA demonstrate how much of an amateur operation they are. The rules haven't been updated on their website etc, but they've been amended by press releases (like the top team and best runners up go through) and in emails sent this week to the clubs (saying that best runners-up will be based on "average points per game" - because some groups have 3 teams not 4). Personally, I find it immensely disrespectful towards the clubs, the fans and the journalists covering the game - but apparently that's because complaining United fans are just newbies, who contributed nothing to the development of the women's game and should be more patient with the bold pioneers who run it and have to make up the rules as they go along :smirk:

On top spot, I believe it's GD that decides position (same as last year), so we've no guarantee of qualifying even if we win our last two games. We need good margins as well as wins. City currently have a GD of +5 to our -2. If we come second, as far as I can tell looking at the other groups, it's unlikely that we go through as a best runner-up as our GD won't be good enough.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike

5 changes from the weekend side. Ramsey, Zelem, Staniforth, Hanson and James all start. Fuso is on the bench.

It's also worth mentioning that Arsenal needed penalties to beat Spurs last night, and so are 2nd in their group with 5 points. If we can beat City and Everton, we have a much better chance of making it to the knockout stages.

Lightbringer

This is another one of those (many) times when the FA demonstrate how much of an amateur operation they are. The rules haven't been updated on their website etc, but they've been amended by press releases (like the top team and best runners up go through) and in emails sent this week to the clubs (saying that best runners-up will be based on "average points per game" - because some groups have 3 teams not 4). Personally, I find it immensely disrespectful towards the clubs, the fans and the journalists covering the game - but apparently that's because complaining United fans are just newbies, who contributed nothing to the development of the women's game and should be more patient with the bold pioneers who run it and have to make up the rules as they go along :smirk:

On top spot, I believe it's GD that decides position (same as last year), so we've no guarantee of qualifying even if we win our last two games. We need good margins as well as wins. City currently have a GD of +5 to our -2. If we come second, as far as I can tell looking at the other groups, it's unlikely that we go through as a best runner-up as our GD won't be good enough.
Thanks for the summary, much appreciated. With different amounts of teams in the groups, its a mockery that only the 2 best 2nds go through. The FA needs to upgrade all womens competitions website so the fans can follow them properly, that just needs to be done.

We need to beat City with 2-0 and then beat Everton 3-0. That will ensure we win the group, so now we just need to do it :-) Easier said than done of course.

Last edited:

madi5h

turns out the mutv stream is on the FA player, seems like its always the case but they try to keep it as quiet as possible to drive mutv subs

ForeverRed1

So do you think united just wanted Tobin and press came as part of the package? Lots of rumours of them being a couple etc...don’t know if it has any truth it’s just what I have seen when digging a little :eek:

Lightbringer

So do you think united just wanted Tobin and press came as part of the package? Lots of rumours of them being a couple etc...don’t know if it has any truth it’s just what I have seen when digging a little :eek:
I find it hilarious that someone suggests Press would come as a "package" with the merits Christen has in her career. The attacker position was pretty weak for United before adding Russo and Press. She has not rocketed off in her United stint yet and Casey seems to not treat any different than anyone else. I dont think United would ever bring in a player because the player is the lover of another player. And yes, from all indications they are a couple, I dont doubt that all.

Speaking of Press, I think James will subbed for Press for the start of the 2nd half.

Gordon S

It's been very even so far, nothing like that first half at the weekend. We've had a couple of good chances, but some decent goalkeeping and a couple of nearly moves have kept us out.
Thanks! Hope James can get a goal and build some confidence, the talent is definitely there to hurt teams even as strong as Citys

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
FT 0-0
Plenty of chances and near misses but no goals.

Penalty shootout for a bonus point now.

But however we do on the penalties, this result means City goes through on top of the group and we go out tonight.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Weeey, Greenwood misses and United win the shoot-out :D

Shame we're out, again a case of not taking chances, but on the bright side can really focus on the league now.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
So annoyed that we missed that golden chance at the end . What's worse is that it came from a Greenwood mistake

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Thought it was a good performance in the end. We controlled the game much better than at the weekend and defended well. Ramsey certainly needs to work on her passing and ball control, but good save in the shootout and kept a clean sheet in the end. Really gutted that we're out of the cup so soon, as I'm desperate to see us win a major trophy as soon as possible. At least we've shown in the two games that we can go toe-to-toe with City, hopefully we'll beat them next time when we inevitably get drawn against them in the FA Cup.

madi5h

looked to me like 2 teams the have spent the week working on areas where we they were getting hurt on saturday and hence cancelled each other out

another way to look at it is we won the derby series on penos :lol:

Affirmation

It's brillaint seeing that snake miss her penalty to win us the game. Brillaint. :drool:

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
The Wikipedia site ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_FA_Women's_League_Cup ) was wrong on Monday because it said "Due to Group E containing one fewer team, all results against the clubs on the 4th place will be cancelled" and now it says "Due to Group E containing one fewer team, the ranking to determine which two second-placed teams progress is calculated on a points-per-game basis".

ImmortalJoker66

Supports
Trinidad and Tobago
Blast this pandemic for them to change the format, even though we were eliminated it's still a joy to see United denying the Noisy arse neighbors any glory after facing them twice already this season and it must be eating them up inside knowing that we are not easy to beat.

Last edited: