SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Thank God, it's all over. I was worried for a while there...

I always wonder when i see these American pastors, do they really believe what they say or do they know its all an act?

Also, what's Private Joker doing there?

Fingeredmouse

Your irrelevant nonsense about “gays and pre-marital sex” exposed your own agenda and stereotyped view of my position on this so there’s no point continuing to debate with you. Don’t waste your time.
It's not irrelevant. In a lax, selfish drinking culture like most of Europe and the US (which is clearly a homogenous culture) there's a whole range of social traits we don't mercilessly crush. Which is precisely why your nuanced and stereotyped free position is, as I said previously, perceptive.

Given this post, I'm surprised that you struggle with irony.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Your irrelevant nonsense about “gays and pre-marital sex” exposed your own agenda and stereotyped view of my position on this so there’s no point continuing to debate with you. Don’t waste your time.
Your position was also predicated on a stereotype.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I still don't quite get the mortality in Spain and Italy in comparison to northern countries, is simply that virus there so much more widespread?
This article mentions the older average age in Italy, the density of the population in the north, the culture of standing close to people and kissing them, and the fact that northern Italy is an international business hub with lots of connections to China. However, I think this is the most pertinent reason (my highlighting) :
With far fewer people, Italy’s infection rate is much higher than China’s. No other country has a truly comparable set of circumstances.

A key factor in emergency management is learning lessons from others in similar circumstances – but there is no one for Italy to learn from at this stage of the crisis. Chinese experts have traveled to Italy to help – but many of the lessons they are bringing only became clear after Italy’s outbreak began, so the Italians are behind where other countries, with more recent outbreaks, may be.

The Italian government has progressively worked to contain the disease, including declaring a total national lockdown on March 10. More than two weeks later, the country may finally be seeing a decline in the number of new cases.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200330/five-reasons-the-coronavirus-hit-italy-so-hard

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Do you think people in the UK are doing a good enough job staying at home and not mixing with others?
I'd guess most are but plenty are not. This does not equate to European culture being "ultimately feck other people." That characterisation is both patently false and needlessly antagonistic.

NYAS

I'd guess most are but plenty are not. This does not equate to European culture being "ultimately feck other people." That characterisation is both patently false and needlessly antagonistic.
My point is that in the Western cultures people tend to value individual liberties more than the collective welfare of society compared to other cultures. This isn’t always a bad thing, you could say it’s a factor that leads to more developed democratic governance structures in the West. However, it doesn’t help when there’s a global pandemic that requires people to sacrifice individual liberties for the greater good. If you don’t believe that point to be true then we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Yik

My point is that in the Western cultures people tend to value individual liberties more than the collective welfare of society compared to other cultures. This isn’t always a bad thing, you could say it’s a factor that leads to more developed democratic governance structures in the West. However, it doesn’t help when there’s a global pandemic that requires people to sacrifice individual liberties for the greater good. If you don’t believe that point to be true then we’ll have to agree to disagree.
From my time in the Gulf, I wouldn't say that the latter is something that really holds true for the Gulf countries. Maybe if you compare the West with China or South Korea/Singapore it would make more sense. I can imagine the Gulf states are prioritising almost all of their efforts at protecting their own citizens first and foremost, not the immigrants who make up the majority of the society that exists there.

NYAS

From my time in the Gulf, I wouldn't say that the latter is something that really holds true for the Gulf countries. Maybe if you compare the West with China or South Korea/Singapore it would make more sense. I can imagine the Gulf states are prioritising almost all of their efforts at protecting their own citizens first and foremost, not the immigrants who make up the majority of the society that exists there.
I know there were concerns about this before the crisis started but from what I’ve seen the immigrants have been treated well during this. We have set up Western Union branches on food trucks that go around to their homes so they can remit money to their families back home from their accommodation, instead of having to leave and crowd the money exchanges and risking transmission. We have also set up charities for donations to immigrants who have been stranded. There are other examples but those are some of the main ones that have come to mind.

Fingeredmouse

To be clear, you're suggesting that "non Western Cultures" inherently value the collective good over individualism? That the reason countries have authoritarian rulers or not is an inherent product of a people's culture? Is this genetic do you think?

Cloud7

Do any of the third world countries have any realistic chance of controlling this thing? I know some of them have taken measures but, if you're someone who's struggling daily to put a meal on the table for yourself (let alone your dependants) are you really going to give a shit about distancing?

You'll probably take your chances with the virus than starving to death.
We've (Trinidad and Tobago) done decent enough so far, though as far as third world countries go I wouldn't say we're quite as destitute as some other places may be.

We had our first cast just about two weeks ago. As it is right now, we're up to 84 cases (40 odd of came from a cruise ship, where all the people were isolated immediately from the boat and the positive cases were moved to one of the containment hospitals), we've had three deaths so far, all three of them fairly old people with co morbidities, only one person that actually needed ICU intervention, who was extubated this week if I remember correctly and seems to be making a decent enough recovery from the position he started in.

We have two hospitals set up solely for containment of Covid patients, and dedicated Covid teams where the doctors are only seeing those patients (Haven't been pulled in to one of these yet, thankfully). Thus far we have adequate amounts of PPE to use in the hospitals. Schools/Universities have been closed for a couple weeks now.

Our borders are closed completely, both to nationals and non nationals, which has resulted in some people being stuck in other countries, but I agree with the government's decision on this as we have to think about the greater good of the country. As of midnight last night, all non essential businesses have officially been closed, only essential personnel allowed to be out and about, the police and army been deployed to enforce this. There's a fine of $50,000 TTD (Roughly in the ballpark of 5000 GBP) for being out during this time.

All in all, I think we've done decent enough with our limited resources thus far. I've been quite impressed with the way the government has handled the situation.

Yik

I know there were concerns about this before the crisis started but from what I’ve seen the immigrants have been treated well during this. We have set up Western Union branches on food trucks that go around to their homes so they can remit money to their families back home from their accommodation, instead of having to leave and crowd the money exchanges and risking transmission. We have also set up charities for donations to immigrants who have been stranded. There are other examples but those are some of the main ones that have come to mind.
I don't doubt all that. I do honestly think the Gulf States are demonised too much by a lot of Westerners. And compared with the chaos in places like India, I'd imagine a lot of immigrants in the Gulf probably are a lot safer than they'd be at home. Its just a nagging suspicion of mine, that push come to shove, if cases start piling up and hospitals start getting crowded, the Gulf states will ensure their own citizens are given priority over all others. Also that the state bailouts and handouts, if the need arises will mostly focus on keeping their citizens happy and afloat at the expense of the others.

NYAS

Why does it matter to you?
:lol:

I don't doubt all that. I do honestly think the Gulf States are demonised too much by a lot of Westerners. And compared with the chaos in places like India, I'd imagine a lot of immigrants in the Gulf probably are a lot safer than they'd be at home. Its just a nagging suspicion of mine, that push come to shove, if cases start piling up and hospitals start getting crowded, the Gulf states will ensure their own citizens are given priority over all others. Also that the state bailouts and handouts, if the need arises will mostly focus on keeping their citizens happy and afloat at the expense of the others.
Maybe. But wouldn’t every country do that if it gets to that point?

Yik

To be clear, you're suggesting that "non Western Cultures" inherently value the collective good over individualism? That the reason countries have authoritarian rulers or not is an inherent product of a people's culture? Is this genetic do you think?
A good read on this subject, is "Why Nations Fail". Its not really genetic obviously or even cultural factors. Its got a lot to do with critical junctures in history and how each society has responded to it and changed. Chance basically. And pandemics are one of the major events that can kickstart such changes. For instance the black plague ended the feudal system in a lot of Western Europe but strengthened it in certain other places.

Fingeredmouse

A good read on this subject, is "Why Nations Fail". Its not really genetic obviously or even cultural factors. Its got a lot to do with critical junctures in history and how each society has responded to it and changed. Chance basically. And pandemics are one of the major events that can kickstart such changes. For instance the black plague ended the feudal system in a lot of Western Europe but strengthened it in certain other places.
Sure. Absolutely. I'm just prodding someone.

Yik

:lol:

Maybe. But wouldn’t every country do that if it gets to that point?
Well no. You would never get away with that in the UK at least. I can't speak about the other Western countries but let me assure you the UK would never enact a policy of having the NHS prioritising citizens over anybody else. And although unemployment benefits and the like are doled out to citizens/permanent residents the UK government would never enact bailouts or handouts to favour citizens over anybody else that has legitimate businesses in the UK. Whereas a lot of Gulf states rely on patronage and handouts to locals as an accepted form of business.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Why does it matter to you?
Isn't it just that we're all worried about what's happening in care homes and similar units? Just people trying to understand what's happening globally, what measures are working in some countries, and what's proving impossible to manage anywhere.

You could ask why any of us are in the thread and looking at statistics when we aren't epidemiologists.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No, my original point was about strong punishment being used against those who don’t follow guidelines for the welfare of society. Cultural factors are only one part of it, and when paired with extremely lax enforcement of measures then it doesn’t become surprising to see who leads the way.

Nobody’s culture is better than another’s. You’ve gotten a bit carried away at the end there.
The question is why if it's an important factor did it not correlate at all with the first phase of the virus? It just seems like convenient analysis that only fits a very particular point in time. The likes of Chile, South Africa and Saudi Arabia only reported their first case at the beginning of this month and already their case numbers look significantly worse than the early stages of these Western countries. Is it that implausible that cases will explode somewhere in Africa, and your cultural explanation no longer fits the data whatsoever?

Sure, I left out a couple of words for clarity. You haven't said that your culture is better in all circumstances, but you have said your culture is better at dealing with this outbreak. In the same way that people here earlier in the journey blamed China's culture for allowing the pandemic to take hold. In the same way that folks have bemoaned old people's selfishness in disobeying the rules, and young people's ignorance in dismissing the risks. It's not that they're worse overall, but they're worse at this whole coronavirus thing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Isn't it just that we're all worried about what's happening in care homes and similar units? Just people trying to understand what's happening globally, what measures are working in some countries, and what's proving impossible to manage anywhere.

You could ask why any of us are in the thread and looking at statistics when we aren't epidemiologists.
France is not being deceitful. It’s being fully transparent.

A difference in methodology is not nefarious by nature.

NYAS

Well no. You would never get away with that in the UK at least. I can't speak about the other Western countries but let me assure you the UK would never enact a policy of having the NHS prioritising citizens over anybody else. And although unemployment benefits and the like are doled out to citizens/permanent residents the UK government would never enact bailouts or handouts to favour citizens over anybody else that has legitimate businesses in the UK. Whereas a lot of Gulf states rely on patronage and handouts to locals as an accepted form of business.
Oh I highly doubt we would favour/prioritise when it comes to medical care or hospital beds. That would be evil.

I do think it might be possible as you say in terms of business interventions. Let’s hope it never gets to that.

Blackwidow

It's a massive problem there. I think smokers should have to pay a 'I'm fecking up my health and you will pay for it' tax.
It's not enough. Same as manufacturers should be charged more for all the fecking fag butts that pollute the world. I'd like to see fag butts completely banned.
They usually die some years earlier and societies already save a lot in pensions...

TheReligion

Abusive

If I could have been arsed genuinely responding to the silly question @UnrelatedPsuedo asked I'd have said this.

It seems the elderly are just being left in many countries and it's quite worrying.

Yik

Oh I highly doubt we would favour/prioritise when it comes to medical care or hospital beds. That would be evil.

I do think it might be possible as you say in terms of business interventions. Let’s hope it never gets to that.
Yes, definitely lets hope it doesn't come to that. I have a lot of good memories of the UAE, and I think if more people look at its history and how far its come they would be less judgemental. I am hopeful with the kind of administrative control the UAE have, it should hopefully not be as bad a situation as we are seeing elsewhere. Certainly economically it will be very bad for the next year or so especially with the Expo 2020 coming up as well, but I hope they can prioritise the health aspect of it.

For me I've spent some time in Saudi as well, and I've got nothing positive to say about that country. They've never handled this kind of thing well, see the Haj incidents etc., I don't have a lot of hope of them keeping on top of this unfortunately