SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
From what I’ve read he’s basically ordered all US manufacturers to not supply to anyone outside of USA. For example 3M gear. So he’s hoarding that stuff and outbidding countries in trades for stuff from other countries. Absolute selfish wanker
In the French case they had Americans on the tarmac in China handing over cash to divert supplies that had been ordered for France. Cnuts.

From what I’ve read he’s basically ordered all US manufacturers to not supply to anyone outside of USA. For example 3M gear. So he’s hoarding that stuff and outbidding countries in trades for stuff from other countries. Absolute selfish wanker
Its hard to say it because it's individual people and families who are actually suffering, but I really hope the US handling of all this goes to shit for Trump.

Foxbatt

Its hard to say it because it's individual people and families who are actually suffering, but I really hope the US handling of all this goes to shit for Trump.
I really hope so too and he has antagonised everyone. But to be honest Trump alone cannot do all the damage. It's also people who support him. Otherwise they can't be this incompetent in the handling of this.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's how all countries react in periods of severe scarcity. European countries have co-operated very poorly throughout the crisis in terms of resource sharing, just like US states have fought against each other. Their first priority is to protect their citizens first. Which is why France laid claim to millions of masks that in any other circumstances the UK had a legitimate right to:
France has forced a face mask manufacturer to cancel a major UK order as the coronavirus-inspired scramble for protective gear intensifies. The National Health Service ordered millions of masks from Valmy SAS near Lyon earlier this year as COVID-19 threatened. But amid a global shortage, France earlier this week ordered the requisition of all protective masks made in the country.

"We are facing a big problem: who to prioritise" explained company director Nicolas Brillat. "The requisition does not allow any wiggle room for us to deliver to the NHS, but it is complicated because the NHS was the first client to order and uses our masks all year long."
There's a legitimate risk that if this persists for a long period and resource scarcity broadens then tensions could escalate beyond manageable levels, but it isn't a simple story of individual villains.

Maroon Lucifer

Good site for information from the Faeroe Islands (almost 10% of population tested): https://corona.fo/statistics

Current state of play:

Tests: 4800 | Positive: 181 | Recovered: 93 | Currently hospitalised: 2 | Deaths: 0

Would be interesting to see if they've followed these patients throughout the process to see how many remain asymptotic.
I am from the Faroe Islands. A doctor wants to research exactly how many have been infected without even knowing about it. He asked NOVO in Denmark for 1 million kroner grant, but was denied, so someone from the fishing industry is giving him the money for the research.

Giggs86

Why selfish? American president puts Americans first. I wouldn't expect less from any other countries leaders.

Dante

Average bang

Hoarding masks is the international trade equivalent of hoarding toilet paper.

France bought their masks fair and square.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I am from the Faroe Islands. A doctor wants to research exactly how many have been infected without even knowing about it. He asked NOVO in Denmark for 1 million kroner grant, but was denied, so someone from the fishing industry is giving him the money for the research.
That's good news. Why on earth would Denmark refuse the grant? Seems like it would be an excellent study to have. Glad your local government is keeping on top of this thing.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
There's a graph on BBC, cant post here for some reason. It shows both cases and death rate for UK side by side and it looks as if UK deaths should plateau in a day or 2, then start to drop.

That's if it follows the confirmed cases trend.

Don't Kill Bill

It's how all countries react in periods of severe scarcity. European countries have co-operated very poorly throughout the crisis in terms of resource sharing, just like US states have fought against each other. Their first priority is to protect their citizens first. Which is why France laid claim to millions of masks that in any other circumstances the UK had a legitimate right to:

There's a legitimate risk that if this persists for a long period and resource scarcity broadens then tensions could escalate beyond manageable levels, but it isn't a simple story of individual villains.
""We are facing a big problem: who to prioritise" explained company director Nicolas Brillat. "The requisition does not allow any wiggle room for us to deliver to the NHS, but it is complicated because the NHS was the first client to order and uses our masks all year long.""

We are going to have to look at critical manufacturing industries and factor in/assume that in crisis you are on your own.

vidic blood & sand

Critical incident at a hospital in Watford. Hope everyone is ok there :(
The QE2 hospital that was based in Welwyn Garden City closed a few years ago, and would have relieved a lot of pressure on Watford General and the Lister in Stevenage.
It was a terrible decision to close the QE2. Instead they recently completed a modern day-center in Welwyn, and now theyre even wanting to close that down already. Terrible.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How the feck are we still testing <10k per day...what the feck is going on?

0le

There's a graph on BBC, cant post here for some reason. It shows both cases and death rate for UK side by side and it looks as if UK deaths should plateau in a day or 2, then start to drop.

That's if it follows the confirmed cases trend.

Wolverine

Bypassed? Surely that’s just a can of worms we don’t want to open on 7.5bn people.
I think there are some phase III things with regards to a vaccine that can be shortened, for example the efficacy and safety profile checked for at 6 months rather than 12 months
With a large sample size to extrapolate clinical findings from for testing I think it would be worth doing

marktan

How the feck are we still testing <10k per day...what the feck is going on?
Because up to the 16th of March, the UK's strategy was essentially to let the virus spread around the community so that long-term there'd be herd immunity similar to measles etc. There were no plans for wide-spread testing to track the virus, similar to say Korea or Germany.

Then on March 16th the Imperial report said something like 250k people (or was it 1m?) would die under the govs current plans as the NHS would be overwhelmed, they backtracked and since have wanted to test more, saying they wanted 10k+ tests a day by the end of March, and 100k a day by end of April. The problem is because they left it so late, they can't get the equipment for testing as every other country in the world has long before ramped up testing. You need both labs and the chemical reagents to run tests - the labs part should be easier as we have a lot of universities and private labs, but the chemical part is probably harder given we don't really manufacture much these days.

marktan

I don't see why deaths are on course to double every few days now, Spain and Italy have never topped 1000 per day, I see no reason why we will.
It depends on when the lockdown was implemented really. UK deaths are doubling every 3-4 days. Just 7 days ago we were at 150-200 deaths a day. Italy locked down on the 8th March - it took around 14 days for the deaths to stop increasing and plateau at around 800 a day. Which makes sense given the incubation period for the disease is around 2 to 12 days, and deaths occur around 21 days after infection on average, so there'd be some lag from initially imposing a lockdown to seeing those affects come through.

The UK locked down on the 24th - 14 days after would be the 7th of April - so all things going well we should see deaths plateau in rises early next week. Without the lockdown, like basically the last two weeks, we'd probably see deaths continue to increase every 3-4 days, perhaps even faster given the NHS would start to get overwhelmed.

How long before deaths start to actually go down is another question - probably around 20-25 days after the lockdown given that's the average time for death from infection, and new infections should decrease a lot from the start of the lockdown.

A bit grim but hypothetically I wonder how many people would die if we didn't lockdown for another month? Assuming a doubling every 4 days, that would be around 8 doublings in 30 days, so the 600 deaths a day would go to 9600 deaths a day by the end of the month. Crazy.

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

Because up to the 16th of March, the UK's strategy was essentially to let the virus spread around the community so that long-term there'd be herd immunity similar to measles etc. There were no plans for wide-spread testing to track the virus, similar to say Korea or Germany.

Then on March 16th the Imperial report said something like 250k people (or was it 1m?) would die under the govs current plans as the NHS would be overwhelmed, they backtracked and since have wanted to test more, saying they wanted 10k+ tests a day by the end of March, and 100k a day by end of April. The problem is because they left it so late, they can't get the equipment for testing as every other country in the world has long before ramped up testing. You need both labs and the chemical reagents to run tests - the labs part should be easier as we have a lot of universities and private labs, but the chemical part is probably harder given we don't really manufacture much these days.
Genuine question how many tests do France, Italy, and Spain carry out per day, I can only seem to find confirmed cases, not test carried out.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Genuine question how many tests do France, Italy, and Spain carry out per day, I can only seem to find confirmed cases, not test carried out.
Worldometer gives you the numbers, not sure from where they're sourced though - the uk ones seem accurate. We are not in an admirable position.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Last edited:

FireballXL5

The QE2 hospital that was based in Welwyn Garden City closed a few years ago, and would have relieved a lot of pressure on Watford General and the Lister in Stevenage.
It was a terrible decision to close the QE2. Instead they recently completed a modern day-center in Welwyn, and now theyre even wanting to close that down already. Terrible.
My dad was a consultant haematologist/pathologist there. He's spinning in his grave right now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For France it's currently 20000 per day and by the end of the month-early May the goal is to do 50000 classic tests and 30000 rapid tests per day.

Alabaster Codify7

I've started displaying one of the symptoms since yesterday (periods/waves of feeling a bit short of breath with heart palpitations, at times). Nothing too bad at the moment, fingers crossed, but still - I live at home at the moment with my parents so am not taking the risk. Sealing myself in my bedroom from this morning onwards - we share a bathroom unfortunately, but I'll be disinfecting whenever I visit it.

None of the other symtoms at present, touch wood. Hoping it passes as quickly as possible.

marktan

Italy's breakdown can be seen in more detail here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Italy#Statistics
They've been doing around 40k tests a day for the last 10 days.

For Spain not sure, but Worldometer shows they've done 350k tests total compared to Italy's 600k, so they're probably doing around 20k tests a day.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Worldometer gives you the numbers, not sure from where they're sourced though - the uk ones seem accurate. We are not in an admirable position.
The UK number for serious / Critical I'll seems way lower than other countries... Presumably a difference in reporting? As it currently implies more people Die each day than were seriously ill the day before... And we seem to be thinly country with a large Number of deaths where this is true?