SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Dr John Campbell has a PHD but is a retired nurse. Paracetamol is fine. It will help you feel better symptomatically. There is no correlation between paracetamol use and worse prognosis in any disease.
Some advice from French health minister to avoid ibuprofen (precedent is that its tended to be avoid in certain viral infections e.g. chickenpox) but no evidence base cited
It amazes me that the UK has not been given guidelines on what to do if they get a fever. By the time the shit hits the fan the hotline will be overrun and useless.

It's not that stupid when other countries, experts, modelling and the WHO are following an approach that suggests that the UK's experts are wrong. Assuming that your country's experts are right just because they happen to be from your country would hardly be evidence of robust thinking.
WHO says UK is wrong? Really?

And which other countries mate? Do you have any proof of other countries or WHO experts suggesting UK has it wrong?

arnie_ni

Infections are going to sky rocket in Ireland over the next two weeks. Then what happened in Italy will happen in Ireland. Might even have to shut the border with NI if that is possible.

Doesnt help when loads of people are seeing singing and dancing in pubs last night. They are too dumb to realize what is coming.
Im in the north and unionist, but they'll just have to get in line with ireland if that happens. No way we can have one set of rules and ireland another. Its impossible and closing the border would be impossible as well imo

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
That guy is not a doctor and we should really stop posting his videos in here. Hes got a lot of things wrong and is not qualified to be dishing out advice.
I've not watched his videos but his LinkedIn in profile was enough to turn me off. He's probably trying to help but who knows if he will.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That seems like a very sensible, practical and manageable idea.
There is so much we could have done to prepare for this virus. You have people constantly defending our government but they don't deserve it.

My company, a few weeks back, had sanitiser dispensers installed all over the office - why hasn't this been implemented in all public places? This whole rush for food has been happening for a few weeks now yet all we're doing is asking people to stop. This is a country which rioted a few years back over nothing - you think asking people is enough? I'm shocked by the lack of preparation.

There is so much we could have done to prepare for this virus. You have people constantly defending our government but they don't deserve it.

My company, a few weeks back, had sanitiser dispensers installed all over the office - why hasn't this been implemented in all public places? This whole rush for food has been happening for a few weeks now yet all we're doing is asking people to stop. This is a country which rioted a few years back over nothing - you think asking people is enough? I'm shocked by the lack of preparation.
Hand sanitiser in public places wouldn’t have helped, you’re underestimating this virus and overestimating the public.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Infections are going to sky rocket in Ireland over the next two weeks. Then what happened in Italy will happen in Ireland. Might even have to shut the border with NI if that is possible.

Doesnt help when loads of people are seeing singing and dancing in pubs last night. They are too dumb to realize what is coming.
It’s irritating me lots. I’ve come to the conclusion that a high percentage of the human population are just ignorant dumb fecks! Anyone going into a bar etc or still considering going on holidays needs their fecking heads read because I think their brain is probably infected

We have friends who booked a cruise very recently and fully intended to go anyway despite everything with their sound logic that it’s better to be quarantined of the coast of Mexico than in Ireland. Thankfully the cruise is cancelled but now they are trying to organize a big party end of the month. They are intelligent people in professional jobs but literally have either no common sense or a feck it attitude. Stupid!

My mother in law in the Uk who is in her 70s is still organizing and meeting up with her friends in London, including a couple who have had heart problems and diabetes. My father in law who is 81 is still going to the pub on less busy nights. He yesterday met up with a stranger to sell a car, no doubt did an old school handshake. They literally are incapable of staying indoors

This will drag on for longer because of people like them all over the UK and Ireland

redshaw

here in Nova Scotia, there are zero cases, the only province in Canada without one. In a place called cape breton, they have designated an hour in the mornings that seniors can go to the grocery store without anyone else present and right after the store has been completely wiped down and sanitized.

UK and Ireland should do this. Old people can avoid all the knuckle draggers who have been licking the pub bars.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Right @Amar__ last night, the Danish governments OWN experts on this stated clearly that shutting down the country was NOT advised by them and was purely political. That good enough for you?

And Donald Trump actually banned flights from Europe, but not the UK and Ireland, a decision so fecking stupid and see-through that he was forced to add the UK and Ireland to it JUST the following day. The scenes tweeted from O’Hare airport tell of plenty more political stupid decision making in the US.

But yeah, not political at all. How the feck can you even question that statement?
No, it's not good enough, I would need a link for that, and explanation who exactly are those experts. Because biggest experts on this should be from WHO, and here is what they have to say:

https://www.ft.com/content/64d54c97-6c8d-31e3-848c-be0e93cadc52

And you are using Trump as an argument now, great stuff. The entire world is questioning UK's approach, and yet you use your experts as the main argument.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Going to have to rely on their family and/or neighbours. The entire care sector in this country will collapse within a few weeks of this starting with most of the staff needing to stay home to look after young kids when the schools close. I work in the sector and honestly this is going to be a total shit show.
Yeah, that's great if the elderly person has family or friendly neighbours. Some won't have those or will be too proud to rely on them. In these cases, the government will need to deliver food and other essentials to them, otherwise these people are going to be going out to buy food. They need to think this through more

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I find it interesting that not everyone has the same approach. The UK seem better prepared than most. It may or may not work better, but i am curious to see the outcome. We can learn more by it than everyone using the same strategy with different applications
Ú wòt mate.

The UK approach is basically

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
WHY? Why the feck do people need to be flying right now? If I was confronted with that scene I’d turn around and walk out the nearest exit.

IF there was ever a plague or something with a higher mortality rate across all ages humanity would truly be fecked

WHY? Why the feck do people need to be flying right now? If I was confronted with that scene I’d turn around and walk out the nearest exit.

IF there was ever a plague or something with a higher mortality rate across all ages humanity would truly be fecked
That's them flying home from overseas right @golden_blunder ?

How else do you suggest they get home? Boat?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

They are coming back due to the travel ban.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
WHO says UK is wrong? Really?

And which other countries mate? Do you have any proof of other countries or WHO experts suggesting UK has it wrong?
The WHO has laid out a recommended, comprehensive approach to tackling the pandemic and the UK is diverging significantly from that approach. Basic common sense would tell you that it's extremely unlikely for the WHO to think the UK is right to vary from the WHO's recommendations, especially when WHO spokespeople are openly warning against countries deviating from their recommendations. Who did you think they were talking about?

Aside from that, WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris directly questioned the herd immunity idea, saying we don't know enough about the immunological profile to know whether theories about becoming immune are correct.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Latest from the government spokesperson.
It is also utter bollocks because it seems to think that we restrict hard now but that we then stop any restrictions a few weeks later which takes us back to square one.

Moronic straw man argument.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I'm in Sweden @Godfather, and we're following similar advice. In fact, our experts here slated Denmark last night, and the Danish experts later came out and agreed, admitting the decisions made were purely political.
The only decision that has been political, ie not at the advice of the health authorities, has been the closing of the border.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Hand sanitiser in public places wouldn’t have helped, you’re underestimating this virus and overestimating the public.
There are plenty of people who are worried and there are plenty of people who are willing to take action.

We needed the government to push forward more messages through the media - it took until it became a pandemic to see people like Pogba and Ronaldo to use their influencing power to help inform people.

You have twitch, youtube, instagram, huge sporting events, the FA, UEFA etc massive platforms and massive organisations. We had time - we needed more effort.

Honestly, I, a normal nothing individual, changed the opinion of friends, family and work colleagues through constantly talking about it. At the beginning many accused me of fear mongering but now they see my efforts as a slight warning and good advice on how to prepare. If I could change the views of a couple, don't you believe someone Like Cristiano could have changed the views of millions?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah, that's great if the elderly person has family or friendly neighbours. Some won't have those or will be too proud to rely on them. In these cases, the government will need to deliver food and other essentials to them, otherwise these people are going to be going out to buy food. They need to think this through more
It will be the army then.

clarkydaz

thats the thing, we are better equipped than ever for people to know about this stuff, but they insist on walking straight into it anyway.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

It’s the arrivals hall. You’d be turning around to get back on a plane, pretty sure that’s not an option.

No, it's not good enough, I would need a link for that, and explanation who exactly are those experts. Because biggest experts on this should be from WHO, and here is what they have to say:

https://www.ft.com/content/64d54c97-6c8d-31e3-848c-be0e93cadc52

And you are using Trump as an argument now, great stuff. The entire world is questioning UK's approach, and yet you use your experts as the main argument.
That's behind a paywall, and it's also pure hysteria, the UK can and will lockdown. Who are the signees to start with? It says scientists from "from a wide range of departments" so how many with actual knowledge of this?

"The entire World is questioning UK's approach" is utter utter hysteric nonsense. We'll see in the next weeks I guess.

Here's your link @Amar__ ffs: https://omni.se/dansk-folkhalsomyndighet-politiskt-beslut-att-stanga/a/lA5mgL

My "experts" are the Danish & Swedish Public Health Authority... you know, proper experts like.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The only decision that has been political, ie not at the advice of the health authorities, has been the closing of the border.
Thanks, I was trying to find that answer. I don't really understand the border thing because I'm not sure about what it's supposed to prevent, the virus is already well established inside the borders.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This is the person who are you supposed to trust the most, right:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...f-defends-uk-measures-criticism-herd-immunity

“Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it. Those are the key things we need to do.”

@Classical Mechanic @Smores @Regulus Arcturus Black

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The UK approach seems to fail basic math. It basically amounts to "right now the exponential curve is flat, so let's wait to do something until the exponential curve starts shooting upwards."

The WHO has laid out a recommended, comprehensive approach to tackling the pandemic and the UK is diverging significantly from that approach. Basic common sense would tell you that it's extremely unlikely for the WHO to think the UK is right to vary from the WHO's recommendations, especially when WHO spokespeople are openly warning against countries deviating from their recommendations. Who did you think they were talking about?

Aside from that, WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris directly questioned the herd immunity idea, saying we don't know enough about the immunological profile to know whether theories about becoming immune are correct.
You're getting all of this wrong.

UK has confirmed it absolutely is not going for herd immunity.

And b), the UK IS following WHO guidelines and will continue to do so, on their timeline.

The UK approach seems to fail basic math. It basically amounts to "right now the exponential curve is flat, so let's wait to do something until the exponential curve starts shooting upwards."
No, the UK is following a model with much higher figures than the current recorded numbers.

So... not at all actually.

Drawfull

So my parent's went on a 5 week cruise a fortnight ago against everybody else's better judgement and on Thursday a passenger was removed with a chest infection. Test results came back a few hours ago, positive, so they're basically quarantined in Recife until the Brazilian authorities decide what to do. They've been confined to cabins since Thursday with zero crew contact permitted.

The cruise line's website has no mention of this - they did announce on Friday that all current and future cruises would be suspended for a period of 30 days - in line with other cruise companies. Boat is Silver Shadow (not one of the two Silversea ships reported on this morning by various outlets).
A bit of an update:

The boat is allowing passengers to use the pool deck, on a rota basis, which seems incredible. For example, my parents (who will not be taking up the offer) are permitted access from 11am to 12pm, and then 7pm to 8pm. Additionally, the ship have opened the bar/grill on the pool deck so that passengers can get food and drink.

Hopefully more will come out soon, but I am pretty incredulous at the moment at the sheer stupidity on display.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks, I was trying to find that answer. I don't really understand the border thing because I'm not sure about what it's supposed to prevent, the virus is already well established inside the borders.
My best guess is it is to reinforce the" stay at home" mentality. What Regulus is on about is wildly exaggerated though.

It is something that can be questioned though and it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled it back.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You're getting all of this wrong.

UK has confirmed it absolutely is not going for herd immunity.

And b), the UK IS following WHO guidelines and will continue to do so, on their timeline.
You know that there are quotes from the chief medical advisor to the government saying the exact opposite on this very page, right?

This is the person who are you supposed to trust the most, right:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...f-defends-uk-measures-criticism-herd-immunity

“Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it. Those are the key things we need to do.”

@Classical Mechanic @Smores @Regulus Arcturus Black
Bang on the money too.

They aren't going for herd immunity, their aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak and protect those most vunerable Anyone thinking it can be suppressed at this point are living in fantasy land, every land is going for herd immunity in this sense which is common sense surely at this point?

Yeah, if you take the Grand Est as an example, it's getting out of hand. The lockdown is probably not warranted for every regions but the northern part of the country is already overwhelmed.
France has 4,500 confirmed cases and the growth track is very similar to Italy. It takes up to 7 days for most people to get symptoms, which means that you really have 17-20k cases. It's a different story at that point and all major EU countries are starting lockdowns at ~ 5,000 cases for a reason. They know it really means 20k cases and that's the point where health services can no longer cope. Italy is at that point now and we have just received tonnes of equipment from China to expand capacity, other countries won't have that option.

You know that there are quotes from the chief medical advisor to the government saying the exact opposite on this very page, right?
No @B20, he's saying what is true. Europe is heading to herd immunity whether it's planned or not. Surely you understand this is inevitable at this stage right? Or do you honestly believe we can surpress it?

He's confirming that their aim/plan is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak and protect those most vulnerable.