SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Indeed, but the media in general need to be reporting more responsibly I feel. The Guardian's coverage is comprehensive, but they keep interspersing it with political snipes. It's not necessary at the moment.
Yeah, the live news feed should make clear separation between reporting news and presenting opinion.

nickm

You know that there are quotes from the chief medical advisor to the government saying the exact opposite on this very page, right?
The governments assumption is the spread of this can’t be stopped, it can only be managed. Herd immunity is something you get anyway, in that scenario. It doesn’t need to be a goal, but it’s an effect.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No @B20, he's saying what is true. Europe is heading to herd immunity whether it's planned or not. Surely you understand this is inevitable at this stage right? Or do you honestly believe we can surpress it?

He's confirming that their aim/plan is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak and protect those most vulnerable.
On what basis is anybody guaranteeing that herd immunity will occur?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, that's great if the elderly person has family or friendly neighbours. Some won't have those or will be too proud to rely on them. In these cases, the government will need to deliver food and other essentials to them, otherwise these people are going to be going out to buy food. They need to think this through more
I think you’ll see a big voluntary and community effort, which is probably being planned behind the scenes now. Wouldn’t at all be surprised if you see Uber Eats and Deliveroo infrastructures used.

Classical Mechanic

This is the person who are you supposed to trust the most, right:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...f-defends-uk-measures-criticism-herd-immunity

“Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it. Those are the key things we need to do.”

@Classical Mechanic @Smores @Regulus Arcturus Black
If you watch the Sky News interview he talks about building up herd immunity in a future tense and it is only part of the strategy, actually as a by-product of the other measures. Banning of public events and complete shutdowns are part of the plan also. The key disagreement is how soon to implement all the closures etc. The UK plan doesn't favour early shutdowns, travel bans etc because they perceive them of having limited efficacy and because you are going to have to open up again some time soon and the virus will explode again. Multiple shutdowns will have grave social and economic effects and cause mass suffering in and of themselves.

I'm not saying the UK approach is correct because I am just an ordinary citizen at the end of the day. The WHO approach will be optimal if a vaccine or better treatment can be found in short time but if those things do not happen it may turn out to be the wrong approach.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
UK car manufacturers and weapons suppliers are to be told to change their manufacturing to produce ventilators.

Simple. Why didn't we think of that before....
It should only take a few years before they start producing them.

Honestly. Car manufacturers are used to producing parts by the hundreds of thousands or millions.

How many ventilators will be needed.
Remember. If you need a ventilator, you will need a bed in a hospital.

Of course. That is where Boris promise of 40 new hospitals will happen.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm supposed to have a job interview on Wednesday down in Reading. If it still goes ahead I'll be travelling down to London on Tuesday, staying there for the night and then going into Reading on the Wednesday and back. The process says that they reimburse travel expenses so I should just book my travel down but I really don't feel like travelling at the moment because of all the uncertainties. I asked on Friday if they can make it a Skype interview and they got back telling me that they couldn't contact the recruiting manager so needed to wait until Monday (tomorrow) to see if that was fine. I hope that it is. I'll travel down if I really need to as it would be a fantastic job to have right now but yeah.

That's my main issue with the stance that the UK is taking right now. At least with a lockdown you have clear rules. What we are doing though is just causing panic amongst everyone in different ways and it's difficult to not get caught up in that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
While I get the UK's approach when it comes to not go too fast into a "lockdown". I'm not sure if they took into account the fact that the UK has a higher population density than most continental countries, it's one of the countries where things could get totally wrong in relatively small areas like Greater London. I could be wrong but looking at the french infection maps, it seems that there is a corrolation between density and the amount of infected people in an area.

While I get the UK's approach when it comes to not go too fast into a "lockdown". I'm not sure if they took into account the fact that the UK has a higher population density than most continental countries, it's one of the countries where things could get totally wrong in relatively small areas like Greater London. I could be wrong but looking at the french infection maps, it seems that there is a corrolation between density and the amount of infected people in an area.
You're a clever bloke JP, re-read that.

:lol: I'd imagine their models know full well how densely populated the UK is.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You're getting all of this wrong.

UK has confirmed it absolutely is not going for herd immunity.

And b), the UK IS following WHO guidelines and will continue to do so, on their timeline.
The UK explicitly isn't following WHO recommendations. In fact I'm not even sure it has claimed to be doing so.

For one example, the WHO has repeatedly said countries need an aggressive approach to testing:

"Find, isolate, test and treat every case, to break the chains of transmission. Every case we find and treat limits the expansion of the disease"

Whereas the UK have said such testing is not necessary:

"It is no longer necessary for us to identify every case and we will move from having testing mainly done in homes and outpatients and walk-in centres, to a situation where people who are remaining at home do not need testing".

That's a huge fundamental difference on one of the WHO's key pillars on tackling the pandemic, which itself immediately impacts on another of their key pillars, contact tracing.

Whereas the UK have said such testing is not necessary:

"It is no longer necessary for us to identify every case and we will move from having testing mainly done in homes and outpatients and walk-in centres, to a situation where people who are remaining at home do not need testing".

That's a huge fundamental difference on one of the WHO's key pillars on tackling the pandemic, which itself immediately impacts on another of their key pillars, contact tracing.
My God, no-one is doing this now man!! It's way past that stage!

That was phase one, and the UK did that at phase one.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This is the person who are you supposed to trust the most, right:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...f-defends-uk-measures-criticism-herd-immunity

“Our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same time we protect those who are most vulnerable to it. Those are the key things we need to do.”

@Classical Mechanic @Smores @Regulus Arcturus Black
Why are you highlighting the bold and ignoring the rest? People are acting as if the government is actively trying to infect people as widely and as quickly as possible. Herd immunity is a by product of the inevitable outcome. Of course the effects that brings about should be taken into account of the strategy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No-one is, but it's likely as we know how viruses work.

But it's inevitable at this stage that we're heading towards a large majority of the population contracting it.
But people seem to be contracting it again after having had it once, so unless somebody has a vaccine I’m not aware of then any talk of herd immunity being “inevitable” as you put it is very ostrich like.

Fooza

Aussies following our approach on schools and herd immunity:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says Australian schools should remain open for the time being, despite growing calls for them to shut down to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

However, Mr Morrison encouraged a policy of “social distancing” amongst children, where they stay 1.5 metres apart from each other at school.
link

However, it's all good and dandy, until they say students should social distance at school and stay 1.5 metres apart :lol:

dove

There so many conflicting statements made by senior officials you just don't know who to believe, it's like they have no idea themselves what is the actual plan. UK gov seriously needs to improve their communication because currently it just creates more uncertainty and chaos.

Why are you highlighting the bold and ignoring the rest? People are acting as if the government is actively trying to infect people as widely and as quickly as possible. Herd immunity is a by product of the inevitable outcome. Of course the effects that brings about should be taken into account of the strategy.
He's completely ignored all the important parts of that passage and concentrated on the bold, twisting it into believing what you've posted above, that the UK is in some way rying to infect people as widely and as quickly as possible, which isn't what he said at all.

Dante

Average bang
"Our aim is to try and... build up some kind of herd immunity"

Regulus' reading of the quote
That's the end result for every country. It's a scientific reality, not a policy that can decided on in any way.

JPRouve

Scout
You're a clever bloke JP, re-read that.

:lol: I'd imagine their models know full well how densely populated the UK is.
That's why I think that what I have read and heard is utterly stupid. I'm giving zero credits to their intelligence but maybe I'm totally wrong.

This is my theory as to why Spain has such an explosion of cases and its growing faster than anybody else in Europe. Their outbreak occurred in the middle of Madrid. In Italy it started in some random rural towns.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The real problem with herd immunity is that we have no evidence yet that immunity can definitely be achieved.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200315_13/
https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...n-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...id-19-twice-sick-spread-relapse-a9400691.html

This article suggests that's just down to bad testing though:
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...on-cures/487436-can-you-get-coronavirus-twice

If this is the case, then "herd immunity" is going to be nearly impossible as a percentage of people could always get reinfected. This would mean the governments current plan of action would eventually result in almost 100% of people getting infected at some point and with the mortality rate high that would have absolutely devastating consequences.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If you watch the Sky News interview he talks about building up herd immunity in a future tense and it is only part of the strategy, actually as a by-product of the other measures. Banning of public events and complete shutdowns are part of the plan also. The key disagreement is how soon to implement all the closures etc. The UK plan doesn't favour early shutdowns, travel bans etc because they perceive them of having limited efficacy and because you are going to have to open up again some time soon and the virus will explode again. Multiple shutdowns will have grave social and economic effects and cause mass suffering in and of themselves.

I'm not saying the UK approach is correct because I am just an ordinary citizen at the end of the day. The WHO approach will be optimal if a vaccine or better treatment can be found in short time but if those things do not happen it may turn out to be the wrong approach.
Yeah, that's fair explanation, but I think they are giving different explanations every day, so IMO they definitely aren't clear on their plan yet.

Also, I am not even saying UK's approach is wrong, maybe it's better than rest of the Europe, I guess we will know in few months, but I just question whether their plan is consistent and if they are actually aware what they are doing. For me it looks like they don't.

Also, he quite obviously says herd immunity is the key of that plan from the Guardian link.

"Our aim is to try and... build up some kind of herd immunity"

Regulus' reading of the quote
Incredible, right? :houllier:
You two are incredible.

We've already said, a large portion of the population will contract it. That isn't the UK's aim, it's an inevitability.

The only way to prevent that now is to find a time machine.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
How many confirmed cases of this Rado?
This below response seems as good as any.

The real problem with herd immunity is that we have no evidence yet that immunity can definitely be achieved.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200315_13/
https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...n-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...id-19-twice-sick-spread-relapse-a9400691.html

This article suggests that's just down to bad testing though:
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...on-cures/487436-can-you-get-coronavirus-twice

If this is the case, then "herd immunity" is going to be nearly impossible as a percentage of people could always get reinfected. This would mean the governments current plan of action would eventually result in almost 100% of people getting infected at some point and with the mortality rate high that would have absolutely devastating consequences.

Maticmaker

Yeah, the live news feed should make clear separation between reporting news and presenting opinion.
Good luck with that mate!

Since the advent of the 24/7 news-cycle , the Press, TV and Radio broadcasts in particular have something like 70% of their content presenting opinion, rather than actual reporting of news.
Comments like "its now over to our political editor/features editor, etc. to explain whats going on (or they should add what they think is going on!) are commonplace. The impression given is that because the person reporting is standing outside a building or overlooking a particular scene that they have all the insight... usually from unnamed sources!

Donald Trump has lots of problems and presents lots of problems, but he nailed that one with his 'Fake news'.

This below response seems as good as any.
From that article:

"Scientists in and outside China agree that reinfection is a highly unlikely explanation for the patients who retest positive. They say testing errors are more likely to blame —
either false negatives that resulted in patients being discharged too early, or false positives when they retested and were taken back into hospital."

Sometimes it pays to continue reading.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My God, no-one is doing this now man!! It's way past that stage!

That was phase one, and the UK did that at phase one.
That quote from the WHO calling for more aggressive testing and contact tracing is from Friday, after the UK had announced that such testing was no longer necessary. There has been absolutely zero suggestion from the WHO that testing or contact tracing should lessen in phase two.

Also Ireland, who are following WHO recommendations, are increasing both testing and contact tracing in phase two.

The idea that the UK's approach isn't at odds with the WHO's is straightforward factually incorrect.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
From that article:

"Scientists in and outside China agree that reinfection is a highly unlikely explanation for the patients who retest positive. They say testing errors are more likely to blame —
either false negatives that resulted in patients being discharged too early, or false positives when they retested and were taken back into hospital."

Almost amusing given your repetitive “they’re not going for herd immunity” nonsense when the government are repeatedly saying they are.

However the main point remains that we don’t know if immunity is achievable so trying to rely on it is monumentally stupid.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Im in the north and unionist, but they'll just have to get in line with ireland if that happens. No way we can have one set of rules and ireland another. Its impossible and closing the border would be impossible as well imo
Yes true.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
From that article:

Fecking hell.

Dante

Average bang
Aussies following our approach on schools and herd immunity:

link

However, it's all good and dandy, until they say students should social distance at school and stay 1.5 metres apart :lol:
Should they be at home social distancing 1.5 metres apart?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Why?

You can manage booking online and it’s free to change flights.
Because the advice by the government is particularly vague.

It says you should seriously consider it going, but not as far as saying don’t go.

Morocco have also stopped flights to 25 countries I believe, not including the UK, yet. So I wanted to see what happens if things suddenly close down on their end and to take some advice.

It hung up after two hours anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
Since I have seen people mention France several times, the approach(at least in Occitanie) may be questioned but it makes sense. Basically, the ER and virologist decided that at this point due to the lack of specific symptoms, it was best to focus on people at risk and people with severe symptoms instead of spreading themselves and widely test people in conditions that could actually spread the contagion, people with mild symptoms of cold or maybe Coronavirus should stay at home and show common sense, they are supposed to call the 15 and a doctor will do a remote consultation, while hospitals and virologist try to find a cure and take care of severe cases. The goal is basically to slowdown the spread and give themselves time to deal with the influx of patients and research.

It's clearly not a perfect plan but it makes sense.