SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

rotherham_red

Nope, wouldn't go to Africa at all if it's present there in any form - unless I already had it and knew I was completely immune or unlikely to get re-infected. I'd go to US just fine, only I'd buy good insurance before. I'd probably go in May if we are allowed to travel then, 90% of my trip will be within any people present within 100 meters. Airport would be a concern.
The irony, considering Africa has got off relatively lightly thus far while America's response has potentially been the worst of any country up til now.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Apparently half of people who have needed ICU in the Netherlands are under 50. Wow.
Hopefully not true...

Silly Question time: I normally go around at night taking photos in my hometown. I do it alone and if I don't touch anything there's zero chance I can get this, right?
I go around parks and abandoned areas, so getting mugged is my only concern.
Yeah I take my son skateboarding at night (empty carparks mainly) and am also concerned that it's defo ok (the carparks are busy in the day).

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Dream scenario and the smallest loss would be something like 21 day total lockdown in the entire world, army and police in proper suits and masks on the streets patrolling and SOS lines for the weakest. It would probably stop the virus from spreading totally, but of course it's pretty much impossible with so many irresponsible people around us.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I really think this is going to last a year. Maybe you will have peaks and troughs, where it gets better then gets worse and then gets better.

Even if they manage to contain it in the next few weeks where i am (Ireland) once they open up the country again, it will more than likely return. The guardian said it would be 2021 before the whole world gets it under control.

Smores

Vallance giving evidence to a committee at the moment and the more i hear the more I'm convinced the main issue they've had is a cocked up attempt by the government to take particular communication lines initially.

hungrywing

.38% is nowhere near the worst that Imperial College is predicting, what on earth are you talking about? Here is the actual word for word assessment of the worst case scenario for the UK from the Imperial College study:

That's twice your figure and doesn't even take into account the excess deaths caused by lack of access to necessary healthcare.

Your figure is based on the number of deaths being 250,000. That is an optimistic figure, not a worst case scenario. Again from the study:
That's the study that the UK govt. is coming under fire for ignoring, right?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Dream scenario and the smallest loss would be something like 21 day total lockdown in the entire world, army and police in proper suits and masks on the streets patrolling and SOS lines for the weakest. It would probably stop the virus from spreading totally, but of course it's pretty much impossible with so many irresponsible people around us.
If I am being honest, I thought us from the Balkans (Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo) would at least be easy to quarantine due to the majority of the population's experience with wartime quarantine. However, it just has not been working so far and it seems that sterner measures will be needed here.

If we can stay home, what chances are there of people in the West listening to advice en masse? Slim to none, I would say.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
That's the study that the UK govt. is coming under fire for ignoring, right?
From what I gather it's the study that influenced them to shift policy in the last couple of days - i could be wrong about that though.

Smores

407 new cases today is quite the leap, probably flattens when you consider yesterday didn't see such a huge jump.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Still wouldn't work because it was spread through homes at different rates. Everyone would have been to individually isolated, which is work of science fiction.

Even then, what about all the army, police and medical workers? This isn't a sprint.

Utdstar01

We have one politician telling us that we are 3 weeks away from Italy. Then the chief scientific advisor for the government tells us infection rates should come down in 2 to 3 weeks. So which one is it?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
If I am being honest, I thought us from the Balkans (Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo) would at least be easy to quarantine due to the majority of the population's experience with wartime quarantine. However, it just has not been working so far and it seems that sterner measures will be needed here.

If we can stay home, what chances are there of people in the West listening to advice en masse? Slim to none, I would say.
Yeah, people are just irresponsible. Our mentality is just like that, people are selfish and that's the biggest problem of mankind in general. I think we are bit lucky that we are still smaller countries in general, and that we are far from urban places like Milano, tc. when it comes to overpopulation and number of people passing through.

Majority of our countries actually did decent jobs with lockdowns pretty early(in comparission with other big countries from EU), but if we did quarantines just two weeks earlier we would be probably having no cases at all.

For me the most important thing is that police regulary checks people who are in quarantine now, because we still have relatively small number of people infected and it still can be controlled. If it goes bad, we are fecked because our health is on ridiculously bad level anyway.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Still wouldn't work because it was spread through homes at different rates. Everyone would have been to individually isolated, which is work of science fiction.

Even then, what about all the army, police and medical workers? This isn't a sprint.
Of course, that's why I said 21 days instead of 14, I believe 21 days would be more than good for homes with 1-5 people. But it's just a guess, maybe 30 day is more realistic.

With proper instructions and proper equipment I belive police and army wouldn't be a problem, but as I said on the beggining, it's a dream scenario that's pretty much impossible. But still probably the only solution.

If amything, it could work for smaller countries I reckon, with closing the borders after that.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I mean the clue is in the name that the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome didn't originate in China...
The WHO do not know where it originated but there were outbreaks in Camels in several countries including South Asia. They believe the virus originated in bats and transmitted to Camels some time ago. I may have to stand corrected on MERs originating in China but nobody knows where it did start.

China needs to stand up and be counted.

Scrumpet

There are no words
We have one politician telling us that we are 3 weeks away from Italy. Then the chief scientific advisor for the government tells us infection rates should come down in 2 to 3 weeks. So which one is it?
In theory we could be where Italy were 3 weeks ago and not end up where they are now in 3 weeks time.

Simbo

Butting in here but I totally agree. SARS, MERS and now this. Its always them.

This can't go unchallenged.
SARS & SARS2 originate from Bats that are carriers of a very similar virus, which transmits to other animals through a variety of ways. These bats just happen to be in China, the Chinese people/government didn't put them there. WTF do you want them to do?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Of course, that's why I said 21 days instead of 14, I believe 21 days would be more than good for homes with 1-5 people. But it's just a guess, maybe 30 day is more realistic.

With proper instructions and proper equipment I belive police and army wouldn't be a problem, but as I said on the beggining, it's a dream scenario that's pretty much impossible. But still probably the only solution.

If amything, it could work for smaller countries I reckon, with closing the borders after that.
Even 28 days wouldn't work. You have households with 8+ people in it and it could well spread only every 5 days. There is no dream sprint scenario outside of science fiction or a miracle. Even those countries that have done the most stringent lockdowns, reducing the growth in cases, and are going to have to take very precise, carefully planned steps for months, if not a year.

People need to remember we cannot test who has had the virus yet. We can only test who has the virus.

Dante

Average bang
I get that China's demand for food is high. But rather than putting anything and everything on the menu, they need to reduce the number of species they eat and then keep them separate locations so that cross-infection doesn't occur.

The best model for them to follow is the battery farming we have here in the West. It's the one way that'll allow them to keep up with demand.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
SARS & SARS2 originate from Bats that are carriers of a very similar virus, which transmits to other animals through a variety of ways. These bats just happen to be in China, the Chinese people/government didn't put them there. WTF do you want them to do?
Not eat the bats?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
What data points are you using to make that argument?
No data. Just a feeling that we haven’t seen the worst from the virus yet and that we need to do all we can to contain it. Having millions of kids and staff together in small classrooms with the way things are is ridiculous, imo. Better be safe than sorry.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Stop eating Bats?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not eat the bats?
You don't actually need to eat bats, bats generally eat fruits and pathogens are transmitted from their saliva to fallen fruits that are then eaten by other animals, in Africa it can be forest antelopes or even farmed goats, nothing as shocking as people seem to have in mind, in some cases mosquitoes and flies will then carry some of these pathogens around.

The reality of these viruses is that they exist and that the closer we physically get from tropical forest, the more space we take, the likelier we are to be infected by something that we can't handle. There are organisms in the middle of the Amazon and Africa that you don't want to meet.

Adamsk7

Silly Question time: I normally go around at night taking photos in my hometown. I do it alone and if I don't touch anything there's zero chance I can get this, right?
My friend is a photographer in Florence and he does just this. He has some incredible photos of landmarks that would otherwise be populated by people.

rotherham_red

I get that China's demand for food is high. But rather than putting anything and everything on the menu, they need to reduce the number of species they eat and then keep them separate locations so that cross-infection doesn't occur.

The best model for them to follow is the battery farming we have here in the West. It's the one way that'll allow them to keep up with demand.
That's a gross generalisation. It's not even the general populace in China that partake in the consumption of these exotic meats, but the rich and powerful. Their greed and selfishness is what has caused this: