SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Virgil

There has to be something annouced next week. Its easy to say we can match 80 percent of salaried employees wages but how do they come up with a figure for self employed people? What do they base it on?

Try and hang in there, there has to be something coming. Has to be
I am right I rechecked. That 80% of salary is subject to a maximum payment of 2.5k per month (just above median wage)

Utdstar01

Where's the logic in closing all those places but then leaving shopping centres open? :houllier:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Can anyone explain to me what as a sole trader, self employed person, who has kids, is not claiming universal credit, and is seeing business dwindle, what the chancellor has done for me? The Vat thing isn't relevant, and my next tax bill isn't until the end of July.

I'm not having a dig, I am just confused by what I am supposed to do if the money runs out. I have no inclination of going anyway near the reported minefield that universal credit apparently is.

Also the 1.4 million vulnerable who are supposed to self isolate, are they meant to do this alone? As my wife will be on the list (MS), if so I won't be going to work at all.
Sounds like a lot of you are in the same boat, so I’d expect measures to cater for you up next, hopefully.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
30% infection rate from only 2000 tests suggests the numbers in the UK are a lot, lot higher than what's currently being reported.
Are these random tests of general population, or tests of people with coronavirus symptoms?

If it's tests of people with symptoms, then 30% isn't too bad.

If it's testing the general population with or without symptoms, 30% would be a staggeringly high number.

C'est Moi Cantona

It'll come, it's easy to address normal businesses first as it's a simple process with HRMC on working out what people earn. Self employed has many, many, many moving pieces and one cap won't fit all. They need to understand what values they give (presuming every self employed person declares everything they earn to the taxman) back to a self employed person, along with what the mechanic for paying them is. The latter is probably the most difficult.
Well I hope you're right, as a tax deferment, and telling you that a benefit you don't claim will be topped up just doesn't cut it.

I have no issue with paying more tax further down the line to help extract the country from the financial black hole this must be creating, but I need practical, easy to get help very soon, just like the employed sector has been given.

redshaw

Only 2000 tests in UK but yesterday we had 8k and day before 6k.

At least today the deaths are pretty low.

With half as many ICU beds as Italy and 2.5-2.8 beds per 1000 I fear UK is going to get hit hard soon, even if the cases are lower and testing is higher than some other countries at the end. Poor healthcare, near bottom of 40 countries for ICU/beds, poor health of the general public and careless attitudes and no mask wearing will take it's toll.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

If you do more testing then you are able to treat them earlier so they have a better chance of recovery. Korea tests about 16,000 at least per day. That gave them enough information and notice on who to treat immediately or not. That saved a lot of lives. Apart from China and Korea no one is or was testing this way. All respectable doctors and scientists and WHO is saying the same thing. Test and test and more testing.

arnie_ni

I am right I rechecked. That 80% of salary is subject to a maximum payment of 2.5k per month (just above median wage)
Are you quoting the wrong person? The conversation i was part of was self employed persons, not employees

hobbers

Problem with the UK's testing giving that many positive hits is that aren't they now supposed to be focusing primarily on NHS workers?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If you do more testing then you are able to treat them earlier so they have a better chance of recovery. Korea tests about 16,000 at least per day. That gave them enough information and notice on who to treat immediately or not. That saved a lot of lives. Apart from China and Korea no one is or was testing this way. All respectable doctors and scientists and WHO is saying the same thing. Test and test and more testing.
Does anybody know what the situation with testing is in Italy?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My wife works at a hospital and said 2 patients might not make it anymore with the virus. Both in late 50s and neither with any underlying respiratory issues. Blood pressure and diabetes. That's all.

Really scary stuff.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Problem with the UK's testing giving that many positive hits is that aren't they now supposed to be focusing primarily on NHS workers?
They made assurances that they would be doing it but didn't say when. They also said they'd be ramping up testing which obviously hit a bump in the road yesterday.

If they're still focussing on testing inpatients it would explain the hit rate, but not why there was such a drop off in the total carried out.

Classical Mechanic

My wife works at a hospital and said 2 patients might not make it anymore with the virus. Both in late 50s and neither with any underlying respiratory issues. Blood pressure and diabetes. That's all.

Really scary stuff.
Blood pressure, diabetes and heat disease are the three comorbidities most commonly found in people that die from this. Nearly all people that die from it have a comorbidity.

Problem for Boris is that he’s being completely upstaged by his deputy.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Very relieved to see the government pledges on wage. It was expected but not unwelcome. Our agency has been on the precipice of ceasing for the past week. I can now fully isolate with family without any immediate concern.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Very relieved to see the government pledges on wage. It was expected but not unwelcome. Our agency has been on the precipice of ceasing for the past week. I can now fully isolate with family without any immediate concern.
Nice. Wish I was in the same position :(

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Friday night Bingo in the flats in Ringsend in Dublin:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Problem for Boris is that he’s being completely upstaged by his deputy.
People seem to have responded positively to Sunak because he's at least capable of striking a more statesman like tone when speaking, as below. I don't think Boris would be capable of striking that tone as the semi-smirking, misbehaving schoolchild image he projects robs him of gravitas. While that has worked for him in other contexts, it's hindering him now.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Newbie @mehdimike has asked me to relay this question...

Do any of you know any statistics about the rate of recovered asthmatics? (For Covid-19)

The poster is from Iran and his father has asthma, which is prompting the question.
I've been looking into this a bit due to my brother being asthmatic (and a carefree asshat). There isn't anything definitive, but it seems to very much depend on how serious your asthma is along with how old you are. If you have poorly controlled asthma or have to take steroid pills then the NHS defines you along with COPD sufferers as being in a high risk group. Those that are inhaler only are not given any specific guidance other than to be wary.

Actual research is thin on the ground and I haven't managed to come across a study that specifically isolates asthmatics as a group, let alone stratifies them by severity. The nearest I've got is this study that I posted on March 11th: Comorbidity and its impact on 1,590 patients with COVID-19 in China: A Nationwide Analysis

Here's the relevant table from that study (need to remember that it is a very rough guide):

As you can see Asthma isn't covered, only people with COPD. What this basically says is that people with COPD are roughly 2.681 times more likely to die than a healthy person in the same age group. So as a best guess if I'm 30 and suffer from COPD I have a 0.2 x 2.681 = 0.54% and chance of dying. Note the confidence interval is very wide indeed here, and the study can only say with 95% certainty that the true hazard ratio lies somewhere between 1.424 and 5.048.

This doesn't correspond 1:1 to the hazard ratio associated with severe asthma and represents the very worst estimate an asthma sufferer would have. It will vastly overstate the risk associated with milder asthma. In terms of studies around this area though it's the best I've got as of now.

It's also important to note that there is no evidence of people with asthma being more prone to contracting the disease, and that Asthma UK and ACAII (the American one) both say that there is no elevated risk from continuing to take your medication.

@mehdimike

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Are these random tests of general population, or tests of people with coronavirus symptoms?

If it's tests of people with symptoms, then 30% isn't too bad.

If it's testing the general population with or without symptoms, 30% would be a staggeringly high number.
30% infection rate from only 2000 tests suggests the numbers in the UK are a lot, lot higher than what's currently being reported.
Only people with strong or severe symptoms that tick the corona box I’d imagine, or if you’ve got lots of money like a footballer....
The criteria for being tested has clearly been narrowed. My ex’s mum had a bad cough and breathing difficulties a few days back but no fever or temperature so they didn’t test her or take her into hospital and said it’s probably a chest infection. Apparently the LAS crew came out in fully protective gear. In a perfect world we’d test everybody but we clearly don’t have the resources so it makes sense testing in a box ticking sort of way.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Churchgoers shouldn’t be the problem, but you never know. Pray that virus away!
Mother and father in law went to church last Sunday. They do this thing where they take a minute to hug everyone near them each service and despite clear advice on how to engage with other people, still did it this week. Idiots

I told them not to bother asking to come to my house to see kids... if they can't be arsed to avoid dozens of people, don't see why me/my family should increase our risk.

Sure they'll be ok though, their faith will beat Covid 19