SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

432JuanMata

From the live site I track everyday from this day last week. It was 16000 new cases and 700 deaths worldwide today it’s 26000+ and 1775 deaths and loads of countries haven’t updated fully yet. This is getting incredibly serious incredibly quick

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People are idiots though. I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and the toilet roll aisle was decimated, what was left? Boxes and boxes of Kleenex....for a respiratory virus...

Unless people cough out their arse, they're selfish morons.
What's the obsession with toilet paper ? I don't get it. I'd rather use soap and water to clean my private parts extensively anyway and wash my hands like crazy after.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
So give us some professional knowledge then
That said, I was having a cig outside a shopping centre and some guy came asked for a light and then just stood next to me. So I started coughing on purpose and touching my forehead as if to see if I had a temperature... he quickly left
Seems like a responsible thing for a professional virologist to do. 10/10.

massi83

I dread to think what's gonna happen in Africa. There is possibility of having thousands and thousand dying everyday
Median age in Africa is 20. 1 under 20 died in China. So because of demographics they have it easier. median age in italy is 46 I think.

Fully Fledged

From the live site I track everyday from this day last week. It was 16000 new cases and 700 deaths worldwide today it’s 26000+ and 1775 deaths and loads of countries haven’t updated fully yet. This is getting incredibly serious incredibly quick
That's crazy. such waste of life.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Dont understand the penic buying. At most you self isolate for 2 weeks.

So day one go and buy 2 weeks worth of groceries. By day 8 you'll have ate a week, so go and buy another weeks worth.

You'll always have more or less 2 weeks stock on hand.

There's no call to buy a months worth of food every week. Its physically impossible to get through.
This. At best you could only have three weeks food in your fridge and freezer. Then it goes off as well after some time has elapsed.

If you wanted to ride this thing out and go full hermetic and live off the radar for two years you would need a house sized freezer. Even still milk only lasts about six months frozen. Bread as well.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Median age in Africa is 20. 1 under 20 died in China. So because of demographics they have it easier. median age in italy is 46 I think.
But probably many will have to fight it off without medical assistance and in many cases without medicine.

FrantikChicken

It hasn't even started. Flu global figures:

"Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year."

The thing is the Corona cases are bound to be much, much higher than reported as most of us are not being tested.

www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year%3famp=true

kouroux

They have it easier for now because many countries have quickly closed their borders. However I look at the map today and a week ago, the entire continent is affected now. Also if there are doubts regarding the official number of people infected in developped countries, just imagine it in Africa.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
What's the obsession with toilet paper ? I don't get it. I'd rather use soap and water to clean my private parts extensively anyway and wash my hands like crazy after.
No idea. Not sure whether it started with one person buying loads and social media has perpetuated the insanity? Is it a genius marketing ploy from Andrex? It's just people not thinking. For 30yrs I've scoffed at bidets...I take that all back now.

massi83

They have it easier for now because many countries have quickly closed their borders. However I look at the map today and a week ago, the entire continent is affected now. Also if there are doubts regarding the official number of people infected in developped countries, just imagine it in Africa.
Yes. But this kills mainly (not only) very old and sick. There aren't as many old people in Africa

hobbers

Let's go down to Asda first thing and queue for hours in a throng of people, fight each other like rabid animals for a few rashers of bacon and then spend another couple of hours getting through the tills.

We'll have a month of food, most of which we won't eat or will go off, and be guaranteed to have caught the virus and then we'll pass it on to everyone back home. Freakin' geniuses.

I'm getting my essentials from corner shops, and wandering around the supermarkets late to pick through the leftovers. Much preferable.

Fully Fledged

This. At best you could only have three weeks food in your fridge and freezer. Then it goes off as well after some time has elapsed.

If you wanted to ride this thing out and go full hermetic and live off the radar for two years you would need a house sized freezer. Even still milk only lasts about six months frozen. Bread as well.
One of the first things that sold out were freezers.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
One nice thing in France, each night at 8 people are going out onto their balconies and applauding and cheering for the medical people to show their appreciation.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't know why he said it that way but a virologist at Montpellier CHU said a week ago that it was conceivable that the chinese and italian strains were different, due to the evolutive nature of coronaviruses.

We know about at least two different strains. One named S-Strain and the other L-Strain. I don't know more about it.
I'm pretty sure this has been discredited.

In contrast, other experts in the field say the two types the Chinese researchers claimed to have identified were a result of both normal viral mutation and errors in data that they were relying on.

University of Queensland virologist Ian Mackay said there were fundamental problems with the study, including that some of the data, which was published on a database shared by researchers, had not yet been "cleaned up".

"[The differences] are sequence errors which in fact were corrected [by the submitting scientist] very soon after they were originally uploaded to the GISAID database," Professor Mackay said.

He said the patterns they identified were no more than normal variation.

"They're almost all identical. It's like us putting on different clothes from day to day," Professor Mackay said.

"I can't believe this has been peer reviewed. It's a weak paper and poor science."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-03-06/coronavirus-two-strains-infection-study/12023822

kouroux

No idea. Not sure whether it started with one person buying loads and social media has perpetuated the insanity? Is it a genius marketing ploy from Andrex? It's just people not thinking. For 30yrs I've scoffed at bidets...I take that all back now.
Some companies are exploding their incomes it's crazy.

kouroux

One nice thing in France, each night at 8 people are going out onto their balconies and applauding and cheering for the medical people to show their appreciation.
Shamelessly copied from Italy, french people are still not disciplined enough to stay indoors though. The governement has seriously the fines for people who are outside without cause

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
And spreading it will be far far quicker because social distancing is impossible here. How do you do that with households of 5-10 people ?
Absolutely, I talked to a guy I know who is in Mozambique right now volunteering in areas afected by the floods and he tells me in some areas there are entire small villages living in one or two buildings. If this gets to those areas it will be horrific.

Giggs86

Dont understand the penic buying. At most you self isolate for 2 weeks.

So day one go and buy 2 weeks worth of groceries. By day 8 you'll have ate a week, so go and buy another weeks worth.

You'll always have more or less 2 weeks stock on hand.

There's no call to buy a months worth of food every week. Its physically impossible to get through.
The logic behind panic buying is the fear that there won't be any open stores or groceries left because the people responsible for the supply chain will stop showing up for work.

Only that in reality it usually happens only in disaster/survival/horror 28 days type of movies, not in real life.

Fully Fledged

It hasn't even started. Flu global figures:

"Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year."

The thing is the Corona cases are bound to be much, much higher than reported as most of us are not being tested.

www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year%3famp=true
at the 1775 deaths/day you're looking at 650,000 deaths/year and it hasn't really started yet.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
While I respect @Arruda being a doctor and his knowledge on the situation in general and his posts here from the very start of the thread up until now, it has nothing do with his knowledge of Wuhan hospital and situation in China before it came in Europe. He probably knows less than your average Joe about situation in China because he decided he isn't trusting and reading any news article, despite there being quite detailed news regarding this on BBC, CNN, many interviews and even articles from Chinese sites - he thinks all of that are fake news. By the looks of it he is not even aware that there were actuallty protests in China over this and that even their citizens are blaming their goverment for initial cover up and lack of reaction regarding this, and keeps blaming European countries for not reacting earlier.

By the 31st december, China did nothing, they were actually covering this story very well and sending police to anyone spreading news about it.

Anyone who still doesn't believe it should read this very detailed articles covering it really well, and not just like your average news site without any proofs, they are actually quoting many links directly from China:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/08/opinions/coronavirus-bociurkiw/index.html

https://amp.scmp.com/comment/opinio...sis-how-death-li-wenliang-doctor-and-ordinary

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/pol...se-academics-call-justice-coronavirus-whistle

And some others interesting links:

https://amp.dw.com/en/sierens-china-li-wenliang-a-tragic-hero/a-52373250

Until late on February 7, the state media could not yet decide whether they should even announce Li's death, and contradictory reports ran for several hours.
https://www.vox.com/2020/2/4/21122072/china-coronavirus-healthcare

According to a January 29 report in the New England Journal of Medicine, by authors from the Chinese CDC, there were already health care workers infected in early January — something like seven health care workers infected. This is the smoking-gun evidence of human-to-human transmission.

But the public was not kept informed about this situation until January 18.