SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Karma I guess!

Also none of the gyms are giving refunds as they have 'force majeure' written into their contracts with customers. Best case if they will defer the booking for 36 months. He might also be finding it very difficult to get back home, as all flights to Europe are fully booked, unless you want to pay £5000 for a business class upgarde, most of which have all gone anyway.

Those left here have quite a philosophical view: If the world shuts down for a few months and we get stranded here, and if we survive the virus after we get it, its one of the best places to be: surrounded by seas full of fish and loads of very skilful fisherman, loads of fruit and rice and vegetables available and no tourists to eat them! Could be worse.

However, one other fear is what happens when the locals run out of money. This tourist season in Phuket has been disastrous, and businesses have only gained perhaps 50-60% of what they had in their plans. After the Tsunami, locals starting kidnapping foreigners and demanding ransoms, or just robbing them, as they had no income at all. Really doubt t will get to that, but then I guess, all bets are off!
Stay safe. All bets are off in situations like these indeed

An unintended side effect of this as well is that healthcare workers are struggling to get what they need. One of the nurses I work with had a bit of a meltdown a few days ago about the public hoarding all of these supplies and expecting her to go hungry and with a dirty ass.

People need to engage their brains a little more.
Health care workers should have special hours dedicated for their shopping for me, the work they do is unvaluable, they shouldn't have to worry about finding groceries

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Why because I made a point that anyone can say they’re anything online. How does AfricanSpurs know Arudda is a Doctor? And now suddenly he too claims to be a medic.
It's because we have ganged up on you to ridicule and torment your good self of course.

Or because many posters here know each other and we are a reasonably close knit community you giant weapon..

Foxbatt

This sounds very like the direction the UK government were debating at one point. Effectively 4 months quarantine for the ones at most risk. The debate about school closures told us how little chance there was of the public accepting it.

As weak as the inter-generational ties look at times in Britain, they still exist. Parents protect their children and vice versa - and emotionally we want to go closer to them, not further away (even if medically that's the wrong choice) The care system relies on family carers, often cutting across generations and risk groups.

Professional carers and healthcare workers have families of their own.

At the moment we can't even find a satisfactory way of physically caring for people in retirement homes, without exposing them to infection risks. Now multiply that across all the other kinds of care from live-in through daily visits, to weekly clean/laundry/do shopping sessions. It's a nice theory, but real people aren't so easily compartmentalised.
Actually the UK government was going to let it infect a huge number of people so that it may mutate and the people become immune. The down side of it is that you do not know how many people will die by infection. The Asian version is that you quarantine and isolate anyone who has been infected and also not let them come into contact with anyone else. That way they can keep them isolated and treat them as well. This herd version in the UK is not being accepted by any Asian country who has been through this. It is the only solution is to keep the infection to as low number as possible and not what the UK is doing.
In cases like this the public should not have any say in what the government is doing. It should have national emergency powers and shut down all public places including schools, Universities, Churches, mosques etc where the public gather or can gather.

Rooney1987

No idea. Not sure whether it started with one person buying loads and social media has perpetuated the insanity? Is it a genius marketing ploy from Andrex? It's just people not thinking. For 30yrs I've scoffed at bidets...I take that all back now.
Pretty much. I saw YouTube video of a guy in Japan telling how people in Tokyo in February saw a viral tweet about one of the main manufacturers for Toilet paper was Chinese was being closed down. Was false obviously but didn’t stop people and social media going crazy. Stop after in Tokyo a few days but it spread across Europe and isn’t stopped for a month.

BIGbadBOO4

I hope this is true. Jesus we could do with something positive. People still not taking this seriously. My local golf course was absolutely full all day. People in groups of 4 all next to each other. It was like nothing is happening.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But they always say it'd take months/years to develop a cure.
In fairness, the study, while promising.....is really quite limited and they acknowledge that in the paper. They've released it due to the urgency of the situation.

I've just had a quick skim read and seemingly the study had a total of 42 patients (of whom 6 dropped out), didn't include ICU patients and the primary endpoints were shedding of the virus, not quite clinical outcomes.

Still, anything is potentially good news so I'll be eager to see what bigger trials show for it.

Classical Mechanic

Why because I made a point that anyone can say they’re anything online. How does AfricanSpurs know Arudda is a Doctor? And now suddenly he too claims to be a medic.
They’ve been fake doctors on here a lot longer than you’ve been a fake virologist so they’ve got more money in the bank.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
But they always say it'd take months/years to develop a cure.
Doctors probably know better, but pretty sure these things are actually known and available to hospitals at the moment. Or at least in limited quantities. But don't take it for granted of course.

Devil81

I don't think we have a choice but to shut down everything. People working worried to keep other people's business afloat in this situation isn't fair anyway.

The Government need to act fast before we end up mirroring Italy in two weeks time, its time for the army to roll on, its time to force us to stay inside rather than give us the option.

It's boring as hell but I value mine and my families lives more.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
One nice thing in France, each night at 8 people are going out onto their balconies and applauding and cheering for the medical people to show their appreciation.
Yesterday we had every radio station in Italy play the national anthem and three popular Italian songs at 11.00. I only knew "Volare", so I looked up the Italian lyrics and sang along. :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In fairness, the study, while promising.....is really quite limited and they acknowledge that in the paper. They've released it due to the urgency of the situation.

I've just had a quick skim read and seemingly the study had a total of 42 patients (of whom 6 dropped out), didn't include ICU patients and the primary endpoints were shedding of the virus, not quite clinical outcomes.

Still, anything is potentially good news so I'll be eager to see what bigger trials show for it.
And I suppose they don't wanna make OTT announcements which will make people break the needed confinement measures.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Doctors probably know better, but pretty sure these things are actually known and available to hospitals at the moment. Or at least in limited quantities. But don't take it for granted of course.
The drugs are not new at all. Azithromycin is an antibiotic for all kinds of infections (including STDs!) and Hydroxychloroquine is used for malaria treatment and some autoimmune conditions like Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis as well.

So if they do work, it would be incredible. We wouldn't need to still develop it, we wouldn't need to hope the company that develops it allows other companies to produce it. It would already be out there.

The study is not exactly.....watertight but let's hope follow up studies also show a positive effect, both for reducing viral loads (and therefore potentially reducing how long someone can infect others) and also as a treatment.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think we have a choice but to shut down everything. People working worried to keep other people's business afloat in this situation isn't fair anyway.

The Government need to act fast before we end up mirroring Italy in two weeks time, its time for the army to roll on, its time to force us to stay inside rather than give us the option.

It's boring as hell but I value mine and my families lives more.
I’m up for shutting down right now too. Pretty exposed at work and more and more people seem to be feeling that way in my anecdotal experience. Still plenty that are ignoring it and they’re the ones making keeping things open impossible.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And I suppose they don't wanna make OTT announcements which will make people break the needed confinement measures.
For sure. Its taken months for (some!) people in the West to start following these methods, probably wouldn't take much to get everyone out again.

Either way, I hope it works!

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
The drugs are not new at all. Azithromycin is an antibiotic for all kinds of infections (including STDs!) and Hydroxychloroquine is used for malaria treatment and some autoimmune conditions like Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis as well.

So if they do work, it would be incredible. We wouldn't need to still develop it, we wouldn't need to hope the company that develops it allows other companies to produce it. It would already be out there.

The study is not exactly.....watertight but let's hope follow up studies also show a positive effect, both for reducing viral loads (and therefore potentially reducing how long someone can infect others) and also as a treatment.
Of course, that's what I guessed/hoped so it could definitely be a good news!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Some people are saying it’s the way deaths are reported. So if someone catches Corona but has an underlying health issue then then the death gets attributed to the health issue.

I have no idea if this is the case.
That (⬆) is what Italy was doing?

My understanding is the low German mortality rate is simply statistics.

They have lots of testing kits so test more so get a large number of infected cases (like everywhere else).

But, they are testing lots of young people (unlike most other countries) who are far less likely to die from it.

Hence, mortality rate appears much lower than other countries. (More ventilators MAY help too but I don't think would explain different levels in itself).

(*Based on what I've read, media can't be guaranteed. Saw an article about it earlier in the FT. It was wrapped around my bag of chips)

zing

Zingle balls

Not only that. The six who dropped out had one death.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Looks like Dybala tested positive today. Wasn't he tested last week or the week before with entire Juventus squad?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Good info, especially the bit towards the end where he says it will come back again later in the year when the weather gets cool and infect anyone who wasn't infected this time. So barring a vaccine, we will probably have to go through this again at some point.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I know @4bars mentioned that people were flouting the ban in Spain earlier in this thread - I was suprised as it's been really quiet down south - but tonight there's a full on kid's Spanish birthday party* going on down the road from me. Seems like we're fecking idiots too (I'm Brit but in Spain 7 years).

I just don't get it. I can't understand the mentality.

*basically, the entire family potentially 50+ people, flamenco dancing, PA system and it'll be going on til 1 or so in the morning
Thats the state of the roads in Spain for a weekend get always. For the rest of people sorry is in english. But basically. several kilometres of feckING TRAFFIC JAM

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2824495/0/retenciones-trafico-inicio-fin-de-semana/

Spain is doomed. Has the worst projection curve in the world. in 4 days will reach close to 1000 deaths per day and our peak is foreseen for 15-21 april. But seeing all this morons, who know if there will be a controlled peak or just a full blown one. If it is controlled peak, we will reach it with 3000 deaths a day at least with more than +50.000 at the peak. going down the peak, another 50.000. And then more...

Looking pretty ugly. My dad is very healthy, no pathologist, but they are rejecting in some hospitals ALREADY the +65. He is 7e, so if he gets it he is dead most likely. He is responsible, stocked for 3 months food and being quite attentive in his disinfection, and cleaning recommendations, but its never 100% perfect. Today I just scared him a bit more, and i cried a little because there are morons that still going out even risking to being fined. As a country we have what we deserve, but as individuals, most likely the stupid ones will survive

Devil81

I’m up for shutting down right now too. Pretty exposed at work and more and more people seem to be feeling that way in my anecdotal experience. Still plenty that are ignoring it and they’re the ones making keeping things open impossible.
I'm currently working from home, my wife has had a cough for a few days so we are self isolating so it's 14 days at home for us.

I don't want to go back to office once it's done, so I'm going to work my arse off from home this next few weeks to prove I don't need to be in the office to work during this issue.

If I have to go back I'm going to make it clear I don't want to. I also feel so sorry for the supermarket workers, low wage and yet they are exposed to so many people a day, my young teenage daughter wanted to grab one of the jobs Tesco are offering but I wouldn't let her.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If you could ride this out in any country, which would you choose?

arnie_ni

This is wrong. If there are two people in a home and Person A becomes symptomatic, they self isolate for 7 days and Person B house isolates for 14 days. If Person B then becomes symptomatic on Day 14 or even the morning of Day 15, they would need to self isolate themselves for a further 7 days, which would be 21 or 22 days.

See here: https://assets.publishing.service.g...file/874011/Stay_at_home_guidance_diagram.pdf
Oh thats interesting. That wasn't exactly how they expalined it in the press conference. Thats a good link. You should put that in the other thread