SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Fener1907

@FeneR, actually the studies show that an athlete “can” be at an increased risk during periods of heavy intense training and a couple of weeks after a race only.
They also show that moderate activity may enhance immune function.

So, being a marathon runner absolutely is healthy, or can be, depending on the individual runner and their current training. Whereas you made out it’s anything but which was way too wishy washy with the facts.
Yeah, you're right. My post was very impetuous.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Running marathons is one of the last things somebody should do if they want to be considered healthy. Fit, sure. Healthy, no.

It's silly how that's used to imply somebody is inherently healthy, not to mention how it neglects every other variable in their life that an observer can't possibly account for.
The average marathon runner is waaaaaay healthier than the average person.

I know what you’re saying. Fitness doesn’t equal health. But it’s a very silly and deluded point that’s only true of a tiny tiny subset of runners.

Sweet Square

I think he's actually right to some extent. Some self employed people are going to be making hay because the sun is shining incredibly brightly right now.

You could allow people to apply on the caveat that if they bring in a certain amount between two dates they are liable to pay it back by a certain date but how do you police that? People will use all sorts of accounting wizardry to ensure their accounts are beneficial to them when the time comes to evaluate if they should pay it back or not.
Tbh I would have thought a former Goldman Sachs banker would be in favour of people making a ton of money and not having to worry about paying it back.

The average marathon runner is waaaaaay healthier than the average person.

I know what you’re saying. Fitness doesn’t equal health. But it’s a very silly and deluded point that’s only true of a tiny tiny subset of runners.
Yep, my post was shite.
Nar, it both was and wasn't.

The point you made which was good is that you wouldn't want to be running hard marathon training or running a hard marathon race right now! Not at all.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yeah Tfl need to do a lot more. They shouldn't be reducing services for one, more trains but control the amount allowed into stations so that people are spaced out.

The only thing that will stop people using it is making it slow and inconvenient.
Boris bikes should be free too. I know people touch handlebars but gloves could be mandatory.

Fully Fledged

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52018136

Coronavirus: Separated parents 'relieved' children can be moved
Some parents were worried they would not be able to see their children if they do not live with them full-time.

He initially suggested children should not be travelling between different houses during the restrictions.

But he later back-tracked and apologised for being unclear, saying it "may be necessary" for some to move.
These ministers need to learn how to talk clearly.

Fener1907

Nar, it both was and wasn't.

The point you made which was good is that you wouldn't want to be running hard marathon training or running a hard marathon race right now! Not at all.
Exactly. It's better to be sat down the pub with affluent, like-minded folk than out accumulating all of that wear and tear.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
But those, except the 2 people, were mentioned on Friday. Most things closed on the weekend, maybe it's where I am but I saw no store not under the essential shops open. Either he did say it and people listened and he just repeated, or these places did it themselves and he is just saying it to confirm. Either way, almost nothing is new in what he said in my opinion.... again except the 2 people thing.

I can only assume it's a set up for something more strict later but again, enforcement will be tough without going extreme
The actual power to fine, and the closings may have been mentioned but weren't enforced until last night.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I have no idea where we're going to get the money for this and I imagine my wage packet will be paying for it for years to come, but glad to see we're looking after all those laid off, including the self employed who'll be earning more money anyway ;)
The Government is to increase the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Support payment for people who have been laid off due to the virus from €203 to €350.

The payment will also apply to the self-employed affected by the virus.

The Cabinet has also approved an emergency wage subsidy scheme under which the Government will pay 70% of a workers salary up to a cap of €410 per week net - equivalent to the after tax income of a worker on around €40,000.

The scheme will initially run for 12 weeks, and employers will be free to top-up the Government's element of the salary.

The scheme is targeted at companies hit by the collapse of economic activity triggered by the coronavirus outbreak - and employers seeking to avail of it would have to demonstrate a reduction in income of at least 25%, along with cash flow difficulties.

It is understood that the aim is to keep employees and employers connected, and make it easier to restart businesses when the crisis ends.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Absolutely but the fact remains that during most periods of regular training (a large chunk of the year), a marathoner is much healthier than most of the population.
To an extent. Someone who is running one of those twenty day marathons in a row is just asking for trouble.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
India on full lockdown for 3 weeks. Should have done this a week ago, better late than never though.
Wasn't really necessary though, should have locked down only the cities with confirmed cases. Of course, in this case no ones going to complain about the over zealousness of the govt. Not that I think they won't find other reasons to criticize the government. Already chidambaran is saying that the financial package should've been declared in 4 hours. As if you can make such a decision in 4 hours.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Not to mention the kidney damage and heart inflammation, both key risk factors for this particular virus.

@Regulus Arcturus Black marathons are really not very good for you.
People grasp a hold of these outliers and extrapolate.

Simple matter of fact;

- If the entire planet started marathon training today, fewer people would die from Corona Virus.

Fitter people are healthier. Healthier people live longer. It’s that simple.

Some people cannot balance a training schedule, they’ll run 100 mile weeks in a calorie deficit and get sickly. That’s such a tiny fringe few that it’s stupid to talk about.

As a whole; almost all runners are healthier than non exercisers. Most Marathon runners are fitter and healthier than most runners.

This creep of acceptance of distance running not being a good idea probably correlates nicely with Obesity rates.

Edit : Shouldn’t need to say I obviously DONT mean everyone going for a run together. It’s an illustrative Point, not a literal one.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think you're a bit too soon for exit strategies. Wuhan doesn't start coming out of lockdown till April 8th. We're at least a few months away from even considering something of an exit strategy.
Yeah and our government is talking about people coming back to work and living as normal as early as Easter. That's just silly. If we have any sports/events/normal life by the end of this year I'd be shocked.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People grasp a hold of these outliers and extrapolate.

Simple matter of fact;

- If the entire planet started marathon training today, fewer people would die from Corona Virus.

Fitter people are healthier. Healthier people live longer. It’s that simple.

Some people cannot balance a training schedule, they’ll run 100 mile weeks in a calorie deficit and get sickly. That’s such a tiny fringe few that it’s stupid to talk about.

As a whole; almost all runners are healthier than non exercisers. Most Marathon runners are fitter and healthier than most runners.

This creep of acceptance of distance running not being a good idea probably correlates nicely with Obesity rates.

Edit : Shouldn’t need to say I obviously DONT mean everyone going for a run together. It’s an illustrative Point, not a literal one.
I couldn't have said it better. A friend of mine told me to stop doing these home workouts because I would tire and hurt my immune system. Everyone thinks he's a scientist and a doctor these days. It's fecking doing my head in

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
An 80-year-old woman is the first person in the UK to die after contracting coronavirus in hospital, our colleague, Matthew Weaver, reports.

Marita Edwards, a retired cleaner and keen golfer, went to Newport’s Royal Gwent hospital for a routine gallbladder operation on 28 February.

The otherwise fit 80-year-old then caught an infection in hospital that she and her family were initially told was pneumonia. Last Thursday, almost three weeks after arriving at the hospital, she tested positive for Covid-19 and died the following day.

“If she had not been in hospital she would be still be alive,” said her son, Stuart Loud. “Clearly there was a coronavirus infection in the hospital which claimed my mum’s life.”

Smores

Because there are some self employed people that earn more than that in a week, its need to be relative and accurate to truly support people.
The aim isn't to recompense it's to give people a basic lifeline ffs.

LordNinio

I think he's actually right to some extent. Some self employed people are going to be making hay because the sun is shining incredibly brightly right now.

You could allow people to apply on the caveat that if they bring in a certain amount between two dates they are liable to pay it back by a certain date but how do you police that? People will use all sorts of accounting wizardry to ensure their accounts are beneficial to them when the time comes to evaluate if they should pay it back or not.
What self employed people are 'making hay'? Most people are either in isolation, so aren't going to be employing anyone, or are worrying about money, so again aren't employing anyone.

All the self employed people I know, are bunkered down at home, wondering how they're going to keep paying the bills.

F-Red

What self employed people are 'making hay'? Most people are either in isolation, so aren't going to be employing anyone, or are worrying about money, so again aren't employing anyone.
Cleaning companies, absolutely smashing it at the minute.

Baxter

Just been told I’m back in the office on Friday, after finally being allowed to work from home today.

We apparently need a small number in to keep operations going, although there is absolutely zero that cannot be done remotely. Absolute madness. Can’t be in the same room as the workshop engineers who have to be in, but have to use the same kitchen and appliances. Expect you in to work but won’t even let you leave to grab a sandwich. Half way nonsense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My original point (perhaps hastily worded) is just that marathon runners aren't necessarily paragons of health that they appear to be paraded as, and prolonged, strenuous exercise of the sort can make people potentially more prone to contracting an illness like this instead of acting as a preventative measure.

Since everyone is locked inside, looks like nobody's clocking the miles for this to be relevant anyway, so I'll leave it at that.
One run a day allowed remember :)
But you are right, I have seen some whose running masks certain issues.

But I suppose it's always a shock when someone who has done some athletic feat is brought down by a virus, as they've laboured the point it's those of old age, or underlying conditions that are the most vulnerable.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just been told I’m back in the office on Friday, after finally being allowed to work from home today.

We apparently need a small number in to keep operations going, although there is absolutely zero that cannot be done remotely. Absolute madness. Can’t be in the same room as the workshop engineers who have to be in, but have to use the same kitchen and appliances. Expect you in to work but won’t even let you leave to grab a sandwich. Half way nonsense.
The government should have a website where you can submit the names of companies that fanny around their employees like this. The guideline explicitly says if you can work from home then that is what you will do.

LordNinio

Cleaning companies, absolutely smashing it at the minute.
A cleaning company isn't a self employed person. It's a company.

But assuming you mean a self employed cleaner, then possibly. Although most places are in lock down now. The only places employing cleaners will be offices and public spaces, neither of which will be using self employed folk.

But if a couple of cleaning ladies are doing OK out of this, is it really worth even considering, given the other 4.99m self employed people who will be struggling.

Baxter

The government should have a website where you can submit the names of companies that fanny around their employees like this. The guideline explicitly says if you can work from home then that is what you will do.
I could almost understand it if we were busy. But work has dried up and it’s a total waste of time. We’re struggling with the oil price too, so I’m worried that speaking up or refusing to go in with result in my name being marked in case of any redundancies. Shit situation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
An 80-year-old woman is the first person in the UK to die after contracting coronavirus in hospital, our colleague, Matthew Weaver, reports.

Marita Edwards, a retired cleaner and keen golfer, went to Newport’s Royal Gwent hospital for a routine gallbladder operation on 28 February.

The otherwise fit 80-year-old then caught an infection in hospital that she and her family were initially told was pneumonia. Last Thursday, almost three weeks after arriving at the hospital, she tested positive for Covid-19 and died the following day.

“If she had not been in hospital she would be still be alive,” said her son, Stuart Loud. “Clearly there was a coronavirus infection in the hospital which claimed my mum’s life.”
Dreadful stuff.
My mum's had such an operation, so that scenario leaps out as being of horrible bad timing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

All the self employed people I know, are bunkered down at home, wondering how they're going to keep paying the bills.
Plenty of IT support companies are doing well at the moment and a lot of delivery drivers are registered as self employed, freelance journalists will have a lot on covering the virus. Lots of lawyers are self employed and will have plenty of new work around rent, mortgages and wills. That's just off the top of my head. The fact is that there will be a small minority of self employed who have found a way to benefit from this scenario. That's the nature of business.

I'm not writing off the idea that the vast majority are struggling right now and I fully support their cause, I was just playing devils advocate to see if the situation is more complicated than it seems which I reckon it probably is, whether it's something close to the reasons I have suggested, I have no idea. Just trying to look for another point of view.