SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

People grasp a hold of these outliers and extrapolate.

Simple matter of fact;

- If the entire planet started marathon training today, fewer people would die from Corona Virus.

Fitter people are healthier. Healthier people live longer. It’s that simple.

Some people cannot balance a training schedule, they’ll run 100 mile weeks in a calorie deficit and get sickly. That’s such a tiny fringe few that it’s stupid to talk about.

As a whole; almost all runners are healthier than non exercisers. Most Marathon runners are fitter and healthier than most runners.

This creep of acceptance of distance running not being a good idea probably correlates nicely with Obesity rates.

Edit : Shouldn’t need to say I obviously DONT mean everyone going for a run together. It’s an illustrative Point, not a literal one.
You're both getting the message confused here. Training for a marathon is good for you. Actually running one is most definitely not.

Dan_F

Why?

If we can afford to give everyone a fair wage to stay at home for a few months, what possible reason do you have not to?
Because it has to be paid back eventually. Just because someone earns £2500 a month usually, it doesn’t mean that a fair wage is just giving that same amount.

What about the people who work for Sports Direct, who won’t be receiving the 80%. Are they not entitled to a fair wage for a few months?

LordNinio

Plenty of IT support companies are doing well at the moment and a lot of delivery drivers are registered as self employed, freelance journalists will have a lot on covering the virus. Lots of lawyers are self employed and will have plenty of new work around rent, mortgages and wills. That's just off the top of my head. The fact is that there will be a small minority of self employed who have found a way to benefit from this scenario. That's the nature of business.

I'm not writing off the idea that the vast majority are struggling right now and I fully support their cause, I was just playing devils advocate to see if the situation is more complicated than it seems which I reckon it probably is, whether it's something close to the reasons I have suggested, I have no idea. Just trying to look for another point of view.
Yes, I can see that a few will be taking advantage, or indeed just managing to get on with their work. But, as you say, it's a very small monority. I don't think the numbers are enough to complicate matters. People are struggling, and seriously need the reassurances that people in standard employment have been given.

Hopefully it will still come this evening.

Revaulx

The Regal Moon is a fantastic building for a pub!

The Up Steps Inn in Oldham has some rough cnuts in it though.
Regal Moon has a fantastic selection of beer and lovely, knowledgeable staff.

Up Steps is shite.

There’s a brilliant micro bar opened recently in the back corner of Tommyfield Market: Cob and Coal. I feel desperately sorry for them right now. I’ve taken a vow that when (if :nervous: ) they reopen I’m going to help them by becoming a regular customer.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You're both getting the message confused here. Training for a marathon is good for you. Actually running one is most definitely not.
It absolutely is if you’re trained to do so.

I’ve been fit enough in the past to wake up in the morning and run 20-30 miles on both a Saturday and Sunday.

YOU’RE getting the message confused. You’re talking about racing marathons. Training, having strict periodisation training periods, maintaining a racing weight that sees you compete and chase PB’s maintaining a knife edge balance of health and fitness.

Less than 0.1% of Marathon runners meet that criteria.

Running marathon distances, when trained to do so is not a problem. Not at all.

redshaw

UK Dates​
UK Deaths​
Italy Dates​
Italy Deaths​
Spain Dates​
Spain Deaths​
France Dates​
France Deaths​
March 8th​
3​
Feb 23rd​
3​
March 5th​
3​
March 2nd​
3​
March 9th​
5​
Feb 24th​
7​
March 6th​
8​
March 3rd​
4​
March 10th​
6​
Feb 25th​
11​
March 7th​
10​
March 4th​
4​
March 11th​
8​
Feb 26th​
12​
March 8th​
17​
March 5th​
7​
March 12th​
10​
Feb 27th​
17​
March 9th​
30​
March 6th​
9​
March 13th​
11​
Feb 28th​
21​
March 10th​
36​
March 7th​
16​
March 14th​
21​
Feb 29th​
29​
March 11th​
55​
March 8th​
19​
March 15th​
35​
March 1st​
41​
March 12th​
86​
March 9th​
30​
March 16th​
55​
March 2nd​
52​
March 13th​
133​
March 10th​
33​
March 17th​
71​
March 3rd​
79​
March 14th​
196​
March 11th​
48​
March 18th​
104​
March 4th​
107​
March 15th​
294​
March 12th​
61​
March 19th​
144​
March 5th​
148​
March 16th​
342​
March 13th​
79​
March 20th​
177​
March 6th​
197​
March 17th​
533​
March 14th​
91​
March 21st​
233​
March 7th​
233​
March 18th​
638​
March 15th​
127​
March 22nd​
281​
March 8th​
366​
March 19th​
833​
March 16th​
148​
March 23rd​
335​
March 9th​
463​
March 20th​
1,093​
March 17th​
175​
March 24th​
422​
March 10th​
631​
March 21st​
1,381​
March 18th​
244​
March 11th​
827​
March 22nd​
1,813​
March 19th​
372​
March 12th​
1,016​
March 23rd​
2,207​
March 20th​
450​
March 13th​
1,266​
March 24th​
2,696​
March 21st​
562​
March 14th​
1,441​
March 22nd​
674​
March 15th​
1,809​
March 23rd​
860​

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

I’ve been fit enough in the past to wake up in the morning and run 20-30 miles on both a Saturday and Sunday.

YOU’RE getting the message confused. You’re talking about racing marathons. Training, having strict periodisation training periods, maintaining a racing weight that sees you compete and chase PB’s maintaining a knife edge balance of health and fitness.

So running your first marathon wearing a banana costume doesn't count?

cyberman

These 3 Irish clowns praising our healthcare service that they have shortchanged for so long.

Ireland are lead by cliches

Fener1907

As a whole; almost all runners are healthier than non exercisers. Most Marathon runners are fitter and healthier than most runners.
I don't care about the active vs. sedentary lifestyle debate because that's dumb and was never initially spoken about or even implied, but what have you read about this? Genuinely curious if you have any good information because I'd be keen to see that. The article I posted earlier argues against levels of exercise that would invariably require anybody to run a certain amount of hours in a week, not just trained marathon runners. For example, one of the articles it cites says this:

Light and moderate joggers have lower mortality than sedentary nonjoggers, whereas strenuous joggers have a mortality rate not statistically different from that of the sedentary group.
Could easily be user error on this side and a study with serious limitations, but I've always believed the opposite to what you wrote and wouldn't mind knowing what information there is out there to support that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's not wrong. We are fooling ourselves about being so proactive over this.
When it comes to accurately assessing the correct timing and implementation of emergency public health measures, I think I'll trust the NPHET rather than the MMA fighter with a coke habit.

Lee565

A lot of people still dont care about the lockdown, i have neighbours that seem to have invited a load of friends round for a gathering in the garden today.

Down the road from me is a road filled with council houses and a lot of them are out today on their doorsteps chilling out together whilst their kids are playing all together on the large green that is outside their houses.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Because it has to be paid back eventually. Just because someone earns £2500 a month usually, it doesn’t mean that a fair wage is just giving that same amount.

What about the people who work for Sports Direct, who won’t be receiving the 80%. Are they not entitled to a fair wage for a few months?
Err yeah, that's why I said everyone.

And what do you mean by pay it back? Are you talking higher taxes, as that's a small price to pay.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I find some people’s obsession with telling people there is no shortage of toilet roll or anything fecking annoying.

There may be loads somewhere to people are struggling to find it, therefore there’s a shortage when it comes to availability.

Just people desperate to be right and have a point.

ChrisNelson

A lot of people still dont care about the lockdown, i have neighbours that seem to have invited a load of friends round for a gathering in the garden today.

Down the road from me is a road filled with council houses and a lot of them are out today on their doorsteps chilling out together whilst their kids are playing all together on the large green that is outside their houses.
Honestly talking to the UK and trying to help is like talking to a brick wall. People seem completely disinterested in helping the Government help them.

As the saying goes you can't help someone who won't help themselves. I actually despair sometimes, I want to scream at some people in the words of Blackadder, "who's using the family brain cell at the moment"?!?!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Call the police. It’s no time to be fannying around

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just seen this on facebook, a guy saying it's just a flu and now he's dead at 49.

I translate for the non Italian speakers. This guy wrote on his FB wall: "this virus has broken my dick (meaning he got tired of this bullshit), live your life normally people, this is just a regular flu". Then some other idiots wrote that they agreed with him and that people are really ignorant...(not them of course, the other people are ignorant...)

And this is the guy's obituary after he died because of covid19 at the age of 49. Just one month passed since he had posted on his FB wall that covid19 was just a regular flu. People this is NOT a regular flu! Not only elderly people dies. Everyone can die. Stay home. Stay safe. Protect the most vulnerable and don't be fecking selfish.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
UK Dates​
UK Deaths​
Italy Dates​
Italy Deaths​
Spain Dates​
Spain Deaths​
France Dates​
France Deaths​
March 8th​
3​
Feb 23rd​
3​
March 5th​
3​
March 2nd​
3​
March 9th​
5​
Feb 24th​
7​
March 6th​
8​
March 3rd​
4​
March 10th​
6​
Feb 25th​
11​
March 7th​
10​
March 4th​
4​
March 11th​
8​
Feb 26th​
12​
March 8th​
17​
March 5th​
7​
March 12th​
10​
Feb 27th​
17​
March 9th​
30​
March 6th​
9​
March 13th​
11​
Feb 28th​
21​
March 10th​
36​
March 7th​
16​
March 14th​
21​
Feb 29th​
29​
March 11th​
55​
March 8th​
19​
March 15th​
35​
March 1st​
41​
March 12th​
86​
March 9th​
30​
March 16th​
55​
March 2nd​
52​
March 13th​
133​
March 10th​
33​
March 17th​
71​
March 3rd​
79​
March 14th​
196​
March 11th​
48​
March 18th​
104​
March 4th​
107​
March 15th​
294​
March 12th​
61​
March 19th​
144​
March 5th​
148​
March 16th​
342​
March 13th​
79​
March 20th​
177​
March 6th​
197​
March 17th​
533​
March 14th​
91​
March 21st​
233​
March 7th​
233​
March 18th​
638​
March 15th​
127​
March 22nd​
281​
March 8th​
366​
March 19th​
833​
March 16th​
148​
March 23rd​
335​
March 9th​
463​
March 20th​
1,093​
March 17th​
175​
March 24th​
422​
March 10th​
631​
March 21st​
1,381​
March 18th​
244​
March 11th​
827​
March 22nd​
1,813​
March 19th​
372​
March 12th​
1,016​
March 23rd​
2,207​
March 20th​
450​
March 13th​
1,266​
March 24th​
2,696​
March 21st​
562​
March 14th​
1,441​
March 22nd​
674​
March 15th​
1,809​
March 23rd​
860​

I know this has probably been asked, but why has Spain's numbers climbed so quickly?

Drawfull

I really can't get my head around large swathes of the UK population. In Spain, we live outside and yet here compliance with our lockdown is really good for the most part. The culture here is outdoor, the fecking opposite of UK. Yet we do as we're told.

I feel for the majority of you lot there that are doing the right thing, only for the measures in place to be less effective than they could be because of a minority of wankers spoil it for everyone else.

OK. Everybody thinks what they like to do is the best thing to do, but there is literally tonnes of scientific literature out there that underlines how unhealthy running a marathon is.

Heart damage
Artery damage
Kidney impairment
Joint issues
Weakened immune systems
Hormone imbalances

You might like to do it but it is still not good for you.

Drawfull

I know this has probably been asked, but why has Spain's numbers climbed so quickly?
Whilst the nationwide spread in Spain is greater with regard to area of the country the bast majoirty of cases are pretty localised even today. Which means hospitals in specific localities are being overwhelmed leading to a (hopefully) inflated death toll. As I write this I am not comparing figures but deaths/infected is about on par with Italy and China. We can only hope that as the effects of the lockdown kick in, the numbers will trend downwards - at least percentage wise.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't care about the active vs. sedentary lifestyle debate because that's dumb and was never initially spoken about or even implied, but what have you read about this? Genuinely curious if you have any good information because I'd be keen to see that. The article I posted earlier argues against levels of exercise that would invariably require anybody to run a certain amount of hours in a week, not just trained marathon runners. For example, one of the articles it cites says this:

Could easily be user error on this side and a study with serious limitations, but I've always believed the opposite to what you wrote and wouldn't mind knowing what information there is out there to support that.
Your quotes article (the first) is not saying what you think it is.

Vigorous exercise is a key pivot point there.

People training (properly) for a Marathon, won’t be doing 60 minutes of vigorous running. Let alone the 4 hours a week that the article suggests is the upper ceiling.

My evidence base is over a decade of being an active running coach (at different levels of volume in that time. I haven’t coached anyone in forever) An age group competitive runner for 2 decades. Someone that’s ran, and ran with people who, ran for years in the spin at the 60-150mpw level. I was a UK Athletics Coach (low level but still ran sessions at Lea).

I can’t adjudicate for anyone running at their max heart rate on every run. They shouldn’t be doing that.

Anyone running every single day of their life, in their aerobic zone, could effectively run a marathon a day and be just fine. So anyone short of that will also be just fine.

Your Aerobic system has no theoretical upper limit (Age obviously impacts in the long term). It will only ever improve when put under manageable stress. Literally all of the scientific evidence is on that side of the argument. It’s not the odd article here and there.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I really can't get my head around large swathes of the UK population. In Spain, we live outside and yet here compliance with our lockdown is really good for the most part. The culture here is outdoor, the fecking opposite of UK. Yet we do as we're told.

I feel for the majority of you lot there that are doing the right thing, only for the measures in place to be less effective than they could be because of a minority of wankers spoil it for everyone else.
Listen to that pig ignorant boomer phone call on the other page. Pretty much sums up the attitude of these people. "I'm not worried so you shouldn't be." It's a shame it doesn't just directly target people with that attitude because clearly they have nothing left to offer to society.

saivet

It feels like the government still isn't being strong enough on businesses remaining open, thus putting workers in a difficult situation.