SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thanks, I just wish there's no "second wave" over there. That would be brutal.

This table from the world meters website is pretty interesting. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are but what we see here is that the number of deaths in the US are far far lower than what we're seeing in Italy. Does this really mean that a whole lot of people are recovering from the said infection? Or is there something that the US is doing differently than Italy?
Italy's healthcare system has been overrun for like 2 weeks now to the point of not being able to properly treat people, elderly population, etc. USA is early in the curve and have just started testing properly basically, they havent reached the point of being overrun yet or the virus being wide spread enough. They are also turning a lot of probable cases away (in certain areas) from testing just telling them to stay home because they don't want to waste the kits, so the numbers. But then you also have some areas that test everyone.

Dante

Average bang
I've received Government warning texts from three different carriers on my phones/tablets today.

3 Mobile in the morning, EE in the afternoon and Plusnet a few minutes agi.

They're really putting the message out there.

This table from the world meters website is pretty interesting. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are but what we see here is that the number of deaths in the US are far far lower than what we're seeing in Italy. Does this really mean that a whole lot of people are recovering from the said infection? Or is there something that the US is doing differently than Italy?
They're just behind that's all.

The people who died today caught the virus 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago in the US there were less than 1,000 known cases, in Italy there were over 10,000.

2 weeks on from Italy passing 1,000 cases they had 189 new deaths.

spiriticon

USA reporting more new cases than anybody... And trump saying he wants to get people back to work...
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
It's gonna be a horrer show if he gets his way isn't it
As a scientist and being thoroughly objective, I am actually really intrigued to see what happens if a country just doesn't give a feck about this virus and opens up everything.

I just don't want the UK to be the one that tests this theory.

mu4c_20le

Has the virus been completely contained in China? I read somewhere that the lockdown is getting (or has been) removed. Does it mean that if people hunker down for two months, the virus just “goes away”?
It will more than likely come back when they open up things.

Unless we literally have a globalized response to this, which is next to impossible.
Apparently getting removed on Apr 8. According to this article it's been two months since they've been cut off from the outside world, surely that's enough for people's immune systems to kill off the virus? Either they won, or they died fighting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/coronavirus-wuhan-lockdown-lifted-intl-hnk/index.html

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I've received Government warning texts from three different carriers on my phones/tablets today.

3 Mobile in the morning, EE in the afternoon and Plusnet a few minutes agi.

They're really putting the message out there.
It'd be great if they had a message to put out.

C'est Moi Cantona

Is there any truth in this - 'Scientific modelling which estimates 1,000 cases for every death means the UK currently has about 300,000 people with coronavirus.' And 'Rate of infection meant one million people in the UK will have coronavirus by the end of next week.'

Taken it from Yahoo news

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Has the virus been completely contained in China? I read somewhere that the lockdown is getting (or has been) removed. Does it mean that if people hunker down for two months, the virus just “goes away”?
They’re saying that all new cases are coming from people entering the country and they have it contained within. All people entering are screened and tested and have mandatory quarantine for 14 days. Those who pass are given a green code linked to their id. Green codes will be required to enter any buildings. Thus the idea is the cities will open back up with only people who have been cleared. We’ll see over the coming weeks how it plays out.

Dan_F

Err yeah, that's why I said everyone.

And what do you mean by pay it back? Are you talking higher taxes, as that's a small price to pay.
I don’t see why a self employed person earning over £45k a year should need to take £2900 a month. It should be capped far lower. What are they going to do, pay their mortgage, bills, food and put the rest in their bank account for a summer holiday? Not to mention the self employed who earn more than that.

I’m not talking about the self employed who are living month to month. There’s also a lot of very well off self employed people, who simply don’t need that big of a hand out, especially when lots of people aren’t going to be getting anywhere near that (from the sectors I mentioned previously).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How are the old people in America finding the "let them die and get on with it" rhetoric from Trump? That's his base.

RedDevil@84

Trump wants country to open by Easter.
It will be too un-Christian to dampen the Easter spirit.

Suedesi

Running marathons is one of the last things somebody should do if they want to be considered healthy. Fit, sure. Healthy, no.

It's silly how that's used to imply somebody is inherently healthy, not to mention how it neglects every other variable in their life that an observer can't possibly account for.
He's got asthma

Classical Mechanic

My mate, who is a domestic sparky, was asked to come in because the government hadn’t said otherwise. Thankfully his boss understood when he explained his girlfriend has breathing difficulties sometimes and he can’t risk it.

As if domestic sparky work is important right now. It’s like some people can’t figure anything out without being told directly. I realise in some cases it’s greed (big construction) or a need to earn still, but that’s the second case today that someone I know can’t make the correct decision that doesn’t fall in to those categories. In recent years it’s become so apparent how dumb this country is.
Domestic electricians and plumbers are absolutely key workers 110%. Households can’t be left with unsafe electrics or unsanitary conditions. At a lower level, electric and functioning plumbing are needed for a family to be reasonably expected to survive in the modern age.

The problem around construction policy currently is that there are tens of thousands of workers using the tube in London everyday. They’re allowing suppliers to stay open so you’ll have jobbing builders working in people‘s houses as an inevitable by-product because they need to work and plenty of householders don’t give a feck.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He's growing on me.

But then they should outline what the economic strategy is, instead of using the health strategy as an excuse for kicking wider considerations down the road.
this was from a state senator

not sure what's going on

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

UK Dates​
UK Deaths​
Italy Dates​
Italy Deaths​
Spain Dates​
Spain Deaths​
France Dates​
France Deaths​
America Dates​
America Deaths​
March 8th​
3​
Feb 23rd​
3​
March 5th​
3​
March 2nd​
3​
March 1st​
1​
March 9th​
5​
Feb 24th​
7​
March 6th​
8​
March 3rd​
4​
March 2nd​
6​
March 10th​
6​
Feb 25th​
11​
March 7th​
10​
March 4th​
4​
March 3rd​
9​
March 11th​
8​
Feb 26th​
12​
March 8th​
17​
March 5th​
7​
March 4th​
11​
March 12th​
10​
Feb 27th​
17​
March 9th​
30​
March 6th​
9​
March 5th​
12​
March 13th​
11​
Feb 28th​
21​
March 10th​
36​
March 7th​
16​
March 6th​
15​
March 14th​
21​
Feb 29th​
29​
March 11th​
55​
March 8th​
19​
March 7th​
19​
March 15th​
35​
March 1st​
41​
March 12th​
86​
March 9th​
30​
March 8th​
22​
March 16th​
55​
March 2nd​
52​
March 13th​
133​
March 10th​
33​
March 9th​
26​
March 17th​
71​
March 3rd​
79​
March 14th​
196​
March 11th​
48​
March 10th​
30​
March 18th​
104​
March 4th​
107​
March 15th​
294​
March 12th​
61​
March 11th​
38​
March 19th​
144​
March 5th​
148​
March 16th​
342​
March 13th​
79​
March 12th​
41​
March 20th​
177​
March 6th​
197​
March 17th​
533​
March 14th​
91​
March 13th​
49​
March 21st​
233​
March 7th​
233​
March 18th​
638​
March 15th​
127​
March 14th​
57​
March 22nd​
281​
March 8th​
366​
March 19th​
833​
March 16th​
148​
March 15th​
68​
March 23rd​
335​
March 9th​
463​
March 20th​
1,093​
March 17th​
175​
March 16th​
86​
March 24th​
422​
March 10th​
631​
March 21st​
1,381​
March 18th​
244​
March 17th​
109​
March 11th​
827​
March 22nd​
1,813​
March 19th​
372​
March 18th​
150​
March 12th​
1,016​
March 23rd​
2,207​
March 20th​
450​
March 19th​
207​
March 13th​
1,266​
March 24th​
2,696​
March 21st​
562​
March 20th​
256​
March 14th​
1,441​
March 22nd​
674​
March 21st​
302​
March 15th​
1,809​
March 23rd​
860​
March 22nd​
413​
March 16th​
2,158​
March 24th​
?​
March 23rd​
553​
March 17th​
2,503​
March 24th​

Cheers for updating this, I needed a break from doing it because it's not exactly enjoyable. That's a bad rise for the UK and Italy. I've added America into the table given someone asked for it, I didn't add India though given they only have had 10 deaths so far. Feel free to keep updating it, probably best if more than 1 person does it to keep data updated at least.

spiriticon

Just a caveat for everyone using Worldometer figures:

While they are generally accurate, some figures (like the number of critical patients) are wildly off. This is because not every country reports critical patient numbers consistently in the official report, so they just total numbers from various news sources and that might be quite a bit off.

Rajma

Virus in the UK is pretty widespread imo, majority of confirmed cases in Lithuania have been brought from people coming from the UK.

Revan

Assumptionman
As a scientist and being thoroughly objective, I am actually really intrigued to see what happens if a country just doesn't give a feck about this virus and opens up everything.

Very likely a mass panic when the number of dead people reaches thousands per day. Then people will actually stay home even without government directives, businesses would go bankrupt and so on. That is why Trump's (and Boris' former) plan is insane. Even if you accept culling 1-2% of the population to deal with it, it will just have no chance of happening in reality. In fact, I think that is the worst scenario for both the economy and the number of deaths.

LordNinio

I don’t see why a self employed person earning over £45k a year should need to take £2900 a month. It should be capped far lower. What are they going to do, pay their mortgage, bills, food and put the rest in their bank account for a summer holiday? Not to mention the self employed who earn more than that.

I’m not talking about the self employed who are living month to month. There’s also a lot of very well off self employed people, who simply don’t need that big of a hand out, especially when lots of people aren’t going to be getting anywhere near that (from the sectors I mentioned previously).
You could say the same about people employed by a company etc too though

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Are the Gov. keeping track of all of those who recover? Presumably these folks can be put to work in essential areas if fit and able since they now have immunity.
I think chief health officer said it is very unlikely but they're not 100% sure yet.

Imagine being the poor sod who gets it, recovers then goes out to find out it IS possible to catch it twice.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
For a public health body it is the single most important number.
And any public health body would recognise the number of new cases is limited by the amount of testing being done and not by actual new cases. We all know there is an order of magnitude greater than that with COVID-19. The “drop” in cases is such a small number to be negligible too, it has such a small degree of confidence. Just looking at these headline figures in isolation does not tell you anything relevant.

If someone can present a fuller, more insightful case for good news. I’d love to read it. The Italians are publishing a fair bit of data.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Domestic electricians and plumbers are absolutely key workers 110%. Households can’t be left with unsafe electrics or unsanitary conditions. At a lower level, electric and functioning plumbing are needed for a family to be reasonably expected to survive in the modern age.

The problem around construction policy currently is that there are tens of thousands of workers using the tube in London everyday. They’re allowing suppliers to stay open so you’ll have jobbing builders working in people‘s houses as an inevitable by-product because they need to work and plenty of householders don’t give a feck.
He mostly installs lighting. He’s said himself it’s totally not necessary. Some will be, sure, but most work isn’t urgent.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Is there any truth in this - 'Scientific modelling which estimates 1,000 cases for every death means the UK currently has about 300,000 people with coronavirus.' And 'Rate of infection meant one million people in the UK will have coronavirus by the end of next week.'

Taken it from Yahoo news
Going by the headline it sounds a bit more like arithmetic than actual modelling. That's not to say it's wrong though.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Presumably the heard immunity people talk about... After the health service is overrun... Though I guess in American
that simply means demand outstrips supply for a few months and the price to be on a ventilator goes through the roof?

Neo_Mufc

The WWE used to do " Please dont try this at home " videos'. Whilst having a serious - comedic nature to them I thought it would be great if they could do one for the coronavirus and send it to children/adults etc as it could save lives.

Other than common sense, what is stopping you going to someone's home if they invite you?
I'm in W.London. I went for a 15 minute walk and whilst it's extremely quite apart from the people going corner shop there was one person who went to anothers and did not obey the distancing at all.

Glad I refuse to set foot in their pubs. What a terrible man.
There should be a list of companies to boycott after this. Makes me sick.

Complete lockdown in India for 3 weeks from midnight
I've seen couple videos floating in Punjab, police are stopping cars/people walking on streets and giving them a few smacks with the wooden sticks. They're also filming them and spreading them (assume to raise awareness and scare the public)

Fener1907

Could be a load of bollock(ts a paywall)l but for those that are interested

edit

This is fascinating. I've thought this all along and also that it was in Turkey and other places much sooner than cases are now showing. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut, it's hard to believe otherwise considering it supposedly started in China as early as November, is highly contagious, widespread testing didn't start in Europe until February / March, and no restrictions of any sort were in place to stop it in the meantime.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting that people are saying there's gatherings everywhere still as I went to shop for self isolated family then went for my daily walk and the closest I saw to a mass gathering was four people in a skatepark.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Someone in my lab went home to Seattle and said 5 of her friends have it. They seem fine for now.

Was this posted?
Man Fatally Poisons Himself While Self-Medicating for Coronavirus, Doctor Says
An Arizona man and his wife ingested a fish tank cleaning additive made with the same active ingredient as chloroquine phosphate, which President Trump has referred to as a “game changer.”
The woman told NBC News on Monday that she had heard Mr. Trump make repeated mentions of chloroquine during recent White House briefings on the coronavirus and that she used chloroquine phosphate to treat her koi fish.
“I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, ‘Hey, isn’t that the stuff they’re talking about on TV,’ ” said the woman, who was not named by NBC.

And this amazing response

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

So basically, rather than get over it and just accept people need to be paid, you want everyone to suffer whilst they figure out who gets what? I mean, you read just like so many people who don't understand that we aren't always self employed to fiddle taxes or get some big wage out of it, the vast majority of us do live month to month as you say.

Also, again, what do you mean by pay it back?

You could say the same about people employed by a company etc too though
A lot of people clearly don't get how self employed works and think it's just some tax avoidance scheme.

mu4c_20le

Saw some Chinese students in the park hugging to pose for a photo. Considered making a gesture towards the idiots but didn't want to seem racist.

Such is life.
Maybe they were already staying together in one household?