SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't really think anyone has any idea what they are doing right now, to be fair.
In the UK, local authorities tend to run out of grit for the roads...every single year, as if Winter is a shocking and new development. As with this particular crisis, the answer seems to be: they're reluctant to spend money.

NinjaFletch

We've been through far, far worse than this. It's going to a difficult year and there is still a long way to go, but we will come out of it. In 10 years we will look back and remember this time but we won't still be rebuilding from it.
We are still dealing with the repercussions of the 2008 financial crisis. Difficult to see how we're going to have recovered from a bigger recession in less time.

What you are suggesting would have changed nothing for Europe and the US, I don't really get why people keep making that point when it's incredibly weak. Banning flights from China alone would have made next to no difference, you would need to ban flights from everywhere because flights from China go everywhere and they also use the same airports that other destination will use. The only thing that could have prevented it was for China to close it's own borders and let no one leave.
Yep. Italy banned all China flights but that didn't stop it. They think it came via Germany and probably arrived whilst we still thought it was little more than a season flu that couldn't be passed between humans.

stepic

All this could have been avoided if flights from China were banned when the virus started spreading there but Europe & US were too concerned about economic impact. It wouldn't have been 10% of what it will be now, and you can be sure China will not be allowing any Americans or Europeans without quarantine for a long while.
easy to say in retrospect. there's no way the entirety of Europe and the US was going to immediately ban all flights from China, when, at the time, no one had any idea of what was to come.

We are still dealing with the repercussions of the 2008 financial crisis. Difficult to see how we're going to have recovered from a bigger recession in less time.
I was thinking more along the lines of the two world wars.

Every historical event will have influence on future life but it's a stretch to say we are still rebuilding from 2008, the stock markets, employment figures, and pretty much all economic indicators have been strong for years now.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@adexkola someone finally carried the story, it' true

Despite a $6 billion budget gap and new revenue losses posed by New York’s coronavirus outbreak, Gov. Andrew Cuomo is threatening to forgo more than $6 billion in federal aid he says would force him to adjust his Medicaid redesign strategy.

The governor this week reiterated that he will not accept the $6.7 billion in enhanced federal Medicaid matching rate (FMAP) funds approved earlier this month because it would prevent him from modifying the state’s Medicaid program as proposed in his executive budget.
https://www.politico.com/states/new...ral-aid-in-favor-of-medicaid-redesign-1269446

fergieisold

Yes. According to the % you came up with!

(near enough, anyway)
I think I’ve confused you. The figure I saw when estimating the percentage of 30s that required hospital treatment after contracting the virus was 3.2%. Of that 3.2% 5% required intubation.

I can’t for the life of me find this study now. I think this figures though sound about right though. If 50% of those tubed die we arrive at a CFR of 0.08% for that age group.

all in all it makes this virus quite a bit more deadly for the young than flu. But again many of the deaths will be in vulnerable groups.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
India has done only about 35000 tests. If the lockdown isn't working, we're truly fecked.
Yes I am really concerned about your country. I saw a video of a doctor from India yesterday. According to him the hope was in the temperatures, that maybe the Virus would not thrive as much in the heat.
Watching all the long columns of emigrant workers walking home to their villages and hometowns, seems like a recipe for disaster :( I hope I am wrong. But you are so many people, living so crowded.. And can not possibly get enough ventilators etc.. :/

Actually I think Europe will be one of the continents less damaged by this when this all is over. Africa, mid-east, India, the poorer crowded nations of different parts of asia and South America will propably fare less well. China will be interesting, as to how they will keep the infections from flaring up again until the vaccine comes along.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
China will be interesting, as to how they will keep the infections from flaring up again until the vaccine comes along.
I'm not sure what it's like now but historically China has always strictly limited the movement of people within its own borders. If they still maintain some level of control over that it may limit the spread of the disease within the country.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
All this could have been avoided if flights from China were banned when the virus started spreading there but Europe & US were too concerned about economic impact. It wouldn't have been 10% of what it will be now, and you can be sure China will not be allowing any Americans or Europeans without quarantine for a long while.
I personally find statements with such hindsight always problematic. Even if they would have banned flights, what about travel by land or sea? What about the huge amounts of goods that arrived daily in the European ports until just recently? Anyone who thinks that cutting off China from the entire rest of the world and all of its lasting (especially economic) consequenses before the virus arrived in Europe of the US would not have been met with immense outrage by the people and corperations is kidding themselves. There are still people who are too stupid to follow simple guide lines with Corvid killing thousands of people on the European mainland. Measurements as drastic as this without the understanding of the gravity of the situation in the population have little to no chance to succeed.

There have undoubtly been costly mistakes by governments around the globe. Johnson and Co. sitting on their thumbs while the virus was already running rampant in Italy and Spain or the Buffon in the White House first massively downplaying the danger and then flip flopping between war rhetoric and stumbling over his own words every sentence being two prime examples, but to think that the whole thing could have been largely prevented is just unrealistic.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
There have undoubtly been costly mistakes by governments around the globe. Johnson and Co. sitting on their thumbs while the virus was already running rampant in Italy and Spain or the Buffon in the White House first massively downplaying the danger and then flip flopping between war rhetoric and stumbling over his own words every sentence being two prime examples, but to think that the whole thing could have been largely prevented is just unrealistic.

Vitro

What you are suggesting would have changed nothing for Europe and the US, I don't really get why people keep making that point when it's incredibly weak. Banning flights from China alone would have made next to no difference, you would need to ban flights from everywhere because flights/ships from China go everywhere and they also use the same airports that other destinations will use. The only thing that could have prevented it was for China to close it's own borders and let no one leave.
Even then it’s doubtful it would have worked considering so many infections are asymptomatic and it’s therefore likely there were thousands of carriers around the world before the virus was identified.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I personally find statements with such hindsight always problematic. Even if they would have banned flights, what about travel by land or sea? What about the huge amounts of goods that arrived daily in the European ports until just recently? Anyone who thinks that cutting off China from the entire rest of the world and all of its lasting (especially economic) consequenses before the virus arrived in Europe of the US would not have been met with immense outrage by the people and corperations is kidding themselves. There are still people who are too stupid to follow simple guide lines with Corvid killing thousands of people on the European mainland. Measurements as drastic as this without the understanding of the gravity of the situation in the population have little to no chance to succeed.

That is probably right. Without knowing current outcome which is bound to get much worse it would have been hard to justify it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Even then it’s doubtful it would have worked considering so many infections are asymptomatic and it’s therefore likely there were thousands of carriers around the world before the virus was identified.
That's true to some extent but if I'm not mistaken asymptomatic carriers are far less contagious. And the point was more about China's borders being the only borders actually relevant but you are correct nonetheless, even in the case of China from mid December it was already way too late.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I'm not sure what it's like now but historically China has always strictly limited the movement of people within its own borders. If they still maintain some level of control over that it may limit the spread of the disease within the country.
Yes you are propably correct. They do have this Grid system and the reporting system (although it did not work in Wuhan due to local govt being afraid of Beijing). But all of this relies on the same error from Wuhan not being repeated. I guess Beijing have told the local governments what will happen to them if they fail to report though :houllier:

Smores

The likes of James O'Brien show are a tough tough listen right now. Money isn't really anything in the grand scheme of things but i hope there's a big bonus coming our medics way after this.

Some of the front line stories shared on it of deaths caused (or potentially caused) due to delays in how to treat suspected patients and PPE confusion. Awfully harrowing.

Lombardy just posted the lowest number of new cases since 13th March. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

8300 doctors infected and 63 dead, although for anybody reading this and working in hospitals, an awful lot of these cases/deaths seem to be family GPs, at least the ones that get reported.

Dante

Average bang
https://opros.co.uk/

It's quite stark how the three big cheek-kissing countries in Europe (Italy, France and Spain) are suffering so badly.

The UK numbers are still awful, but seem to be slowing down. I don't want to get my hope up too much. There's a bit of a levelling off in the last few days, but the same thing happened about a week ago.

Pagh Wraith

The president of the German Medical Association expects first schools to reopen in May while those in Corona hotspots will have to remain closed much longer. More interstingly, he claims that by Easter, Germany will have enough capacity to treat 5.6 million infected patients.

Edit: Seems he now longer holds that position. He is the chairman of the World Medical Association now.

Last edited:

Sarni

The president of the German Medical Association expects first schools to reopen in May while those in Corona hotspots will have to remain closed much longer. More interstingly, he claims that by Easter, Germany will have enough capacity to treat 5.6 million infected patients.

Edit: Seems he now longer holds that position. He is the chairman of the World Medical Association now.
Germans seem quite good at coronavirus.

Dante

Average bang

He got promoted in the 5 minutes between your edits? Wow, he must be good.

Pagh Wraith

Germans seem quite good at coronavirus.
That remains to be seen. But I saw a statistic today that gives me some cause for optimism. The current average occupancy rate of ICU beds in the German states is at 8% with 16% the highest individual number. And the number of ICUs is supposed to double in the next few weeks. I guess that is actually more relevant than cases and deaths going forward.

He got promoted in the 5 minutes between your edits? Wow, he must be good.
Hehe.

He is quite a prominent figure so I just went with the title he has had for years.

Sarni

We've been through far, far worse than this. It's going to a difficult year and there is still a long way to go, but we will come out of it. In 10 years we will look back and remember this time but we won't still be rebuilding from it.
Not in recent times, we haven't. We're possibly looking at millions of people not working for what could easily become 7-8 months in a row. Many industries will completely collapse.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
This should have been done. There should have been zero outbound flights from China to any country until the end of March. Everything would be ok now if that had happened.

Sarni

That remains to be seen. But I saw a statistic today that gives me some cause for optimism. The current average occupancy rate of ICU beds in the German states is at 8% with 16% the highest individual number. And the number of ICUs is supposed to double in the next few weeks. I guess that is actually more relevant than cases and deaths going forward.

Hehe.

He is quite a prominent figure so I just went with the title he has had for years.
8%? Meaning 8% of patients need ICU, or 8% of ICU beds are occupied?

Sarni

This should have been done. There should have been zero outbound flights from China to any country until the end of March. Everything would be ok now if that had happened.
Or we could have been quarantining anyone who had been to China in the last 3 months for mandatory two weeks. But as pointed out, it would have been hard to implement without knowing consequences. I don't think anyone expected it to be this bad.

Smores

That's astonishing. Most countries will be well over 50% even without coronavirus, I'd imagine.
Germany has a lot of ICU beds, about 5 times as many on a per capita basis than the UK.

Pagh Wraith

That's astonishing. Most countries will be well over 50% even without coronavirus, I'd imagine.
Wait. I think that might be Covid-19 related cases only. The source I'm basing this one is worded confusingly. I'll try to find the raw numbers.

Smores

Raab is just terrible isn't he? These briefings are turning into an assessment centre for the cabinet ministers and he's coming across by far the worst.