SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Is the UK government not reporting recoveries or is it just stuck on 135? Seems like nobody has recovered (that officially tested positive) in ages.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
That is probably right. Without knowing current outcome which is bound to get much worse it would have been hard to justify it.
If they’d stopped it by hammering the economy they'd likely have been torn to pieces politically for overreacting. People rarely get any credit for stopping crisis before they begin, as Y2K clearly exhibited.

TheReligion

Abusive
Listening to the daily UK briefing and some of the ridiculous questions from the media. I've noted a number of them are having a dig at the police for enforcing the lockdown. Absolutely ridiculous and I'm sorry to say only in the UK. What do people want?!

Dante

Average bang
Listening to the daily UK briefing and some of the ridiculous questions from the media. I've noted a number of them are having a dig at the police for enforcing the lockdown. Absolutely ridiculous and I'm sorry to say only in the UK. What do people want?!
The opposite of what's happening, regardless of what that may be.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Questions from the media have been consistently shite over the last few weeks.

Green_Red

You are right. I am a bit obsessed with it since January, so much numbers and analisis
Yea, the funny thing for me is that I did a data analytics course with Johns Hopkins last year... so I think the value of that might be going up given that Johns Hopkins is now widely known as the data analysis model to go to for corona virus.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is the UK government not reporting recoveries or is it just stuck on 135? Seems like nobody has recovered (that officially tested positive) in ages.
I'm hoping it's just that they aren't willing to classify people as recovered without retests. The cruise ship passengers in Japan had to give three successive negative tests. With tests in shortage, I doubt we're using tests that way right now. When a proven antibody test is ready, presumably that will get easier.

Maybe we'll start seeing a "admissions to hospital" and "discharged from hospital" stat soon, as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think I’ve confused you. The figure I saw when estimating the percentage of 30s that required hospital treatment after contracting the virus was 3.2%. Of that 3.2% 5% required intubation.

I can’t for the life of me find this study now. I think this figures though sound about right though. If 50% of those tubed die we arrive at a CFR of 0.08% for that age group.

all in all it makes this virus quite a bit more deadly for the young than flu. But again many of the deaths will be in vulnerable groups.
It’s you that’s confused. Google “intubation”. It’s not the same thing as needing to be admitted to hospital for oxygen.

stepic

i know, and i don't think there was a single one based on the thing actually being presented today - bringing Brits home.

NYAS

That question was absurd and just gives the government more excuses to be cowards in the implementation of this “lockdown”.

I’d hate to think what Brits would do if they were going through this in my country (Kuwait). Anyone found stepping out their door past 5 PM either gets a £35,000 fine or 3 years in jail.

TheReligion

Abusive
That question was absurd and just gives the government more excuses to be cowards in the implementation of this “lockdown”.

I’d hate to think what Brits would do if they were going through this in my country (Kuwait). Anyone found stepping out their door past 5 PM either gets a £35,000 fine or 3 years in jail.
Apparently the UK has become a police state and officers are policing this over zealously.. so essentially doing what they have been asked to do whilst continuing to deal with everything else in addition.

If ever there was a time for firm enforcement it's now and that's all because the average middle class person seems to feel the rules don't apply to them.

Fingeredmouse

That seems entirely reasonable.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Just watching the news. Is it true French figures are vastly inaccurate and that many in care homes have not been added to the total deaths? Unbelievable if so.
It's the same in the UK

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Raab’s opening monologue and abrupt end to the conference were fecking awkward, weren’t they? He answered most of the questions well though:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Thank God, it's all over. I was worried for a while there...

Why on Earth did he wait? Couldn't we have flown him to Wuhan or somewhere in the beginning of the outbreak?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently they release the number non-hospital deaths tomorrow? We may be in for a surprise.

fergieisold

It’s you that’s confused. Google “intubation”. It’s not the same thing as needing to be admitted to hospital for oxygen.
I'm a bit unsure as to why you seem so confused by simple numbers. I'll try a different approach.

100 people in their 30s test positive for COVID-19
3.2% or 3.2 people have serious enough symptoms to need medical treatment in hospital
of those 3.2 people that enter hospital 5% or 0.16 people require a ventilator
50% of the 0.16 or 0.08 people die.

How is this not clear? Can someone help me out here? :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm a bit unsure as to why you seem so confused by simple numbers. I'll try a different approach.

100 people in their 30s test positive for COVID-19
3.2% or 3.2 people have serious enough symptoms to need medical treatment in hospital
of those 3.2 people that enter hospital 5% or 0.16 people require a ventilator
50% of the 0.16 or 0.08 people die.

How is this not clear? Can someone help me out here? :lol:
Try reading the posts you’re responding to. I‘ve been talking about the % hospitalised from the beginning of this conversation.

Believe me, you do NOT want to be hospitalised right now. And it’s going to get a lot worse in the coming weeks.

NYAS

Human stupidity is a powerful thing. You need to confront it powerfully in return.

If someone can’t wait to get a bit of sun and gets jailed for 3 years; and that saves lives, then so be it.

People are supposed to listen to clear advice from the government. It isn’t that difficult.

I don’t expect people from individualistic cultures to really understand it. Someone posted about the “cheek-kissing” countries being the worst hit (Italy, Spain and France). We’re even bigger cheek-kissers in the Gulf and we haven’t been hit as hard comparatively.

Ultimately, in Europe and the States, the culture is “to hell with other people. As long as I can have my beer out in the sun. No copper can stop me doing that.”

Reap the rewards.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Or we could have been quarantining anyone who had been to China in the last 3 months for mandatory two weeks. But as pointed out, it would have been hard to implement without knowing consequences. I don't think anyone expected it to be this bad.
But that simulation done just before Christmas showed exactly how it would spread so we did know and would expect it to be this bad. So we should done just that.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
South Africa's president, who I respect completely, just talked to the nation for 30 minutes. He used plenty of nouns, adjectives and verbs, yet somehow managed to say nothing at all. It's the political "as-you-were" then.

Fingeredmouse

Human stupidity is a powerful thing. You need to confront it powerfully in return.

If someone can’t wait to get a bit of sun and gets jailed for 3 years; and that saves lives, then so be it.

People are supposed to listen to clear advice from the government. It isn’t that difficult.

I don’t expect people from individualistic cultures to really understand it. Someone posted about the “cheek-kissing” countries being the worst hit (Italy, Spain and France). We’re even bigger cheek-kissers in the Gulf and we haven’t been hit as hard comparatively.

Ultimately, in Europe and the States, the culture is “to hell with other people. As long as I can have my beer out in the sun. No copper can stop me doing that.”

Reap the rewards.
Enjoy your totalitarian purity.
Your highly perceptive summary of the "ultimate" culture of Europe and the US was both perceptive, accurate, reasonable and modest.
And, yes, that was fecking sarcasm.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Reap the rewards.https://cdn.statcdn.com/Infographic/images/normal/20992.jpeg
Look at this map, percentage of people automatically washing their hands after they exist bathrooms. France, Spain, Italy and Holland don't have good percentages and the death tolls due to covid in these countries is high. Make of that what you will.

NYAS

Enjoy your totalitarian purity.
Your highly perceptive summary of the "ultimate" culture of Europe and the US was both perceptive, accurate, reasonable and modest.
And, yes, that was fecking sarcasm.
:lol:

It’s not perceptive mate. Look at the data, the numbers, the results. I feel sorry for people like you who seem to be completely in denial.