SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It just seems a bit premature if only one person has been cured up till now.
I do understand your point. I just assumed that others with milder symptoms had been treated.

Halftrack

It just seems a bit premature if only one person has been cured up till now.
I'm guessing they're specifically referring to patients who have contracted viral pneumonia from it. The estimated number of infected is based on the fact that a lot of people have likely only had cold-like symptoms, and have recovered from it on their own.

The tweet is also referring to the first patient cured in the Zhejiang Province, a province in which you won't find the city of Wuhan.

Also, a quick little factoid: the easier a virus spreads, the less severe it tends to be.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
On a serious note, my colleague just came back from China this week. His wife is due back next week.

I'd say there are slight grounds for me to be a little worried.
Yeah, I'd certainly be a bit weary around them if they start coughing. :lol: :nervous:
On another serious note, I think the chance of them carrying are very low if the official line is to be believed.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Chinese President Xi Jinping has held a special government meeting on the Lunar New Year public holiday to warn that the spread of a deadly new virus is "accelerating".

The country is facing a "grave situation" Mr Xi told senior officials, according to state television.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51249208

If Xi is saying that publicly, I fecking dread to think what he thinks behind closed doors. I really don't think it's like the Chinese to admit something like this. The situation must be stark.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If you eat as much wildlife as they do then this type of thing will continue; until they have eaten everything.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I imagine they withheld information to avoid mass panic but may end causing mass deaths. We humans really are an unintelligent species.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Someone sent me some report saying all outbound flights are closed except those to xinjiang and also the camps they have there are also in disgusting conditions so the virus will thrive there.

Nobody has really called the Chinese out for this tomfoolery of eating crazy animals like bat's and stuff.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I regularly play badminton with many Chinese who travel back and forth to China.

I'm going to stick to long, flick serves instead of my trusty short serves going forward.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Was following live coverage of this for a few hours yesterday, might've got carried away. :nervous:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Keane - 'I'd give China more time before closing airports'

Carragher - 'You'd give them MORE TIME!?'

Keane - 'I would, yeah, I'd give 'em at least a year of free travel'

Carragher - 'A year!?'

Keane - 'Aye, you've got Pogba in the background, he's a nuisance...'
:lol:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yes, and I've read today that a doctor's died. There's dead people on hospital floors with patients sitting around the bodies. It's horrific.
Absolutely terrible and also terrifying - they need to close any affected areas right down, like airtight, immediately.

Really hope this gets under control soon.

Cloud7

This is becoming pretty scary for me. We have Carnival coming up where people from all over the world come here in their masses. I’m dreading someone bringing this with them.

Di Maria's angel

There's a terrifying video of patient violently shaking from what seems to be the shivers. This may well be far worse than what the Chinese government have revealed.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
There's a terrifying video of patient violently shaking from what seems to be the shivers. This may well be far worse than what the Chinese government have revealed.
They were apparently falling on purpose so the medical trucks would stop for help. Not sure about shaking though. Harder to fake

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
China are experts at hiding things, so I'm sure things are a lot worse than they're presenting them.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
This may well be far worse than what the Chinese government have revealed.
I'm sure things are a lot worse than they're presenting them.
The global response does seem heavy handed for what is being reported. The reported death rate figures aren’t vastly different to normal flu so what gives?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Chickens, cows and pigs doesn't transmit deadly viruses?
Haven't our immune systems become used to their viruses as we lived in close proximity with them for thousands of years. Civilisations that haven't been in contact with these animal in the same way that Europeans, Asians and Africans have would likely suffer. I think this is one of the reasons disease spread when Europeans arrived on the Americans and came into contact with the natives who did not have an immunity.

Di Maria's angel

The global response does seem heavy handed for what is being reported. The reported death rate figures aren’t vastly different to normal flu so what gives?
Simply put, its a new strain, not understood well, no vaccine, mutation is possible. However, that said, this is 2020, modern medicine works wonders so it may well be controlled soon rather than later.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
@Sean_RedDevil that video was raised earlier. It's fecking horrible which is why none of us posted it to the caf. You should spoiler it.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This is absolutely nuts. Theyre building a special hospital in 144 HOURS!

its much much more serious than we think.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
@Sean_RedDevil that video was raised earlier. It's fecking horrible which is why none of us posted it to the caf. You should spoiler it.
Nah, I've read the Caf steak thread, there's feckers in there that think the only way to cook meat is to give it the most fleeting glimpse of an unlit match. Live rodents would be hors d'oeuvre to them.