SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Based Adnan

I heard it's only serious to those with pre existing issues like the elderly etc. Other then that it's a slightly worse version of the flu which eventually passes if you're averagely healthy.

To be fair normal flu (actual flu not cold etc) is fecking horrible. I've had it once and was bedridden. Can't imagine what it would be like to have this.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Side note, but I ended up in hospital on thursday after I started cauffing and was out of breath. Tested positive for flu and infection and has been kept isolated since.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yes, and I've read today that a doctor's died. There's dead people on hospital floors with patients sitting around the bodies. It's horrific.
There are not dead people people on hospital floors due to the virus.

There’s a lot of nonsense doing the rounds online. People falling over. A weird containment vehicle at an airport. None of it is connected to the virus.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
There are not dead people people on hospital floors due to the virus.

There’s a lot of nonsense doing the rounds online. People falling over. A weird containment vehicle at an airport. None of it is connected to the virus.
How exactly do you know that it isn’t true?

UnrelatedPsuedo

How exactly do you know that it isn’t true?
Thirty seconds of critical thought and checks. Helped by the fact I have two friends that read Chinese admittedly.

The fact remains that truly stupid people online are trying to make things sound worse.

McDonald’s closing in several cities.
Starbucks closing
All of China’s cinemas closing
Hong Kong closing all schools for several weeks
Disneyland closing
Tens of millions of people being locked down to their region.

All of those things speak to an infection rate higher than official numbers suggest. That’s all very odd.

But there are clearly not lots of people falling down in the streets. Nor are there dead bodies on hospital floors

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
This is becoming pretty scary for me. We have Carnival coming up where people from all over the world come here in their masses. I’m dreading someone bringing this with them.
Liverpool open top bus celebrations?

Simbo

Literally only finished reading World War Z a few weeks ago, this feels meant to be.

Seriously though, problem with China being so controlling of any media is that people are more likely to believe word of mouth and with the amount of trolls on the internet, that's a problem. Sure are some strange videos doing the rounds though.

Halftrack

This is absolutely nuts. Theyre building a special hospital in 144 HOURS!

its much much more serious than we think.
It's because it's a new virus that we don't have any effective treatments for yet, so the ones with more severe symptoms need to be hospitalised. The hospitals don't have the capacity to deal right now, so they're putting up temporary hospitals to help deal with the influx of patients. A lot of those hospitalised likely wouldn't have been if they presented exactly the same symptoms, but it was caused by a regular old flu virus.
Apparently its extremely serious, much more than the chinese government is letting on.
Get a hold of yourself, man!
The Chinese government, for all their faults, have a history (well, a modern history at least) of being very transparent with regards to outbreaks like these. They've already sequenced the genome of the virus, and have shared their findings in order for the rest of the world to get started to/help create antivirals and vaccines that targets this strain of the Corona Virus.

At the end of the day it's a Corona virus. We know how they work and what they do, the problem with this one is that it's a new strain, so we don't know how... well it does its thing, and we don't have any effective treatments (no vaccines or antivirals that target it.) So far, we have ~2000 confirmed cases and 56 confirmed death, which means a mortality rate of 2.8%. This is, of course, subject to change, as we're still in the early stages. On a somewhat positive note, estimates put the number of infected up to 10x the reported figures. Why is this positive? Because the vast majority of these people haven't gotten seriously ill from the virus, experiencing anything from a mild cold to a moderate flu, and have recovered on their own.

So, for now at least, chill out.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Chickens, cows and pigs doesn't transmit deadly viruses?
Haven't our immune systems become used to their viruses as we lived in close proximity with them for thousands of years. Civilisations that haven't been in contact with these animal in the same way that Europeans, Asians and Africans have would likely suffer. I think this is one of the reasons disease spread when Europeans arrived on the Americans and came into contact with the natives who did not have an immunity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoonosis

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's people panicking because they've got a slight cough
Yeah sure... China's got 40 odd million quarantined because of slight caugh. Never heard such nonsense...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Almost impossible to contain if that's true
Some are suggesting that the R0 is much higher as well which would make it a disaster. I mean even if the mortality rate is as low as it's claimed, if you have a quarter of the world's population infected, that would still be a major catastrophe, you'd still get 50 million deaths, which would surpass Spanish Flu for total deaths.

Marcelinho87

So could the reports indicating this could well be in the 100's of thousands actually be true? As opposed to the 2000 we have confirmed?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So could the reports indicating this could well be in the 100's of thousands actually be true? As opposed to the 2000 we have confirmed?
I mean if 2000 are known to be infected now and they have potentially been infected for a week without knowing then depending how easy it transmits it's easy to see that those 2000 could have passed it to many times more and those they have passed it to again passed it to many more again
Also how many people get it but it only gives them mild cold symptoms and they never present at a hospital... They never even know they had it but they can still.pass it on... Tie that in to a 300,000,000 people moving through bus terminals rail stations and airports and it could be an incredibly high number...
Equally If it's a virus that does not survive long out of the body or is for other reasons hard to transmit then the numbers could be really low... Truth is at this stage I think people just don't know

Halftrack

Might be, because most people don't get seriously ill from it, so a lot will probably have thought it a regular cold or flu and just stayed in bed until they felt better.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
What I don't understand is if there's 2000 reported cases spread across different cities and that some will have been cured already, why is it that hospitals are overflowing? Surely cities like Wuhan would have the capacity to deal with a lot more cases?

Wal2Fra

Paris cancelled their annual Chinese new year party this weekend. Not too often the French make a smart decision but good on them in this instance.

Although saying that, news reports stated that France or atleast Paris CDG are one of the few airports in Europe not doing checks upon arrival.

Edit: Paris CDG has now put something in place for arrivals.

Last edited:

Halftrack

What I don't understand is if there's 2000 reported cases spread across different cities and that some will have been cured already, why is it that hospitals are overflowing? Surely cities like Wuhan would have the capacity to deal with a lot more cases?
2000 confirmed cases, the actual number of infected could be 10x that. In addition, plenty of people will rock up at the hospital because they have a cough and now think they're going to die.

They're probably admitting anyone in high risk groups with symptoms that suggests novel corona infection to be on the safe side.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yes. I’m denying that. Read beyond headlines. Nobody leaves without being checked. That’s containment, not quarantine.

Chinese people can still move around the country and through those places. Businesses are still operational.

It’s not good, as I’ve said elsewhere. But you need to apply a little common sense if you own any. If you think it’s a ‘Soft Quarantine’, don’t use the word Quarantine in a dramatic fashion that sees you overstate. It’s juvenile.

justboy68

Yes. I’m denying that. Read beyond headlines. Nobody leaves without being checked. That’s containment, not quarantine.

Chinese people can still move around the country and through those places. Businesses are still operational.

It’s not good, as I’ve said elsewhere. But you need to apply a little common sense if you own any. If you think it’s a ‘Soft Quarantine’, don’t use the word Quarantine in a dramatic fashion that sees you overstate. It’s juvenile.
The only way anyone is leaving Wuhan and neighbouring cities at the moment is on foot. Every form of public transport plus highways are locked down. This is all openly admitted and confirmed. I'm in Jiangsu at the moment which isn't hit too badly as far as we are aware but still very nervous. Staying inside as much as possible and making sure to be ultra-hygienic. Even here the buses are shut and there are lots of temperature checks going on around town and at the train station. Going back to Shanghai in a few days, then going to plan what to do from there.