WW2 Draft QF - Team Beam vs Physio

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Team Beam

Tactics
: 4-3-3/4-2-3-1; compact and with a moderate high line and high intensity in defence. Emphasis on high tempo, quick passing and quick transition in the attack with fullbacks pushing up the pitch and players interchanging positions.

Spine of the team: Lav Yashin - Bobby Moore - Zinedine Zidane - Robert Lewandowski which is complimented with some lovely peaces around them in Thiago Silva, Lizarazu, McGrain, Overath, Futre, Boniek and yes, Tyler Adams (but more about him later)

General idea: The team was built with the idea of ten Hag's tactics, so quite of few players are in the team with that in mind. Platini was there to do a Bruno role (kill me if I saw two players who were more similiar in the way they play). The twist of fate (or bepo deciding he will feck your team for no reason as usual) sent Platini in opposition team and me having Zidane. It is a shame because of that Bruno - Platini similarity, but it can still work to high effect and while you lose Hollywood passes from Platini you get much more penetrating ability from Zidane and probably even more control. And Overath is quite capable of playing those same Hollywood passes.
What I like the most about this ten Hag team is that it attacks and defends in numbers, it can press you high up the pitch or defend deeper and counter you, so we will also mix the two during the match, but emphasis is always on attacking and defending as a collective.

Some of the players roles explained:

Wolfgang Overath
- always found his place in attacking number 10's strange. Overath loved to come deeper for the ball and initiate attacks. He would almost certainly play as an #8 today with a positional freedom. In this team Overath will operate in a deeper role as a free #8 linking the attack with defence. The bonus will be his absolutely killer long balls which will be send out to attackers on the counter, especially Boniek who will be ready to sprint in a free space at all time.

Paulo Futre - a dribbling wizard capable to wreck defences at all times. Not sure what he was doing among worst Ballon d'Or top 3 rankings, but no complaints with me. Will play as an inverted winger coming on his stronger left foot to threaten the opposition. He also had great ball retention skills and was an excellent assist provider which is a bonus.

Bobby Moore - the thing that strikes me most with Moore how much on the front foot defender he was and with how much controlled agressivity he played while being brilliant on the ball.

In the 1966 World Cup final Bobby Moore created two goals, made the most passes of anyone on the pitch and his pass completion rate was an astonishing 96 per cent.
And last, but not least - Tyler Adams

Adams is a little gem of the player. Now, I know he will be seen as a weak link, but tbh am quite happy with him and is one of my favorite picks in the team. Part of that is because usual suspects who appear in the drafts are...well, boring as feck. Adams has a massive role here and Platini on his back, but in a system it is much more about players characteristics then individual quality (although Adams has both tbf).
I needed a great ball winner with exceptional positional sense and tenacity there and he is exactly that. Adams already has a brilliant WC behind him while being a captain of national team at the age of 23 and before that earning a big summer move from Leipzig to Leeds United.
His job is to shield the defence and shut opposition off wherever the danger occurs. Adams is no mug with the ball though. He is especially great in quick passes to start the transition and also always opens himself to recieve the ball and make his team thick going forward, but his ability to sense danger and react is what makes him such a valuable player. He has a bulldog like tenacity, but even greater ability of being in the right place at all the right times to block passes and opponent actions.
Since his summer move to West Yorkshire, Adams has become an integral part of Marsch’s side. The 23-year-old has won a club-high 52 tackles, made 104 ball recoveries and won 75 duels in England’s top flight. Between his tackling stats and number of interceptions, the American ranks amongst the very best in Europe’s top five leagues.
When he does play he is literally everywhere and am sure he would be extremely annoying to play against, even for someone as great as Platini.

Conclusion

Quite happy with the final product and think the team still captures well the intended thought of being able to cut you open through quick combination play if the opposition sits back or to just kill you in transition in a few seconds.

Team Physio

Tactics
– Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 4213
Defensive Line – Balanced
Marking – Zonal

The heart of my side is the fantastic and complementary midfield 3 that all provide graft and creativity. Platini will especially have lots of passing options in the fluid front three – Denis Law seemed to enjoy the wide right channel and will fit in nicely there. Czibor’s trickery and crossing will be enjoyed by both Owen and Law – despite his height Owen was always pretty good in the air. Also Owen’s pace will be a huge threat with Platini providing expert through balls.

Mitoma played as a LWB at Union SG and he will play a similarly attacking game. Carlos Alberto will be a reserved RB forming a back three in possession to allow Mitoma to attack – this doesn’t really limit Alberto all that much as he was primarily a playmaker from deep rather than an overalapper. This too allows Bastian more licence to get forward and support Law on the right – Bastian began his career as a right-winger. On the other side Stielike will provide more defensive cover on Mitoma’s side.

33+ Nesta still played over 25 games a season for Milan for two years and was still his Rolls-Royce self; he will be a complementary, aggressive presence to Ricardo Carvalho’s sweeperish role. Finally in goal, the most complete goalkeeper of all-time: great shot stopper, assured aerial commander, sweepers of sweepers and excellent on the ball – Manuel Neuer.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
When I saw a T. Adams in Beam's side I assumed it was Tony Adams. Then I saw him playing as a DM. What on earth was Beam smoking? Then I learned to read.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
On a more serious note, I do think Adams will have seriously hard time keeping Platini quiet. I really rate Overath and I do think he would be a modern day 8 but I think he will have too much on his plate defensively especially as Zidane did not get stuck in as much as Platini. Also given the high line Beam is playing, if I can break the press any of my midfield three are capable of playing Owen in behind and even physical peak T. Silva will get nowhere near him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Best of luck @Physiocrat.

Owen was my reserve pick in that round in case I couldn't get Futre who somehow managed to reach me to my surprise. Wouldn't play him as a lone striker, but playing him as a LW was tempting a lot after I saw this game. Sheffield Wednesday or not, absolutely brilliant performance at the age of 18. Pretty sure he would be fully comfortable on LW playing off someone in today's game after seeing that.

With someone like Law in there even better, so was a bit suprised when you went for Czibor and then Mitoma who are also best as LW. Now, I think Owen could do an acceptable job as a lone striker, but overall 2 other players ended up being in somewhat makeshift positions in Law and especially Mitoma, so I don't feel like you will get the absolute best out of the team.

As for Adams, I wrote in OP already that I understand he will be seen as somewhat of a weak link. Personally, I don't see it in high-energy, end to end game where he has to shut down openings around him as he excells in such things. Really great little player who is capable of covering a lot of ground. People who saw him at WC where he was by far USA best player get the idea how good he is in the defensive phase (and transition) coming from Leipzig school of football. A bigger name, but a slower player there and yeah, am in trouble. His recovery speed is really amazing (managed to match even Alphonso Davies on open field tells you everything).

For example, give me one upgrade and it definitely wouldn't be him, but McGrain to get a better attacker and overlapper on Futre's side.
Am definitely not the one who will shit on modern players and mixing them (in their best roles) with the oldies was always appealing to me. Much more than pairing the same group of players over and over again shoehorning them into the side in most cases. So, picking Mitoma and then placing him at LB just feels like a bit of waste to me.

Well, small margins and all that!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I like how the draft forces you to play square pegs in round holes and how there's a realistic range of quality on the park.

First impressions are that I can see Zidane and Lewandowski hitting it off really well. Same for Moore and Thiago Silva who look really clean and will reduce the space that Adams has to patrol.

Physio's defence and midfield look great. Ideally I'd have Owen and Law working more directly as a partnership which I reckon would work really well. Don't see them being particularly complementary in a 4-3-3 where they are perhaps looking for different things out of their ideal wing/central partner.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
:lol:

I'm not convinced Owen suits a lone striker role tbh. Memory could be playing tricks on me but I seem to recall him being a casualty of the shift away from two striker systems.
Physio's defence and midfield look great. Ideally I'd have Owen and Law working more directly as a partnership which I reckon would work really well. Don't see them being particularly complementary in a 4-3-3 where they are perhaps looking for different things out of their ideal wing/central partner.
The original idea was to have Owen and Law as a front two but Zidane making way for Platini meant I couldn't play a similar 442 that the Galaticos played. I also think that the one striker formations that came into vogue in the mid 2000s were quite different than today's fluid front threes where there are inverted wingers rather than orthodox widemen. Czibor was a roaming winger and not an orthodox outside left like Gento.

@Jim Beam On Mitoma I really needed a left-back who could attack who was Japanese and he was the only decent option I could think of. Still I think the setup suits him quite well.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Had a watch of the Tyler Adams vid. I didn't see much of the US a the World Cup. He seems an energetic and tidy player who fits an ETH style system. Boring point, but I'm not convinced of his individual quality when up against Platini.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Jim Beam Well played. Your side was really quite coherent given the restrictions and curve balls. Mine slightly less so. In retrospect maybe Owen LW, Law at CF and Czibor at RW would have worked better.

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting that Lizarazu was so darn short otherwise I would have picked him instead of Czibor.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
@Jim Beam Well played. Your side was really quite coherent given the restrictions and curve balls. Mine slightly less so. In retrospect maybe Owen LW, Law at CF and Czibor at RW would have worked better.

I'm still kicking myself for forgetting that Lizarazu was so darn short otherwise I would have picked him instead of Czibor.
Cheers mate, good game. Yeah, I thought the same thing yesterday, especially as that way you would take Lizarazu from me as well.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

votes wise dont think your attack was an issue, Mitoma at LB lost you the game....you can get away with lesser player but when its also out of position then you are pretty much fecked.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Agree with Gio that Law-Owen's partnership would be a hell of a partnership as a duo. Both teams are well-drafted tbh. I rate Adams as a player, his performances at WC are impressive. He is a player that has great tenacity and mentality.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
votes wise dont think your attack was an issue, Mitoma at LB lost you the game....you can get away with lesser player but when its also out of position then you are pretty much fecked.
Oh I agree entirely with Mitoma although I do think he had pretty much the best setup given that he was playing at LB. I was just thinking more about Owen and his role.

Agree with Gio that Law-Owen's partnership would be a hell of a partnership as a duo. Both teams are well-drafted tbh. I rate Adams as a player, his performances at WC are impressive. He is a player that has great tenacity and mentality.
That was the original idea but Zidane switching changed the plan.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Feels like the game would be tighter if only Physio went with

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Feels like the game would be tighter if only Physio went with
That's an interesting option. I just didn't want to have Platini that deep although it would certainly have made my right wing more potent.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
And more assert in midfield battle.
I don't think it would make much difference to the midfield battle. It is a pretty similar shape in possession to my setup and off the ball I would have had Platini at 10 and Law at RM rather than Platini at CM and Law at 10.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't think it would make much difference to the midfield battle. It is a pretty similar shape in possession to my setup and off the ball I would have had Platini at 10 and Law at RM rather than Platini at CM and Law at 10.
I just think that formation would look less confusing than having Law as RW. And also looks a bit more threatening than having Owen as a center forward.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I just think that formation would look less confusing than having Law as RW. And also looks a bit more threatening than having Owen as a center forward.
That's reasonable. I just didn't buy the midfield battle argument.