WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

starman

The question posed was "why is the US women's team so much better than the men's, relatively speaking?" Nobody said anything about who's the best. And the best male athletes in the US do play other sports. That's just a fact. Keep on drinking the hatorade though.
Yes and the answer is the mens teams are much more competitive for the rest of the world compared to the women. Jeez :rolleyes:

Cris29

Supports
Barca
Straw man. Nobody argued that. The question was why is the discrepancy so large between the men and women and you answered it with a completely ignorant post.
It is obvious why, I do not have the stats from 2019. However, in 2012 the US had more female registered players than the rest of the world COMBINED. Ergo devoted more resources to it. When 1 single country has more players than the rest combined, then it stands to reason they'd likely dominate. Whereby the men's team compete in a fiercely competitive environment with the rest of the world.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Completely out of the run of play and a bit lucky. Anyways, congrats to England on making fourth. Can't bother to argue with salty English fans right about now.
Not sure what is salty about the fact that the England game was much closer than this one. Dutch finished second and congratulations to them but not once today did it feel like they had an actual chance , the USA keeper barely had a touch. On the other hand England scored one , missed a penalty and had one disallowed for a really close offside .

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
:rolleyes:
Your level of comprehension is disturbing. I suggest you read the posts again.
Your level of straw manning is disturbing. I suggest you read what you replied to again.

If fact I'll post it for you.
Speaking relatively, why are the female USA team so much better than the men?

You'd expect both to be equally good/equally shit but the discrepancy is massive!
The rest of the world values football, we do not. Our best male athletes play American football, baseball and basketball.

redshaw

Completely out of the run of play and a bit lucky. Anyways, congrats to England on making fourth. Can't bother to argue with salty English fans right about now.

Nothing I've said is salty but you sure seem very salty indeed and quoted me. You can't even acknowledge the England performance against you, how sad.

USA are the best team and deserve to win. You should try to enjoy the win and not be bitter at the same time.

Ainu

Yes and the answer is the mens teams are much more competitive for the rest of the world compared to the women. Jeez :rolleyes:
While that's true, it's only part of the answer. If the USA would motivate athletes to play football as much as other sports, and if the level of professionalism was up to the standard that they display in their best sports, is it so hard to believe the men's game would be significantly better than what it is now? I mean, that's what they were saying, but you seem to think that's a ridiculous answer.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
After it became 2-0, yes. First half was pretty tight and US had a couple of half chances at best.
They had more than that.

It's fine being pro-USA but consistent anti-England comments (like now bigging up Holland, who were nowhere near as close to beating USA as England were), just diminishes your posts and makes you sound like a wum.

(and before you say it, I'm not English).

best team won the tournament.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I understand that this result must be very disappointing for you.
Making the final was a great achievement and honestly losing only 2-0 isnt that bad. The US is far better.

Why so serious mate, enjoy the win. Im just yanking your chain.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Don't the Dutch have a few world-class forwards in Miedema and Martens? They were really bad going forward.
Martens has been injured throughout this tournament, playing on painkillers. Barely reached 30% of her level and really shouldn't have played based on her performance today. It's just that she was the best player at Euro 2017 and they hoped she should could still have one of her moments.

Miedema is one of the best #9's in Europe, but like you saw she had to play in midfield for 80 minutes in this special formation, which in hindsight was quite pointless and silly. At least it helped them to survive the first half. It's not been an easy tournament for the Dutch with Martens and Van der Sanden in hopeless form on both wings, but they've made the most out of it I guess.

USA was easily the best team out there during this tournament and they were the superior team tonight, so well done to them. They also have a bit of that oldskool German cnutish vibe going on which is not bad, I don't really like the holier than thou talk about how 'those women show more sportsmanship than men'. If they're winners they'll do whatever it takes to get the job done on the highest level.

Ramos

While that's true, it's only part of the answer. If the USA would motivate athletes to play football as much as other sports, and if the level of professionalism was up to the standard that they display in their best sports, is it so hard to believe the men's game would be significantly better than what it is now? I mean, that's what they were saying, but you seem to think that's a ridiculous answer.
Think it's a combination of both answers.

The US women are number 1 in football because it's their most important sport for girls AND it's absolutely not the case in other countries. It's actually still in its infancy in most. Giving them little opposition.

The US men aren't in the top 20 because american boys tend to focus on other sports AND it's almost like a religion in dozens of other countries, even those with a small population (example Uruguay). Making it much harder to compete.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Think it's a combination of both answers.

The US women are number 1 in football because it's their most important sport for girls AND it's absolutely not the case in other countries. It's actually still in its infancy in most. Giving them little opposition.

The US men aren't in the top 20 because american boys tend to focus on other sports AND it's almost like a religion in dozens of other countries, even those with a small population (example Uruguay). Making it much harder to compete.
You are absolutely correct. I think that's what @Ainu was alluding to when he says that "it's only part of the answer". I'm not even disagreeing with what @starman was saying really. Funny how he took exception with my post though.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm glad the women's game is growing and this World Cup should really be a massive boost for funding/popularity. Now they just need to continue to grow.

Seeing on Twiter that there was quite a bit of chanting for 'equal pay' etc.

I hate the sense of entitlement, I'm all for being fair but they do not deserve parity with the men's game. they can have equal pay when they get to a level that is anywhere near their male counterparts in terms of quality/money/popularity.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I'm glad the women's game is growing and this World Cup should really be a massive boost for funding/popularity. Now they just need to continue to grow.

Seeing on Twiter that there was quite a bit of chanting for 'equal pay' etc.

I hate the sense of entitlement, I'm all for being fair but they do not deserve parity with the men's game. they can have equal pay when they get to a level that is anywhere near their male counterparts in terms of quality/money/popularity.
Debatable. Male football is often terrible below the elite.

marktan

Well thank feck that's over. This USA team certainly haven't earned any fans with their continued arrogance in the tournament, in a field of teams where they're clearly the most developed and favourites to win.

Now we can start having the beeb etc be filled with silly season rumours :drool:

MarylandMUFan

Well thank feck that's over. This USA team certainly haven't earned any fans with their continued arrogance in the tournament, in a field of teams where they're clearly the most developed and favourites to win.

Now we can start having the beeb etc be filled with silly season rumours :drool:
Is there a double standard here? Did they behave any differently than a mens team does?

Stadjer

I enjoyed the tournament from a Dutch point of view. I only watched the Dutch team and eventhough the level of football wasnt that high it was still enjoyable to watch. The difference between quality of the players in the same team is massive though. Groenen is good at football but the Dutch backs are terrible at football...

Interested to see how this relative young Dutch team will do in the future. Maybe win another European Championship and keep improving at the same rate as they have been doing the last years.

I did like team Japan the most. They played some nice quick passing football... we were really lucky to beat them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looking forward to euro 2021 now...will be very strong tournament considering I think 7/8 quarter finalists were european and Spain were very good in their match v US.

England are hosting it.

sport2793

I have to say, there’s something very warm and fuzzy feeling about the ABUsa nature of all of this :angel:
If there is something you can count on Europeans for it's being hypocritical. Just as morally self-righteous as anyone else (including Americans for that matter).

marktan

Is there a double standard here? Did they behave any differently than a mens team does?
The excessive celebrations against Thailand
Morgan's tea celebration
Morgan's excessive diving
The virtue signalling about them being criticised for it for being women, rather than their actual actions.

If it was the men's USA team, or say Spain, it'd be annoying too. Just like Suarez or Pepe are to others. It's one of those things though, it's grating to opposition's, but obviously not to people from the USA. They're arrogant, but they back it up, so fair enough. Just hopefully in years to come they'll have some actual opposition, currently the European teams are still a good 5-10 years behind where the USA is development and facilities wise, which imo undervalues their achievements given the lack of serious contenders.