WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Cameroon ending was great. Incredible composure out of nowhere. Both just had 5 up front after 85 minutes, great to watch.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Chile need to win by 3+ goals tonight to go through as a best third place. If they do it, they play England. I won't do the calculation for how many goals Thailand would need to qualify, you need an abacus not fingers for that calculation. If Chile don't go through, England will play Cameroon in the R16.

USA already 1-0 up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Chile need to win by 3+ goals tonight to go through as a best third place. If they do it, they play England. I won't do the calculation for how many goals Thailand would need to qualify, need an abacus not fingers for that calculation.

USA already 1-0 up.
That was a quick goal, now a VAR check.

KC91

Seems to be a real lack of composure on the ball in the women’s game, even at the highest level. It does tend to make things pretty exciting and frenetic though.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Cameroon ending was great. Incredible composure out of nowhere. Both just had 5 up front after 85 minutes, great to watch.
It was incredible! I’m only calming down now. Unbelievable end to that game, scoring to qualify at the last kick of the ball. And how she took it, too... I went crazy when it went in!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It was incredible! I’m only calming down now. Unbelievable end to that game, scoring to qualify at the last kick of the ball. And how she took it, too... I went crazy when it went in!
When the own-goal went in, I must admit I thought Cameroon were out of the tournament. I didn't think they would recover from the shock with it arriving so late in the game. But they kept pushing forward right to the last second. Lovely goal to win it. Nchout looked really good today.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
When the own-goal went in, I must admit I thought Cameroon were out of the tournament. I didn't think they would recover from the shock with it arriving so late in the game. But they kept pushing forward right to the last second. Lovely goal to win it. Nchout looked really good today.
The change in emotions throughout this match was a bit extreme for me, I admit. I was first frustrated by our inability to take our chances in the first half. Excited when Ajara scored the first goal. Gutted when the own goal went in from a careless error by arguably our best defender today. Angry when I saw time running out and the selfish play from Aboudi ruining chance after chance. Then just when I’d lost all hope... I exploded with joy at the last-second, last shot of the game winner. This is why I love football.

EDIT: About Nchout Ajara, yes, she did what we had been expecting from her since the beginning but she looked disappointingly (and strangely) subdued in the first two matches.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Chile need to win by 3+ goals tonight to go through as a best third place. If they do it, they play England. I won't do the calculation for how many goals Thailand would need to qualify, you need an abacus not fingers for that calculation. If Chile don't go through, England will play Cameroon in the R16.

USA already 1-0 up.
15 clear goals by my maths is what Thailand need.

Wal2Fra

How is that given!? How can the ref in any way look at that and give anything but offside!?

0le

The Thai goalkeeper is absolutely terrible :D

She has scored an own goal, flapped at the second goal and now conceded a penalty.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Leaving Rojas on the bench til 88th was stupid. Seen a lot of her and shes a good finisher, very odd to not bring her on when needing goals.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Similar to the mens world cup where there was a clear half of the draw you'd want to be in. Anyone on the right side of the draw will think they've a chance at the final.

Grande

Similar to the mens world cup where there was a clear half of the draw you'd want to be in. Anyone on the right side of the draw will think they've a chance at the final.
I’ll be betting on Germany or Italy on that side, hoping for The Netherlands. Did anyone see how Jackie Groenen did against Canada today?

On the other side, England are light favorites to meet the winner of France vs USA (I’m guessing USA vs Germany for the final, contrary to what I would like.)

USA are good, but a bit like the men’s Germany of the 70’s and 80’s with their machinery. I switched over to the highly nervy game between Chile and Thailand, who by way of keeping Chile out in a weird way raised their chin to go home with some pride after all.

R16 matches and BBC schedule

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've put the knockout round bracket graphic in the opening post. If anyone finds (makes!) a better one please let me know.

R16 - BBC schedule (times show kickoffs in UK time not program starts)

Saturday, 22 June

Germany v Nigeria, 16:30, Grenoble - BBC Two
Norway v Australia, 20:00, Nice - BBC2

Sunday, 23 June
England v Cameroon, 16:30, Valenciennes, BBC One
France v Brazil, 20:00, Le Havre - BBC4

Monday, 24 June
Spain v United States, 17:00, Reims, BBC2
Sweden v Canada, 20:00, Paris, BBC Red Button

Tuesday, 25 June
Italy v China, 17:00, Montpellier, BBC2
Netherlands v Japan, 20:00, Rennes, BBC4

Last edited:

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
R16 - BBC schedule (times show kickoffs in UK time not program starts)

Saturday, 22 June

Germany v Nigeria, 16:30, Grenoble - BBC Two, iPlayer and BBC Sport website & App
Norway v Australia, 20:00, Nice - iPlayer, Red Button and BBC Sport website & App

Sunday, 23 June
England v Cameroon, 16:30, Valenciennes, BBC One, iPlayer and BBC Sport website & App
France v Brazil, 20:00, Le Havre - iPlayer, Red Button and BBC Sport website & App

Monday, 24 June
Spain v United States, 17:00, Reims
Sweden v Canada, 20:00, Paris

Tuesday, 25 June
Italy v China, 17:00, Montpellier
Netherlands v Japan, 20:00, Rennes
Is it winner of each tie on each day play each other in the next round mate or is it muddled? I have a wallchart on my laptop but I just got in to bed.

EDIT: sorry just saw the chart above.

Andersons Dietician

Scotland robbed by piss poor refereeing again.
Kinda done by VAR in every game.

It’s mostly the officials and how they view it but the referee for the Scotland vs Japan game was an absolute joke as Scotland should have had 2 clear cut penalties in that game if we go by the new VAR rulings.

Don’t even want to talk about the Argentina game.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
The farce goes on.
http://theifab.com/news/temporary-d...enalty-mark-at-the-fifa-womens-world-cup-2019

Keepers won't be booked for coming off their line in a pen shootout now, but will be for doing it in normal time. Whilst it is the right decision, the entire thing just shows that IFAB haven't actually considered the logistics of their rule in the first place and obviously haven't trialled it. To trial it at a World Cup is ludicrious.