WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Phil Nev comes across so well in his interviews. Genuinely good guy. As per Phil the USA manager Jill Elis who was born in Portsmouth is a United fan

montpelier

I thought Sweden 2nd half the other night was excellent. I didn't see this game.

But I thought they were prepared to pass assertively within the limits of their abilities**. They had been utterly piss-poor 1st half, mind.

** I hope this doesn't come across as a horrible criticism but some of these teams don't do that & try & play like the BEST men teams do too much - defenders playing into MF & getting it back & so on. All across the back 4 twice & so on***

Not all the time because passing is good but the place to play football at a lower level is in the opponents half but you need to get there to do that. Feed your best players as well, get them on ball as much as you can. Give it to them a bit earlier if you can.

I'm not advocating direct hit & hope footy, but France last night did very little until late on because their build up was too slow. USA had no problem just funnelling back for the first hour.

And England have passages of it too.

***also England

montpelier

Sampson didn't want them to play at all though so I don't mean they should go back to that & I think it's really good that PNev wants them to play.

Last edited:

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Sampson didn't want them to play at all though so I don't mean they should go back to that & I think it' really good that PNev wants them to play.
Sampson only had one idea of how to play, whenever we’d come up against the top teams we’d revert into our shell. I don’t think we will do that on Tuesday, but the big concern in that USA like to hit on the fast counter which I fear we may well leave ourselves exposed to.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not without a chance to reach the final against Sweden. Could go either way. Think the other tie will produce the eventual champions though.

redshaw

Swedes look really fast and strong going forward, they could give England or USA a game.

montpelier

I'll go USA-SWE.

Netherlands have a chance but need to improve. I don't think the ENG defence can keep the USA out.

redshaw

England v Sweden final and England to win.

My concern is Millie Bright though, seems to get tired easily?

montpelier

which I'm sad about because van de Donk is now my favourite player - ever, possibly

(though this is not entirely based on just her footy, tbh)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That's the end of the road for England. Zero chance of getting to the final.

I mean clearly there's not zero chance considering the US needed a dodgy pen to get past Spain and were really not that impressive against France either.

The US are favourites, clearly. They're the best women's team. But the idea that in a one off knockout game there's 'zero chance' of a decent England team beating them is absurd.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Struggling to see past USA. Think player for player they’re just too strong.

Holland will win if their front 3 finally turn up but they’ve been a big let down so far. Did look better yesterday though. It’s a shame the draw became so lop sided.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Anyone watch lionesses daily on YouTube? I think the presenter is great.

Also, Ian Wright visiting was funny, and Jill Scott's fan girling over Beckham's visit was brilliant!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
admittedly I don't know a huge amount about the teams but from what I've watched, I can only see the USA winning this one

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Lyon had thunderstorms last night, which has taken away some of the ferocious heat, by which I mean it's 30/31 now and will probably be around that in the stadium at kickoff.

I've got to say I've met a lot of USA fans - most of them over for a series of games. Not nearly so many England fans - and a lot of the ones I have seen, arrived last night/this morning and travel home tomorrow.

We could certainly do with the French fans temporarily switching allegiance to us for tonight. I'm ashamed to say it (having derided the concept for years) I'm hoping the England band are on form - having seen the effect of a good tune on the neutrals in a crowd, they may play a key role :D

0161_UNITED

Predictions for the semis?

I’ll go for England to upset the USA and the NED to beat SWE.
I predicted when the round of 16 started that England would stroll through Norway and be, by some distance, the toughest opponents the US faced in the tourney, yet. Still see the US getting through tonight, though.

The Dutch remind me of Portugal when they won the Euros. Dodgy as hell, but then end up winning it all.

Prediction: a heavily depleted US vs Holland

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Ive done all I can to not think about the game, I remember 4 years ago (and last year)

Fun fact, at senior level across both sexes, I have seen England in 6 semi finals....I’ve never seen us in a final :nervous:

Venkman24

Lineup Prediction League Runner-up 2014/15
Previous results between USA and England. Couldn't find any more.

2019 SheBelieves Cup 2-2
2018 SheBelieves Cup 1-0 USA
2017 SheBelieves Cup 1-0 England
2016 SheBelieves Cup 1-0 USA
2015 Friendly 1-0 USA
2007 World Cup QF 3-0 USA
2007 4 Nations Cup 1-1
2002 Algarve Cup 2-0 USA

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Rapinoe not in USA starting 11, Telford replaces Bardsley in goal, hope she has a blinder tonight (apt to make a huge error on occasion), Beth Mead replaces Toni Duggan on the left, no surprise, but Rachel Daly comes in on right, replacing Fran Kirby, 4-4-2 it looks like.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Rapinoe not in USA starting 11, Telford replaces Bardsley in goal, hope she has a blinder tonight (apt to make a huge error on occasion), Beth Mead replaces Toni Duggan on the left, no surprise, but Rachel Daly comes in on right, replacing Fran Kirby, 4-4-2 it looks like.
Weird no Rapinoe

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Weird no Rapinoe
Injury? Tactical? Who knows. Generally you would play arguably your best player in a world cup semi final. Looks like we may have set up to counteract Rapinoe on our right, with Daly coming in, it will be interesting to see if it's Bronze who pushes forward more during the game. I think we can nick this one if we put our chances away, not sure if Parriss will take the penalty if we get one.

0161_UNITED

Injury? Tactical? Who knows. Generally you would play arguably your best player in a world cup semi final. Looks like we may have set up to counteract Rapinoe on our right, with Daly coming in, it will be interesting to see if it's Bronze who pushes forward more during the game. I think we can nick this one if we put our chances away, not sure if Parriss will take the penalty if we get one.
Getting into a dispute with a 70 year old enfant terrible dotard?