WWC19 | Women's World Cup - Squad announcements and general stuff

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
In 1971 an England women's team (actually a group of mostly teenage amateurs who played for a team in Oxfordshire) played Argentina in Mexico in one of the early women's World Cup competitions that weren't organised by FIFA. When they got there they discovered they were playing at the Azteca Stadium in front of a 90,000 crowd.

Last night, some of the England women who played in that tournament met some of the Argentinian women who played - they were all over in France for the game.

The story of the '71 team for anyone who's curious:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/LNoYd7se8m/the-lost-lionesses
Which one are you Jo?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The main gossip side story at the World Cup this week was around Meg Rapinoe who was videoed a few weeks back saying, "I'm not going to the fecking White House," if they win. Citing misogyny, racism and homophobia as starting points.

Trump naturally put aside time in his busy working day to tweet

Rapinoe has subsequently removed the word fecking from the sentence - because her mother doesn't like the swearing.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The main gossip side story at the World Cup this week was around Meg Rapinoe who was videoed a few weeks back saying, "I'm not going to the fecking White House," if they win. Citing misogyny, racism and homophobia as starting points.

Trump naturally put aside time in his busy working day to tweet

Rapinoe has subsequently removed the word fecking from the sentence - because her mother doesn't like the swearing.
My reaction would have been the same as hers to be fair.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yep, I was expecting to support France tonight, but her comments may have got me on the USA side, or at least neutral again.
:(

It's like a dagger in the heart.