Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Barca manager

reddevilz007

Saw a little bit of footage of his current team, they're easy on the eye. But Barcelona is a juggernaut of a club, can he make the step up? It's a huge change in expectation.

I’d like to see Ole’s tactics explained :)

Hoof the ball

I'll say just one thing.

Watch Riqui Puig fly under Xavi.

You thought Gavi was good? Watch what happens now Riqui has someone who will use him, and use him right.

NoPace

I'll say just one thing.

Watch Riqui Puig fly under Xavi.

You thought Gavi was good? Watch what happens now Riqui has someone who will use him, and use him right.
I sort of assume the midfield 3 under Xavi will be

Gavi-De Jong-Pedri

NoPace

Saw a little bit of footage of his current team, they're easy on the eye. But Barcelona is a juggernaut of a club, can he make the step up? It's a huge change in expectation.
He won't be expected to win the league (though only 6 points out) or the CL, so he's basically got 9 months to get them back to playing good football even if they have some big defeats it can be pinned on Busquets and Pique being so old and them needing a couple upgrades in attack.

His football should suit the main young core except maybe Memphis (hard to say) and possibly Araujo.

Seems like a good fit. They'll be Barca again even if they don't win anything this year.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Will be interesting to see how he gets on. I did think he would be a failure when he was initially touted in 2020 but he does seem to have improved from his early days but still has flaws. Hasn't really done much of note at Al-Sadd, won the league last season but struggled in his first season despite having pretty comfortably the best squad in the league. Team is still the best in the league on paper too. He was brought in with the aim of winning the Asian CL as well as improving the profile of Qatar/The World Cup big.Have struggled in the ACL against stronger teams though, didn't make it through the groups this year and got knocked out by Persepolis last year in a game that on paper they should really be winning. Tactically he is pretty naive/stubborn (it does tie in with comments as a player about refusing to park the bus etc), their games can get stupidly open and they are great in transition and at pressing. He hasn't really adapted his tactics to the bigger games, which is a big part of the reason that Barca have struggled so it'll be interesting to see if he decides to stay with his principles or whether he can create a plan B for them. They are a very fun side to watch though, play good football and they rarely have a boring game. At worst it'll at least make Barca way more entertaining than they have been.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That explains why Rashford and Greenwood just keep shooting like headless chickens

RooneyLegend

I’d like to see Ole’s tactics explained :)
He's gonna get roasted with that pressing system. Man on man at the back with no zonal defenders with the athletes of today that play as strikers? teams will just hit the ball into channels all day.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm extremely keen to see how this goes. The fact he's Xavi Hernandez, one of the greatest midfielders ever and one of the greatest Barcelona players of all time will give him credibility with the players. That will only last for as long as they believe in him and what he's implementing. As we know, great players don't automatically become great coaches. Some do, some don't.

This season is about qualifying for the Champions League but he won't compromise his style of play in order to achieve that. He or whoever is the next Barcelona manager will need time to get the ship going in the right direction. This is not a situation where the team is a good one but just needs a new voice, a new message in the form of a new manager.

A league title is obviously the long term aim. Winning one this season would be a pleasant, unexpected surprise. Plenty has to happen in the next couple of years for it to be a realistic aim.

If, for example, Cadiz parks the bus and gets a draw with Barcelona, I hope Xavi refrains from talking about 'anti football' or 'only one team tried to play football'. It's sanctimonious, petty and childish.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm extremely keen to see how this goes. The fact he's Xavi Hernandez, one of the greatest midfielders ever and one of the greatest Barcelona players of all time will give him credibility with the players. That will only last for as long as they believe in him and what he's implementing. As we know, great players don't automatically become great coaches. Some do, some don't.

This season is about qualifying for the Champions League but he won't compromise his style of play in order to achieve that. He or whoever is the next Barcelona manager will need time to get the ship going in the right direction. This is not a situation where the team is a good one but just needs a new voice, a new message in the form of a new manager.

A league title is obviously the long term aim. Winning one this season would be a pleasant, unexpected surprise. Plenty has to happen in the next couple of years for it to be a realistic aim.

If, for example, Cadiz parks the bus and gets a draw with Barcelona, I hope Xavi refrains from talking about 'anti football' or 'only one team tried to play football'. It's sanctimonious, petty and childish.
I mean, its possible that he has learned to be a better loser over the years, but i wouldn't count on it.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Will be interesting to see how he gets on. I did think he would be a failure when he was initially touted in 2020 but he does seem to have improved from his early days but still has flaws. Hasn't really done much of note at Al-Sadd, won the league last season but struggled in his first season despite having pretty comfortably the best squad in the league. Team is still the best in the league on paper too. He was brought in with the aim of winning the Asian CL as well as improving the profile of Qatar/The World Cup big.Have struggled in the ACL against stronger teams though, didn't make it through the groups this year and got knocked out by Persepolis last year in a game that on paper they should really be winning. Tactically he is pretty naive/stubborn (it does tie in with comments as a player about refusing to park the bus etc), their games can get stupidly open and they are great in transition and at pressing. He hasn't really adapted his tactics to the bigger games, which is a big part of the reason that Barca have struggled so it'll be interesting to see if he decides to stay with his principles or whether he can create a plan B for them. They are a very fun side to watch though, play good football and they rarely have a boring game. At worst it'll at least make Barca way more entertaining than they have been.
Good write up, interesting read.
Agreed that it’ll be interesting to see how it goes, I like a manager who’s committed to a philosophy. For all his flaws I’m excited to see Russel Martin develop, he has a strong commitment to possession football, and I like that kind of manager.

L1nk

Romano seems to believe this is done, which is good for us if we are replacing manager to not have to go against Barca for managerial appointments, I have a feeling we may go up against Tottenham however..

Sviken

Romano seems to believe this is done, which is good for us if we are replacing manager to not have to go against Barca for managerial appointments
Barca are even in a worse state than us. They're of no threat. Problem is - they have a competent president now and we do not.

Brophs

The One and Only
Easiest job in football. Feed Luuk De Jong, 60 goals a season minimum.

Hoof the ball

Barca are even in a worse state than us. They're of no threat. Problem is - they have a competent president now and we do not.
Yes, in a lot of ways, but this generation of La Masia graduates is as good as anything I've seen come out of an academy in a long time.

Pedri, Gavi, Fati, Riqui, Nico Gonzalez, Mingueza.

They're all teenagers except for Riqui and Mingueza, and exceptionally good for their respective ages. Riqui, in particular, has been shunted by Koeman, who has no clue how to use someone like him. I'd put money on Xavi unlocking Riqui. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that Riqui under Xavi's tutelage may have a Xavi/Iniesta bloom.

Under Setien, Riqui Puig was fantastic at such a young age versus a very aggressive Atletico side. Played his heart out. Koeman came in and just didn't give him minutes.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He'll probably flop but they're in transition regardless of manager so it doesn't matter all that much. Gonna go out on a limb and say he won't be the one that turns them into a great team. Basically their Ole. Maybe settles things and steers the ship back on course and then they get Ten Hag to actually do the things.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yes, in a lot of ways, but this generation of La Masia graduates is as good as anything I've seen come out of an academy in a long time.

They're all teenagers except for Riqui and Mingueza, and exceptionally good for their respective ages. Riqui, in particular, has been shunted by Koeman, who has no clue how to use someone like him. I'd put money on Xavi unlocking Riqui. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that Riqui under Xavi's tutelage may have a Xavi/Iniesta bloom.
While I rate Pedri and (in shape) Fati pretty high, I think Puig is the typical Barcelona fantasy who's vastly overrated because he looks like the kind of player Barça fans want to love. He's far from being a new Iniesta in my opinion. I could be wrong, nobody really knows, guess we'll see. Pedri showed far more at a younger age than Puig when he played at the end of the season 2 years ago under Setien.

Hoof the ball

While I rate Pedri and (in shape) Fati pretty high, I think Puig is the typical Barcelona fantasy who's vastly overrated because he looks like the kind of player Barça fans want to love. He's far from being a new Iniesta in my opinion. I could be wrong, nobody really knows, guess we'll see.
I think there's good reason for them to rate him. He walked in against Atletico and was excellent under Setien when he started and came off the bench. Koeman came in and just flat out refused to give him developmental minutes. What made it worse was that he'd give a lot of Puig's minutes to an inexperienced ilaix Moriba, who despite being physically more of a profile, was someway a less technically effective player. What's more bizarre is that Riqui came off the bench, played 25 minutes for Barcelona vs Juventus (Juve leading 3-0 at this point) for Koeman, and was bar none the best player on the field right until the end. Reward? Barely got another minute after that. So, whilst it's fair to question if there's overhype, it's equally unfair to make a determination on a talent who has been undermined every time he shone.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Has all the tools to be a hit at Barcelona - man who had to improve himself to become a legend and was a tactical genius on the pitch. Has a strong identity of how he wants the game to be played too. He will vibe with these new young technical talents they are bringing through.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Xavi has agreed to replace Ronald Koeman. All that is left now is for Barcelona to pay Al Sadd the release fee of 840,000 pounds.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feels a bit weird that we're now in that period of time where players we (well I, demographic is a little bit older generally speaking here) grew up watching like Xavi, Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard etc. are or have all been in managerial roles, with two of those at their former club now.

Zen86

Xavi's at the wheel. I'll wait for the online vitriol and bitterness he receives from the Barca fans in a years' time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: He's definitely the type. Remember "the grass was too long" memes?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Under Setien, Riqui Puig was fantastic at such a young age versus a very aggressive Atletico side. Played his heart out. Koeman came in and just didn't give him minutes.
I honestly don't rate him. Reminds me of Oleguer.