Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Barca manager - and will be next season

Hoof the ball

I think it should go to Pimienta (Barca B manager). Not only is Pimienta doing incredible work already within the Barca ranks, but he's also got them playing quintessential Barca football. It's more likely that the next Guardiola for them will more like be this guy.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi and Suarez, yes, they are still elite, though none of them has pace and workrate and the only one who does have it is permanently injured. I don't remember Démbéle playing 5 games in a row at Barca in 2 years.

Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal are all finished. Maybe Busquets can be revived with the right tactics for a season but generally he's been more bad than good since at least Euro 2016. Arthur barely played this season. Rumour is he has caught an STD and enjoys the party life too much. Barca deployed a midfield of Vidal-Rakitic-DeJong in the last Clasico. That reminded me of the Khedira-Diarra-Granero days of Real Madrid.

The fullbacks are mediocre. Since Dani Alves Barca have a rightback problem, neither Roberto nor Semedo are convincing. Alba looks horrible this season though he might be revived for a season or two as well.

Griezmann's position is not the left wing but he can't play anywhere else with Messi and Suarez in the team.

If Barca is still a top 5 club in the world it's mostly down to Messi and Suarez scoring and assisting every game. If both were to be injured from tomorrow until end of season, Barca would most likely struggle to get top 4 in Spain, let alone be top 5 in the world.

That's also why I don't get the hate for Valverde. People must be blinded by the former big names who are past it by now. Being in the pole position for 3 years in a row in the league and making CL semis and losing 3-4 overall against the best Liverpool team in decades is job very well done. I don't care that Barca "bottled" a lead. Barca were losing away from home in the CL years before Valverde. 0-3 to Juventus and 0-4 to PSG just the season prior under Luis Enrique.

Managers like Pep, Tuchel or Allegri can get knocked out by Monaco/Spurs, Manchester United's children team or Ajax and still be regarded as tactical geniuses. Funny how that works.
Yes, the team is carried by Suarez and Messi, I agree on that. However, I couldn't disagree more with the conclusions you make. It is a shame that such a talented squad has to be carried by those two players.

You claim Rakitic, Busquets, Alba and Vidal are finished. They are definitely playing like they are, true, but Busquets and Rakitic are 31, Vidal is 32 and Alba is 30. Meanwhile, 33 year old Modric won the Ballon D'Or playing in the exact same position as those guys do. And from those five, his style of play is most likely the most demanding speaking from a physical perspective. And those Barca players aren't just playing like seniors this season, they've already looked finished aged 28/29 as you yourself admitted regarding Busquets. So maybe they've just decreased quicker than anybody else in their position. Or maybe it is a matter of coaching?

However, even if you ignore those past-it players and factor out Messi, the team Valverde has at his disposal is absolutely elite. They just bought Griezmann and de Jong for not-so-small fortunes, Suarez scores like he wants, Arthur looked like Iniesta reincarnated last season. It's a shame that a team like that relies on Messi and Suarez to bail them out so heavily.

I also disagree that you can't fit those players into one squad. Yes, Griezmann is no left winger, but Messi is extremely versatile and can play as a false nine, second striker or playmaker. That would leave room for Griezmann on the right wing from where he could cut inside, having the ball on his strong foot. You could also play Messi as a 10 behind Suarez and Griezmann, like Sarri currently does with Cristiano, Dybala and Higuain. Just compare that to Pep, who sent Thierry fecking Henry to the left wing, played Fabregas as a false 10, turned Dani Alves into a player who covered RW and RB simultaneously and so forth.

Thing is, if you watch Valverde's Barca play it is painfully obvious that there's no identity, no shared game plan, no concept. They rely on individual quality so heavily. It's a collection of individual geniuses but together they are actually less than the sum of their parts. And that's down to Valverde. Under the right coach, this team would be lethal. And I'm not speaking of Guardiola or Klopp level of quality. Tuchel, Ten Haag, Sarri, etc. would already be enough to get much more out of them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
showed huge flaws that a manager can't have if he wants to perform at the level Real Madrid or Barcelona need to perform.
Yeah. i'm not arguing this
But in two and a half years he hasn't been able to accomodate players like Griezmann, Dembele, Coutinho or Arthur in the starting 11,
Because it's not easy. Because some of them simply make ZERO sense next to Messi and Suarez, and others were just wrong for the team's overall makeup. And still others are never fit...

I wouldn't even be shocked if Xavi came tomorrow and suddenly De Jong kicked up 2 levels his performances
Possible, though i seriously doubt that if he also tries to turn him into Iniesta

and he's also wasted great squad options like Semedo, Deulofeu, Alcacer, Malcom, Denis Suarez and lately Firpo and Aleña.
I mean, it seems to me that those guys are "great squad options" because barcelona signed them rather then because they are, y'know, actual great squad options...

He makes a good job working with workhorses like Lenglet, Vidal or Paulinho, and while you need that kind of players to win trophies, you need to mil the most from your creative ones, and he's failed to do it, not only that, when push comes to shove the kind of players he seems to extract the most from, like Paulinho or Vidal, don't even start in the bigger games.
He's getting the most out of Paulinho and Vidal because Paulinho and Vidal are complementary to Messi and Suarez. They're THE best midfielders you've had to play with Messi and Suarez

Which is why Messi and Suarez want Vidal to play every game and yes, it makes it baffling that he hasn't been a shoe-in starter for Valverde. That is one way he's messing up. Unsurprisingly Barcelona are MUCH better with Vidal on the pitch

We're not in your 17/18 January
I said 17/18, not january 17/18 :D

Your strikers don't defend, but you want to press anyways so the midfielders end up doing it individually, which is a lot easier to beat, and then said midfielders lack the pace and dynamism to get back in defensive transition after they're beat which turns Bisquets into a traffic cone and leaves the defence in near-desperate situations again and again

One of the reasons why you are a lot better with Vidal is that he's an effective one man press machine and good in defensive transition. So unless you make gross individual mistakes like against Atletico, your press and defence become much much better, which in turn means you have more control over the game and Messi can win a game with 2-3 plays instead of needing 10

We basically have all the pieces we need to shake this team up and start trying to do bold and beautiful football, yet we're being hold down but a manager that wants no risks
Because you don't have the pieces to play bold and beautiful winning football at CL level. If you try that against liverpool, you'd lose 12-3 on aggregate

while keeping a core of players clearly past it in our starting 11 everytime we face a real challenge.
Yep, this on the other hand has been a flaw of Valverde. Once again, right now your midfield should be Vidal+2. If you want to compete with the likes of Liverpool, that is

When you say we lack the mental flexibility you mean our players or our board?.
Both. The players still struggle accepting that the other team might be better and the usual playing style won't work. Valverde struggles to offer valid tactical alternatives

The board struggles to accept that it's not 2015 anymore

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
@giorno Please explain why those players don't "complement Messi"? Messi is actually a dream for every manager because you can play him at RW, CAM, F9, Second Striker without a drop in quality by any means. That makes it easy to work out line ups that allow his team mates to play in their favourite positions.

It's also bullshit that Vidal and Paulinho are the perfect partners for Messi since he had his inarguably best period at Barca with Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets playing behind him. And those players couldn't be more different to Vidal and Paulinho. In fact, de Jong, Arthur and Coutinho are MUCH closer to those players than Paulinho and Vidal ever were.

But Valverde is inable to utilize them in a manner that allows them to capitalize on their strengthes.

Cait Sith

I feel like mentioned in your post because you're replying something that was quoting my post.
I seriously did not mean to, even though I replied to a post that quoted yours. I didn't have you in mind at all as I don't know you at all. I rather had the huge international Social Media and Barcaforum community in mind where it's painfully obvious that they can't even be older than 16 years old from the way they write.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@giorno Please explain why those players don't "complement Messi"?
Dembele only plays with the ball and is a very individualistic player, except on Messi's team, Messi tends to have the ball

Griezmann is something of a poor man's Messi, another guy who needs more of the ball and freedom to roam

Btw, I didn't say Messi. I said Messi and Suarez

Also Coutinho was actually fine before hitting a rough patch and the entirety of barcelona collectively lost its shit over the fact he's not Neymar and hounded him out

Valverde didn't help

Messi is actually a dream for every manager because you can play him at RW, CAM, F9, Second Striker without a drop in quality by any means.
Not sure if serious :lol:

That makes it easy to work out line ups that allow his team mates to play in their favourite positions.
No, it doesn't. You really don't understand football at all, do you?

It's also bullshit that Vidal and Paulinho are the perfect partners for Messi since he had his inarguably best period at Barca with Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets playing behind him. And those players couldn't be more different to Vidal and Paulinho. In fact, de Jong, Arthur and Coutinho are MUCH closer to those players than Paulinho and Vidal ever were.
Once again, Messi AND Suarez

Also Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets were Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets. De Jong, Arthur and Coutinho aren't anywhere near that. They're not even all that similar

But Valverde is inable to utilize them in a manner that allows them to capitalize on their strengthes.
Because they actually don't have the strengths Xavi and Iniesta had. And because he has to account for Suarez. And because he doesn't have Dani Alves. And a myriad other reasons that go beyond "Valverde doesn't know what he's doing". He does. He's just not quite good enough for them

Bole Top

while I don't rate Valverde at all, I think appointing Xavi in 2020. is completely different thing compared to Barca's situation when Pep took over. they have 20 players in their squad. currently, 7 or 8 of them are definite starters and almost always in their first 11, but all of them are between 31-33 and will need to be replaced soon. Ter Stegen, Griezmann, De Jong, Semedo and Lenglet are the only ones below 30 that play regularly.

so that's basically 12 or 13 players that are actually usable at the moment, the rest are either youngsters or have huge question marks over them;

1.) Neto, Roberto, Fati will all stay as they are good options from the bench. Umtiti is finished, but I think they'll keep him as they lack experienced covers at the back.

2.) Coutinho will probably leave, Vidal is apparently already negotiating with Inter but I'm not sure about Dembele and Arthur.

3.) Firpo, Wague and Todibo who's close to joining Milan.

fresh start under Xavi sounds great, but there are much more uncertainties within the squad than it was the case when Pep arrived. as bad as Valverde is, the core of the squad is simply too old to play any different, while their bench is full of kids.

it's not the fact they're tied with Madrid that is bad, but the fact that Madrid is slowly rebuilding AND keeping up with them. it's Madrid who sold their best player. it's Madrid who are coming after bad season and bad pre-season. yet, Barca still can't shake them off even at their current state. they can only get better next year, Zidane can already be considered experienced manager at this point and their fans can look forward to seeing some of their talented players and how much will they improve.

with Barca it's different as their future hasn't even started. they always had pretty 'flawed' squad, but Messi and the rest of the core were so good that it simply didn't matter. Xavi will now get that squad in their oldest and slowest state and I'm leaning more to the belief he will fail.

Cait Sith

Yes, the team is carried by Suarez and Messi, I agree on that. However, I couldn't disagree more with the conclusions you make. It is a shame that such a talented squad has to be carried by those two players.

You claim Rakitic, Busquets, Alba and Vidal are finished. They are definitely playing like they are, true, but Busquets and Rakitic are 31, Vidal is 32 and Alba is 30. Meanwhile, 33 year old Modric won the Ballon D'Or playing in the exact same position as those guys do. And from those five, his style of play is most likely the most demanding speaking from a physical perspective. And those Barca players aren't just playing like seniors this season, they've already looked finished aged 28/29 as you yourself admitted regarding Busquets. So maybe they've just decreased quicker than anybody else in their position. Or maybe it is a matter of coaching?

However, even if you ignore those past-it players and factor out Messi, the team Valverde has at his disposal is absolutely elite. They just bought Griezmann and de Jong for not-so-small fortunes, Suarez scores like he wants, Arthur looked like Iniesta reincarnated last season. It's a shame that a team like that relies on Messi and Suarez to bail them out so heavily.

I also disagree that you can't fit those players into one squad. Yes, Griezmann is no left winger, but Messi is extremely versatile and can play as a false nine, second striker or playmaker. That would leave room for Griezmann on the right wing from where he could cut inside, having the ball on his strong foot. You could also play Messi as a 10 behind Suarez and Griezmann, like Sarri currently does with Cristiano, Dybala and Higuain. Just compare that to Pep, who sent Thierry fecking Henry to the left wing, played Fabregas as a false 10, turned Dani Alves into a player who covered RW and RB simultaneously and so forth.

Thing is, if you watch Valverde's Barca play it is painfully obvious that there's no identity, no shared game plan, no concept. They rely on individual quality so heavily. It's a collection of individual geniuses but together they are actually less than the sum of their parts. And that's down to Valverde. Under the right coach, this team would be lethal. And I'm not speaking of Guardiola or Klopp level of quality. Tuchel, Ten Haag, Sarri, etc. would already be enough to get much more out of them.
Busquets is playing elite level football since age 19 for club and country. He was 20 in 2009 when he played the CL final against United and 21 when he won the World Cup in 2010 with Spain. Since then Barca have played extremely demanding and consistent football for 10 straight years, winning league title after league title.

Modric only really came into his own when? After Mourinho era around 2015 in his mid twenties and even then Madrid only really bothered to play elite level football in a few knockout rounds per year. Busquets is done not because of tactics, he had a horror show already dating back to the 1-5 against Netherlands in 2014.

Alba is extremely relient on his physicality (pace). Other than that he doesn't have much else in his locker. Running for Messi diagonals and outpacing opponents. Without that, he is an average leftback. Physically he looks on the decline. But as I said, maybe another coach can get 1 or 2 more seasons out of him, sure.

Vidal is just not a Barca player. He's a bench option and his best days are over. He is nowhere near the Juventus Vidal and even then he was never a passing midfielder suited for Barca.

That leaves Barca with De Jong who is okay but still too young and Arthur who is also a big talent but seems to waste it.

IMO you overrate the Barca squad. There are some big names there on paper but almost all of them will retire within the next 2 or 3 seasons and have won it all for years. A coach like Xavi might actually get a last hooray out of them for simply being who he is and everyone at the club buzzing because of it. But that's it. It's a club that will be carried by Messi and Suarez then fall of a cliff like United post Fergie. Maybe not quite as bad but you get the drift.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Seems he declined the offer to replace Valverde right away which makes sense but he could still take the team in summer or next one.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Newest links are them trying to get Poch or giving in to their B team manager for the rest of the season. Really strangely ran club.

Eddy_JukeZ

Barcelona's squad can be overrated and Valverde can be an average manager.

Neither are mutually exclusive.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He is now where Zidane was 4 years ago. So can he be as successful manager as Zidane?
Nah, not straight away anyway. Zidane walked into a team with world class players in their prime. Xavi would have to deal with a declining Messi, Suarez, Busquets, Pique and Alba to name a few.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think it should go to Pimienta (Barca B manager). Not only is Pimienta doing incredible work already within the Barca ranks, but he's also got them playing quintessential Barca football. It's more likely that the next Guardiola for them will more like be this guy.
Barca's managerial appointments have generally been woeful so I wouldn't be surprised if they get this wrong as well.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Targeting Poch makes perfect sense, he'd be an actual proven manager at the highest level which they hadn't had since Van Gaal. He was adamant that he would never coach Barcelona, but as they say, talk is cheap. Extend an offer and roll the dice.

NYAS

Xavi isn’t ready yet. He’s hasn’t been brilliant as a manager over here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Xavi isn’t ready yet. He’s hasn’t been brilliant as a manager over here.
Xavi has something extremely few people have: The immediate respect of the dressing room at Barca. They'll go to war for him.

NYAS

Xavi has something extremely few people have: The immediate respect of the dressing room at Barca. They'll go to war for him.
Not sure that’s enough in management. He’s had the most stacked team in the country, one of the best in the region in terms of talent and hasn’t done as well as he should have.

Not saying he’d fail at Barca; but if we’re talking about “what has he done to prove himself”...not much.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Not sure that’s enough in management. He’s had the most stacked team in the country, one of the best in the region in terms of talent and hasn’t done as well as he should have.

Not saying he’d fail at Barca; but if we’re talking about “what has he done to prove himself”...not much.
It worked for Zidane

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
All he really knows is Barca and Spain. It's sometimes hard to translate what you know to a club that isn't at a similar level. Some parts of managing Barca will be easier because all he saw in his career was managers managing Barcelona.

edcunited1878

The best players rarely make the best or even good managers. And managers/coaches are only as good as the quality of their players.

Barca doesn't have the quality of players currently that Xavi was around when he was a player. Their best players are aging and well past their peak. Also, is Xavi a short-term fix manager who is taking orders from the directors/Barca board or is he able to make his mark on the team along with the board?

They need to recruit a lot better talent according to how they want to play with a mix of young players and experienced players...with an eye on life without Messi, Suarez, and Pique. I can only see Neymar coming back to Barca and being their post-Messi savior along with 5 or so other talent players who can play together and support Neymar if that were to happen.

Wreh

Supports
Arsenal
I always hated this prick. i remember the interviews he used to do every week about Fabregas and his obsession with "barca dna".

AneRu

All he really knows is Barca and Spain. It's sometimes hard to translate what you know to a club that isn't at a similar level. Some parts of managing Barca will be easier because all he saw in his career was managers managing Barcelona.
Agree with this, he knows the club inside out and the club has resources that his current employers can only dream of. Couple those two with his legendary status the squad will move through brick walls for him and fans would be more lenient.

If he is smart he'd hire an accomplished assistant to do the tactics and handle sessions. Zidane hasn't been a tactical revelation a la Guardiola or Klopp but his ability to command respect from a dressing room full of stars has him as one the most successful managers in the game today.

RoyH1

I always hated this prick. i remember the interviews he used to do every week about Fabregas and his obsession with "barca dna".
And the quality (or lack of) of the pitch. Never heard a player ramble on so much about grass length and quality.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Some of the current players were his team mates back in the days. I think is too soon.

mu4c_20le

More interested in seeing how blanc does, man hasn't coached in nearly five years

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Let's see how it sounds for another guy a few months ago.

I think it should go to Quique Setien (Betis manager). Not only Quique Setien is doing incredible work already in Primera, but he's also got Betis playing quintenssential Cruyffesque possession based Barca football, unlike this donkey Valverde that makes Barca look like Athletic Barcelona. It's more likely that the next Guardiola for them will more like be this guy.

Sorry, I had to do it :D

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
And the quality (or lack of) of the pitch. Never heard a player ramble on so much about grass length and quality.
I dont think i have ever heard Xavi admit that they deserved to lose, after a loss.
"Football lost today", "possession", "grass was too tall/short" and so on, maybe it wasnt always the case, but it certainly felt like it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I actually think Setien sure was an improvement. Barca are a bit inconsistent under him but on the other hand, they've also had games during which they displayed great team attacking football not seen under Valverde. The last one against Alavez is a good example of that.

Not saying Setien should remain in charge but the football is more attractive and maybe they would get more consistent with more time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Basically,Barca need a Ole or better yet a Klopp.
Someone who will come in and just tidy the place up. May not be pretty at first and that individual may not bring instant success the new foundation will hopefully be built upon but ,again, that club needs to have a complete overhaul and a revaluation on their 'philosophy' .
I'm not sure Blanc should be that guy though. Seems like Barca are just papering over the cracks yet again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's inevitable Xavi will get the job in next 5 years. I assume he'll manage first somewhere else in europe as Luis Enrique did at Roma and Celta Vigo. Let's be honest though Barca aren't really a club that appoints managers who have vast european experience.

Rijkaard, Enrique, Pep, Martino, Setien all examples of this. Valverde was probably most qualified with all his years in europa league and odd one in champions league.

What is difference with Xavi coming in shortly is he dosen't have a 21 year old Messi to work with, indeed Messi might not even be there anymore when the time comes so vast difference.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I actually think Setien sure was an improvement. Barca are a bit inconsistent under him but on the other hand, they've also had games during which they displayed great team attacking football not seen under Valverde. The last one against Alavez is a good example of that.

Not saying Setien should remain in charge but the football is more attractive and maybe they would get more consistent with more time.
Still rubbish away against any decent top half team.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It worked for Zidane
The problem isn't that Xavi is inexperienced, but Barca fans should/could be worried about the inevitability of him becoming manager. Nobody seems to even question if he is a good pick.

Zidane didn't imminently rush into a job as manager. Only after he started to manage their second team, it was more or less clear that he'd get the job at some point. That was years after his retirement. One big benefit is, that he wasn't actively playing with any of the active players. They only knew him as exec/assistant coach. He also had time to try different things and to prepare. He was appointed in a crisis and expectations were somewhat tempered. Nobody knew how it would go and in a world where he would have failed, he would have been replaced soon without much trouble at the end of the season. He could have gone back to working for the club in as exec/representative.

At this point, short of murdering his players, Xavi is shoe in as manager and thats looming ever since he left Barca as player. He isn't a crisis-replacement, but apparently going to fix all problems on his own. He is very close to all the ageing players and the way he has to play football is more or less set in stone. Suarez, Busquets and Pique are not getting any younger and the next manager has to deal with them. Its just very hard for me to see how Xavi is able to make controversial/tough choices to refresh the team. Maybe I am totally misjudging his personality. Overall expectations are way too high. Additionally all of that sounds too much of an attempt to recreate a specific approach that worked in the past instead of bringing something new to the table. I don't mean that Barca should abandon their identity, but the next manager has to come up with his interpretation of this type of football, because the current team doesn't have Xavi, Iniesta and a young Messi in the squad.

I don't think his current managerial work tells us much one way or the other, but I'd be surprised if Xavi can be successful with all his baggage.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The problem isn't that Xavi is inexperienced, but Barca fans should/could be worried about the inevitability of him becoming manager. Nobody seems to even question if he is a good pick.

Zidane didn't imminently rush into a job as manager. Only after he started to manage their second team, it was more or less clear that he'd get the job at some point. That was years after his retirement. One big benefit is, that he wasn't actively playing with any of the active players. They only knew him as exec/assistant coach. He also had time to try different things and to prepare. He was appointed in a crisis and expectations were somewhat tempered. Nobody knew how it would go and in a world where he would have failed, he would have been replaced soon without much trouble at the end of the season. He could have gone back to working for the club in as exec/representative.

At this point, short of murdering his players, Xavi is shoe in as manager and thats looming ever since he left Barca as player. He isn't a crisis-replacement, but apparently going to fix all problems on his own. He is very close to all the ageing players and the way he has to play football is more or less set in stone. Suarez, Busquets and Pique are not getting any younger and the next manager has to deal with them. Its just very hard for me to see how Xavi is able to make controversial/tough choices to refresh the team. Maybe I am totally misjudging his personality. Overall expectations are way too high. Additionally all of that sounds too much of an attempt to recreate a specific approach that worked in the past instead of bringing something new to the table. I don't mean that Barca should abandon their identity, but the next manager has to come up with his interpretation of this type of football, because the current team doesn't have Xavi, Iniesta and a young Messi in the squad.

I don't think his current managerial work tells us much one way or the other, but I'd be surprised if Xavi can be successful with all his baggage.
The board and Barca fans questioned Peps appointment, they thought it was suicide and he wasn't up to the job.
They were wrong.
The players want Xavi, the board want Xavi, the fans want Xavi, it's a match which will bring out the best in the young players they have.
It's Cruyff mk.3.
It will bring back the principles Pep evolved at Barca, it will bring back a more tactical outlook which I feel they have missed since pep left.
I'd rather have a Xavi rebuilding then an outsider who is new to the club personally.
I guess only time will tell.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So what has his managerial career been like so far? Playing style? Etc

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Setien was a slight improvement in the period before the lockdown and then a massive downgrade post-lockdown

But the idea that barcelona didn't have great displays under Valverde is ridiculous. 3-0 at the bernabeu, first manager i've seen to outright outcoach Zidane, 4-2 at wembley against spurs, plenty more. Hell, even his last game in charge was probably the best attacking performance barcelona had against atletico madrid in years

As for Xavi, if they give him the job now the big question will be whether he has the strength to make big decisions or deal with certain expectations

The fact of the matter is Messi is about to turn 33. Time is running out, they can't go into a years long rebuild, they need to win now

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Jijantes announced on October 3 that the chosen one was XAVI HERNANDEZ. It remains to finish tying a few fringes, but he is the one chosen after Koeman's dismissal. We are counting it in

SuperiorXI

Saw a little bit of footage of his current team, they're easy on the eye. But Barcelona is a juggernaut of a club, can he make the step up? It's a huge change in expectation.

Blood Mage

I always thought he'd make a great manager one day, not just a genius on the pitch but so knowledgeable about the game off it too. Just like Pep.