Gaming Xbox Game Pass

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
in its current form it must be losing them a hell of a lot of money. It's definitely not sustainable. I think the model is clearly the "Netflix" model which is get as many people subscribed as possible and then steadily increase prices. They'll probably see it that by the time the prices do keep going up people will be so invested on the games they have there (i.e. if they have loads of Sea of Thieves type games) that they won't want to give it up.

I'd be shocked if, in 4-5 years, prices haven't at least doubled. But by then the library of exclusives and such will probably have doubled too, from zero, to one.
I don't doubt you're right but the fact you can buy games on the store makes it a little different. They'll have to play it smart cause 'o that.

Registered property of Vidyoyo c. 2021.

Abraxas

I've got this for FM21 and Flight Sim at the moment, both of which would take quite a number of weeks of £8 in order to buy. Especially with the promotional 3 month offer.

I think it depends what type of gamer you are really. If you buy long or open ended games and play it to death the Game Pass model isn't so appealing, especially on PC where cheap keys are available. It's easy to buy a time sink for next to nothing and play it for ages. But for people that constantly chop and change it's a good deal.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
in its current form it must be losing them a hell of a lot of money. It's definitely not sustainable. I think the model is clearly the "Netflix" model which is get as many people subscribed as possible and then steadily increase prices. They'll probably see it that by the time the prices do keep going up people will be so invested on the games they have there (i.e. if they have loads of Sea of Thieves type games) that they won't want to give it up.

I'd be shocked if, in 4-5 years, prices haven't at least doubled. But by then the library of exclusives and such will probably have doubled too, from zero, to one.
Zero to one isn't doubling dude. Just saying.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Costs will of course rise over time, there's no doubt about it.

But -
  • Over time, Xbox will rely less on 3rd party licensing and more their own 1st party content, which will be cheaper
  • There will be more games built with Gamepass in mind, service games, episodic games, expansion games - games that keep people sub'd and that generate additional revenue through up-sells
  • As standard, people will be paying full price subscription - currently, lots are benefitting from the £1 upgrade
  • They see huge headroom in the number of gamers that access Gamepass vs those who buy an Xbox. They want to benefit from the 2bn gamers globally that don't connect via console but via laptop, phone or (soon) smart tv. The cost of the content won't increase with rising subscribers (& in many cases will decrease), only things like server cost which MS is well set up to support
  • This will always be a smaller revenue stream for MS vs some of their others, so there is every chance that they can focus on revenue growth long term and subscriber numbers that align with proxy marketing metrics that Microsoft have (& that the stock market loves), without having the same pressures around profitability

Source - I work for with Microsoft

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I just completed 100% on Streets of Rage 4. The 5 million lifetime points was a bit of a grind but the game is awesome. Brought back so many childhood memories.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Something pulled me back into outriders even with the poor performance. It appears they've patched it and it's much better now. Really enjoying it again.

Shark

@NotShark
Something pulled me back into outriders even with the poor performance. It appears they've patched it and it's much better now. Really enjoying it again.
On the Series X? I've had excellent performance since day one aside from server related stuff.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
On the Series X? I've had excellent performance since day one aside from server related stuff.
Nope, base Xbox one :lol: I wasn't sure if it was actual dreadful performance, or if server issues were making it worse than it seemed.

Shark

@NotShark
Nope, base Xbox one :lol: I wasn't sure if it was actual dreadful performance, or if server issues were making it worse than it seemed.
Ah right, yeah difficult to know at times :lol:
Good to know it's patched up now now anyway, developers really seem to be on the ball.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ah right, yeah difficult to know at times :lol:
Good to know it's patched up now now anyway, developers really seem to be on the ball.
Yeah definitely, didn't expect any performance fixes for the old consoles tbh, especially the original Xbox one. Pleasantly surprised by it. Bucketloads of fun, and not over complicated like some looter shooters either.

I nearly got the series S the other day just to play this. Dunno why it's hooked me.

Just beat the first "boss" I think, a big feckoff slider thing. Think I'm level 12 and on world tier 6 atm

Shark

@NotShark
Yeah definitely, didn't expect any performance fixes for the old consoles tbh, especially the original Xbox one. Pleasantly surprised by it. Bucketloads of fun, and not over complicated like some looter shooters either.

I nearly got the series S the other day just to play this. Dunno why it's hooked me.

Just beat the first "boss" I think, a big feckoff slider thing. Think I'm level 12 and on world tier 6 atm
It's great fun yeah, the abilities are satisfying to use also. Was the first boss that electricity fecker? I faced him with a friend in the demo and it must of taken us around six attempts :lol:
The Series S is definitely impressing me on YouTube comparisons ect. such a beast for its price. You definitely couldn't go wrong picking one up.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's great fun yeah, the abilities are satisfying to use also. Was the first boss that electricity fecker? I faced him with a friend in the demo and it must of taken us around six attempts :lol:
The Series S is definitely impressing me on YouTube comparisons ect. such a beast for its price. You definitely couldn't go wrong picking one up.
Not sure about the electric dude, just thought he was a captain? They seem like mini bosses. Don't remember having any trouble with him what so ever. I'm gonna YouTube him now and check if I do remember him properly.

Edit: yeah I remember him, not an issue for me at all, he was one of the easier ones :lol:

Shark

@NotShark
Not sure about the electric dude, just thought he was a captain? They seem like mini bosses. Don't remember having any trouble with him what so ever. I'm gonna YouTube him now and check if I do remember him properly.

Edit: yeah I remember him, not an issue for me at all, he was one of the easier ones :lol:
Yeah maybe he was just a captain, he had an intro and everything though and a name beginning with R I think. I think we were either just not equipped properly or it was the booze but we found it difficult to deal with him :lol: Since then I've been playing the full game myself and around the volcano level now. Flying bird things have just appeared.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yeah maybe he was just a captain, he had an intro and everything though and a name beginning with R I think. I think we were either just not equipped properly or it was the booze but we found it difficult to deal with him :lol: Since then I've been playing the full game myself and around the volcano level now. Flying bird things have just appeared.
Those things were annoying, thought I was going to die during that, but somehow managed it first try too.

What class are you playing ? I went technomancer as knew I'd be a solo player pretty much.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just done the 2nd boss on outriders I think, sure it cheated me. Had it down to no health bar for ages and just didn't die, then hits me with some mad cheat move to kill me. :lol:

Ainu

Does anyone here have any experience with downloading EA Play games through the Game Pass app on PC? If I try to download, it just opens the EA Play beta app and only gives me paid membership options. I've followed the instructions to link my EA and Xbox Live accounts but that didn't change anything, it still tells me I need to pay an EA Play subscription to access the games. It's supposed to be included in my Game Pass subscription at no further cost, but what is the fecking point if I can't access it? These apps on PC are truly awful.

BristolRuss

Does anyone here have any experience with downloading EA Play games through the Game Pass app on PC? If I try to download, it just opens the EA Play beta app and only gives me paid membership options. I've followed the instructions to link my EA and Xbox Live accounts but that didn't change anything, it still tells me I need to pay an EA Play subscription to access the games. It's supposed to be included in my Game Pass subscription at no further cost, but what is the fecking point if I can't access it? These apps on PC are truly awful.
It's worked fine for me so far. Do you have Game Pass Ultimate or just the console Game Pass?

BristolRuss

Just the regular Xbox Game Pass for PC, not Ultimate. But it should work for that as well I think.
Yeah that should be fine I think. Are you trying to install the games via the Xbox app or the EA Play app? I think you need to do it via the Xbox app.

Ainu

Yeah that should be fine I think. Are you trying to install the games via the Xbox app or the EA Play app? I think you need to do it via the Xbox app.
I click install in the Xbox app and it automatically opens de EA Play app to the game's page (Crysis 3 in this case). The first time I clicked that, I got a pop up to install the EA Play app. And then I just get options to buy it or get an EA subscription, no option to download it.

BristolRuss

I click install in the Xbox app and it automatically opens de EA Play app to the game's page (Crysis 3 in this case). The first time I clicked that, I got a pop up to install the EA Play app. And then I just get options to buy it or get an EA subscription, no option to download it.
Weird. Sounds like it hasn't linked your accounts correctly then. Maybe try that process again and make sure you're linking the right accounts?

Ainu

Weird. Sounds like it hasn't linked your accounts correctly then. Maybe try that process again and make sure you're linking the right accounts?
How did you link your accounts? In the Xbox app under linked accounts, all other types of accounts (Steam, Discord, etc) have an option to "link" (don't know the exact term, it's not in English), while for EA there's only the option "manage" which redirects me to an EA help page. There it says to login on that page with your Xbox Live account, which I did. It's not showing up as linked in the Xbox app in the same way that my Steam and Discord accounts are linked. But then if I look here https://myaccount.ea.com/cp-ui/aboutme/index, it does show my PSN and Xbox Live accounts as linked. It's such a frustrating and unintuitive process.

Ainu

I uninstalled both the EA and Xbox apps and downloaded the Xbox app again. After logging in it told me I had to sign up to Game Pass, even though I was already signed up. I actually signed up again, and now it's working. What the actual feck? I need to check that I'm not actually paying twice now. What an absolute mess this is.

Balljy

I uninstalled both the EA and Xbox apps and downloaded the Xbox app again. After logging in it told me I had to sign up to Game Pass, even though I was already signed up. I actually signed up again, and now it's working. What the actual feck? I need to check that I'm not actually paying twice now. What an absolute mess this is.
The app is a joke and it using the Windows store to download causes so many problems. I had exactly the same as you initially where it was opening the EA App and telling me the payment options. I uninstalled the EA app and installed it again and then it started working perfectly.

I found out yesterday that you can't uninstall the EA Games via Game Pass or the EA App, they have to be uninstalled manually in Windows via the Add or Remove Programs feature.