Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bojan11

In the 2019 reveal video, Xbox cloud architect Kareem Choudhry said Scarlett could "eat monsters for breakfast," and indeed, Anaconda looks as though it will be able to. According to several sources familiar with Microsoft's plans, Anaconda is targeting around 12 teraflops (TF) of computing power, compared to the Xbox One X's 6TF, and the Xbox One S's 1.2. Lockhart conversely will sport around 4TF, and according to marketing materials we've seen previously, it is being positioned as the most-affordable entry point to next-gen experiences.
Both Lockhart and Anaconda reportedly sport eight CPU cores targetting around 3.5GHz, with Anaconda reaching a bit higher per core than Lockhart. The relatively modest increase in clock speed over the previous-gen systems may seem mild, but vast improvements to caching, new silicon architecture, and other general bespoke, proprietary optimizations will see Anaconda perform anywhere up to four to five times better than the Xbox One X, if targets are met. We're told that Scarlett will guarantee 13GB of RAM for games, with 3GB on the OS a total of 16GB. The X, by comparison, offered a "maximum" of 9GB for games, which often varied based on what the OS was doing.

Games with load times anywhere up to a minute will be reduced to mere seconds as a result of these SSDs, and the inclusion of Project XCloud across all Xbox systems will allow you to start gaming via streaming while waiting for games to download locally.

Console revealed

Bojan11

• This is what was previously known as Project Scarlett
  • Fastest, most powerful Xbox ever made and will lead the next generation for the Xbox brand as their flagship console
  • Devs around the world already are building games for it
  • All fifteen Xbox Game Studios are developing exclusive games as we speak
  • Hellblade 2 is the very first of these first-party Xbox Series X games and the trailer was captured on the Xbox Series X

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Devs around the world.... loved that terms.

I'm not rushing, xbox problem isnt machine capability but lack of appealing game. Unless that started to change and the big boys of game devs starts making games for xbox I'm in playstation camp.

Also... with today's technology sony wont be that far behind, it's not like they're lagging too far behind. It's just put the bestest component into one box. Hardly anything next gen ground breaking

Rooney1987

I actually quite like the design, name however can't they just stick with Scarlett or something.

Leg-End

What’s so hard about not naming these things terribly?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Just looks like a fecking desktop PC.

Can't see how they'll possibly sell it for less than £450-500 with specs like that.

Parma Dewol

Like how sleek and uncluttered the exterior is, but how's it going to look laid flat? Need to see some more pictures but an interesting start and I kinda like the Series branding, it'll be commonly known as the Xbox X, won't it? Or XX, and one would think there'll be an Xbox Series S, also referred to as Xbox S, or XS.

Castia

looks pretty cool.

You can lay it on the side or stand it up like a PC. The specs look powerful and they currently have 15 studios making exclusive games, along with the gamepass and new streaming service they are in a good position going into next gen.

Bojan11

12 Teraflops
Custom RDNA 2 & Zen 2 Processor
Variable Rate Shading
Hardware Accelerated DirectX Raytracing
Custom Built SSD
Quick Resume for Multiple Games
Dynamic Latency Input HDMI 2.1
Auto Low Latency Mode
Variable Refresh Rate
120 FPS Support

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-24-microsoft-confirms-xbox-series-x-has-12-teraflops-gpu

Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.
Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.
SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.
Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.

Bojan11

PS5 is rumoured to be 9tf. But MS must feel confident in the power game to drop all this this info right now.

Bojan11

Cyberpunk are the first of many I hope who will not be charging for updates.

Adamsk7

How much are 12 floppy ones gonna cost me? My guess is £499

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
An interesting approach from Microsoft in how they are drip feeding the reveal. They appear to be on the right track and certainly seems to have more people talking positively about this console than when they revealed the previous one.

Looking forward to see how the PS5 shapes up. An interesting few months no doubt

Ainu

I find that loading video difficult to believe. What game takes a full minute to load these days?
Out of curiosity I just timed how long it takes to load a save from the title screen in AC: Odyssey on my PS4 Pro. I shit you not: exactly 2 full minutes. There's also a 55 second, unskippable wait (logos and stuff) when loading up the game until you get to a first splash screen where you have to pres X, and another full minute wait from that point to the title screen. So from the PS4 home menu, it takes you at least about 4 minutes to start playing. It's one of the worst offenders for sure.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Loading time looks impressive now, but I'm sure that by the end of the next generation we'll have games with big loading times again due to the games being more bloated.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Updates are more annoying than load times, maybe I've just gotten used to load times because they've been that way since the 90s.

Rooney1987

Out of curiosity I just timed how long it takes to load a save from the title screen in AC: Odyssey on my PS4 Pro. I shit you not: exactly 2 full minutes. There's also a 55 second, unskippable wait (logos and stuff) when loading up the game until you get to a first splash screen where you have to pres X, and another full minute wait from that point to the title screen. So from the PS4 home menu, it takes you at least about 4 minutes to start playing. It's one of the worst offenders for sure.
GTA 5 still takes a dogs ages to start up to do anything on Xbox One X. You'd think they get it down 10 plus mins in 7 years.

SirAF

Ageist
Updates are more annoying than load times, maybe I've just gotten used to load times because they've been that way since the 90s.
True. I play so rarely that whenever I turn on my Xbox there's a crapton of updates to be downloaded and installed :mad:

paulscholes18

I find that loading video difficult to believe. What game takes a full minute to load these days?
Take you don’t play destiny 2 then, takes about a minute just to get to load the inventory page to swap weapons and well over a minute to load into a different planet

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Loading time looks impressive now, but I'm sure that by the end of the next generation we'll have games with big loading times again due to the games being more bloated.
Talking about this, I swear the size of Red Dead has led to developers not giving a feck anymore.
Feel like there’s loads more games hitting big numbers since.

Rooney1987

Not a fan of the 1TB but I guess it's to keep the price down and the Series X will need proprietary cards to expand space. You can use external drives although you can only play Xbox One/360 games from it on a Series X and downloads can be stored in externals but need to be move to the console or the proprietary cards to play.

Bojan11

The proprietary cards will be expensive but look neat. They look like PS2 memory cards.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
That's weird about the memory cards. Is there a reason they've done that? Is there a speed issue with external HDDs?

Feels quite anti consumer for the MS of the last few years. 1tb is absolutely nothing.

Rooney1987

The proprietary cards will be expensive but look neat. They look like PS2 memory cards.
They do look nice, if the price isn't too bad isn't not a big issue.

I wonder how much the Series X will cost looking at the spec it has to be 600+ right? If they can get it to 500 that'd be a bargain for whats in it.

Bojan11

They do look nice, if the price isn't too bad isn't not a big issue.

I wonder how much the Series X will cost looking at the spec it has to be 600+ right? If they can get it to 500 that'd be a bargain for whats in it.
Rumour has it with the shortages they going to be charging a more premium price initially and could drop it down a few months later.

The way MS are going I can see this having a limited launch this year. Maybe USA and UK only. Foxconn look to be back up, so from the production side they could be fine. The software side will be the issue. So many dev teams working from home or closing. So the launch games for both consoles are going to be impacted. Even yearly games like FIFA will suffer.

I don’t see PS5 coming out this year unless corona goes quiet. Which does not seem likely at the moment.

Bojan11

That's weird about the memory cards. Is there a reason they've done that? Is there a speed issue with external HDDs?

Feels quite anti consumer for the MS of the last few years. 1tb is absolutely nothing.
There were rumours Sony were going to do it with the PS5. They did do it with the vita. So would not surprise me if they joined in as they been hyping up loading times on the PS5.

And yes it’s down to the speeds of the external HDDs. Agree 1tb is nothing, but they do give you the option of downloading single player or multiplayer and even deleting one when you are done.