Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
thinking of getting the S on black friday if there are any bundle deals with headphones, extra controller etc, is the S worth it or should I just be buying the X, general gamer, not hardcore, will probably do the gamepass hack to get ultimate so not bothered about physical copies of games.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
thinking of getting the S on black friday if there are any bundle deals with headphones, extra controller etc, is the S worth it or should I just be buying the X, general gamer, not hardcore, will probably do the gamepass hack to get ultimate so not bothered about physical copies of games.
The Series S is a cracking wee thing, you'll enjoy it. But in terms of the financials, the X offers far better value for money.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If you're not going to play it that much, the S will be fine for the odd GP game. If it's your main machine or plan to play it a lot I would go for the X.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The Series S is a cracking wee thing, you'll enjoy it. But in terms of the financials, the X offers far better value for money.
If you're not going to play it that much, the S will be fine for the odd GP game. If it's your main machine or plan to play it a lot I would go for the X.
hmmm, I'd play it a fair bit I'll see, could buy the S and then get the X at a later date and flog the S I suppose, I'll see what's available around Black Friday, think mainly it'll be playing with the kid on Sea of Thieves cross play as he's more PC gamer than console.

And I do love battlefield so will play the new Battlefield game.

DavelinaJolie

So The Gunk is getting released in December. I'm interested, the Steamworld games are pretty good.

Traub

hmmm, I'd play it a fair bit I'll see, could buy the S and then get the X at a later date and flog the S I suppose, I'll see what's available around Black Friday, think mainly it'll be playing with the kid on Sea of Thieves cross play as he's more PC gamer than console.

And I do love battlefield so will play the new Battlefield game.
Buy an X if you’re going to invest past gamepass i.e. actually buy games. If it’s only a gamepass machine, get the S.

Ainu

Buy an X if you’re going to invest past gamepass i.e. actually buy games. If it’s only a gamepass machine, get the S.
Don't know about that, game pass games obviously benefit just as much from the additional horsepower as any other games. Take Forza Horizon 5 for example, that's a game pass flagship title but if you want 60 fps - not an unnecessary luxury for a racing game - on the Series S you're stuck at 1080p. Especially with all MS games coming the game pass day and date, you can easily fill your time without spending past that for it to be worth getting the premium experience.

I'd simply argue it depends on your TV or whether you're planning to upgrade. Basically the question is how much do you care about image quality.

Traub

Don't know about that, game pass games obviously benefit just as much from the additional horsepower as any other games. Take Forza Horizon 5 for example, that's a game pass flagship title but if you want 60 fps - not an unnecessary luxury for a racing game - on the Series S you're stuck at 1080p. Especially with all MS games coming the game pass day and date, you can easily fill your time without spending past that for it to be worth getting the premium experience.

I'd simply argue it depends on your TV or whether you're planning to upgrade. Basically the question is how much do you care about image quality.
You are right, I was probably making some sweeping assumptions - the main one being that someone who doesn't plan on spending any money past gamepass is likely to be a casual gamer (just a handful of hours of gaming a week on average), which means they wouldn't be that concerned about fps etc.

I bought the S and honestly it's been great. Having said that, I'm literally the example I mentioned above. Every now and again I'll play a few hours just to scratch that gaming itch.

Abraxas

Dragon Quest is on Game Pass, for some reason this escaped my attention the first time I scrolled through the Game Pass options - sometimes attempting to filter out the rubbish incurs faults. A good straight forward JRPG, of which there are not many on there outside the FF franchise so I would recommend this to fans of the genre.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Left Forza in the middle of a river in a buggy 2 days ago. Can confirm just started it up in seconds and was still in said river.

Forza quick resume. Pun intended.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There are definitely times when quick resume doesn’t work for me. It happened with Forza for the first time earlier. But it’s still an amazing feature that works most of the time.

Adamsk7

Sold my Series X for £500 - new Series X Halo edition coming Monday for £479. What a weird world we live in

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Dragon Quest is on Game Pass, for some reason this escaped my attention the first time I scrolled through the Game Pass options - sometimes attempting to filter out the rubbish incurs faults. A good straight forward JRPG, of which there are not many on there outside the FF franchise so I would recommend this to fans of the genre.
It's true that there's not many RPGs but I had a really tough time with DQ11. The gameplay is very simple and the story is incredibly slow to get going. I gave up about 15 hours in and couldn't say I cared about anything that happened during that time (or even remember really, outside of Sylvando's theatrics).

The music irritated me massively and there's a story behind it because the composer - who has since died - wasn't particularly well when he made it. The overworld theme with the brass stuff plays on what feels like a constant loop every 30 seconds. I turned it off eventually as it felt like my ears were being attacked.

Edit - I don't mean to sound too dismissive. The nice thing about Game Pass is how you can try it out these games and if it works for you then great, no money spent.

It's not on gamepass but I'd like to recommend Lost Odyssey for anybody who likes FF. That's an excellent game and holds up very well :)

Last edited:

Abraxas

It's true that there's not many RPGs but I had a really tough time with DQ11. The gameplay is very simple and the story is incredibly slow to get going. I gave up about 15 hours in and couldn't say I cared about anything that happened during that time (or even remember really, outside of Sylvando's theatrics).

The music irritated me massively and there's a story behind it because the composer - who has since died - wasn't particularly well when he made it. The overworld theme with the brass stuff plays on what feels like a constant loop every 30 seconds. I turned it off eventually as it felt like my ears were being attacked.

Edit - I don't mean to sound too dismissive. The nice thing about Game Pass is how you can try it out these games and if it works for you then great, no money spent.

It's not on gamepass but I'd like to recommend Lost Odyssey for anybody who likes FF. That's an excellent game and holds up very well :)

You're right for sure, the music is repetitive and the gameplay is extremely simple. No arguing with that.

But I don't always care about complex mechanics. It depends on the game. I think there's a time for everything. For a fairly whimsical game like this I think it's just supposed to be an easy, casual experience while scratching the itch for a few RPG elements.

There are all the FF games too of course, of which there are quite a few I've never played. Think Dragon Age Inquisition is on there, and Skryim of course.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
You're right for sure, the music is repetitive and the gameplay is extremely simple. No arguing with that.

But I don't always care about complex mechanics. It depends on the game. I think there's a time for everything. For a fairly whimsical game like this I think it's just supposed to be an easy, casual experience while scratching the itch for a few RPG elements.

There are all the FF games too of course, of which there are quite a few I've never played. Think Dragon Age Inquisition is on there, and Skryim of course.
Yeah it does seem that way and perhaps I was simply caught out expecting more. I've since learned that the simple, classic adventure style is something the DQ series is renowned for :)

Also that song has been stuck in my head all evening :mad:

Ainu

The music is a real issue but if it's the "S" version, you should be able to set the overworld music to DQ VIII, which had a great tune. Beyond that, yes the game takes an incredibly long time to get going but I still felt it's worth sticking with. The gameplay stops being very simple once you have full cast with access to a load of abilities, but it takes time. Like, easily 30+ hours into the game. It also significantly shakes up your options at certain points in the story. And the story definitely picks up eventually. All in all well worth it.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Wait is that it? 20 years anniversary and they show the Halo multiplayer.
Yeah pretty big news for halo fans

My Xbox has now crashed though, so I mustn’t be the one trying to access it

I’m just getting a blue screen and it won’t download for me

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Its only a 200mb launcher at the moment, the full download isnt available from what I can tell, so just a placeholder (hence blue screen). The console itself isn't crashing.

Hopefully live soon.

Buzzing!

AaronRedDevil

Just thought it would be something new. Not the same thing in 20 years. New games and whatnot. Even a hellblade preview.

Fully Fledged

Its only a 200mb launcher at the moment, the full download isnt available from what I can tell, so just a placeholder (hence blue screen). The console itself isn't crashing.

Hopefully live soon.

Buzzing!
Check for updates. 25gb update downloading.

Alock1

Just thought it would be something new. Not the same thing in 20 years. New games and whatnot. Even a hellblade preview.
They managed expectations up front and still released Halo multiplayer early which is huge (even bigger with the state of cod and Battlefield this year), added a ton more backwards compatible games and did FPS boost on a bunch more.

There's TGA soon which will reach wider audience than existing core xbox fans where they may show stuff off. But in current landscape with covid, every dev is being careful to not stretch resources to just show stuff for the sake of it.

Alock1

-50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
-Aces of the Galaxy
-Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
-Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?: Make the Grade
-Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth
-Bankshot Billiards 2
-Beautiful Katamari
-Binary Domain
-Black College Football: BCFX The Experience
-Cloning Clyde
-Conan
-Darwinia+
-Dead or Alive 4
-Death by Cube
-Disney Universe
-Elements of Destruction
-FEAR
-FEAR 2: Project Origin
-FEAR 3
-FEAR Files
-The First Templar
-Islands of Wakfu
-Lego: Lord of the Rings
-Max Payne 3
-Mini Ninjas
-Mortal Kombat 9
-Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
-MX vs. ATV Alive
-MX vs. ATV Untamed
-Nier
-Novadrome
-Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad
-The Outfit
-Outpost Kaloki X
-Quake Arena Arcade
-RAW: Realms of Ancient War
-Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
-Ridge Racer 6
-Rio
-Risen
-Risen 2: Dark Waters
-Rock of Ages
-Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
-Scramble
-Screwjumper!
-Skate 2
-Spongebob SquarePants: Underpants Slam!
-Spongebob: Truth or Square
-Switchball
-Thrillville: Off the Rails
-Time Pilot
-Toy Story Mania!
-Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment
-Viva Piñata: Party Animals
-Warlords

-Advent Rising
-Dead or Alive 1 Ultimate
-Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate
-Dead or Alive 3