Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Sonic Racing defo the pick of the FPS boosts. Amazing kart racer, I remember lots saying it was so much better on PC with 60fps.

Bosws87

Runs decent enough on PC 140fps max settings, seems solid not really my game i'll play it now and again with friends, but i couldn't dedicate myself to it just feels like COD with a longer time to kill.

It is however miles better then BF2042.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Runs decent enough on PC 140fps max settings, seems solid not really my game i'll play it now and again with friends, but i couldn't dedicate myself to it just feels like COD with a longer time to kill.

It is however miles better then BF2042.
But nowhere near Apex?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Halo is fun, looks nice, plays well, but there's nothing to really separate it from all the other multiplayer FPS that do the exact same. I guess it'll have good support, at least, and be nice for a blast on the series X.

Some of the melee weapons are stupid OP though.

mancan92

Halo is fun, looks nice, plays well, but there's nothing to really separate it from all the other multiplayer FPS that do the exact same. I guess it'll have good support, at least, and be nice for a blast on the series X.

There isn't an FPS like Halo from a gameplay POV so that's what separates it from others. If you enjoy it's gameplay that's enough. Gameplay wise it's the best Halo ever.

Alock1

I dunno.

It's an arena shooter that is very different to a COD or battlefield. The only real competitor on the console space is Splitgate which was basically a rip-off of Halo with a twist (portals) in the first place.

We need more arena shooters, it's an area that's really been lacking. For casual fps multiplayer fans maybe it just feels samey with the others, but to most people who play Halo or who play COD a lot, they feel and play completely different.

Plus.. COD and battlefield and both horrendous this year, so it's got a chance to be the best console shooter out right now.

evil_geko

Amazing fun this, after all the fecking Battle Royale bollocks out there, this is a breath of fresh air.

Bosws87

If you like cod but wish you had an opportunity to turn a fight around if you are flanked then this is the game for you.

The ranked system will be a big pull, should be a staple of all decent shooters. I’ve been spoiled by apex and for me that’s still the best shooter on the market.

this is probs the best arena shooter currently available if that’s your thing.

Massive Spanner

I dunno.

It's an arena shooter that is very different to a COD or battlefield. The only real competitor on the console space is Splitgate which was basically a rip-off of Halo with a twist (portals) in the first place.

We need more arena shooters, it's an area that's really been lacking. For casual fps multiplayer fans maybe it just feels samey with the others, but to most people who play Halo or who play COD a lot, they feel and play completely different.

Plus.. COD and battlefield and both horrendous this year, so it's got a chance to be the best console shooter out right now.
That would be all well and good if it was anything more than decent. It's really nothing special. Plenty of other shooters have done the same mechanics as well, if not better.

Plus, cross play is a huge thing right now and it not being available on PS will hurt it.

It's Halo so I'm sure it'll be pretty popular but times have moved on a lot from Arena shooters. I mean, sure, there isn't much competition in that field but that's mainly because most gamers play BR's and big open battle field's now.

Conor

Ranked play is the only thing that will really bring people back to it, and you need a good team to properly go for a high rank.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I thought it was shaping up to be good. I'm still hopeful for campaign. But I dunno. The multiplayer has too much modern/COD influence for me. The butler guy is annoying as feck, and guns bland and soulless.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't have massively high hopes for the campaign. 343's philosophy has been to phone it in by increasing the gravitas of the narrative but the best old Halo games were very simple at their core - kick butt and save the galaxy. The characters weren't deep and detailed, just charismatic and likable, like Arbiter and the cigar chomping Sgt Johnson. It's a difficult task to take the series in a new direction but the amount of cutscenes in that video suggests it's going down the Serious Game™ route again, something that hardly ever works in FPS games and certainly didn't work in Halo 4 and Halo 5.

Last edited:

altodevil

I don't have high hopes for the campaign. 434's philosophy has been to phone it in by increasing the gravitas of the narrative but the best old Halo games were very simple at their core - kick butt and save the galaxy. The characters weren't deep and detailed, just charismatic and likable, like Arbiter and Sgt Johnson. It's a difficult task to take the series in a new direction but the amount of cutscenes in that video suggests it's going down the Serious Game™ route again, something that hardly ever works in FPS games and certainly didn't work in Halo 4 and Halo 5.
I agree 343 has been gash - but I really liked that snipper Alock posted. It gives me hope.

altodevil

I guess we'll see as the gameplay certainly looks alright. I was really burned by 4 and 5 and they totally killed my optimism for the series.
Saw them - never played - you could tell they weren't really halo. This will be my first one since bungie.

Massive Spanner

The multiplayer is perfect mediocrity so I imagine the campaign will be a perfectly acceptable completely forgettable experience.

Spoony

The People's President
Halo CE was great but subsequent Halos have been disappointing and lacking in good one player campaigns.

Alock1

The multiplayer is perfect mediocrity so I imagine the campaign will be a perfectly acceptable completely forgettable experience.
Disagree on the multiplayer but probably true for the campaign.

Looks really good fun but it isn't doing anything new and outside of hardcore Halo lore fans I don't think many will care for the story or that it'll pack much of a punch.

Looks like an enjoy your time with it game though. Shame co-op isn't available at launch because it looks perfect for that.

Alock1

Jeff's prone to hating a game up front and growing to love it, and loving a game up top and tiring, so I don't know how much stock to put into this. Ubisoft open world won't go down well with some old Halo fans but hopefully the moment to moment gameplay is fun enough that it doesn't become a drag (something the Spiderman games did well recently)

Massive Spanner

Disagree on the multiplayer but probably true for the campaign.

Looks really good fun but it isn't doing anything new and outside of hardcore Halo lore fans I don't think many will care for the story or that it'll pack much of a punch.

Looks like an enjoy your time with it game though. Shame co-op isn't available at launch because it looks perfect for that.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the multiplayer but it doesn't have nearly the wow factor something like Overwatch or Warzone did when they came out that made them feel fresh and addictive. It's perfectly serviceable, well made, plays well, looks decent, but it's nothing special in a big sea of multiplayer FPS games. It's the sort of game I'd play if I had an hour to kill and nothing better to do.

AOE4 is great though!

Bosws87

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the multiplayer but it doesn't have nearly the wow factor something like Overwatch or Warzone did when they came out that made them feel fresh and addictive. It's perfectly serviceable, well made, plays well, looks decent, but it's nothing special in a big sea of multiplayer FPS games. It's the sort of game I'd play if I had an hour to kill and nothing better to do.

AOE4 is great though!
That sums up my experience perfectly, i'd file it in the same category as Battlefield although Halo in its current form is about 10 times better then that trash.

Its just a bit too console orientated for me, i can see the appeal for the console guys, do love the theatre feature a replay mode should be standard on any competitive shooter!

Alock1

AOE4 is great though!
Well yeah, it's the 8th Halo game and has to meet some expectations around that. It isn't a category leading or game-changer but it can't be as it needs to balance being true to Halo and modernizing it at the same time. It doesn't need to be one of those to get a shit load of people playing it regularly over the long term though - the gameplay is solid enough for that (personally think it's lots of fun). I think their challenge is actually around content and customisation - since there is no real 'progression' of guns/attachments and no heroes, can they offer enough customisation and fun, limited time modes to keep people coming back. A 6 month season 1 window is already a lot.. I wouldn't be surprise to see them lose some momentum in the spring but claw it back with Season 2 + Co Op + Forge.

Doesn't need to be as big as Warzone, but if it can be a mainstay like R6 Siege for the next 4-5 years, I think that'd be the goal.

I do think Halo is the absolute perfect environment for a Battle Royale and hope they actually do go that route at some point. The Infinite campaign already looks to have the open space and all the assets needed. They just need to figure out what loot in Halo looks like and increase the variety. But for a mix of large scale but close-quarters action + strong sandbox elements + good vehicle set; it's got great foundations for BR.

altodevil

I've played the multiplayer. It's fun. It's not halo though.

Alock1

I've played the multiplayer. It's fun. It's not halo though.
It's Halo but you can sprint.. which isn't even new to Halo.

The guns, the vehicles, the maps, the modes - everything is halo.

I guess some people might run n gun like cod but those people die fast.

Maybe it can't recreate the magic you use to feel or its tired formulae now for you but it's certainly 'Halo ass fecking Halo' if you were to ask an American.

altodevil

It's Halo but you can sprint.. which isn't even new to Halo.

The guns, the vehicles, the maps, the modes - everything is halo.

I guess some people might run n gun like cod but those people die fast.

Maybe it can't recreate the magic you use to feel or its tired formulae now for you but it's certainly 'Halo ass fecking Halo' if you were to ask an American.
It's the sprint that kills it, and the acrobatics. I like the other equipment. The weapons are maybe stylistically too normal looking, but their variety is good and halo like. The maps are good although I don't really like the odst esque one. That said, I've done my ranked placement and I'm Platinum!

Alock1

It's the sprint that kills it, and the acrobatics. I like the other equipment. The weapons are maybe stylistically too normal looking, but their variety is good and halo like. The maps are good although I don't really like the odst esque one. That said, I've done my ranked placement and I'm Platinum!
The acrobatics? do you mean the grapple, thruster etc.? Minimal use since they're pick ups on the map. Just adds another dimension to the game and helps to modernize. The core of the game is very, very Halo. And for all the talk of it being like cod, or codifying it - it's really nothing like it. It's not about twitch reactions and who shoots first; often the person shot first if more skillful can outplay the opponent and get the kill. The only way to run and gun it and do well is if you move around in 2s, which COD doesn't promote at all (and isn't particularly useful)

There's no kill streaks, no camping, no proning, no weird perks and there's much better weapon balance. It's spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Can see why some people may say the 4v4 is good but meh. I love it, but I love arena shooters, and since it does nothing new I could understand people finding it stale (though with such a lack of top shooters in recent years, it surprises me). The big team battle mode however is absolutely class - I've no idea how anyone can find that boring or average. I hadn't played it until last night and every game I had some sort of clip due to the sandbox nature of it, with multiple class sequences. You get into the action so much quicker and feel like you can have a much bigger impact than big team modes on the likes of battlefield, and foot vs vehicle is much better balanced.

Would be good to get some BTB games in with @Massive Spanner and @Bosws87 in to see whether they're just rubbish at the game, or simply needed some one to play with to enjoy it.. @altodevil I'm also Platinum so let's hook up.

Last edited:

altodevil

The acrobatics? do you mean the grapple, thruster etc.? Minimal use since they're pick ups on the map. Just adds another dimension to the game and helps to modernize. The core of the game is very, very Halo. And for all the talk of it being like cod, or codifying it - it's really nothing like it. It's not about twitch reactions and who shoots first; often the person shot first if more skillful can outplay the opponent and get the kill. The only way to run and gun it and do well is if you move around in 2s, which COD doesn't promote at all (and isn't particularly useful)

There's no kill streaks, no camping, no proning, no weird perks and there's much better weapon balance. It's spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Can see why some people may say the 4v4 is good but meh. I love it, but I love arena shooters, and since it does nothing new I could understand people finding it stale (though with such a lack of top shooters in recent years, it surprises me). The big team battle mode however is absolutely class - I've no idea how anyone can find that boring or average. I hadn't played it until last night and every game I had some sort of clip due to the sandbox nature of it, with multiple class sequences. You get into the action so much quicker and feel like you can have a much bigger impact than big team modes on the likes of battlefield, and foot vs vehicle is much better balanced.

Would be good to get some BTB games in with @Massive Spanner and @Bosws87 in to see whether they're just rubbish at the game, or simply needed some one to play with to enjoy it.. @altodevil I'm also Platinum so let's hook up.
Sounds good. I was defo carried the last couple of placement matches though :lol:

fergosaurus

Sold my PS5 a couple of months ago which I later regretted so found myself back in the rat race for another console.

Managed to nab a Series X on Thursday which gave an estimated delivery date of 2 weeks. Just got a message from DPD saying it will be delivered tomorrow. :drool:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Sold my PS5 a couple of months ago which I later regretted so found myself back in the rat race for another console.

Managed to nab a Series X on Thursday which gave an estimated delivery date of 2 weeks. Just got a message from DPD saying it will be delivered tomorrow. :drool:
Where did you get the X from?