Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bojan11

Meh demand isn't as high = easier to manage
Nope. I can set my alarm for 8am. Not midnight, or then 4am or 8am. Or midday.

I know what’s happening and where. That’s why I liked what Amazon did yesterday despite their shitty links. Sony should have put their foot down on these retailers. You think Apple or MS would stand for this sort of incompetence? Phil Spencer would ban these retailers.

Cole9

So who's actually pre-ordering on Tuesday?
I am. I have a PS5 pre-ordered but I'm still undecided between that and the Series X. So I'll pre-order both and cancel one nearer the time.

Bojan11

Following the fiasco of Sony's surprise PlayStation 5 pre-order launch, Microsoft has moved to ensure potential Xbox Series S/X purchasers won't be similarly caught off-guard, announcing that retailers will taking pre-orders from 8am next Tuesday in the UK.

As revealed on Twitter, pre-orders for the £249 Series S and £449 Series X will go live at 8am, 22nd September, across participating stores. Those, should you have a retailer of preference (or should your retailer of preference run out of units, forcing you into a wild, scrambling spree elsewhere) include:

• AO.com
  • Amazon
  • Argos
  • Currys PC World
  • GAME
  • John Lewis & Partners
  • Microsoft Store
  • ShopTo.net
  • SimplyGames
  • Smyths Toys
  • Tesco
  • Very.co.uk

• Over in North America, Xbox Series S/X pre-orders go live at 11AM ET/8AM PT next Tuesday, 22nd September, via Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, Gamestop, Newegg, Sam's Club, Target, Walmart, and Army and Airforce Exchange Service.

• It's a mercifully more organised and consumer-friendly approach to pre-orders compared to Sony's PlayStation 5 efforts. Despite assurances back in Augustthat it wouldn't surprise-reveal PS5 pre-orders, Sony fluffed it so much that retailers managed to open pre-orders even before last night's official announcement, leaving purchasers scrambling.

"Don't worry," the official Xbox Twitter account cheekily wrote earlier today in response, "we'll let you know the exact time pre-orders start for you soon". Microsoft hasn't yet indicated how limited stock is likely to be, but potential buyers can at least now rest easy until next Tuesday.
@esmufc07

Bojan11

Surely that will just lead to websites crashing more as everyone is going on at the same time?
Nah. People will split around. Amazon is my target and they should hold up. Game and Smyths will probably be busy as they offering that All Access.

Problem with PS was everyone opened up at different times. So once you couldn’t get one at Amazon, people started crashing the PC world website and then the next one after that.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
More controller drama!

So, I got my 2nd elite from Amazon today and that one is broke too! This time the 'A' button is not registering correctly. These things are crap!

I tried to get a 3rd controller from them but they were sold out. So, now I'm going to send this one to MS for repair. Apparently, they just give you a new one. What a joke this is, though. I just want a freaking controller.

The standard one I've been using for the past two years works perfectly fine. There must me some fault in the production line or something.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You think it’ll be sold out on launch date if I don’t bother pre ordering? I live in Nothern Ireland. I might pick one up until I wait on a 3080. Want to play black ops 2

Adamsk7

Now my Mrs has said she’s gonna get my the PS5 for my birthday (she’s not paying £450, ive already got £250 from my trades Pro) I am back in on a Series X again. I’ll be doing the same thing, down Game at 8am to get my preorder in the store.

Bojan11

You think it’ll be sold out on launch date if I don’t bother pre ordering? I live in Nothern Ireland. I might pick one up until I wait on a 3080. Want to play black ops 2
Probably will sell out on day one. Xbox one did and this is a way better console than that.

Paxi

Probably will sell out on day one. Xbox one did and this is a way better console than that.
Like you mean if I go to game, Argos, Currys etc I’ll be able to nab one without pre-ordering? Do I have to pay everywhere to pre-order? I’m seriously out of money between buying pc-parts, waiting on a 3080, looking a new iPhone and a MacBook.

Bojan11

Like you mean if I go to game, Argos, Currys etc I’ll be able to nab one without pre-ordering? Do I have to pay everywhere to pre-order? I’m seriously out of money between buying pc-parts, waiting on a 3080, looking a new iPhone and a MacBook.
You don’t need to pay at Amazon, GAME online, Smyths and ShopTo. Game and Smyths also offer the £28.99 monthly plan with two years gamepass.

There’s a small chance you could pick one up on release date. But I would recommend just ordering with Amazon and then waiting on how the 3080 stock issues develop.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
More controller drama!

So, I got my 2nd elite from Amazon today and that one is broke too! This time the 'A' button is not registering correctly. These things are crap!

I tried to get a 3rd controller from them but they were sold out. So, now I'm going to send this one to MS for repair. Apparently, they just give you a new one. What a joke this is, though. I just want a freaking controller.

The standard one I've been using for the past two years works perfectly fine. There must me some fault in the production line or something.
Order it from Microsoft man. I don't trust Amazon one bit. The sellers on there are shady as feck. Even if it's direct from Amazon, they have that many returns I'm certain they don't check them and send them straight back out, unless there's damage on the box.

Paxi

You don’t need to pay at Amazon, GAME online, Smyths and ShopTo. Game and Smyths also offer the £28.99 monthly plan with two years gamepass.

There’s a small chance you could pick one up on release date. But I would recommend just ordering with Amazon and then waiting on how the 3080 stock issues develop.
Okay I will do that then. Cheers.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
@Bojan11 what makes you choose Amazon to go for?

Any other thoughts on the best options?

I'm not bothered about any fancy monthly deals, just want it to be easy and delivered on the day. I trust Amazon for this to be fair, even though I don't trust them for expensive stuff that's been out a while.

Paxi

I'm not bothered about any fancy monthly deals, just want it to be easy and delivered on the day. I trust Amazon for this to be fair, even though I don't trust them for expensive stuff that's been out a while.
Personally speaking, apart from Amazon’s customer service, I’ve never had a problem with them. I also check which vendor I’m buying from. Make sure it has lots of positive ratings like eBay.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Personally speaking, apart from Amazon’s customer service, I’ve never had a problem with them. I also check which vendor I’m buying from. Make sure it has lots of positive ratings like eBay.
I've actually found their customer service great. It's more the sellers that I don't trust and Amazon doing anything about the dodgy ones. Half of the shit on there is dropshipped, and there's definitely sellers selling second hand/refurbished items as new. With Amazon themselves I've had a few issues with open box stuff that's clearly not been checked upon returning before reselling.

But with a brand new console none of that should be a problem.

Paxi

I've actually found their customer service great. It's more the sellers that I don't trust and Amazon doing anything about the dodgy ones. Half of the shit on there is dropshipped, and there's definitely sellers selling second hand/refurbished items as new. With Amazon themselves I've had a few issues with open box stuff that's clearly not been checked upon returning before reselling.

But with a brand new console none of that should be a problem.
Yeah I think I just received a £260 motherboard which might have been opened. It was down from £280 so I’m wondering do they drop prices if they have a build up of returned products. Not sure. Looked open but didn’t look used or taken out of the box.

Customer service is good until it needs escalated, they literally just give 24/48 hours time window in which your issue will be resolved but I had to wait a week before writing an email to complaints department. So yeah it’s a mixed bag for me.

A PSU I ordered got lost in transit and they had absolutely no problem refunding me straight away.

Bojan11

Returns mainly. New consoles, so don’t know what’s going to happen with reliability. If it fails within the first 12 months you can deal with Amazon rather than MS. The only downside is they don’t use DPD.

MS Store itself should be another decent option. Not sure if they take payment straight away or before dispatch. Most the retailer on that list should be fine.

Paxi

Returns mainly. New consoles, so don’t know what’s going to happen with reliability. If it fails within the first 12 months you can deal with Amazon rather than MS. The only downside is they don’t use DPD.

MS Store itself should be another decent option. Not sure if they take payment straight away or before dispatch. Most the retailer on that list should be fine.
Returns are very good. I bought i5 returned it. Bought i7 returned. Bought i5 again.

Couldn't decide between a stop gap intel chip until 11th gen, and then whether to wait on zen 3. Ended up where I started.:lol:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Yeah, having played with it a bit more, forget build quality issues, those elite controllers are trash to play with. Don't bother.

Paxi

Yeah, having played with it a bit more, forget build quality issues, those elite controllers are trash to play with. Don't bother.
What don’t you like about them?

DavelinaJolie

So who's actually pre-ordering on Tuesday?
Not me, sadly. I feel a bit disappointed by the lack of a launch title, but beyond that, I have around £250 worth of Microsoft Rewards points and you only get 90 days to redeem the vouchers when you cash in. If I cash them in and miss out on a pre-order from MS then I'm stuffed.

It's a shame but I can wait til next year, in the meantime accrue more points for more money off the machine. May even hold on to my one X for the bedroom if I get enough.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Not me, sadly. I feel a bit disappointed by the lack of a launch title, but beyond that, I have around £250 worth of Microsoft Rewards points and you only get 90 days to redeem the vouchers when you cash in. If I cash them in and miss out on a pre-order from MS then I'm stuffed.

It's a shame but I can wait til next year, in the meantime accrue more points for more money off the machine. May even hold on to my one X for the bedroom if I get enough.
How do you get so many reward points?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Here's what I like, the trigger stops are good for FPS games and I like the idea of a good built in battery. I like the standard controller better for everything else.
Paddles are great for fps when you get used to them. The rest is like everything else, except it feels way better.

Paxi

Here's what I like, the trigger stops are good for FPS games and I like the idea of a good built in battery. I like the standard controller better for everything else.
Do you play many FPS games?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yeah that seems sensible. If I wasn't such a geek for new consoles I'd wait myself, as I think in general launch consoles don't often come with great launch titles (PS5 has a few for release day but nothing groundbreaking I don't think).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I think you've been soured on it mate. Obviously it's subjective but it's pretty much universally loved and highly regarded in terms of quality, accessibility, comfort, control etc.

I think the only complaints I ever see is that some of the components are a little prone to breaking.

It's got the same feel as the Xbox One controller but with a nicer finish and grip (not plasticy) and then loads of extra options. Hard to not like if you like the normal Xbox controller...

I absolutely love mine. It's a genuine part of the reason I expect Xbox to stay first choice console next gen.

I have a mate who doesn't use trigger locks or paddles but cannot go back to the old feel now, so replaced with a new one recently knowing he was paying £100 for the grip and weight.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
@Alock1 I've always been a fan of Xbox controllers, so I'm surprised this more expensive one is this bad. I prefer the feel of the standard one. Luckily I can get my money back.

I hope that they have only made minor changes to the Series X controller.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Well it obviously isn't 'so bad' but fair enough if you don't like it and it's not for you pal

Better that way as now you don't need to spend crazy money on a controller.