Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

wr8_utd

:'(
Havent checked Game Pass recently but the Series S is likely to be available for 30K during the upcoming sale on Flipkart and Amazon. You have got the Series S, yeah? In that case, it might not be a bad idea to cancel the pre-order and order it again during the sale.
Yeah I'd seen the Flipkart rumors but Flipkart has consistently shown it as not deliverable in most pin codes despite being in stock. I'll check it out again but I don't trust Flipkart and their stock.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Does make me wonder why. Is nobody interested?
Probably a mix of most early console purchases being from "enthusiasts" who want the best product available and I assume there are more units of the S available as its likely easier to produce than the X.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

I, for one, look forward to going all-digital and enjoying disc-free, next-gen gaming with the smallest Xbox console ever made.
The people who it appeals to most will buy it in the future as a second console, or won't be interested in the latest and greatest stuff (otherwise they'd have a 4k tv they want to make the most of), so again will get it later on.

Bosws87

I, for one, look forward to going all-digital and enjoying disc-free, next-gen gaming with the smallest Xbox console ever made.
Because its worse then the consoles which are currently out and realistically even if you do want one you are gonna end up replacing it by the end of the next generation anyway. So spending the extra couple of hundred pounds on the X makes a lot more sense.

Wouldn't surprise me if eventually the discontinue the S as a whole a number of years down the line.

Bojan11

Ignore potato camera man. They not discontinuing anything. They could have easily binned the original Xbox one as it was a piece of garbage, but they carried on supporting it. The S and X is what they going forward with. A few years down the line both should get improvements, doesn’t mean they going to ditch them just like there’s a good chance we will see a PS5 pro.

More stock coming for series s as it’s easier to produce. People are cancelling just like with the PS5 the other day.

It will sell more during Xmas time rather than launch as the price is tempting for parents.

Bosws87

Ignore potato camera man. They not discontinuing anything. They could have easily binned the original Xbox one as it was a piece of garbage, but they carried on supporting it. The S and X is what they going forward with. A few years down the line both should get improvements, doesn’t mean they going to ditch them just like there’s a good chance we will see a PS5 pro.

More stock coming for series s as it’s easier to produce. People are cancelling just like with the PS5 the other day.

It will sell more during Xmas time rather than launch as the price is tempting for parents.
They just binned the whole Kinect system the whole system was built around originally, I’m not even having a dig at the console.
It just makes a lot more sense to fork out the extra couple of hundred pounds for the X

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Because its worse then the consoles which are currently out and realistically even if you do want one you are gonna end up replacing it by the end of the next generation anyway. So spending the extra couple of hundred pounds on the X makes a lot more sense.

Wouldn't surprise me if eventually the discontinue the S as a whole a number of years down the line.
Worse than the current consoles? Complete nonsense. Definitely underpowered compared to its 9th-gen contemporaries, but certainly a step up on those which came before it.

Bojan11

They just binned the whole Kinect system the whole system was built around originally, I’m not even having a dig at the console.
It just makes a lot more sense to fork out the extra couple of hundred pounds for the X
Didn’t know we had a Kinect fan in here. Did they bin the console? No.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looks like The Medium releases on Dec 10th and on gamepass

Hoof the ball

This will interest AC fans who are planning on getting the Xbox Series X. If you have the original disc of AC: Unity and you play it unpatched, the frame-rate is locked at 60fps on the Series X as opposed to it's original performance of low 20's on the Xbox One. There's a video below showing it in all of its 60fps beauty.

Fully Fledged

This will interest AC fans who are planning on getting the Xbox Series X. If you have the original disc of AC: Unity and you play it unpatched, the frame-rate is locked at 60fps on the Series X as opposed to it's original performance of low 20's on the Xbox One. There's a video below showing it in all of its 60fps beauty.

I agree with DF though I would want the graphics patched the way it now is on PC. Hopefully they make a patch or remaster it because the game deserved better than it got out of original first gen consoles.

Hoof the ball

I agree with DF though I would want the graphics patched the way it now is on PC. Hopefully they make a patch or remaster it because the game deserved better than it got out of original first gen consoles.
I agree. There's a lot to love about Unity. The density of its environments, the parkour system is just supreme but just two of those things. If they can sort out the above they'd have one hell of a remaster on their hands.

Bojan11

New technology to double framerates

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S bring next-gen performance to your favorite games. Higher, steadier framerates make games feel smoother, resulting in more immersive gameplay. Many improvements are the result of the custom designed processor that allows compatible games to play and leverage the increased CPU, GPU and memory from the new consoles. In addition however, the backward compatibility team has developed new methods for effectively doubling the framerate on select titles. While not applicable for many titles due to the game’s original physics or animations, these new techniques the team has developed can push game engines to render more quickly for a buttery smooth experience beyond what the original game might have delivered due to the capabilities of the hardware. Fallout 4 framerate, shown below, is effectively doubled from 30fps to 60fps on Xbox Series S, delivering a new way to preserve and enjoy this legendary title.
Enhanced visuals you have to see to believe

On the Xbox One, we were able to provide a curated list of titles that were enhanced for the Xbox One X via the Heutchy method. This allowed titles from Xbox 360 that rendered at 720p and original Xbox games that ran at 360p to play at 4K on Xbox One X, well beyond the capabilities of their original platform. The Heutchy method continues to be used to bring a variety of titles to 1440p on Xbox Series S and 4K on Xbox Series X.
Auto HDR for everyone

Modern games often implement high dynamic range (HDR) to improve overall visual quality. HDR allows a game to render a much larger range of brightness values and colors. This gives an extra sense of richness and depth to the image when compared to a standard dynamic range (SDR) image. For example, the light from a flashlight looks much brighter and red flowers look much more vibrant.

However, thousands of Xbox games shipped before HDR was first introduced with Xbox One S, and even for some Xbox One games, developers simply didn’t have the development resources or time to implement HDR. With Xbox Series X and Series S we are introducing a new feature named Auto HDR. Auto HDR automatically adds HDR enhancements to games which only shipped with SDR. Auto HDR enhances the visual quality of an SDR game without changing the original artistic intent of the game. Auto HDR is implemented by the system so developers don’t have to do any work to take advantage of this feature. Also, since Auto HDR is enabled by the console’s hardware, there is absolutely no performance cost to the CPU, GPU or memory and there is no additional latency added ensuring you receive the ultimate gaming experience.

The below images show how Auto HDR can improve the visual quality without changing the overall look of the game. The HDR images are brighter and more colorful only in the naturally expected areas, while the rest of the image retains its original intent.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10...cid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_10.13.1

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
So whilst both consoles will use brute force and power to better run backwards compat games (where resolution is dynamic or frames uncapped/not reaching current cap)

But this technology goes beyond that and can potentially double even capped games? But requires work to be done specifically on a certain game (without any patch or work from original devs?)

Really cool stuff. I guess we need to see what games this applies to and how much they can scale it. Needs to be a good number of games to be worth talking about.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'll be honest i can't see any difference in those videos. I'm yet to really get hyped by framerate but maybe you have to experience it to realise the difference.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Anyone on gamepass and you fancy an offline game, Deliver Us the Moon is super fun, simple puzzle type game. Highly recommend it - not finished it yet, but reckon I’m close. Guessing a 6 hour game.

Bojan11

Here are some Gears 5 screenshots taken on #XboxSeriesX post next-gen update. I am preparing video captures in 4K which will be published very soon on Gameblog.

Bojan11

Three modes are on offer: normal, high resolution and high frame-rate. Tackling normal mode first, Series X renders this at native 1440p, with no dynamic resolution scaling. The trade-off for not going for a true native 4K is that everything targets 60fps with full v-sync. Meanwhile, resolution mode aims for a native 3840x2160 but does so with a half-rate refresh, busting down the action to 30fps (with rare frame-pacing issues). Lastly, we have the frame-rate mode; this returns us to a fluid 60fps - though the resolution drops to a native 1080p in this case. The idea is it takes the resolution down even further than the normal mode, in a bid to smooth over some of its performance drops.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I like the choices. Shame it can't do 60fps @ 1440 constantly, I think that shows people who thought this would match the leading gfx cards that it isn't that simple.

Sub 30fps at a variable 4k is about right for the machine too, and Yakuza isn't the most intensive game graphically but is decent enough to be a test.