Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

rotherham_red

65" 8k tvs are now £2700 for a Samsung and £3000 for an LG. The 55" LG is now £1500 down from £2000. They aren't Oled but they do get excellent reviews especially the LG. If you buy a 4k tv now you may feel in 6 months time you wished you had waited to get an 8k tv when a 65" will probably be below £2000.
Nah, not when there is barely any 8k broadcast or 8k-sourced audiovisual content to consume and likely won't be for the next 3 years at least. I mean, you could buy an 8k panel, but the most you will get is upscaling, which will not be the same as a proper 8k source, and will, if the upscaling from the early HD and 4k TVs are anything to go by, will be a minor upgrade on the previous generation. The consoles of the next gen likely won't have 8k until at least 5 years from now, if at all really.

It's the same FOMO mentality that made people in 2011-2015 buy 4K LCDs which were not OLED (and instead were based on the notoriously low quality LCD tech of the HD generation) and had no HDR, no support for even 60fps let alone 120, no Dolby Vision, no HLG support etc etc, but fast forward 2 years from that point and all of those have gone from the cutting edge to being an industry standard now and are prevalent at even the mid to lower level.

I'd say to anyone who has a 1080p TV, that this year and next year is probably the best time to buy a 4k OLED with the tech being pretty much maximised, and with opportunities to consume 4k content being much more synonymous. 8k will be the next step but that is a long, long way away as yet.

Ainu

No one in 6 months time is going to regret getting "just" a 4k instead of an 8k which will be utterly pointless for at least another 5 years, probably a good deal longer. You are much better off buying a top quality 4k OLED set. None of the next-gen consoles are going to run even a modest looking game at 8k at any sort of acceptable performance and in all likelihood the inevitable mid-gen upgrades aren't going to get there either. You might just get acceptable performance levels out of an RTX 3090 if you're running DLSS, not even that absurdly overpowered card will get you satisfactory performance at native resolution.

People just need to forget about 8k completely and start thinking about it again by 2025. Maybe.

rotherham_red

No one in 6 months time is going to regret getting "just" a 4k instead of an 8k which will be utterly pointless for at least another 5 years, probably a good deal longer. You are much better off buying a top quality 4k OLED set. None of the next-gen consoles are going to run even a modest looking game at 8k at any sort of acceptable performance and in all likelihood the inevitable mid-gen upgrades aren't going to get there either. You might just get acceptable performance levels out of an RTX 3090 if you're running DLSS, not even that absurdly overpowered card will get you satisfactory performance at native resolution.

People just need to forget about 8k completely and start thinking about it again by 2025. Maybe.
Exactly.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I swear 4k has only just become worth it. Despite being around for ages, it's not really been around til recent.

rotherham_red

I swear 4k has only just become worth it. Despite being around for ages, it's not really been around til recent.
Tbh, I still barely see the difference between 1080i (let alone 1080p) and the 4k stuff that's on Netflix or Prime, and my sister has one of the LG OLED panels, though granted that panel is around 3 years old.

I'm sure it's worthwhile but I haven't yet seen it. It certainly didn't blow me away like my first HD viewing did.

rotherham_red

Tbh, I still barely see the difference between 1080i (let alone 1080p) and the 4k stuff that's on Netflix or Prime, and my sister has one of the LG OLED panels, though granted that panel is around 3 years old.

I'm sure it's worthwhile but I haven't yet seen it. It certainly didn't blow me away like my first HD viewing did.
But speaking more broadly, the ultimate 4k tech was always going to be OLED. As it was the ultimate no compromise tech. Giving you the deep blacks of plasma, with the vibrant displays of the LCD tech without the issues inherent in the older LCD tech, though it still retained the risk of screen burn which plasmas never managed to rectify.

The biggest issue was always price and mass-scale manufacturing. Thankfully they managed to sort that and we are now seeing the prices of OLED tumble.

For consoles, I think the most prudent thing might be to wait until next year when the manufacturers will better known the capabilities of the consoles and really have the systems in mind when developing the TVs. As a prospective PS5 owner, it seems the optimal gaming mode will be 4k 60fps with ray tracing, which even the most basic OLED models of 2017 can handle, so I'm not going to wait IMO.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What will the availability of this be in the first three months? I got one on pre-order (Series X) but have so much expenses going on currently that I could live with cancelling the order as I also have PS5 pre-ordered and that one is higher priority for me. If I don't get this at launch but decide to buy it later, say in late December or early January, will there be any issues with stock?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What will the availability of this be in the first three months? I got one on pre-order (Series X) but have so much expenses going on currently that I could live with cancelling the order as I also have PS5 pre-ordered and that one is higher priority for me. If I don't get this at launch but decide to buy it later, say in late December or early January, will there be any issues with stock?
There will surely be a big restock for Christmas. Would be madness not to be.

Sarni

There will surely be a big restock for Christmas. Would be madness not to be.
Okay then, I can focus on other priorities first then. I'd be buying it purely to play Forza Horizon anyway as I already pre-bought the multiplatform games I'm interested in on PS4/5 (NBA, FIFA, Cyberpunk) which should keep me busy for a while.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Okay then, I can focus on other priorities first then. I'd be buying it purely to play Forza Horizon anyway as I already pre-bought the multiplatform games I'm interested in on PS4/5 (NBA, FIFA, Cyberpunk) which should keep me busy for a while.
Don’t take my word for it though! :lol:
But surely...

Sarni

Don’t take my word for it though! :lol:
But surely...
Well I'll live anyway. I'm on the verge of going bankrupt (finishing my new house) so buying two next gen consoles within the same launch window is over the top for sure. I get my annual bonus in March so perhaps I'll buy it then anyway (should have some more games out by then).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well I'll live anyway. I'm on the verge of going bankrupt (finishing my new house) so buying two next gen consoles within the same launch window is over the top for sure. I get my annual bonus in March so perhaps I'll buy it then anyway (should have some more games out by then).
Yeah sounds like the wise move matey.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
As good as the xbox pad is, it's still a little underwhelming to not have a new controller with the new console. Even if it was upgraded to one of the elite controllers rather than having the bog standard one that was released so long ago.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
As good as the xbox pad is, it's still a little underwhelming to not have a new controller with the new console. Even if it was upgraded to one of the elite controllers rather than having the bog standard one that was released so long ago.
It is a new controller there's just so few changes because of how good it is. Definitely iterative. Plus they want the old controllers to be usable on the new Xbox and vice-versa which is great. Usually it's another £70 on top of a new console for a 2nd pad and instead we can use our old Xbox controllers.

Changes include USB-C, slightly smaller shape, grip on triggers, raised bumpers, share button and a new d-pad (with the cross-directional diagonals)

Alock1

This xbox controller is so great I'm going to go and spend £150 on a new one :wenger:
Best controller on the market at both the £60 price point and £150 price point pal

Alock1

OK. Just glad the original controller is so good you all feel the need to spend £150 to upgrade it.
It's the biggest barrier to playing games that could make use of the paddles and triggers on the PS5 to be honest. I had to play the new cod beta on the PS4 cause of their marketing deal, and it was a bit shit to go back to a standard controller after using the Elite.

I guess the PS4 must be shit if you feel the need to spend £450 to upgrade to a PS5

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It's the biggest barrier to playing games that could make use of the paddles and triggers on the PS5 to be honest. I had to play the new cod beta on the PS4 cause of their marketing deal, and it was a bit shit to go back to a standard controller after using the Elite.

I guess the PS4 must be shit if you feel the need to spend £450 to upgrade to a PS5
I haven’t said anything was shit. Don’t project your inner feelings onto me.

Smores

I don't understand, is this is like when kids buy endless packs on Fifa so they can get the best players and pretend they're good at gaming? You need to spend 150 on a controller to remain competitive or something?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't see the problem with paying 150e for a controller as long as I don't need to buy anything else, like batteries, or if there haven't been loads of technical issues with that controller like buttons stopping working and drift issues. I mean imagine paying double the cost of any other controller out there and having to replace batteries and buttons stopping working after a few months? Good thing the Elite Xbox controller has none of those issues amirite guys

Alock1

I don't see the problem with paying 150e for a controller as long as I don't need to buy anything else, like batteries, or if there haven't been loads of technical issues with that controller like buttons stopping working and drift issues. I mean imagine paying double the cost of any other controller out there and having to replace batteries and buttons stopping working after a few months? Good thing the Elite Xbox controller has none of those issues amirite guys
You don't need batteries. Its a charge pack and even has a dock in the case.

Haven't had to replace any parts personally. Supposedly there are issues but who knows the %s. Obviously we only hear about all the ones that have gone wrong. Microsoft have just extended warranty to 1 year in response too.

Alock1

I don't understand, is this is like when kids buy endless packs on Fifa so they can get the best players and pretend they're good at gaming? You need to spend 150 on a controller to remain competitive or something?
It's just a better experience as you are able to tailor how you play and do more complicated things (which require skill to take advantage of)

It's like asking why somebody would get a better mouse or keyboard, or buy a decent headset with improved surround sound.

I didn't think it'd be worth the cost and didn't buy one until I used a mates and then was hard to go back. For me it's been a great purchase.

Bojan11

It's just a better experience as you are able to tailor how you play and do more complicated things (which require skill to take advantage of)

It's like asking why somebody would get a better mouse or keyboard, or buy a decent headset with improved surround sound.

I didn't think it'd be worth the cost and didn't buy one until I used a mates and then was hard to go back. For me it's been a great purchase.
Or why would anyone buy a better TV or phone? Not sure where Fifa comparison comes from. You get what you pay for in this situation. Fifa is loot box gambling. Buying a better controller isn’t.

Dave_MUFC

Paying one third of a console price for a controller alone (for some extra luxuries like paddles and extra grip) is a bit of a joke :lol:

Dave_MUFC

Or why would anyone buy a better TV or phone? Not sure where Fifa comparison comes from. You get what you pay for in this situation. Fifa is loot box gambling. Buying a better controller isn’t.
A TV or phone is something with a whole array of features and functions. e.g. internet use, console gaming, TV, phone calls etc. A TV remote would be a more apt comparison.