Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Has anyone played Monster Train? It looks similar to Slay the Spire which is fantastic.

BristolRuss

If anybody still has their Xbox One knocking about unused you can turn it into a pretty cheap emulation machine for not very much money.

Cole9

I have a code for 40% off Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (3 Months - £19.99 instead of £32.99) going spare if anyone wants it. PM me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can anyone help me with this error I get when trying to upgrade to ultimate (3 months for €1). I just updated my Xbox live sub a few days ago so on theory it should also update that

I am based in ireland but perhaps my region may be U.K. as I would have setup my account when I lived in the north. How do I check?

@VeevaVee

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Can anyone help me with this error I get when trying to upgrade to ultimate (3 months for €1). I just updated my Xbox live sub a few days ago so on theory it should also update that

I am based in ireland but perhaps my region may be U.K. as I would have setup my account when I lived in the north. How do I check?

@VeevaVee
I'm not sure mate, sorry. Maybe @Bojan11 could assist?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
More Xbox problems I see
The only problem I'm having is that I fear my dopamine receptors will eventually burst at the seams from all the fun I'm having.

My wallet too is trying to get my attention from the amount I'm saving through Gamepass. Hush I says to it as it serenades me softly looking to be used.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

@VeevaVee
Try doing it on the xbox.com website on a PC. Use a VPN to assist.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

@VeevaVee
I used do this before when the Sterling made buying games cheap.

scroll down a little on this link. You can change the region back to whichever is needed then on the Xbox itself https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ft-store-5895e006-34f4-10f7-16b1-999e40adb048

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
If anyone is looking for something to play on GamePass, check out Yooka Laylee and the impossible lair. It's a fun platformer that starts out easy but the last level is a bitch!

Bojan11

I'm not sure mate, sorry. Maybe @Bojan11 could assist?
No idea. Never used any of these offers as I got 3 months plus 3 months extra offer a year back and bought a few years worth, so I got a membership until 2023.

@esmufc07 go play PES with pexbo and don’t leave your console in rest mode.

izzydiggler

Question for the Xbox nerds, what happens to the DLC you buy for gamepass games when they suddenly get removed from the pass?

And also, is that fair?
Any DLC you buy is attached to the account but you won’t be able to play it unless you buy the base game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Question for the Xbox nerds, what happens to the DLC you buy for gamepass games when they suddenly get removed from the pass?

And also, is that fair?
I imagine it's just a right to access sort of thing. The DLC would stay tied to your account and be playable if you later bought the base game. Game pass games go on sale when they're removed as a token gesture, I believe.

It's the same deal as on PS Now and Steam when they do those free weekend things.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Any DLC you buy is attached to the account but you won’t be able to play it unless you buy the base game.
I imagine it's just a right to access sort of thing. The DLC would stay tied to your account and would only be playable if you later bought the base game. Game pass games go on sale when they're removed as a token gesture, I believe.
So even though I can now buy the game + dlc for less elsewhere than the base game price "on sale", is that a good thing? I mean obviously I saw this coming, but do others buying into this general collection of past gen games that may not be available at any point?

I still have the gamepass, but I do question why this is seen as a great thing for gaming in it's current state. I mean, it's not the same as netflix and all that is it? They release games on it, games they push that you can pay extras for, then get it taken away...people need to stop for a second and just ponder this.

And also, is that fair?

izzydiggler

So even though I can now buy the game + dlc for less elsewhere than the base game price "on sale", is that a good thing? I mean obviously I saw this coming, but do others buying into this general collection of past gen games that may not be available at any point?

I still have the gamepass, but I do question why this is seen as a great thing for gaming in it's current state. I mean, it's not the same as netflix and all that is it? They release games on it, games they push that you can pay extras for, then get it taken away...people need to stop for a second and just ponder this.

And also, is that fair?
Not sure about “fair” but the value is really good IMO and don’t see much to complain about really. There have been a couple of games I haven’t finished after starting but they give a few weeks notice and bar massive large open world games, I just focus on a game leaving if it bothers me that much so I do finish it.

I guess the value is different for different people but I’d buy the likes of Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Fable 4 and others that release ‘free’ on launch, so I see it as big saving.

Redlambs

Not sure about “fair” but the value is really good IMO and don’t see much to complain about really. There have been a couple of games I haven’t finished after starting but they give a few weeks notice and bar massive large open world games, I just focus on a game leaving if it bothers me that much so I do finish it.

I guess the value is different for different people but I’d buy the likes of Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Fable 4 and others that release ‘free’ on launch, so I see it as big saving.
Sidestepping the issue like you are doing, is the actual issue here. Everyone who love the gamepass will, and I don't mind that as I find it good value myself, but the point runs deeper.

To go to the other side, for example, SoT is getting criticism for being a priced game but has a store and is introducing a pass. But the game itself you pay and you get. On the TV streaming services you pay for those streams and you get,. But somehow DLC extras are outside of this? Is it fair to act like a service that sells other services that they can then cut access to?

Is that not a point worth questioning?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Sidestepping the issue like you are doing, is the actual issue here. Everyone who love the gamepass will, and I don't mind that as I find it good value myself, but the point runs deeper.

To go to the other side, for example, SoT is getting criticism for being a priced game but has a store and is introducing a pass. But the game itself you pay and you get. On the TV streaming services you pay for those streams and you get,. But somehow DLC extras are outside of this? Is it fair to act like a service that sells other services that they can then cut access to?

Is that not a point worth questioning?
I think they need to be more explicit with it. A warning as you purchase that the DLC won't be accessible should the game leave gamepass or you stop subscribing, unless you buy the game. Ideally there would be a minimum time guarantee that if not met would result in a refund.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

And also, is that fair?
Yeah, it's a good point and an obvious limitation of Game Pass. It's a totally ephemeral service that can remove games you want to play or limit your ability to play paid-for DLC. It's why I wouldn't be in favour of a price increase for the service.

You're right - it's not the same as Netflix as you don't buy anything from Netflix. It's more like if Steam went under because you'd suddenly lose your rights to access games as they're tied to the DRM system. Many use GOG.com for this reason.

Edit - Actually it's probably more like when you buy a game and later the servers go down so you can't play online multiplayer. This has been a fairly common practice over the years.

Last edited:

Redlambs

I think they need to be more explicit with it. A warning as you purchase that the DLC won't be accessible should the game leave gamepass or you stop subscribing, unless you buy the game. Ideally there would be a minimum time guarantee that if not met would result in a refund.
Yeah, it's a good point and an obvious limitation of Game Pass. It's a totally ephemeral service that can remove games you want to play or limit your ability to play paid-for DLC. It's why I wouldn't be in favour of a price increase for the service.

You're right - it's not the same as Netflix as you don't buy anything from Netflix. It's more like if Steam went under because you'd suddenly lose your rights to access games as they're tied to the DRM system. Many use GOG.com for this reason.

Edit - Actually it's probably more like when you buy a game and later the servers go down so you can't play online multiplayer. This has been a fairly common practice over the years.
Yeah, good responses guys and I agree (well apart from one thing! *). My 9yo son go the X for his birthday, then just before Xmas got a DLC he wanted on a game and now I have to explain to him why he can't play it anymore. Worst is that he already knew where to get it again, and now thinks we've been had :lol:

This isn't an anti-gamepass thing, as my issues have always been about the publishers vs consumer side and once again I'll state as I always have that I like the gamepass overall, but I think the fact they can sell extras right up until the day the games expire is wrong. I also think the fact that it's never actually clear enough what games they remove is also wrong. Actually, I think removing games at all from the service, only to bring them back later, is wrong.

The thing that gets me is for a long time now I've banged on about sign-ups rather than outright buys, I know locky agrees with me on that, but for all the deals we think we are getting perhaps we should be looking at theses kinds of things. After all as always, I'll say the gaming industry is entirely like no other kind of industry. The level of interaction from all sides and the way we consume the content are unprecedented.

That's not even close my dude! And even if it was, that doesn't make it right. In fact it again only raises questions about what you are paying for, if you eventually lose access to what you've bought...

altodevil

I just don't treat gamepass games like I own them, outside of Xbox studios titles. It's an incredibly priced long term rental service. Anyone who experienced renting games back in the days of the PS1/N64/Megadrive should surely salivate over gamepass. I know I do.

Redlambs

I just don't treat gamepass games like I own them, outside of Xbox studios titles. It's an incredibly priced long term rental service. Anyone who experienced renting games back in the days of the PS1/N64/Megadrive should surely salivate over gamepass. I know I do.
Good for you.

That's not what we are talking about though.

altodevil

No, it's that you've missed the point of what I'm saying entirely.

Go back and read before you carry on.
You bought dlc for a game you don't own and never did. You've missed the point of game pass.

That's like buying a new stereo for a rental car.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
@Redlambs that's a shame for your kid. Which game was it?

I suspect it's a difficult situation because I reckon Microsoft have probably struck a deal with developers/publishers by promoting the idea that they'll pay for the base game to be on Gamepass but that extra DLC will be charged, therefore providing extra revenue. It's a bit shit but it might be that we'd have less games on there if that weren't the case.

However, at the point those games go off, it becomes a real quandary for people like yourself who own the DLC but not the game. Definitely a bit shit.

Also, some games don't fly right. Forza Horizon 4 is one because it's a Microsoft IP and yet they load it with unskippable cutscenes for the DLC. Just include it, you frigging tightwads!

altodevil

I suspect it's a difficult situation because I reckon Microsoft have probably struck a deal with a lot of developers/publishers by promoting the idea that they'll pay for the base game to be on Gamepass but that extra DLC will be charged, therefore providing extra revenue. It's a bit shit but it might be that we'd have less games on there if that weren't the case.

At the point those games go off, it becomes a quandary for people like yourself who own the DLC but not the game.

However, some games don't fly right. Forza Horizon 4 is one because it's a Microsoft IP and yet they load it with unskippable cutscenes for DLC. Just include it, you frigging tightwads!
Yeah that I don't understand at all.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They should certainly make it clear when buying DLC that games might leave the service. Is there much notice given when a game is leaving and if so how long is the notice ?

Also can we be sure that all MS studio games will remain permanently on game pass, I assume that is the case?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

I suspect it's a difficult situation because I reckon Microsoft have probably struck a deal with developers/publishers by promoting the idea that they'll pay for the base game to be on Gamepass but that extra DLC will be charged, therefore providing extra revenue. It's a bit shit but it might be that we'd have less games on there if that weren't the case.

However, at the point those games go off, it becomes a real quandary for people like yourself who own the DLC but not the game. Definitely a bit shit.

Also, some games don't fly right. Forza Horizon 4 is one because it's a Microsoft IP and yet they load it with unskippable cutscenes for the DLC. Just include it, you frigging tightwads!
I was quite enjoying Horizon but I found it very off putting with the constant DLC advertising. It’s all over the actual game map.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
They should certainly make it clear when buying DLC that games might leave the service. Is there much notice given when a game is leaving and if so how long is the notice ?

Also can we be sure that all MS studio games will remain permanently on game pass, I assume that is the case?
It's a month's notice I believe.

We can't be 100% sure but I reckon they'll be on there until Gamepass ceases to be. It wouldn't be a good PR move from Microsoft to remove them.

Redlambs

You bought dlc for a game you don't own and never did. You've missed the point of game pass.

That's like buying a new stereo for a rental car.
Ah the twitter style terrible analogies. On top of that, you actually defend a practice you clearly know nothing about.

I take it you are one of those people who just accepts everything when you think it benefits you, then keep your mouth shut even when it doesn't?

I suspect it's a difficult situation because Microsoft have probably struck a deal with a lot of developers/publishers by promoting the idea that they'll pay for the base game to be on Gamepass but that extra DLC will be charged, therefore providing extra revenue. It's a bit shit but it might be that we'd have less games on there if that weren't the case.

However, some games don't fly right. Forza Horizon 4 is one because it's a Microsoft IP and yet they load it with unskippable cutscenes for DLC in-game. Just include it, you tightwads!
It's not a difficult situation though if they made it clearer about what they are doing. Whatever game is coming off, it's likely to be coming back on in the future anyway.

But why isn't some trash DLC purchase at least time limited? And why then doesn't that at least come off the cost of the full game? Because that game and all the others are still available on the store...

And the MS 1st party games thing is pure trash. I'm not going to jump on MS exclusively for that, as what I'm saying is the whole system needs an overhaul.

altodevil

Ah the twitter style terrible analogies. On top of that, you actually defend a practice you clearly know nothing about.

I take it you are one of those people who just accepts everything when you think it benefits you, then keep your mouth shut even when it doesn't?

It's not a difficult situation though if they made it clearer about what they are doing. Whatever game is coming off, it's likely to be coming back on in the future anyway.

But why isn't some trash DLC purchase at least time limited? And why then doesn't that at least come off the cost of the full game? Because that game and all the others are still available on the store...

And the MS 1st party games thing is pure trash. I'm not going to jump on MS exclusively for that, as what I'm saying is the whole system needs an overhaul.
Someone wheel this man back to the funny farm.

altodevil

Enter a discussion, show no knowledge of it or semblance of a relevant point, make a twitter-level analogy, then resort to attempting to be funny when you can't respond properly.

Great post!
Listen pal, I'm not trying to rile you up, I just genuinely think you've gotten yourself a bit mixed up here. Take a step back and look at what you are saying. Time-limited DLC packs. DLC purchases acting as discounts to the actual title. It's bizarre stuff.

Redlambs

Listen pal, I'm not trying to rile you up, I just genuinely think you've gotten yourself a bit mixed up here. Take a step back and look at what you are saying. Time-limited DLC packs. DLC purchases acting as discounts to the actual title. It's bizarre stuff.
Once again, you've missed the point entirely.

But hey, you keep doing you "pal".

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

And also, is that fair?
I’ve paid £10.99 for a year of game pass. I’m not arsed