Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
It'll be cool at first, then you'll be very underwhelmed.

(Unless you actually play the good games and not just the pew pews like the tools in here)

Edit: Whoops wrong thread. Right sentiment.
Since he has gamepass on PC already, then yeah probably. Especially since Spanner is somebody that has constantly said there's no point getting a Series X if you have a gaming PC.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Since he has gamepass on PC already, then yeah probably. Especially since Spanner is somebody that has constantly said there's no point getting a Series X if you have a gaming PC.
:D I also said I'd definitely get a Series X at some point in fairness, I just didn't think I'd want one so soon but the idea of being able to switch between PC and couch so seamlessly for games like Psychonauts 2 appeals to me. But yeah, to be fair I didn't have much interest as I thought I wouldn't use it, but my PC playing mates got it and they love it so they swayed me a fair bit!

Also, cheapest way to get Xbox gamepass ultimate?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
:D I also said I'd definitely get a Series X at some point in fairness, I just didn't think I'd want one so soon but the idea of being able to switch between PC and couch so seamlessly for games like Psychonauts 2 appeals to me. But yeah, to be fair I didn't have much interest as I thought I wouldn't use it, but my PC playing mates got it and they love it so they swayed me a fair bit!

You can upgrade your remaining PC sub for £1 I think?

Alock1

I am just prepping for the 'barely even play my Series X' posts in a months time

Get 3 years of Xbox Live from Cdkeys and pile them on, then buy 1 month of gamepass and it should let you convert all remaining Live to Ultimate. Ideally you'll have the £1 option but if not paying for just 1 month at full price makes it insanely cheap.

Worth checking it's still working and any nuance around already having it.

If needed you might need to do it on a 2nd account and then make your xbox the home console of that 2nd to leverage on your 1st. This means you'll be unable to game share GPU though which would half the price again.

Alock1

I thought I could all right but when I go to do it it gives me the full price, maybe I'll try it on the actual xbox later.
See my edited post.

If you already have it the £1 won't show I don't think so have to let it expire first, or use a 2nd account.

I'd probably just pay the full price for 1 month though if it meant extending for a further 2/3 years. Over the length of the term you're paying like 30p extra per month.

Massive Spanner

See my edited post.

If you already have it the £1 won't show I don't think so have to let it expire first, or use a 2nd account.

I'd probably just pay the full price for 1 month though if it meant extending for a further 2/3 years. Over the length of the term you're paying like 30p extra per month.
2nd account means no saved progress between both though right? I'll lose my Psychonauts 2 data :(

I'll take a look around, might just bit the bullet and get the month of GPU now or something, then cancel and see if I can do your approach.

Alock1

2nd account means no saved progress between both though right? I'll lose my Psychonauts 2 data :(

I'll take a look around, might just bit the bullet and get the month of GPU now or something, then cancel and see if I can do your approach.
If you set your 2nd accounts home console as the Xbox then you can leverage it on your main. But yeah I don't know if you could have a home console and a home PC which would be an issue for you.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Did you have ultimate at any point?

What I did when I had to re-sub but already used the £1 trick was to let my account expire, then buy 6 months of gold and do the £1 trick again.

The unfortunate thing is that you have to technically buy one month of ultimate first (£11) then apply the £1 trick.* It still works out cheaper overall.

*Something like this, I can't remember exactly.

Massive Spanner

Did you have ultimate at any point?

What I did when I had to re-sub but already used the £1 trick was to let my account expire, then buy 6 months of gold and do the £1 trick again.

The unfortunate thing is that you have to technically buy one month of ultimate first (£11) then apply the £1 trick.* It still works out cheaper overall.

*Something like this, I can't remember exactly.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing. I'll give it a go!

largelyworried

How has the Series S ended up faring? I don't have much time for gaming these days but £20pm is so cheap I thought about grabbing one. There was a lot of talk about how big the performance gap might be, just wondered if it held its own in the end or if everyone should be getting an X?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How has the Series S ended up faring? I don't have much time for gaming these days but £20pm is so cheap I thought about grabbing one. There was a lot of talk about how big the performance gap might be, just wondered if it held its own in the end or if everyone should be getting an X?
If you don’t game that much it’ll be a great little console, as the Series X won’t become freely available for a while yet (talk of 2023). Think @Vidyoyo has the S.

Massive Spanner

First thoughts, it's much nicer looking in person, pretty slick. Seems very solid and it's super quiet. I do think the shape is annoying though, at least the (far uglier) PS5 fits in my cabinet.

Setup was a breeze, very easy to do.

The UI is shite, all over the place, but that's to be expected as the MS UI is shite in general.

Quick resume is incredible.

Psychonauts 2 looks better than on PC. HDR and my LG OLED helps with that, and the seamless syncing of saves between PC and console is glorious.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I have the S and in terms of performance I haven't noticed any problems. The main draw of the X is whether you have a 4k telly (I don't) as the S only renders in 1080p max. It also has a smaller hard-drive at 500gb which is a bit annoying so if you're planning to install lots of games the X is better.

Overall, it's a good little machine.

izzydiggler

I have the S and in terms of performance I haven't noticed any problems. The main draw of the X is whether you have a 4k telly (I don't) as the S only renders in 1080p max. It also has a smaller hard-drive at 500gb which is a bit annoying so if you're planning to install lots of games the X is better.

Overall, it's a good little machine.
1440p

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Leaked playtest images from Redfall - ignore the visual quality as that is one of the last things that are cleaned up and this was obviously not meant to be seen by the public but you can kinda get a feel for the type of game it is - shlooter with Destiny-inspired UI.

Alock1

Leaked playtest images from Redfall - ignore the visual quality as that is one of the last things that are cleaned up and this was obviously not meant to be seen by the public but you can kinda get a feel for the type of game it is - shlooter with Destiny-inspired UI.

Interested in this. If anybody could bring something a bit different to the genre it's Arkane.

Could see it going both ways.

Alock1

First thoughts, it's much nicer looking in person, pretty slick. Seems very solid and it's super quiet. I do think the shape is annoying though, at least the (far uglier) PS5 fits in my cabinet.

Setup was a breeze, very easy to do.

The UI is shite, all over the place, but that's to be expected as the MS UI is shite in general.

Quick resume is incredible.

Psychonauts 2 looks better than on PC. HDR and my LG OLED helps with that, and the seamless syncing of saves between PC and console is glorious.
This is what I've tried saying. Xbox is definitely not necessary if you have a gaming PC, but it's also very complimentary.

Shared gamepass, purchase on both for same price, cross-progression. People talk about 2nd screen for Switch all the time when tv is in use, its a similar story here.

Able to play mnkb at your desk or controller whilst relaxing on your sofa and without needing to buy a game twice or have multiple run throughs.

Best of both worlds innit.

Massive Spanner

This is what I've tried saying. Xbox is definitely not necessary if you have a gaming PC, but it's also very complimentary.

Shared gamepass, purchase on both for same price, cross-progression. People talk about 2nd screen for Switch all the time when tv is in use, its a similar story here.

Able to play mnkb at your desk or controller whilst relaxing on your sofa and without needing to buy a game twice or have multiple run throughs.

Best of both worlds innit.
Yeah, I still wouldn't tell anyone who already had a good gaming PC to get one if they were happy out but I like shiny things.

Alock1

Yeah, I still wouldn't tell anyone who already had a good gaming PC to get one if they were happy out but I like shiny things.
Well yeah just depends on circumstances innit.

I just think the narrative of 'absolutely no point' getting an Xbox if you have a PC is limited way of looking at it.

Less need sure, but maybe more point depending on the person.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Interesting. First I've heard of it.

Alock1

Enjoy your Xbox @Abraxas

So what are the gamepass games you've played so far then

NM

Hello everybody. Been a PS guy my entire life but couldn't get a PS5 and have got a series S as a Gamepass only / sales only (don't really care for Xbox exclusives too much but now I'll check!)

Any suggestions on:
1. Which gamepass games to get?
2. Is the xbox games with gold to gamepass ultimate upgrade deal still on?
3. Any old classics / exclusives I should visit on the xbox store?

Tagging @Alock1 @Damien @VeevaVee for some advise

Coxy

Hello everybody. Been a PS guy my entire life but couldn't get a PS5 and have got a series S as a Gamepass only / sales only (don't really care for Xbox exclusives too much but now I'll check!)

Any suggestions on:

What sort of games do you like? Hard to advise about the game pass games without knowing that.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604

Any suggestions on:

Ori, think atleast the first is on gameplass, maybe even both.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Any suggestions on:

1. Tough without knowing the genre of games you're into. Your posts in this forum seem to be mainly football, Star Wars or Pokemon but I'd say try the Final Fantasy games that are on there, Hades, Twelve Minutes seems to be fairly highly rated, all the Yakuza games for starters.
  2. Yes.
  3. Ori and the Blind Forest, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (both not quite exclusives as they appear on Switch but don't think you'll have either), Forza Horizon 4, Rare Replay has the classic Rare games, Sunset Overdrive and I guess the Halo/Gears games if you think they'll be your cup of tea but I'd say go down the Elder Scrolls route if you haven't played them even though the games on there aren't exclusive.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Any suggestions on:

I'm not sure about the deal. Will have to have a look on Reddit etc.

Games though:
Ori (the second one is much nicer looking and a touch easier but play both. Amazing games)
Hellblade
A Plague Tale
Sniper Elite 4
Sea of Thieves (right laugh with friends)
Rocket League (as above)
Flight Sim
Yakuza 0
Gears (meant to be really nice looking. Not had chance to play it yet)
The Ascent (not played it myself yet. Looks good though)

Then there's Halo MCC, Forza Horizon 4, and then all the EA Play games like Star Wars and sports games.

A lot of people rate Hades but it's not my thing.

That's off the top of my head for now.

Last edited:

Bosws87

If your coming from playstation then you have more then likely played the majority of games as 90% are on both platforms.

Both Ori games are outstanding possibly the best recent "exclusive" game on the XBOX, don't be fooled by the nice artwork and the cute looking character the game is difficult but rewarding.

Halo 1,2 and 3 are worth playing if you have never touched them basically any of them that bungie made think ODST was bungie to.

If you have never played Gears its a fun game visually great and a good laugh through the campaign.

Alan Wake Possibly but theres a remake in progress so maybe wait, i'm struggling after that forza is great if you like racing (not my thing)

Bosws87

That's a wild assumption. Some people don't buy every game ever
If someone asks for recommendations on a new platform you recommend the games only on that platform makes perfect sense.

No point me listing call of duty, battlefield, assassins creed and so on.