Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Balljy

The next tranche of GP games has been released. I still need to try out Evil Genius 2 from last week.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Halo is so good.
Reckon it's the best halo multi since 2. The maps and gameplay are spot on. I was loving Forza but whenever I've had chance I've been on Halo ranked since it came out (now Diamond tier! but feels generous)

Hope they ramp up the modes soon though. Particularly doubles, multi-team and swat. Hoping they are going to be introduced soon, even as limited time modes and we don't have to wait til season 2 for them.

Alock1

Can somebody play the Aliens game and let me know if it’s any good?
Don't need to play it to be 99% certain it'll be a good time if you don't have to pay for it/it's really cheap and you're able to smash through it with mates on co-op. Otherwise, probably pretty mediocre and forgettable (like Returnal)

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Did you play Alien Isolation? Was a game I wasn’t expecting much from but ended up really enjoying. Probably a bit too long and suffered with pacing issues; but a really good horror game if you’re into that.
Yep, I liked it. It was too long, though.

The previews for the Halo campaign have me hyped. December 8th can't get here quick enough.

Conor

Reckon it's the best halo multi since 2. The maps and gameplay are spot on. I was loving Forza but whenever I've had chance I've been on Halo ranked since it came out (now Diamond tier! but feels generous)

Hope they ramp up the modes soon though. Particularly doubles, multi-team and swat. Hoping they are going to be introduced soon, even as limited time modes and we don't have to wait til season 2 for them.
I never played Halo 2 when it was the latest game, but it certainly feels as good as Halo 3, which is my favourite MP game. I only played some social slayer(or whatever it's called in this game) for a couple of hours last night, but it feels and looks incredible at 120fps on a good monitor. I would like a BR start social playlist, the assault rifle is painful. I'll probably start playing ranked once I've the hang of my button mappings and sense etc.

Alock1

Interested to see how Halo Infinite reviews tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing more of the campaign.

Critics love a good 'return to form' story, especially when an old franchise is trying something new and looking to modernize. I think the open world and less linear aspects will have a mixed reception but generally really positive with the sandbox nature of BOTW/MGS but in a fps. I can see some knocking off points for a lack of biomes/environment diversity, and some finding it less fun to do your own thing and finding some of the side stuff tiresome.

It'll lose points for a lack of co-op and forge which would feel a bit unfair when it's based on expectation rather than the package that they are offering, with few games these days offering more content. Where multiplayer is pulled into the same review, it'll get some points knocked for the progression system too.

Not expecting much from the story. Reckon 84-85 on MC because of the points dropped for co-op/forge etc.

Last edited:

Castia

Series X is available on All Access through GAME. Tempting at £28 a month which includes Gamepass that I’d also use on PC.

Alock1

Halo Infinite bouncing around 85-87 currently. Amazing gameplay and sandbox, with a 'doesn't quite land' story and a lack of biomes. Considering this is a platform to build on with expansions 'for the next 10 years' that environmental diversity is something that will come later.

As expected, no co op knocks a few points off. Hopefully doesn't take too long for that to come as the game looks perfect for it.

Last edited:

Bosws87

Halo Infinite bouncing around 85-87 currently. Amazing gameplay and sandbox, with a 'doesn't quite land' story and a lack of biomes. Considering this is a platform to build on with expansions 'for the next 10 years' that environmental diversity is something that will come later.

As expected, no co op knocks a few points off. Hopefully doesn't take too long for that to come as the game looks perfect for it.
Nearly beat ratchet & Clank solid effort

Coxy

Halo is what got me in to Xbox, back in 2002. I've played quite a bit of the multiplayer since it launched - but desperate to get into the campaign. I've booked Thursday afternoon off so I can have some dedicated time - can't wait!

El General 1994

Great reviews for Halo.

I remember the (not so) good old days when I had to rely on avforums.com for gaming chat. The idiotic Ponies in there honestly thought Killzone 2 was better than Halo 3.

One day the Ponies will get a half decent FPS (don't even bother with Resistance).

And yes one day we Xbots will get a decent single player story driven game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've only played the original Halo and Halo 2 back in the day. Is it worth doing the entire MC Collection before this? Please say no.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Great reviews for Halo.

I remember the (not so) good old days when I had to rely on avforums.com for gaming chat. The idiotic Ponies in there honestly thought Killzone 2 was better than Halo 3.

One day the Ponies will get a half decent FPS (don't even bother with Resistance).

And yes one day we Xbots will get a decent single player story driven game.
The first Resistance was a great little game tbf. Never played the sequels.

I only ever played whichever Halo was on 360 as I had that console aswell (before 3 RROD’s convinced me to just get rid). Remember it being OK but after all my mates had hyped it so much I didn’t really ‘get’ it.

Bosws87

I’ll pick up the single player when it’s cheap on steam. Games far too geared to controller and console for me to ever take seriously multiplayer wise

Alock1

I've only played the original Halo and Halo 2 back in the day. Is it worth doing the entire MC Collection before this? Please say no.
Nah - the new one refers a lot to the lore from the past apparently, but even as somebody who has played them all, I know I'll get barely any references as the story never landed with me. Not sure if it's because it wasn't ever as good as some made it out to be, or if it's just because it's a shooter where the whole time you are just mowing down enemies in different locations and I couldn't care less why I'm doing it.

Plus, it seems that it's only really the core gameplay loop that keeps this being true to Halo. The story is super complicated at this point and whilst referenced, they take the story in multiple different directions in this one anyway it seems.

Alock1

I’ll pick up the single player when it’s cheap on steam. Games far too geared to controller and console for me to ever take seriously multiplayer wise
I've been doing well with mnkb on Xbox. Diamond in ranked on the crossplay/cross-input ladder. Controller aim assist is huge, but the movement and snap on advantages of m&kb make it more than a viable alternative. If you're good enough which I know you're meant to be, it shouldn't be a problem.

But even if it is.. just play the m&kb ranked lobby. What's the issue?

Bosws87

I've been doing well with mnkb on Xbox. Diamond in ranked on the crossplay/cross-input ladder. Controller aim assist is huge, but the movement and snap on advantages of m&kb make it more than a viable alternative. If you're good enough which I know you're meant to be, it shouldn't be a problem.

But even if it is.. just play the m&kb ranked lobby. What's the issue?
Im talking from actual stats

I have no problem with that being the audience they are looking for consoles and controller players just have no desire to put hours into a game when the average controller player is hitting the same accuracy as the top 100 mouse players in the world.

If that’s the competitive scene they want more power to them just not for me.

Alock1

Im talking from Factual stats

I have no problem with that being the audience they are looking for consoles and controller players just have no desire to put hours into a game when the average controller player is hitting the same accuracy as the top 100 mouse players in the world
But why cant you just play on the mouse only lobby? And then it's a non issue?

I've seen those stats and my take is the same (unless there's more in there beyond accuracy??). I'd be interested to see if mouse players do more and take less damage on average, which is my expectation. But either way, I don't see why it's an issue when the game gives the option to not mix with controller players.

Bosws87

But why cant you just play on the mouse only lobby? And then it's a non issue?

I've seen those stats and my take is the same (unless there's more in there beyond accuracy??). I'd be interested to see if mouse players do more and take less damage on average, which is my expectation. But either way, I don't see why it's an issue when the game gives the option to not mix with controller players.
when you have a stubborn friendship group that are console players only it’s a giant pain I still play the odd game to have a break from other games I’m just saying it’s not worth investing the majority of my time as I like to play on a evenish playing field against everyone.

Granted it’s impossible to balance perfectly but there’s examples even in the terrible call of duty game that it can be a lot closer.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Nah - the new one refers a lot to the lore from the past apparently, but even as somebody who has played them all, I know I'll get barely any references as the story never landed with me. Not sure if it's because it wasn't ever as good as some made it out to be, or if it's just because it's a shooter where the whole time you are just mowing down enemies in different locations and I couldn't care less why I'm doing it.

Plus, it seems that it's only really the core gameplay loop that keeps this being true to Halo. The story is super complicated at this point and whilst referenced, they take the story in multiple different directions in this one anyway it seems.
You're not alone. Right around the time of Reach they started to use the books and lore to come up with stories that only seemed to work for people who'd actually read the books and knew the backstory. If you look at the game that came before it, ODST, it was a fairly self-contained story and did an excellent job presenting things using atmosphere and dialogue. Halo 4 and especially 5 went balls deep into this again and IMO it made the games much worse.

Last edited:

Alock1

when you have a stubborn friendship group that are console players only it’s a giant pain I still play the odd game to have a break from other games I’m just saying it’s not worth investing the majority of my time as I like to play on a evenish playing field against everyone.

Granted it’s impossible to balance perfectly but there’s examples even in the terrible call of duty game that it can be a lot closer.
Fair enough! Let me know if there are any stats beyond accuracy as I think that paints an over exaggerated picture of the advantage. On mouse you can strafe better, react quicker and get the first shot off more often than not that I think the difference is smaller than suggested. It's a tad annoying but for me the game is more fun on m&kb and I'm better with it despite this being my first Halo on mouse, and an input I've only been using for 9 months or so. If you can be competitive then to me it's not a big deal. Have you tried placing on cross-input ranked and see where you land?

I've barely even touched Horizon 5 since getting Halo multiplayer as it's taken over for me. For me, the best non-BR multiplayer fps in a very long time (at least 5, maybe even 10 years). I don't have a gaming PC so can't compare to things like Valorant.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

It sounds like you’re the stubborn one. I’m sure you could have fun with mates still

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Fair enough! Let me know if there are any stats beyond accuracy as I think that paints an over exaggerated picture of the advantage. On mouse you can strafe better, react quicker and get the first shot off more often than not that I think the difference is smaller than suggested. It's a tad annoying but for me the game is more fun on m&kb and I'm better with it despite this being my first Halo on mouse, and an input I've only been using for 9 months or so. If you can be competitive then to me it's not a big deal. Have you tried placing on cross-input ranked and see where you land?

I've barely even touched Horizon 5 since getting Halo multiplayer as it's taken over for me. For me, the best non-BR multiplayer fps in a very long time (at least 5, maybe even 10 years). I don't have a gaming PC so can't compare to things like Valorant.
You never answered my question about cross inputs and why you play KBM now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of you and this is no attack. I'm just curious.

Alock1

is it worth upgrading from an Xbox One to an S? I wouldnt want to pay for an X really
My brother in law and a few mates have an S, and they all love it. It's tiny, and for the size and price the value is amazing. Especially if you combine it with 3 years of gamepass ultimate at £120. That's 3 years of gaming for £10pm including the price of the console and at the end you still have the console.

The main things to consider are how much do you care about 4k? Most S games will be 1080p or 1440p. The other is the memory - it's only got 500gb space and after OS there's only about 365gb of space. You can play last gen games from a HDD, but next-gen games will need to be on the console to play. You can use it as cold storage though, and copy games from the HDD onto the console and back so you don't have to keep re-downloading.

If you play something like COD, that 365gb goes quick. If not, you should be able to hold a good number of games but for somebody like me that swaps between a ton of gamepass and multiplayer games all the time, the memory would become an issue real fast.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Another factor is speed. It's just a much faster console and the quick resume feature is top notch, I couldn't go back to last gen after experiencing it (and I'm not really a snob about these things).

I do echo Alock though - if you're mostly playing CoD and FIFA then it's not the best because those games fill the HDD fast. Microsoft's games like Halo and Forza are better at compressing the assets so aren't as big.