Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Seems to be, haven't played it yet but apparently you can't even access non Vanguard weapons, operators etc. What a balls. A shame because it was probably at the most stable its ever been.
That isn't a bug is it? I thought that was the whole point (vanguard only guns)? Or do you mean it's fecked non-warzone modes too?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That isn't a bug is it? I thought that was the whole point (vanguard only guns)? Or do you mean it's fecked non-warzone modes too?
Nah no way, they didn't do it with Black Ops. I mean these are guns and operators people have paid real life money for.

It's probably a purposeful thing for a few weeks and they'll reintroduce them eventually but it's a dick move. The whole thing sounds like a mess.

Alock1

Looks so good. (doesn't seem to be embedding properly so you might have to click on it)

Doesn't seem to work even if you click through now. Here's another version. Looks great.

'Gameplay reveal' seems generous - where's the gameplay? Is somebody pressing RT when she throws the spear? Appreciate it's in-engine but still..

DavelinaJolie

People are still playing Warzone? Next you'll be telling me there's some sadsack out there still playing Apex Legends.

Alock1

Nah no way, they didn't do it with Black Ops. I mean these are guns and operators people have paid real life money for.

It's probably a purposeful thing for a few weeks and they'll reintroduce them eventually but it's a dick move. The whole thing sounds like a mess.
Ah right - i definitely read the other day that it's vanguard guns only but yeah, maybe just a short term thing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Doesn't seem to work even if you click through now. Here's another version. Looks great.

'Gameplay reveal' seems generous - where's the gameplay? Is somebody pressing RT when she throws the spear? Appreciate it's in-engine but still..
That's the one. Not sure but it does seem like they take control at points. The first one had surprisingly good graphics so I wouldn't be surprised if the gameplay did look like that.

Ainu

The parts where she's running towards the spears and stuff seems like gameplay. Possibly some of the walking through the cave in the beginning. Either way, it's extremely curated so gameplay is indeed a generous term. But I can believe this is how the game will more or less look when you're actually playing. They did a phenomenal job with the first game and this is Unreal Engine 5 after all. It'll be brilliant.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I couldn't get into the first one, it seemed like a cool, well made game but it was so slow and you had to walk and plod everywhere and the combat was meh, I didn't get it. Maybe the story was great? Felt more like a film than a game.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I couldn't get into the first one, it seemed like a cool, well made game but it was so slow and you had to walk and plod everywhere and the combat was meh, I didn't get it. Maybe the story was great? Felt more like a film than a game.
It all changed once you actually got the hellblade, about 2/3 of the way through. The combat was simple no doubt but it made more sense when you were getting mobbed towards the end of the game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It all changed once you actually got the hellblade, about 2/3 of the way through. The combat was simple no doubt but it made more sense when you were getting mobbed towards the end of the game.
Yeah it's one of those games that gets better as it goes on. I thought it was quite old school in that regard as a lot of games tend to start strongly and then get a bit middling in the middle before picking up again at the end. Hellblade is an upward trajectory throughout.

Volumiza

Yeah it's one of those games that gets better as it goes on. I thought it was quite old school in that regard as a lot of games tend to start strongly and then get a bit middling in the middle before picking up again at the end. Hellblade is an upward trajectory throughout.
Yeah, I do actually understand people who lost interest in the first act. The visual puzzles were a bit weird and not much else happens, but then later on, some of the levels are great, especially the one where you have to light the lanterns to stay safe and as you say, the crescendo was fantastic. I literally started it again straight away.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah, I do actually understand people who lost interest in the first act. The visual puzzles were a bit weird and not much else happens, but then later on, some of the levels are great, especially the one where you have to light the lanterns to stay safe and as you say, the crescendo was fantastic. I literally started it again straight away.
Yep. The first visual puzzle puzzled me. I had to look it up to figure out the answer, then they became obvious.

DavelinaJolie

It's a weird game isn't it? Bloody brilliant, but weird. So much hinges on the tension/atmosphere. The combat was kinda clunky but in a way, but then that felt like the point, it wouldn't make sense to "I've got a serious mental health disorder, am being haunted by giant demonic creatures trying to kill me... OMG I'M DEVIL MAY CRY COMBAT EXPERT!" They hit a bunch of things with the sound design, creature design, constricted world, visual puzzles and feel of playing the game and made a cohesive narrative.

Conor

Seems to be, haven't played it yet but apparently you can't even access non Vanguard weapons, operators etc. What a balls. A shame because it was probably at the most stable its ever been.
There is a BR where you can only use Vanguard stuff, and then a BR quads mode where you can use everything. The game is in bits though, one of my mates had to delete the whole thing and re-download and it's still not working for him. I was barely able to get into a game last night and when I did, I had a glitch where when I picked up a weapon it appeared as black shards that took up like 80% of my screen. It's amazing how bad they are at launching things.

Alock1

Obviously it's gonna be a bigger budget, bigger team, more resources and full UE5 with the MS backing, but I wonder if the 'feel' and style is very much the same, or if this gives them license to crack the combat / gameplay too. That was clearly an afterthought. They were an indie studio who were focused on motion cap and story afterall. I hope so. I've never been a fan of that type of game either.

Volumiza

That was clearly an afterthought.
How so? I genuinely thought the combat worked very well once you realised you had to parry and not just block, the whole combat hung on parrying. Once you got the rhythm of dodging, parrying and slicing the combat was smooth as silk and very engaging. Sure it didn''t have loads of moves but it was smooth and very cinematic.

Alock1

The parts where she's running towards the spears and stuff seems like gameplay. Possibly some of the walking through the cave in the beginning. Either way, it's extremely curated so gameplay is indeed a generous term. But I can believe this is how the game will more or less look when you're actually playing. They did a phenomenal job with the first game and this is Unreal Engine 5 after all. It'll be brilliant.
Yeah I'm sure it will look great. I was just hoping to see actually gameplay, or more combat really.

Alock1

How so? I genuinely thought the combat worked very well once you realised you had to parry and not just block, the whole combat hung on parrying. Once you got the rhythm of dodging, parrying and slicing the combat was smooth as silk and very engaging. Sure it didn''t have loads of moves but it was smooth and very cinematic.
I guess it just felt clunky and there wasn't enough of it, and enough variety when there was? For what it's worth, you could say that about a lot of games, even things like RDR2.

Volumiza

I guess it just felt clunky and there wasn't enough of it, and enough variety when there was? For what it's worth, you could say that about a lot of games, even things like RDR2.
I think I said in a previous post, the combat only really made sense in the final third of the game where you got crowded a bit more and you could link multiple attacks on multiple enemies. Anyway, I'm boring myself now, I loved it :)

Bosws87

Hellblade is one of those games where its incredible first time and a hell of a journey fantastic depiction of madness.

Once you have finished it though and look at the other elements of the game its solid but nothing groundbreaking (apart from the sound design which is top), so i'm really intrigued to see how the sequel turns out as i thought heavenly sword had great potential from Ninja Theory and that never happened.

Volumiza

Hellblade is one of those games where its incredible first time and a hell of a journey fantastic depiction of madness.

Once you have finished it though and look at the other elements of the game its solid but nothing groundbreaking (apart from the sound design which is top), so i'm really intrigued to see how the sequel turns out as i thought heavenly sword had great potential from Ninja Theory and that never happened.
I disagree massively :lol: I enjoyed it the second and third times (platinum hunting) much more as I immersed myself into the story on a level I didn't seem to on the first playthrough.

Ainu

The combat in Hellblade works because it has just the right weight behind it and feels so visceral, which suits the game. It doesn't need combos or skills or anything like that. Just good old light attack, heavy attack, dodge and block/parry. Where it shines is audio design, animations, world design and atmosphere. I do think a sequel is a bit of a risk, as I'm not sure this kind of experience works as well a second time around. We'll see, I fell in love with the first game when I played it so I'm certainly giving it a chance.

Volumiza

The combat in Hellblade works because it has just the right weight behind it and feels so visceral, which suits the game. It doesn't need combos or skills or anything like that. Just good old light attack, heavy attack, dodge and block/parry. Where it shines is audio design, animations, world design and atmosphere. I do think a sequel is a bit of a risk, as I'm not sure this kind of experience works as well a second time around. We'll see, I fell in love with the first game when I played it so I'm certainly giving it a chance.
I don't know, it all depends on if the Devs actually understand what made the first so great (pacing, growing tension, slo mo, awesome visuals, great sound and rousing soundtrack) and don't try and add too many layers on it. More isn't always more.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Another MSclusive? Hook it into my veins :drool:

Also agree the audio design in Hellblade is top notch. I played with the Xbox Headset and it was really eerie at times. With the swirling voices I kept looking at the door to make sure nobody was watching me :nervous:

Last edited:

Bebe

I'm 99% sure I will be getting a Series X at some point now, after having had nothing to do with the Xbone and never experiencing a single point of regret over that.

- Hellblade 2
- Exclusive Star Wars Quantic Dream game
- Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6 (who knows when)
- FPS Boost or whatever it's called
- Anything Obsidian Entertainment make (outer worlds 2/avowed)

Forza, Halo and Gears don't hurt either, although my interest in all three is lukewarm at best. All in all, really nice to see MS make this comeback. They seem interested in making a product that appeals to me again.

Bosws87

I'm 99% sure I will be getting a Series X at some point now, after having had nothing to do with the Xbone and never experiencing a single point of regret over that.

- Hellblade 2
- Exclusive Star Wars Quantic Dream game
- Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6 (who knows when)
- FPS Boost or whatever it's called
- Anything Obsidian Entertainment make (outer worlds 2/avowed)

Forza, Halo and Gears don't hurt either, although my interest in all three is lukewarm at best. All in all, really nice to see MS make this comeback. They seem interested in making a product that appeals to me again.
Its on everything that isn't it old gen new gen playstation/xbox.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
loving the xbox X since the switch from Playstation, gamepass ultimate for 3 years for just over £110 is a steal too