Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sony sausages giving it the big one about exclusives all that time and now MS are showing em how it’s done in the big leagues :lol:

Le reap what le sow
I'll never understand this. It's like reading something from a football fan but it's about consoles?

Why do people support one over the other and brag when the company they like does something? I just buy the one that has the most games I'm interested in. If Xbox got exclusive to all the games I like then I'd switch consoles. I always win whilst big corporations duke it out.

passing-wind

Unless MS keep game pass as a valued proposition, surely the cost for consumers will increase.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
My guess is COD goes on Game Pass but isn't exclusive. That would be ideal, as their mp games are mostly dogshit but WZ, when it works can be great, so being able to level stuff up quicker in mp without shelling out for it works for me.

Hopefully things change at Activision, as it sounds like they're as scummy in person as they are in looking after their customers.

Traub

With this purchase, are Microsoft angling to have gamepass on the PS5? It may be the only way for Sony to continue (in the very long run).

Chairman Steve

I look back at Blizzard and think they just get it worse and worse as time goes on. 20 years ago, it was like them, Valve and id who were the best in class for PC games and everyone would look forward to the next game those 3 companies put out.

Battle.net predates Steam by a good 7 years or so. They were the first company to have the concept for an online game client despite Steam being the popular one everyone knows about and how Steam = PC Gaming in a lot of peoples minds these days.

Then they got acquired by Activision in 2008 and then all the good devs left like the original Diablo devs, the original Warcraft devs, the original Starcraft devs… now they’re doing Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 I believe with devs who weren’t involved in the originals and now they’re owned by fecking Microsoft.

I feel like Blizzard are a cautionary tale of what happens when a small company gets too successful for its own good. I get the feeling Valve have learned of this and decided to keep being a private company (famously not allowing any outside interference) and essentially making themselves a huge entity in gaming by expanding Steam from just being the Valve online game client to the leader in the digital distribution market for games and therefore extremely hard to buy as a company as they themselves are now huge.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
My guess is COD goes on Game Pass but isn't exclusive. That would be ideal, as their mp games are mostly dogshit but WZ, when it works can be great, so being able to level stuff up quicker in mp without shelling out for it works for me.

Hopefully things change at Activision, as it sounds like they're as scummy in person as they are in looking after their customers.
COD will be exclusive apart from Warzone which will come under the ESO/Fallout 76 category.

With this purchase, are Microsoft angling to have gamepass on the PS5? It may be the only way for Sony to continue (in the very long run).
Nope. It is bigger than that. They want to take sales away from PlayStation and know there is no way Sony would agree to have a Game Pass app when Xbox would get most of the revenue from it, just like Xbox wouldn't agree to having a PSNow or whatever app for PS exclusives on their platform.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'll never understand this. It's like reading something from a football fan but it's about consoles?

Why do people support one over the other and brag when the company they like does something? I just buy the one that has the most games I'm interested in. If Xbox got exclusive to all the games I like then I'd switch consoles. I always win whilst big corporations duke it out.
Did you miss the part where the Sony fanboys here went rabid for like 12 months?

The Xbox crowd just entertained them for a laugh and it all got a bit out of hand. The whole reason I got involved is because I said the same as you plus that both new consoles will be largely as good as each other anyway, and got jumped on by a few hardcore Sony junkies. It was all a bit weird although entertaining at times.

So now any chance to stick the knife in gets taken, and exclusives being their whole thing is not one I'm going to pass up on.

Ainu

COD will be exclusive apart from Warzone which will come under the ESO/Fallout 76 category.

Nope. It is bigger than that. They want to take sales away from PlayStation and know there is no way Sony would agree to have a Game Pass app when Xbox would get most of the revenue from it, just like Xbox wouldn't agree to having a PSNow or whatever app for PS exclusives on their platform.
In my opinion Microsoft would absolutely agree to having a PS Now on their platform because they have much more to gain by getting Playstation titles on their platform. You'd need a Game Pass sub to play so many games anyway.

Did you miss the part where the Sony fanboys here went rabid for like 12 months?

The Xbox crowd just entertained them for a laugh and it all got a bit out of hand. The whole reason I got involved is because I said the same as you plus that both new consoles will be largely as good as each other anyway, and got jumped on by a few hardcore Sony junkies. It was all a bit weird although entertaining at times.

So now any chance to stick the knife in gets taken, and exclusives being their whole thing is not one I'm going to pass up on.
But you've literally become like a worse version of what you were up against in the first place, it's so weird. :lol: I like you better when you're talking about kebabs.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Must've! I find it weird regardless of 'side'.

Castia

Massive Blizzard fan throughout the years there was a point back in the late 90’s and 00’s where every release was an absolute classic. There was rumours about WoW on consoles I’d be amazed if it didn’t get a Xbox port now.

Amazing pick up for Microsoft I can’t imagine what gamepass is going to look like at the end of this gen.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is that confirmed? I guess that's playing hardball.
Just common sense. Look at what they've done with Bethesda. Starfield and future ESO/Fallout games will be Xbox/PC exclusive but Fallout 76 and ESO stay the way they are. Won't be any different with Activision-Blizzard games. They want to take the userbase away from PS and into their ecosystem whether that be on Game Pass or buying it on Xbox/PC.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

That's exactly what I did this gen tbh. Microsoft had a fecking nightmare with the Xbox One and Sony's market lead was obviously humongous. I figured Microsoft was about to go hard into supporting Xbox whilst Sony would continue to operate in a similar way to how they did with PS4.

It happens a lot in the gaming/tech industry. e.g. Nintendo flopped hard after the Wii, then put massive focus into the Switch after the Wii U debacle.

As you say, brand loyalty is a bit pointless.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
That's exactly what I did this gen tbh. Microsoft had a fecking nightmare with the Xbox One and Sony's market lead was obviously humongous. I figured Microsoft was about to go hard into supporting Xbox whilst Sony would probably continue a similar trend like they did going from PS2 > PS3.

It happens all the time in the gaming/tech industry. e.g. Nintendo flopped hard after the Wii, then put massive attention into the Switch after Wii U.

As you say, brand loyalty is pointless.
Everyone just feels so defensive :lol: The moment anything happens everyone's like "Whahey shows you lot!" as if they had any part in it. I suppose football is similar but at least a crowd actually cheer on a team and have an impact.

Bosws87

No they are angling to have consoles/hardware to be non existent it will all be cloud based and you will have to subscribe to gamepass to play their games.

They will have such a monopoly on publishers that everyone will have to be on their platform and Sony if they want to continue would have to publish games on their platform.

Think more Microsoft running an IOS/google play Store and to have any games you have to go through them and they get a cut of everything

Moby

Dick
In my opinion Microsoft would absolutely agree to having a PS Now on their platform because they have much more to gain by getting Playstation titles on their platform. You'd need a Game Pass sub to play so many games anyway.
Yeah, that would actually kill the PS sales no? Plenty of people opt for PS for their exclusives.

Similarly MS allowing Sony access to Gamepass would hurt them more.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Must've! I find it weird regardless of 'side'.
It is weird. A few seemed to genuinely be serious about it all. I was actually thinking about switching back to PS until it seemed like Xbox had the better package this time.

Our Elvis even pulled up an old post that said as much during The Great Console War, which just made the people being serious about it look a bit silly.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
No they are angling to have consoles/hardware to be non existent it will all be cloud based and you will have to subscribe to gamepass to play their games.

They will have such a monopoly on publishers that everyone will have to be on their platform and Sony if they want to continue would have to publish games on their platform.

Think more Microsoft running an IOS/google play Store and to have any games you have to go through them and they get a cut of everything
I hope that doesn't happen but I am enjoying some of the crossover. They brought MLB The Show over to Xbox and I really enjoyed that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I own both consoles and I think this deal just sucks for gamers, doesn't matter which "side" you're on. Might seem good for people right now with a series S/X and game pass but in the long term this sort of thing will be bad for everyone. Microsoft have a terrible history of monopolising and it looks like they're doing it here too.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Everyone just feels so defensive :lol: The moment anything happens everyone's like "Whahey shows you lot!" as if they had any part in it. I suppose football is similar but at least a crowd actually cheer on a team and have an impact.
True but it's been happening in gaming for ages and is basically part of the culture. N64 vs PS1. Xbox vs PS2 etc

It's petulant and stupid and childish but sometimes you can't help it when it means winding up people like @esmufc07 :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just common sense. Look at what they've done with Bethesda. Starfield and future ESO/Fallout games will be Xbox/PC exclusive but Fallout 76 and ESO stay the way they are. Won't be any different with Activision-Blizzard games. They want to take the userbase away from PS and into their ecosystem whether that be on Game Pass or buying it on Xbox/PC.
Putting their mp games on Game Pass but not making them exclusives potentially has a similar, if lesser effect but without taking any potential money off the table. Depends how hardball they want to play it and whether less COD sales (including in game purchases) would be worth it. It probably would be ultimately, but we'll see. Wouldn't be surprised with either.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just another step along the road to MS/Apple/Google/Facebook etc owning absolutely fecking everything. :(

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I own both consoles and I think this deal just sucks for gamers, doesn't matter which "side" you're on. Might seem good for people right now with a series S/X and game pass but in the long term this sort of thing will be bad for everyone. Microsoft have a terrible history of monopolising and it looks like they're doing it here too.
The rot set in few years ago when certain developers began releasing incremental updates instead of developing proper experiences. Activision is one of the worst companies for this sort of thing, along with EA, and if I don't have to pay £70 to play their yearly updates, then it takes some sting out of it.

I think the bigger problem will be if/when proper developers like Platinum, Sony Studios, Rockstar, FromSoftware, etc start getting eaten up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Activision are terrible for gaming anyway. Probably worse than EA. If this means there’ll be better quality standards set then at least that’s something. It is just an if though.

They certainly need a shake up at the very least.

And that’s before we even get to how horrible it sounds to work for them.

Bosws87

The rot set in few years ago when certain developers began releasing incremental updates instead of developing proper experiences. Activision is one of the worst companies for this sort of thing, along with EA, and if I don't have to pay £70 to play their yearly updates, then it takes some sting out of it.

I think the bigger problem will be if/when proper developers like Platinum, Sony Studios, Rockstar, FromSoftware, etc start getting eaten up.
No the rot set in when people agreed to pay extra to play games they already own online, pioneered by Microsoft.

You can see exactly where they are heading but people would rather argue about which games people can or cannot play.

Now you pay to temporarily own a game on your system at home (could be years could be months) then you will pay to temporarily have access to a game being run on a server in a data centre streamed to your tv/phone/tablet etc both parties are guilty of the cloud one but Microsoft seemed to be pushing it hard.

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Scenes when MS buys Sony Studios

Ainu

Activision are terrible for gaming anyway. Probably worse than EA. If this means there’ll be better quality standards set then at least that’s something. It is just an if though.

It can't really get worse and I generally like the way Microsoft, or at least Xbox Studios, treat their gaming division these days. I just hope this is where the consolidation stops.

DavelinaJolie

No the rot set in when people agreed to pay extra to play games they already own online, pioneered by Microsoft.

You can see exactly where they are heading but people would rather argue about which games people can or cannot play.

Now you pay to temporarily own a game on your system at home (could be years could be months) then you will pay to temporarily have access to a game being run on a server in a data centre streamed to your tv/phone/tablet etc.
But you're console warring in your own post, "pioneered by Microsoft" Like Sony didn't jump on the train the first chance they got? Singling one asshole company out over other asshole companies doing exactly the same thing.

All these companies, their end goal is making as much money as possible. Anyone thinking "Yeah, Microsoft are looking out for me!" Or "Sony truly care about Gamers!" Is a nitwit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Yeah I don't think anybody will argue the additional cost was anything but annoying.

Still, I think gamepass is the best variation so far - or at least the most stomachable. PS+ has been up and down but largely decent with the extra games.

It's the likes of Nintendo who need to be taken out back and given a strong talking to. They ruined their virtual console service the way they did it.

b82REZ

The last Activision published game I bought was Sekiro, but I play Hearthstone daily (which really won't make any difference as it'd be awful on console if PC performance in recent years is anything to go by) so I don't care about missing on the games MS will make exclusive. What worries is the long term ramifications on the industry as a whole.

MS were badly hurt when their plans to introduce DRM on their titles was shot down with the Bone, but they've found a way to sweeten that pill with Gamepass. Once they have a monopoly on the industry (as this acquisition shows is their long term plan) I may give up on gaming altogether.

Bosws87

But you're console warring in your own post, "pioneered by Microsoft" Like Sony didn't jump on the train the first chance they got? Singling one asshole company out over other asshole companies doing exactly the same thing.

All these companies, their end goal is making as much money as possible. Anyone thinking "Yeah, Microsoft are looking out for me!" Or "Sony truly care about Gamers!" Is a nitwit.
Of course I’ll call Microsoft out, they are trying to destroy something I’m passionate about.

All companies want to make money but there’s different approaches one platform has tried new IP’s brand new experiences and has helped developed some of the best known single player experiences another has just tried to buy up the market instead of investing their near unlimited resources into procuring talent and creating new experiences.

Fully Fledged

It is weird. A few seemed to genuinely be serious about it all. I was actually thinking about switching back to PS until it seemed like Xbox had the better package this time.

Our Elvis even pulled up an old post that said as much during The Great Console War, which just made the people being serious about it look a bit silly.
I think anyone being serious about it looks a bit silly any way. They are gaming platforms FFS they are meant to be fun any rivalry between them should surely be fun.

Fully Fledged

That's the big shake up they need. They are leaking talent like there is no tomorrow. They need to get their house in order if they are to continue being a major player.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Blizzard haven't made a good game since diablo 2. Maybe microsoft will change that, miraculously.

70billion, that's insane. They sure have money to burn. Remember when people were laughing at sony for investing a couple of billions for their CELL CPU for the ps3? Still, I think sony and nintendo will be fine. In this industry software is what matters and these companies have enough resources and IPs to keep making good games. Microsoft can't buy everything, can they?

Anyone remember, I think they tried to buy Nintendo in the late 90s/early 00s? Hah. As long as the japanese hold firm there won't be microsoft only gaming. Thank god.

edit: I wonder if Sony would entertain the idea of selling their gaming division for 100-150 billion?

Fully Fledged

Now you pay to temporarily own a game on your system at home (could be years could be months) then you will pay to temporarily have access to a game being run on a server in a data centre streamed to your tv/phone/tablet etc both parties are guilty of the cloud one but Microsoft seemed to be pushing it hard.
No you pay to subscribe to a service. Games come in and out of that service on a regular basis. You do not own them you do not rent them you pay a subscription to a service they may be on from time to time.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Of course I’ll call Microsoft out, they are trying to destroy something I’m passionate about.

All companies want to make money but there’s different approaches one platform has tried new IP’s brand new experiences and has helped developed some of the best known single player experiences another has just tried to buy up the market instead of investing their near unlimited resources into procuring talent and creating new experiences.
While true, I wonder if Sega felt like that when Sony paid for those exclusive deals on the PS2 and put them out of business as a console developer.*

*Accepting Sega's own faults, of which there were many.

Edit - Aware this is a false equivalence :)

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Blizzard haven't made a good game since diablo 2. Maybe microsoft will change that, miraculously.

70billion, that's insane. They sure have money to burn. Remember when people were laughing at sony for investing a couple of billions for their CELL CPU for the ps3? Still, I think sony and nintendo will be fine. In this industry software is what matters and these companies have enough resources and IPs to keep making good games. Microsoft can't buy everything, can they?

Anyone remember, I think they tried to buy Nintendo in the late 90s/early 00s? Hah. As long as the japanese hold firm there won't be microsoft only gaming. Thank god.

edit: I wonder if Sony would entertain the idea of selling their gaming division for 100-150 billion?
No chance. Sony's gaming division is a big part of why they didn't go completely bust.

Fully Fledged

Tencent actually own more than Microsoft.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

It's the kids, innit? When they grow up and have to pay for these things themselves they will understand that none of this really matters.