Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's a bit weird because I almost feel like I'm not really getting the value of the subscription. Sure if I was 18 years old and could play games for 10 hours a day, but having a full time job, a family and a partner with caring commitments, I don't get the time to play through as many games as I'd like. Just on my list to play at the moment I've got the Hitman games, Danganronpa 2, Nonary Games, Omno, Bugsnax...All that will probably take me to past Christmas. And that's before I get to the games I actually own.
I have actually been wanting to sell one of my consoles not because I needed the money or anything but because I’d want to reduce my backlog and have fewer games to care about. :lol: I will probably never get down to this though as I have GPU paid until 2025 and a big collection of PS4/PS5 games in my library that I could not sell, as well as significant collection of Switch games also bought digitally that I would have no use for. But at least I am restricting myself to buying only 3 new games a year now, which doesn’t actually go far when subscription services keep adding games I want to play. I somewhat miss the days of PS2 where I had to save up for several weeks before I got the game and then played it until there was nothing more to do in that game. To an extent even in PS3/360 era I was able to keep it clean.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ooo Jurassic World and Sniper Elite for me.

Although I’m also in the not getting to play much now group.

It's a bit weird because I almost feel like I'm not really getting the value of the subscription. Sure if I was 18 years old and could play games for 10 hours a day, but having a full time job, a family and a partner with caring commitments, I don't get the time to play through as many games as I'd like. Just on my list to play at the moment I've got the Hitman games, Danganronpa 2, Nonary Games, Omno, Bugsnax...All that will probably take me to past Christmas. And that's before I get to the games I actually own.
That in a year doesn’t too bad. Depends if you’re paying monthly or got a good deal I guess.

Ignore the children who live for games.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Leading on from this, Guardians is a great game and perfect for Gamepass. I'd probably have been annoyed paying full price for it but it's well worth playing when it's on GP.
To be fair I was just expressing a personal opinion/talking out of my arse.

The success of Spider-man, and to a lesser extent Guardians, is clearly enough to justify Sony's decision. They're not my kind of games but are very popular.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Leading on from this, Guardians is a great game and perfect for Gamepass. I'd probably have been annoyed paying full price for it but it's well worth playing when it's on GP.
Lolwut?

No, it's not a great game, it's actually pretty mundane and obvious where the budget went. However it's not shit, and you are correct that it's perfect for gamepass. We are allowed to think some of those gamepass games you'd never have played are worth the money for the GP, as many totally are. We are also allowed to spot the "straight to dvd" comparisons.

On a different note, I find it interesting we aren't talking more about the Netflix issues of late in here. It's almost like the Uber issues too. Things certainly need to evolve further, I just wonder at what point the gamepass starts to look less appealing (if ever of course, as let's face it we aren't cutting out Netflix any time soon...though I don't use uber for shit anymore so personal progress for the win!).

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Lolwut?

No, it's not a great game, it's actually pretty mundane and obvious where the budget went. However it's not shit, and you are correct that it's perfect for gamepass. We are allowed to think some of those gamepass games you'd never have played are worth the money for the GP, as many totally are. We are also allowed to spot the "straight to dvd" comparisons.

On a different note, I find it interesting we aren't talking more about the Netflix issues of late in here. It's almost like the Uber issues too. Things certainly need to evolve further, I just wonder at what point the gamepass starts to look less appealing (if ever of course, as let's face it we aren't cutting out Netflix any time soon...though I don't use uber for shit anymore so personal progress for the win!).
A good point but it depends I think as Gamepass is many things to many different people.

There's the group who seem to want it being akin to Netflix Originals with focus on 'quality' original content and exclusives. This is probably the group people would define as being 'hardcore' - those who are more outspoken about the dross and not always content with poorer monthly releases.

Then there's the group that like the value of Gamepass and enjoy going back through the archives. This is somewhat similar to Netflix in its early days where it was enjoyable to have a service that offered something you couldn't get elsewhere. The 'casual' and easier to please group, if you will.

Regardless, the service will need to evolve over time. Even the second group will get more testy after they've played all the best games it offers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Lolwut?

Great is an overstatement to be fair. It's a lot of fun, though, it knows what it is and it does it well and manages to be enjoyable and not overstay its welcome or overcomplicate things (looking at you, Horizon).

I'm still not sure where I stand on GP. MS promised us a service with day one AAA exclusives and it has largely been devoid of that because of the failings of their own studios, but I also can't deny that it has gotten me to play a lot of very good games I otherwise wouldn't have, and maybe that on its own makes it a worthwhile investment. I will say that the Series X is a great machine and so far I haven't actually used it to play any games that take full advantage of it and that in itself is a damning inditement of what MS promised us with GP.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Is it a stealth game only? I hate stealth mechanics.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Is it a stealth game only? I hate stealth mechanics.
I've only played one game in the series - think it was 3 - but a bit of yes and no.

It's not stealth like, don't get spotted ever or you'll die instantly. It's more like, find some cover and kill the bad guys, but make sure to run to another spot when your cover inevitably gets blown.

It reminds me of a PS2 era game but with better graphics.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I've only played one game in the series - think it was 3 - but a bit of yes and no.

It's not stealth like, don't get spotted ever or you'll die instantly. It's more like, find some cover and kill the bad guys, but make sure to run to another spot when your cover inevitably gets blown.

It reminds me of a PS2 era game but with better graphics.

Ah ok - that actually looks very fun. Got no problem with games that give you the option of being stealthy, or using a bit of stealth. I will be trying this.

Dan

Eurogamer gave Sniper Elite 5 an essential. Certainly didn't see that coming.

It's on gamepass :cool:
Never played the Sniper Elite games until 4 was on Game Pass, now I love them, already pre-loading 5 right now. :drool:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Anyone else playing sniper Elite 5 on GP? It's more of the same from 4 but it's still fun.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I only played Sniper Elite 4 briefly because I discovered it a few weeks ago and I knew the new one was coming. I must say I am finding 5 very difficult so far at medium level, it’s unlike other stealth games where you kind of now where your opponents are, and also the fact maps aren’t completely open and you cannot get over fences, climb, or even go into the bush makes it tough to plan your attack. It will take me a while to get used to it as I expected it to be a little Hitman-like but I’m sure I will grasp it eventually.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If you forgot to redeem Hydro Thunder Hurricane when it was given away on Games with Gold in 2017, the good news is they're offering it again in 2022.

If you forgot to redeem Super Meat Boy when it was given away on Games with Gold in 2016, the good news is they're offering it again in 2022.

Bosws87

Super Meat Boy is a fantastic game and one of the best/hardest platformers around definitely worth a shot if you haven't played it before and like the 2d platformers.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I only played Sniper Elite 4 briefly because I discovered it a few weeks ago and I knew the new one was coming. I must say I am finding 5 very difficult so far at medium level, it’s unlike other stealth games where you kind of now where your opponents are, and also the fact maps aren’t completely open and you cannot get over fences, climb, or even go into the bush makes it tough to plan your attack. It will take me a while to get used to it as I expected it to be a little Hitman-like but I’m sure I will grasp it eventually.
Booted it up yesterday and had much the same issue. I'm a fan of stealth games but wasn't sure how to approach it.

I found it quite easy on medium tbh so put it on hard and found myself getting slaughtered. Once you run out of silenced bullets all hell breaks loose.

It took me 3 hours to beat the first level, including the optional extras. I also had to restart it 5 times because of game breaking bugs :nervous:

The story is terrible but it's a fun throwback to older games that didn't take themselves too seriously.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Looking forward to the 'meh, nothing that excites me here' take from @afrocentricity this Sunday before he cries into his pillow

Alock1

What are you expecting? Anything in 2022?
Not much for this year to be honest.

Deathloop + DLC, some unnecessary remaster - Banjo/Gears Collection/Goldeneye, Grounded release, Forza reboot, Forza Horizon DLC and presumably some decent 3rd party gamepass day 1 games. Maybe they'll show Halo Forge and co-op but unless the BR mode that Certain Affinity are apparently working on is ready to show, I wouldn't be surprised if Halo Infinite skips completely. Think one of the announcements will be a shadow drop - either Grounded, Forza Horizon DLC or a surprise gamepass announcement (maybe Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Diablo 2 Remaster, Suicide Squad/Gotham Knights). Maybe State of Decay 3 is this year but I doubt it, since Starfield and Redfall were penned in.

For next year, could see them showing Starfield, Redfall, Avowed, one of Indiana Jones or Wolfenstein 3, Contraband, and then new IP from one of Coalition, InExile and Obsidian. Maybe Hellblade 2 but we did see gameplay not too long ago. Could see something from ID Software too, maybe Quake reboot.

Think Fable, Everwild, Outer Worlds 2 and Perfect Dark are all 2024/2025 so only expecting one of them to show, if any.

Not expecting Activision to show up. Only one that could be possible is Diablo 4.

Last edited:

Alock1

I think Zenimax Online are working on a new online IP, so maybe that could release this year. Next year will probably look stacked with Redfall and Starfield moving into it, but no doubt some of those games next year will be delayed and moved into 2024.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Deathloop + DLC, some unnecessary remaster - Banjo or Gears Collection, Grounded release, Forza reboot, Forza Horizon DLC and presumably some decent 3rd party gamepass day 1 games. Maybe they'll show Halo Forge and co-op but unless the BR mode that Certain Affinity are apparently working on is ready to show, I wouldn't be surprised if Halo Infinite skips completely. Think one of the announcements will be a shadow drop - either Grounded, Forza Horizon DLC or a surprise gamepass announcement (maybe Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Diablo 2 Remaster, Suicide Squad/Gotham Knights). Maybe State of Decay 3 is this year but I doubt it, since Starfield and Redfall were penned in.

For next year, could see them showing Starfield, Redfall, Avowed, one of Indiana Jones or Wolfenstein 3, Contraband, and then new IP from one of Coalition, InExile and Obsidian. Maybe Hellblade 2 but we did see gameplay not too long ago. Could see something from ID Software too, maybe Quake reboot.

Think Fable, Everwild, Outer Worlds 2 and Perfect Dark are all 2024/2025 so only expecting one of them to show, if any.

Not expecting Activision to show up. Only one that could be possible is Diablo 4.
That's fecking depressing. Two years into the lifecycle of the console and we still won't have a proper next gen exclusive for it (and PC, obviously).

Alock1

That's fecking depressing. Two years into the lifecycle of the console and we still won't have a proper next gen exclusive for it (and PC, obviously).
Clearly you haven't played Gears of War Hivebusters

b82REZ

Deathloop + DLC, some unnecessary remaster - Banjo/Gears Collection/Goldeneye, Grounded release, Forza reboot, Forza Horizon DLC and presumably some decent 3rd party gamepass day 1 games. Maybe they'll show Halo Forge and co-op but unless the BR mode that Certain Affinity are apparently working on is ready to show, I wouldn't be surprised if Halo Infinite skips completely. Think one of the announcements will be a shadow drop - either Grounded, Forza Horizon DLC or a surprise gamepass announcement (maybe Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Diablo 2 Remaster, Suicide Squad/Gotham Knights). Maybe State of Decay 3 is this year but I doubt it, since Starfield and Redfall were penned in.

Are you genuinely happy with that catalogue?

I desperately want a big MS exclusive to hit so I can justify grabbing a Series X but all their announcements and releases are rehashed, old IP for the most part.

Maybe the Bethesda games will eventually sway me but by then I'll have my Steam Deck and probably a new desktop so will I really need a Series X? Another worrying thing is they're using the same engine that they've been using since Fallout 3. That simply isn't going to cut it for a real next gen experience IMO.

Alock1

I desperately want a big MS exclusive to hit so I can justify grabbing a Series X but all their announcements and releases are rehashed, old IP for the most part.

Maybe the Bethesda games will eventually sway me but by then I'll have my Steam Deck and probably a new desktop so will I really need a Series X? Another worrying thing is they're using the same engine that they've been using since Fallout 3. That simply isn't going to cut it for a real next gen experience IMO.
This year is looking disappointing, but I think 23 onwards look amazing. I really don't care whether it's a new IP or a reboot as I think Perfect Dark, Fable and the likes have plenty of room in them. Will get some new IP from InExile, Coalition and Obsidian - and already have the likes of Avowed, Contraband, Redfall, Starfield and Everwild on the way in terms of new IP. With those 5 plus the multiple studios bringing new IPs to the table that are unannounced then I struggle to get behind the 'old, rehashed' narrative. Especially when you add first-time sequels like Hellblade and The Outer Worlds.

For people who don't have a PC or just like gaming on a TV and find console more preferable, Series X can more than justify itself just with gamepass and being a great machine for 3p games. There's already been some good 1p stuff - Halo, Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim.

But yeah, this year I think is lacking especially after the momentum they built in the 2nd half of last year.

b82REZ

This year is looking disappointing, but I think 23 onwards look amazing. I really don't care whether it's a new IP or a reboot as I think Perfect Dark, Fable and the likes have plenty of room in them. Will get some new IP from InExile, Coalition and Obsidian - and already have the likes of Avowed, Contraband, Redfall, Starfield and Everwild on the way in terms of new IP. With those 5 plus the multiple studios bringing new IPs to the table that are unannounced then I struggle to get behind the 'old, rehashed' narrative. Especially when you add first-time sequels like Hellblade and The Outer Worlds.

For people who don't have a PC or just like gaming on a TV and find console more preferable, Series X can more than justify itself just with gamepass and being a great machine for 3p games. There's already been some good 1p stuff - Halo, Psychonauts 2, Flight Sim.

But yeah, this year I think is lacking especially after the momentum they built in the 2nd half of last year.
It's been lacking its whole lifespan, and throughout last gen too.

I feel you and many others are hanging your hat on the fact something good must come, eventually, surely. I just don't see it yet, and the developers MS have purchased have been on a downward spiral for a while now.

I know we have very different preferences in games but the games you listed are all so similar and (IMO at least) as cookie cutter as they come.

I do hope eventually MS get their act together as real competition is only good for the industry. But I still get the feeling they're more interested in saturating the market with GP and to gain a monopoly of large, western developers.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

As opposed to what though? The competition rehashes IPs for fun without any criticism. Usually with a healthy dose of overrating too.
MS exclusives look far more interesting over the next 5 years in my opinion. Particularly Starfield and Hellblade 2 in the near future. Calling these two cookie cutter is off the mark to say the least. I'm not sure what you're playing elsewhere that's so out there, because it ain't Rachet & Clank and Gran Turismo.

Of course you wouldn't need a Series X if you have a new desktop. Not sure how that's an issue though?

b82REZ

As opposed to what though? The competition rehashes IPs for fun without any criticism. Usually with a healthy dose of overrating too.
MS exclusives look far more interesting over the next 5 years in my opinion. Particularly Starfield and Hellblade 2 in the near future. Calling these two cookie cutter is off the mark to say the least. I'm not sure what you're playing elsewhere that's so out there, because it ain't Rachet & Clank and Gran Turismo.

Of course you wouldn't need a Series X if you have a new desktop. Not sure how that's an issue though?
What have you seen of Starfield to make such bold predictions? Considering it's being made in an ancient engine hardly screams next gen or revolutionary. It'll be Fallout in space.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using same IP or making sequels, but MS seem to be trying to tap into nostalgia for games that were never particularly big hitters.

Halo and Forza have always been their flagships and one of them is already dead. Although Forza Horizon does give me FOMO. Neither have really shifted units so expecting games we no little to nothing about to be the system sellers seems a tad optimistic.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What have you seen of Starfield to make such bold predictions? Considering it's being made in an ancient engine hardly screams next gen or revolutionary. It'll be Fallout in space.

There's nothing inherently wrong with using same IP or making sequels, but MS seem to be trying to tap into nostalgia for games that were never particularly big hitters.

Halo and Forza have always been their flagships and one of them is already dead. Although Forza Horizon does give me FOMO. Neither have really shifted units so expecting games we no little to nothing about to be the system sellers seems a tad optimistic.
As far as I'm aware this is a new version of the engine? It could end up very similar but the game still looks like it's going to be good, and something new too. They've said they've totally overhauled it however, especially the animations. Remains to be seen whether they have, but may as well be cautiously optimistic.

There aren't many games that are particularly revolutionary. Which ones are you looking forward to?

Alock1

Well of course.. games take a long time to make so we haven't yet seen the benefit of their aggressive acquisition strategy but its pretty clear its going to come pay dividends long term.

Even in the last 12 month their 1st party output has been Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. Had the Bethesda acquisition happened sooner then Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo would have been console exclusive to Xbox, and that output over 12 months is as strong as anybody else is putting out. That's before factoring in Activision too.

You ask what people have seen of Starfield but equally you are dismissing a lot of new IP (5 announced, another 5 plus unannounced), despite them coming from reputable studios with previous quality titles.

It's fair to question whether they will be best game of the year quality but clearly there's a diverse range of good to very good games coming, all to gamepass day 1.

Gamepass is the system seller. I'm here for all those games. Not just 1 or 2. But for what it's worth, Halo Infinite, Flight Sim and Forza Horizon 5 are as worthy of being 'system sellers' than anything put out on PS5 so far.

Bosws87

Halo's absolute crap, huge potential killed with the shambles of the release and total lack of content down to absolute minimal players and flight sim an system seller. :lol:

Better to just hold your hands up and say the offerings on xbox since release are crap, playstation's are also mostly crap but it does have at least a couple of excellent games.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Halo's absolute crap, huge potential killed with the shambles of the release and total lack of content down to absolute minimal players and flight sim an system seller. :lol:

Better to just hold your hands up and say the offerings on xbox since release are crap, playstation's are also mostly crap but it does have at least a couple of excellent games.
Psychonauts 2 is excellent. Did you play it?