Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Art Vandelay

It's all well and good, but if you want me to buy a console you need to show me more than a racing game from two years ago and Minecraft with ray tracing. Where are the games? They've had several events in a row now where they've had nothing particularly exciting with games outside of Halo and even that has been tainted by 4 and 5. Drip feeding info is fine, but I've seen nothing so far to tempt me to even consider purchasing.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It's all well and good, but if you want me to buy a console you need to show me more than a racing game from two years ago and Minecraft with ray tracing. Where are the games? They've had several events in a row now where they've had nothing particularly exciting with games outside of Halo and even that has been tainted by 4 and 5. Drip feeding info is fine, but I've seen nothing so far to tempt me to even consider purchasing.
They purchased quite a lot of studios so you have to assume each of them will have a minimum of 1 game for the new console. They are drip feeding info so I expect games will be announced in the event they are doing in place of the E3 conference. I reckon Xbox are going to be all guns blazing, once the next gen goes ahead (obviously this all might be delayed now). No idea if that will mean it will sell well but certainly gives us consumers something to think about.

Bojan11

Chill out.

You know making trailers for games takes time. Also with what’s going on in the world that’s going to take longer.

They also going to have a show near E3 time talking about games. For now they revealing all their stuff about the console.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I would hope that given its size that this thing would be very quiet. Proprietary storage sucks, though!

Art Vandelay

Chill out.

You know making trailers for games takes time. Also with what’s going on in the world that’s going to take longer.

They also going to have a show near E3 time talking about games. For now they revealing all their stuff about the console.
They revealed this almost a year ago and have had several shows since. I am chill, I just don't get excited by specs especially when every gen they pull out the specs and what it can do, but rarely do they ever live up to the claims. 4k, hdr and 60fps were claims last gen, they had to release a second upgraded console to even come close to living up to that. I'm simply saying they've been drip feeding this for close to a year and have yet to show me a reason I might want one.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
They revealed this almost a year ago and have had several shows since. I am chill, I just don't get excited by specs especially when every gen they pull out the specs and what it can do, but rarely do they ever live up to the claims. 4k, hdr and 60fps were claims last gen, they had to release a second upgraded console to even come close to living up to that. I'm simply saying they've been drip feeding this for close to a year and have yet to show me a reason I might want one.
What? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Art Vandelay

What? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I only said that so I could soften the blow of my next bit of bad news. The Atari Jaguar was shit and I think Atari might not be a force in gaming soon. I know it's shocking, but we will get through this. Also Sega might be pulling out of the console market, but I'm not sure if I believe that one.

Redlambs

I only said that so I could soften the blow of my next bit of bad news. The Atari Jaguar was shit and I think Atari might not be a force in gaming soon. I know it's shocking, but we will get through this. Also Sega might be pulling out of the console market, but I'm not sure if I believe that one.
Idiot.

I still have my Jaguar and it's great, technically it did everything they said (unlike most other machines, including these new ones). It's not their fault us humans didn't evolve and develop 50 more fingers to use the controller like we were supposed to by then!

Art Vandelay

Idiot.

I still have my Jaguar and it's great, technically it did everything they said (unlike most other machines, including these new ones). It's not their fault us humans didn't evolve and develop 50 more fingers to use the controller like we were supposed to by then!
I sold mine for £90 to a guy who sold it 3 days later for £10 so he could buy drugs. How I laughed. Then he laughed too because he was stoned and an idiot. Needing to insert an overlay into the controller so you'd be able to see what the myriad of buttons did was beyond his ken.

My only fond memories of it are playing as a marine in Alien Versus Predator. I had some other game that involved flying a spaceship and an AI head appearing on the screen. That may have been a game or a nightmare. I'm unsure which.

Redlambs

I sold mine for £90 to a guy who sold it 3 days later for £10 so he could buy drugs. How I laughed. Then he laughed too because he was stoned and an idiot. Needing to insert an overlay into the controller so you'd be able to see what the myriad of buttons did was beyond his ken.

My only fond memories of it are playing as a marine in Alien Versus Predator. I had some other game that involved flying a spaceship and an AI head appearing on the screen. That may have been a game or a nightmare. I'm unsure which.
Cybermorph is brilliant!

And a funny, if not a little sad, note. I have a gaming Keyboard I use for FPS games, one of those half ones, and it has overlay sheets. It's why I love it more than anything :lol:

Art Vandelay

Cybermorph is brilliant!

And a funny, if not a little sad, note. I have a gaming Keyboard I use for FPS games, one of those half ones, and it has overlay sheets. It's why I love it more than anything :lol:
Cybermorph!! That was it. That and AVP were the only games I ever had for it. Not sure if I just couldn't get them here or if they were overly expensive. I didn't even get street cred like the kid who owned a Neo Geo, I just got shunned as the weirdo with the Jaguar until I passed its curse on and went back to playing Virtua Cop.

That's a keyboard though, it's understandable there. Needing an overlay for a joypad remains mental. I think AVP had three different ones. Some of them didn't even fit properly and made the buttons harder to press :lol:. What a time to be alive that was. I was ripped just from hefting the controller around.

Bojan11

Yes and game trailers take time to make.

There’s been only like two next gen games that have been shown off.

Sony will do the exact same tomorrow just talk about the console and they revealed the PS5 last April. Nobody is forcing to listen about what they saying about the consoles. You could just wait till June, when they were most likely talk about games.

Castia

Looks really Impressive, I want Microsoft to do well next gen they've done a lot of good work in recent years.

The console looks good, Gamepass is good and they have more exclusives in production than ever . Will they outsell PS5? nah Sony have too much of a market share but it will be much closer than the current gen.

ArjenIsM3

My Xbone desperately needs an upgrade and since I'm going to be replacing my TV next year as well (LG C9/C10) the Series X would do nicely. Also could do with a new PC though. Total cost of that combined would be about 3k. Maybe I need to prioritize.

Redlambs

I wouldn't take anything seriously that uses the phrase "game-changer".

It's a rendering technique that, whilst pretty cool in how it works and with numerous advantages over resolution based methods, isn't some new groundbreaking breakthrough. Plus it can be done on the PS5 and already is on PC too, before anybody gets too ahead of themselves ;)

Art Vandelay

It's a rendering technique that, whilst pretty cool in how it works and with numerous advantages over resolution based methods, isn't some new groundbreaking breakthrough. Plus it can be done on the PS5 and already is on PC too, before anybody gets too ahead of themselves ;)
It's a "next gen" game changer. That's totally different from a regular game changer.

Ainu

While true, the fact that the next consoles have it in their feature set means we can expect much more widespread support for it from developers, which also has a positive effect on pc development. In that sense it can be a game changer. Same as with raytracing.

Redlambs

While true, the fact that the next consoles have it in their feature set means we can expect much more widespread support for it from developers, which also has a positive effect on pc development. In that sense it can be a game changer. Same as with raytracing.
I'm always a fan of new techniques, just not of buzzword fluff to overhype new machines and get clicks. And this is nowhere near the level of Raytracing in terms of new innovations, although it will be interesting to see how much of that performance VRS (or whatever name others will use for it) can help claw back.

Ainu

I'm always a fan of new techniques, just not of buzzword fluff to overhype new machines and get clicks. And this is nowhere near the level of Raytracing in terms of new innovations, although it will be interesting to see how much of that performance VRS (or whatever name others will use for it) can help claw back.
It wasn't a comparison in terms of significance, just that, like VRS, the new consoles' raytracing hardware support could be a catalyst for it to really take off. Because until now, it's been fairly limited and exclusive to Nvidia Turing cards. With consoles typically being the lowest common denominators that drive game development, the more of these features they support, the better for everyone. PC game development could benifit hugely from it.

Redlambs

It wasn't a comparison in terms of significance, just that, like VRS, the new consoles' raytracing hardware support could be a catalyst for it to really take off. Because until now, it's been fairly limited and exclusive to Nvidia Turing cards. With consoles typically being the lowest common denominators that drive game development, the more of these features they support, the better for everyone. PC game development could benifit hugely from it.
That's always the case though. PC development has been held back by consoles since the Xbox launch, this is nothing new.

If you think yet another technique for saving a few frames is a game changer, then that's absolutely fine. I personally don't, as it won't make a huge enough impact on it's own for that and I can't stand these "look at me!" types over-hyping anything and everything they think is going to push their preferred hardware over others for clicks.

Besides, let's be honest, it's another shortcut to help developers produce quicker without so much optimisation. At least that's what the end result will be as always. That's cool and all, but I'd much rather advances in areas that push games forward, like A.I. and the need for them getting talked about more.

Ainu

That's always the case though. PC development has been held back by consoles since the Xbox launch, this is nothing new.

If you think yet another technique for saving a few frames is a game changer, then that's absolutely fine. I personally don't, as it won't make a huge enough impact on it's own for that and I can't stand these "look at me!" types over-hyping anything and everything they think is going to push their preferred hardware over others for clicks.

Besides, let's be honest, it's another shortcut to help developers produce quicker without so much optimisation. At least that's what the end result will be as always. That's cool and all, but I'd much rather advances in areas that push games forward, like A.I. and the need for them getting talked about more.
Sometimes I really don't get if you're agreeing or disagreeing from your posts. I'm going to take a step back before I get a headache.

Redlambs

Sometimes I really don't get if you're agreeing or disagreeing from your posts. I'm going to take a step back before I get a headache.
Fair enough.

In simple terms I, like my original post states, disagree with trash hype videos that don't tell entire stories and are there merely for clicks. So I tend to counter them from time to time, as I always have done. I think calling a new(ish) technique that saves a few frames whilst not actually revolutionising the way rendering is done a game changer, whilst implying it's an Xbox series X thing (ugh that name), is misleading.

(I do agree that consoles using it is a good thing and will make it more prevalent on the PC, as any technique to help fps is great, but none of that is really relevant to my point)

Bojan11

Well can’t really blame developers or publishers for making cross gen titles. Even MS are doing it for the first year.

Ainu

So... The first gameplay reveal is a cgi trailer?

Edit: "in-engine", but yeah that was clearly nothing like gameplay.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That yakuza game looks awesome