Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So it's a lot less than what was being reported, though where this will go is still a question. Not a lot of confidence because it seems they aren't able to make enough money if Xbox players and therefore needs to expand to other systems do try and be sustainable. These 4 games seem like tests to see how much they can make with this strategy and, if they are successful, implement to bigger games.

Liked that they said Activision games will come in Gamepass, waiting for COD MW to come on.

I don't get the hype around Indiana Jones though, it didn't look great from the trailer.

DavelinaJolie

As he said, they'll learn from the first four they release elsewhere, more MS games will release multi-platform, but likely to be smaller games or non-tentpole community based games.

What a surprise, everyone overreacted.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As he said, they'll learn from the first four they release elsewhere, more MS games will release multi-platform, but likely to be smaller games or non-tentpole community based games.

Somewhere in the middle. Indiana Jones and Starfield aren't coming out now but he certainly didn't outright say they won't ever.

It's clear that they are burning cash with the Xbox not selling as well as they would have wanted, after already suffering with the previous generation, and they need to create additional revenue. It starts with 4 small games but could easily go into someone bigger, and it likely will.

Fully Fledged

That's pretty much what the graphic they had at the ABK trial said would happen.

Ainu

Sounds like the initial rumours about Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves were correct. I assume the other two are Pentiment and possibly Grounded, based on how they were described, but we'll have to wait and see.

DavelinaJolie

Sounds like the initial rumours about Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves were correct. I assume the other two are Pentiment and possibly Grounded, based on how they were described, but we'll have to wait and see.
Those are the games that The Verge have put out.

Makes sense.

Everyone that hasn't should play Pentiment. It's bloody great.

DavelinaJolie

Somewhere in the middle. Indiana Jones and Starfield aren't coming out now but he certainly didn't outright say they won't ever.

It's clear that they are burning cash with the Xbox not selling as well as they would have wanted, after already suffering with the previous generation, and they need to create additional revenue. It starts with 4 small games but could easily go into someone bigger, and it likely will.
To me stuff like Indiana Jones is a weird thing to be exclusive, he'll the Bethesda stuff in general is. I can see it being a year then out on other platforms.

The whole market is going to go this way, you had the interim head of Playstation talking more about PC releases yesterday. These companies are trying maximise their profit on software which is costing hundreds of millions to make, and they all know the only way to really do that is chip away at "exclusivity".

Fully Fledged

If me playing on GP means Xbox games go to PS, I'm okay with that. While they put their games D&D on GP I'm playing them on GP, and they doubled down on D&D.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I am not a charity. I'm on there to play games as cheaply as I can. If they fail that's down to their business model. I don't think they will though.
Yeah it seems to be about gamepass going forwards... I don't see how this improves the equality of their output, but once it eventually does I'll get a streamer or stream on PC for those day ones, and then cancel.... Hopefully it works out for em

Fully Fledged

Yeah it seems to be about gamepass going forwards... I don't see how this improves the equality of their output, but once it eventually does I'll get a streamer or stream on PC for those day ones, and then cancel.... Hopefully it works out for em
You'll probably be able to stream on a tv when streaming really takes a step up in quality.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
If me playing on GP means Xbox games go to PS, I'm okay with that. While they put their games D&D on GP I'm playing them on GP, and they doubled down on D&D.
Yea to be honest if games aren't exclusive to Xbox but GP users get them immediately then I wouldn't mind staying on Xbox.

GP is fantastic for casual gamers like me. Played a bit of A Plagues Tale Requiem, played a bit of Hellblade (will try to finish it) and now getting into Halo 2 :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
34 million :drool:

The differences between superheroes and GoW are marginal at best

Edit - Here's an example of a better argument than I can be arsed to present right now.

Superhero games are that frickin amazing huh?

caid

The 4 announced games are all pretty good. They do fill a bit of a multiplayer gap on ...

Don't make me tap the sign.
Erm, so how does this work now? :lol:

People who haven't played Grounded and Sea of Thieves before will enjoy them. I hear there might be a good multiplayer shooter out at the moment too in some undisclosed location that might tide them over in the mean time.
I should just move to the general gaming thread i guess. Just being awkward

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The 4 announced games are all pretty good. They do fill a bit of a multiplayer gap on ...

Erm, so how does this work now? :lol:

People who haven't played Grounded and Sea of Thieves before will enjoy them. I hear there might be a good multiplayer shooter out at the moment too in some undisclosed location that might tide them over in the mean time.
I should just move to the general gaming thread i guess. Just being awkward
I guess it'd be more suited to the PS5 thread but if you're talking about the strategy in general and what it means for Xbox that is fine here. Personally I wouldn't have any problem with that sort of discussion in either thread... main bit of contention was GoWR being brought up here.

Bebe

So they reported 25 million in January 2022, and now report 34 million in February 2024. 2 years and they've added 9 million subscribers...but that 9 million includes the switchover from XBL Gold to GP Core.

In May 2020, Xbox reported that XBL Gold had 46 million subscribers.

There's some data missing (ie, what the overlap of XBL Gold and GamePass subscribers was prior to the switch to GP Core), but overall it really doesn't sound to me like they've added many, if any, new subscribers to GamePass.

It would surely be more relevant to disclose the increase in subscribers of GamePass Console, PC and Ultimate individually...unless those statistics aren't favourable.

Fully Fledged

So they reported 25 million in January 2022, and now report 34 million in February 2024. 2 years and they've added 9 million subscribers...but that 9 million includes the switchover from XBL Gold to GP Core.

In May 2020, Xbox reported that XBL Gold had 46 million subscribers.

There's some data missing (ie, what the overlap of XBL Gold and GamePass subscribers was prior to the switch to GP Core), but overall it really doesn't sound to me like they've added many, if any, new subscribers to GamePass.

It would surely be more relevant to disclose the increase in subscribers of GamePass Console, PC and Ultimate individually...unless those statistics aren't favourable.
I've been saying that with the added gold subscribers the figure makes no sense. Sarah also said that 34 million players could play D4 on Game pass. so they are adding D4 to core? We've got to remember that Tom Warren was the guy who said Indy was coming to PS day one so his sources might not be trusted.

Bebe

I've been saying that with the added gold subscribers the figure makes no sense. Sarah also said that 34 million players could play D4 on Game pass. so they are adding D4 to core? We've got to remember that Tom Warren was the guy who said Indy was coming to PS day one so his sources might not be trusted.
Xbox have confirmed that the 34 million number includes GP Core, and that the "Diablo 4 for 34 million GP subs" comment was not accurate, and that Diablo 4 will not be available on GP Core.

I don't think I see any explanation for the numbers announced other than GP subs have barely grown over the past couple years, if they've grown at all. It in fact seems more likely that the number of GP subs has dropped marginally (~2 million).

Fully Fledged

Xbox have confirmed that the 34 million number includes GP Core, and that the "Diablo 4 for 34 million GP subs" comment was not accurate, and that Diablo 4 will not be available on GP Core.

I don't think I see any explanation for the numbers announced other than GP subs have barely grown over the past couple years, if they've grown at all. It in fact seems more likely that the number of GP subs has dropped marginally (~2 million).
With what they posted in 2020 for Gold subscribers(46M), they have lost at least 12m subscribers then. How is this not a bigger story.