Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Agreed. Combat looks very average & there wasn't much personality on show. The 1000 worlds thing also sounds like a bad idea right from the outset, you can't expect much in the way of curation with that many locations.
Not to be a dick but when did Fallout or Skyrim ever have good combat? It seems like a strange position to take, one many are, unless you're coming in with expectations of a different genre/style game..

For me it's far more worth considering/criticising how good the dialogue/characterisation will be after all the problems Fallout 4 had

People thinking it doesn't look good - I don't know what their expectations were but these games have always been great because of their depth, the world, the story, and the freedom to do what you want. Not because of how the combat looks, which is basically all we saw.
Basically this

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Everything people are saying in regards to Starfield/general Bethesda criticisms are probably pretty accurate. But despite the flaws these games hook me in like nothing else.

Let's be honest, we'll all play the shit out of it, have a lot of fun, and it will go down as a major event of this generation, like Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim and FO4 before.

I don't think anyone should expect Starfield to be perfect or reinvent the RPG genre. But it's still going to be a blast.
The thing is, if you looked at their past games, the ones that people have praised as some of the best games ever, they wouldn't look amazing in clips either if you didn't know any better, which you've essentially alluded to there. Yeah, it should be more impressive than those now, but there's a clear improvement in graphics, even if the animations aren't mind blowing. Hopefully other steps forward too.

Agree, the 1000 planets thing could be an issue, or it could be great. Lots of planets works for NMS as it adds to the sheer vastness and exploration, but also means they can be quite dull. I'll be interested to know what they do about that, if anything.

largelyworried

Not to be a dick but when did Fallout or Skyrim ever have good combat? It seems like a strange position to take, one many are, unless you're coming in with expectations of a different genre/style game..

For me it's far more worth considering/criticising how good the dialogue/characterisation will be after all the problems Fallout 4 had

Basically this
I mean, since those were flaws in games from 7 to 10 years ago, I think its fair for them to bring those elements up to speed if its going to be a GOTY contender.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I mean, since those were flaws in games from 7 to 10 years ago, I think its fair for them to bring those elements up to speed if its going to be a GOTY contender.
Every game that has scale has flaws. Clearly its one of the most ambitious games coming out, and it can't be the best at everything to everyone.

Combat looks more than passable to me. Obviously it'd be much tighter in something like COD but there's not unlimited resources.

It's a fair criticism and reason to not like a game but there is definitely a focus on those 'could be improved' elements over the core elements the game is looking to deliver - scope and scale.

Not surprising since a lot of people on here don't have a system that can play the game, so would rather focus on the negatives than having FOMO.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Every game that has scale has flaws. Clearly its one of the most ambitious games coming out, and it can't be the best at everything to everyone.

Combat looks more than passable to me. Obviously it'd be much tighter in something like COD but there's not unlimited resources.

It's a fair criticism and reason to not like a game but there is definitely a focus on those 'could be improved' elements over the core elements the game is looking to deliver - scope and scale.

Not surprising since a lot of people on here don't have a system that can play the game, so would rather focus on the negatives than having FOMO.
I have two systems that can play it and I'm still wary after how poor Fallout 4 was and some of what I saw in the trailer. That said I'll still play it, cause gamepass, and it'll probably be a perfectly fine way to spend dozens of hours, so that's fine. I also would prefer it would more Bethesda of old than new.

Alock1

I have two systems that can play it and I'm still wary after how poor Fallout 4 was and some of what I saw in the trailer. That said I'll still play it, cause gamepass, and it'll probably be a perfectly fine way to spend dozens of hours, so that's fine. I also would prefer it would more Bethesda of old than new.
I said its a fair criticism and reason to not like it. Me, Veeva and others have already said the game needs to show the vast scale isn't dull and lifeless and said the combat isnt great / looks passable.

Just saying, the perception is largely weighted to the negatives here despite them showing some really cool stuff, which I'm certain is aggravated because a lot of people won't be able to access it anyway (like every other big exclusive). People who haven't liked Bethesda games in the past, or lost some trust after recent games then fair enough. But there are also people that would have told you Besthesda games are their favourite ever franchises for their scale and world building, who are now not interested in Starfield because of poor gunplay.

largelyworried

I'm not suggesting that has to be the best at everything to everyone, or have shooting mechanics as tight as a dedicated shooter, that's just a strawman. But even for a game with multiple mechanics, each element of that game has to have at least a decent minimum standard for the overall game to stand out - weakest link in the chain etc.

Besides, I also said I thought it lacked personality & that the 1000 worlds thing feels like a bad idea, its not like combat was my only reservation.

Alock1

I'm not suggesting that has to be the best at everything to everyone, or have shooting mechanics as tight as a dedicated shooter, that's just a strawman. But even for a game with multiple mechanics, each element of that game has to have at least a decent minimum standard for the overall game to stand out - weakest link in the chain etc.

Besides, I also said I thought it lacked personality & that the 1000 worlds thing feels like a bad idea, its not like combat was my only reservation.
Wasn't just aimed at you.

The 1000 worlds feels mostly a marketing tool. I fully expect that there is 10-20 carefully curated worlds where the story mainly takes place. Busy work collecting resources might be from those 1000 worlds but hopefully it's fairly optional/doesn't require lots of time.

Said earlier in the thread but the worst thing about Cyberpunk for me was that the world didn't feel dynamic or lived in enough, with some of the open world elements feeling a few gens old (cars spawning/disappearing in front of you or sat still until you drive towards them) so totally agree with that reservation.

Alock1

And yet, Series X's were in stock yesterday and I made the impulse purchase :lol:
Nice! You won't regret it.

Research the 3 years Gamepass for £121 trick - buy 3 years of gold at £40 each and redeem on your account, then buy 1 month of gamepass on dashboard and it should convert 3 years live to 3 years gamepass.

Even if the £1 sub option isn't there, one month at £11 should also work.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Everything people are saying in regards to Starfield/general Bethesda criticisms are probably pretty accurate. But despite the flaws these games hook me in like nothing else.

Let's be honest, we'll all play the shit out of it, have a lot of fun, and it will go down as a major event of this generation, like Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim and FO4 before.

I don't think anyone should expect Starfield to be perfect or reinvent the RPG genre. But it's still going to be a blast.
Fallout 4 was crap. Didn’t even manage to complete it.

TrustInJanuzaj

I’m definitely more interested in Avowed (or whatever it’s called). I didn’t really like Outer Worlds much but I’m hoping the magic/melee approach will make this more like Skyrim and therefore a better overall game.

b82REZ

The reality is Bethesda have been on a steady decline since Skyrim.

Fallout 4 was badly received, the less said about 76 the better.

The fact Starfield doesn't look like much has been iterated on from a tired formula is the worrying part. As it stands it looks like a slightly prettier Fallout, in space.

Cyberpunk shows a lot of gamers are sick of this first person "RPG". Currently Starfield looks like it's cut from the same cloth.

Alock1

The fact Starfield doesn't look like much has been iterated on from a tired formula is the worrying part. As it stands it looks like a slightly prettier Fallout, in space.

Cyberpunk shows a lot of gamers are sick of this first person "RPG". Currently Starfield looks like it's cut from the same cloth.
Maybe. Let's see.

It can't have the same impact the likes of FO3/NW or Skyrim had, things have moved on and this isn't looking to innovate. Cyberpunk is a strange one - because it still sold huge numbers (20 million) and got critical acclaim.

With Starfield being on Gamepass, huge numbers are inevitable, but it'll certainly be interesting to see how many people actually stick with it.

TrustInJanuzaj

Cant disagree. And yet I still can’t help but continuously excited about the prospect of a new Elder Scrolls. Skyrim was just an incredible game for me and one that I still play. I basically just need more of the same in a slightly updated package. Fallout 4 on the other hand I didn’t enjoy at all. Boring gameplay, poor characters, not many memorable locations. Personally think this looks very much Fallout in Space which just doesn’t massively appeal to me personally. Having said that when I do pick up an Xbox down the line I’ll certainly give it a go.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
It can't have the same impact the likes of FO3/NW or Skyrim had, and this isn't looking to innovate.
This is such a strange opinion and train of thought. Not saying just you specifically, but there's a lot of "it's fallout in space, that's all I expect" as if you are all trying to justify it not being particularly great from the off and already downplaying it. Ask yourselves, is that a good sign you have to do that?

There's absolutely no reason they can't be trying something that innovates, no reason at all (apart from being cheap) to be using the same engine that ran Morrowind and was shit to work with even then.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to it but not getting my hopes up. I always have and will always be gameplay first. But when the gameplay also looks dated, then the CP2077 comparisons are apt because we were warned about how that plays from early videos and people were doing exactly the same then "oh you can't really tell!" but yeah, you can.

But we can all (well most of us) unite in simply wanting another belter of a game to play, so I'll be ecstatic to be wrong (for once ;)).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why does everything have to be innovative when it's Xbox? I've seen absolutely no calls for this on here any other time. Despite what Ainu thinks.

I don't exactly see much innovation across the board, but the same people saying this here manage to muster up excitement for other games that are also devoid of innovation.

Massive Spanner

Why does everything have to be innovative when it's Xbox? I've seen absolutely no calls for this on here any other time. Despite what Ainu thinks.

I don't exactly see much innovation across the board?
Ah come on, plenty of open-world games have been slated on here recently for being safe and not innovative. Horizon Forbidden West, Days Gone, Outer Worlds, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk etc. Fallout 4 was also really by the book and a bit of a step back if anything.

I want a sandbox game to come out that is more like The Witcher 3, Elden Ring, or Breath of the Wild and changes how we think about them. Bethesda have the money, experience and resources to do it, if they want. I think people just want something a bit new and different because open-world games have become really stale. Just look at the amount Elden Ring sold by daring to break the formula.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ah come on, plenty of open-world games have been slated on here recently for being safe and not innovative. Horizon Forbidden West, Days Gone, Outer Worlds, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk etc. Fallout 4 was also really by the book and a bit of a step back if anything.

I want a sandbox game to come out that is more like The Witcher 3, Elden Ring, or Breath of the Wild and changes how we think about them. Bethesda have the money, experience and resources to do it, if they want. I think people just want something a bit new and different because open-world games have become really stale. Just look at the amount Elden Ring sold by daring to break the formula.
I agree. I'd love that. I can be happy with something done like other good games with a completely new and potentially exciting theme though, if done well obviously.

If I recall correctly, all those games you mentioned were mostly fawned over on here pre-release. There was a lot of excitement for all of them. I get that the disappointment leads to being wary though.

Massive Spanner

I agree. I'd love that. I can be happy with something done like other good games with a completely new and potentially exciting theme though, if done well obviously.

If I recall correctly, all those games you mentioned were mostly fawned over on here pre-release. There was a lot of excitement for all of them. I get that the disappointment leads to being wary though.
They could have been, Cyberpunk definitely was. Still saddens me that it was so disappointing. I would say the big difference with Cyberpunk is that it came after The Witcher 3 whereas this is coming off the back of Fallout 4. Same with Horizon, off the back of the first, people were rightly excited, and I was disappointed as hell. Don't recall much buzz for Days Gone, maybe some for Ghost but a lot of people did like that despite the usual open world tropes, to be fair.

I actually enjoyed The Outer Worlds, but expectations weren't high, we got Fallout 3 in space which was perfectly fine.

Hopefully they can deliver, I'm more excited than apprehensive, especially as it's on Gamepass anyway so there's nothing to lose here, and this game is a very, very big deal for Microsoft. If it turns out to be shite then people will be really fecked off.

b82REZ

I don't exactly see much innovation across the board, but the same people saying this here manage to muster up excitement for other games that are also devoid of innovation.
Confirmation bias.

Most OW games gets criticised on here. Even the Sony ones.

Sometimes we get a surprise. For example I enjoyed Tsushima, despite the fact most didn't enjoy it on here.

OW games have become very marmite and when Bethesda shows something that looks like it could have been released a decade a go, people are rightly going to be wary, especially considering their recent history.

Bebe

Nice! You won't regret it.

Research the 3 years Gamepass for £121 trick - buy 3 years of gold at £40 each and redeem on your account, then buy 1 month of gamepass on dashboard and it should convert 3 years live to 3 years gamepass.

Even if the £1 sub option isn't there, one month at £11 should also work.
I've got the 3 months for $1 at the moment, I'll look into that 3 years trick.

Did reflect last night on how I'd bought a state of the art console...and the first thing I did was download Fallout: New Vegas.

b82REZ

Maybe. Let's see.

It can't have the same impact the likes of FO3/NW or Skyrim had, things have moved on and this isn't looking to innovate. Cyberpunk is a strange one - because it still sold huge numbers (20 million) and got critical acclaim.

With Starfield being on Gamepass, huge numbers are inevitable, but it'll certainly be interesting to see how many people actually stick with it.
But you and others have long pointed at this as the game that will claw back the Series consoles.

Now you're basically saying we shouldn't expect anything innovative. That's exactly what this was implied to be, the next step in the evolution of Bethesda games.

Alock1

This is such a strange opinion and train of thought. Not saying just you specifically, but there's a lot of "it's fallout in space, that's all I expect" as if you are all trying to justify it not being particularly great from the off and already downplaying it. Ask yourselves, is that a good sign you have to do that?

There's absolutely no reason they can't be trying something that innovates, no reason at all (apart from being cheap) to be using the same engine that ran Morrowind and was shit to work with even then.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to it but not getting my hopes up. I always have and will always be gameplay first. But when the gameplay also looks dated, then the CP2077 comparisons are apt because we were warned about how that plays from early videos and people were doing exactly the same then "oh you can't really tell!" but yeah, you can.

But we can all (well most of us) unite in simply wanting another belter of a game to play, so I'll be ecstatic to be wrong (for once ;)).
I'm not saying it's impossible for them to innovate, just that they are going more, bigger, better route instead. Since they've gone with the same formula, it can't have the same impact that Skyrim and their other previous successes had, as the industry has come on since then and these games are common place. But despite it not having the impact of Skyrim + co, I still expect it to sell bucket loads and be critically acclaimed - like Cyberpunk did.

Not saying that's a good thing either. It was in response to somebody saying that CP reaction shows people are tired of these games - yet CP sold 20 million and got high scores from most outlets.

Alock1

Maybe. We knew the killer games would come later though if you aren't a halo/Forza Horizon fan (if you were, you'd already have an Xbox).

2023/2024 are already looking absolutely stacked if you consider the games announced and the studios we don't even know about yet.

Redfall and Starfield may well be killer apps but obviously impossible to tell from what they showed today.

The killer app is gamepass though if you like console and not PC. I wouldn't trade it for any 5 Sony/Nintendo franchises.
Going anywhere nice? I bet she is gutted she forgot about the Xbox conference isn't she?

Starfield is a weird one. Will be people who want nothing but Fallout/Elder Scrolls in space and others who want something new and innovative. It's one of those games that's been in the development for ages and with hype based on nothing but the studio's pedigree. Think it'll be a bit of a mixed bag reaction.
This is actually what I was saying about Starfield a year ago. Not slating it as the game that will claw Xbox back.

And on the mixed bag comment, some wanting Fallout in Space and others wanting something new + innovative so impossible to please everybody - looks like I was right.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Confirmation bias.
Would imply I thought that first. This is a recent conclusion based off reactions from the last year or so compared to reactions to what we've seen this week. It's also pretty obvious there's a heavy bias in playerbase when it comes to this forum.

Not that it matters. I'm still looking forward to these games.

Bebe

I think the word "innovative" is being overused at this point. I thought the Starfield demo was somewhat underwhelming, and that it lacked much that I'd consider "innovative". The lack of innovation isn't what makes me lukewarm on the title however, its that the game doesn't look exciting. Others have pointed out in this thread that the calling card of Bethesda RPGs used to be some combination of story and gameplay depth, interacting systems, memorable characters/questlines, and probably above all else flexibility. Starfield doesn't have to "innovate" in many ways to hit any of those notes.

My apathy towards the game comes from the developer's record over the last decade, and I suspect that's the case for many others as well. In looking for something "innovative", what we're really looking for is "something that isn't as shallow as Fallout 4 or 76" or "something more like Morrowind/Skyrim/Fallout3/FalloutNV".

Basically, idgaf if Starfield is innovative. What I care about is whether its exciting, or rewarding, or fun. I hope it is, but based on recent Bethesda I worry that it won't be.

Redlambs

I'm not dignifying this post with a detailed reply.

I used to think you were joking like the rest of us. You need to step out of the bubble.

Redlambs

I'm not saying it's impossible for them to innovate, just that they are going more, bigger, better route instead. Since they've gone with the same formula, it can't have the same impact that Skyrim and their other previous successes had, as the industry has come on since then and these games are common place. But despite it not having the impact of Skyrim + co, I still expect it to sell bucket loads and be critically acclaimed - like Cyberpunk did.

Not saying that's a good thing either. It was in response to somebody saying that CP reaction shows people are tired of these games - yet CP sold 20 million and got high scores from most outlets.
Skyrim isn't a great example either, as although it wasn't the very start of the downhill trend it was one of the biggest pushes to dumbing. If you search back, you'll see the same thoughts of mine on the like of this match those like Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2 and even further Deus Ex 2.

I could write a detailed post about why, but I think you yourself already know the answers given the industry you work in. It's about the product and reaching the most people.

And anyway, my point that you haven't addressed very much stands. I'm with you on the fact you've never claimed it would be some massive saviour of Xbox (not like you did last gen with the Kinect 2.0 :lol:), but it's a bit worrying so many people are already accepting it won't be the game they themselves are promoting. Much like CP wasn't, much like Infinite wasn't. We've seen this before, and it's not that we can't enjoy them still, but it's not exactly wrong of people to call it out. In fact in the times we are living in where we are getting fecked over left right and centre in real life, I'd argue more people should be opening their eyes to the truth of what goes on and why bullshot hype should be called out.

But what do I know.

b82REZ

This is actually what I was saying about Starfield a year ago. Not slating it as the game that will claw Xbox back.

And on the mixed bag comment, some wanting Fallout in Space and others wanting something new + innovative so impossible to please everybody - looks like I was right.
Of course by sitting on the fence you've been able to paint it as if you were always predicting correctly.

Generally speaking MS aim for the lowest common denominator for games. Usually FPS games with some online element.

They managed to market themselves the the Bro-gamer console. As the industry moved past that mindset, MS struggled to move forward. They've made some decent moves to rectify this stigma, but the studios they're relying on to deliver their TLOU or GoW have been steadily declining as they too have struggled to move past what once made them popular.

If Starfield is indeed Fallout in space, as it currently appears, they should be rightly panned for that as it is already a trite and tired formula.

Alock1

Of course by sitting on the fence you've been able to paint it as if you were always predicting correctly.

Generally speaking MS aim for the lowest common denominator for games. Usually FPS games with some online element.
So I was sitting on the fence when moments ago I was hyping it as the great savior. Okay mate :)

I 'sat on the fence with Starfield' because as I said, the hype was due to the studio and I thought it was unlikely to meet peoples expectations. Happy to hype up gamepass as the best thing in gaming, Forza Horizon 5 as the best exclusive released since next-gen started, and Halo as the best arena shooter in years.

They have a huge FPS catalogue admittedly but now have lots of diversity too, with the main gap being Japanese games. Of the Sunday showcase - how many were FPS games? Redfall? A game already in development before the acquisition, and supposedly coming with a different spin.

If Starfield is indeed Fallout in space, as it currently appears, they should be rightly panned for that as it is already a trite and tired formula.
Absolutely. Being disappointed that it's more of the same is fair. Saying that it looks poop, not very good, or bad - all taken from this thread, feels like hyperbole to me.

And to Veeva's point - that same criticism isn't levelled fairly across the board. Sony's 1st party output is as formulaic as you can get. The majority are either Ubisoft open world or third-person linear campaigns, and there's very little innovation and hasn't been for a long time.

You fawn over Horizon which has incredibly average gameplay and brings nothing new to the table.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
but it's a bit worrying so many people are already accepting it won't be the game they themselves are promoting.
This makes no sense. It's people with realistic expectations who are hopeful of a good game, and always has been. That we aren't prepared to say it's going to be the best game ever just so you can shit all over that isn't a bad thing. You're literally now knocking people for having a realistic view. Baring in mind also, we still know very little about it and it could actually be brilliant.

I'm not dignifying this post with a detailed reply.

I used to think you were joking like the rest of us. You need to step out of the bubble.
Ah, the classic manoeuvre.

Redlambs

So I was sitting on the fence when moments ago I was hyping it as the great savior. Okay mate :)

I 'sat on the fence with Starfield' because as I said, the hype was due to the studio and I thought it was unlikely to meet peoples expectations. Happy to hype up gamepass as the best thing in gaming, Forza Horizon 5 as the best exclusive released since next-gen started, and Halo as the best arena shooter in years.

They have a huge FPS catalogue admittedly but now have huge diversity. Of the Sunday showcase - how many were FPS games? Redfall? A game already in development before the acquisition, and supposedly coming with a different spin.

Absolutely. Being disappointed that it's more of the same is fair. Saying that it looks poop, not very good, or bad - all taken from this thread, feels like hyperbole to me.

And to Veeva's point - that same criticism isn't levelled fairly across the board. Sony's 1st party output is as formulaic as you can get. The majority are either Ubisoft open world or third-person linear campaigns, and there's very little innovation and hasn't been for a long time.

You fawn over Horizon which has incredibly average gameplay and brings nothing new to the table.
You and @VeevaVee should try to find the original posts I made about Last of Us 1 and GT5. I was as right about them and the likes of Uncharted as I am now.

Did you know, I had a whole campaign down in the newbies against me about the latter? Weaste went on to some gaming sites and told them to come join on here and harass me for mocking the idea of the prologue and the idea we should pay for demos, plus that the game was overbudget for a reason.

I was once known as the biggest MS fanboy on here!

Great times :lol:

caid

I think the word "innovative" is being overused at this point. I thought the Starfield demo was somewhat underwhelming, and that it lacked much that I'd consider "innovative". The lack of innovation isn't what makes me lukewarm on the title however, its that the game doesn't look exciting. Others have pointed out in this thread that the calling card of Bethesda RPGs used to be some combination of story and gameplay depth, interacting systems, memorable characters/questlines, and probably above all else flexibility. Starfield doesn't have to "innovate" in many ways to hit any of those notes.

My apathy towards the game comes from the developer's record over the last decade, and I suspect that's the case for many others as well. In looking for something "innovative", what we're really looking for is "something that isn't as shallow as Fallout 4 or 76" or "something more like Morrowind/Skyrim/Fallout3/FalloutNV".

Basically, idgaf if Starfield is innovative. What I care about is whether its exciting, or rewarding, or fun. I hope it is, but based on recent Bethesda I worry that it won't be.
Definitely in my case.
But it goes further than that. Even the stronger games in the series with a lick of paint just wouldn't be good enough today. They need to innovate because other developers have made the same game and improved on it in numerous cases. Their creepy, dead eyed npc's spitting narrative at you is just such a weak story telling device. Their combat and traversal being floaty and rubbish isn't going to stack up well vs something like swinging around as spiderman or the combat of elden ring.
Space sims are just such a busy space in gaming at the moment too, and most of them are good with no obvious shortcomings.